Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

My first submisson to Workshop!

Hello everyone!
I'm happy to tell that I finaly made my first TF2 workshop submission. I have always wanted to make something for TF2, but just recently I actually started to work on it, finaly I'm using my knoweledge about 3D.
Aftter more or less 2 days watching all kind of tutorials I finaly made my first item for TF2. Modeling wasn't a problem, because I already had pretty big experience with Blender 3D, but the question was how to get the item working in the game. Of course there are some tutorials, altough I wouldn't say there are many of them and many of those tutorials are old already and to be honest, as tutorials they are far from perfect, but still they helped me so much! That's why I'm thankful to everyone who have made some kind of tutorials for TF2 item making, especially helpful was HellJumper's tutorials.
So.. here is my hat - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=296738664

As you can see it's not the most orginal hat you have seen, but I just wanted to make something simple. Next item definitely will be something more interesting.

Also I would be very happy If someone could give me some tips or tutorials where I can learn how to make hat paintable and how to make hat so that every class can wear it!

Thank you for reading! :)

Replies

• EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    It's great to see some newcomers to the TF2 workshop! However, I can't view the hat's page. I can see its name and preview image in your workshop page though. Its name doesn't return anything in search either.

To make paintable items, with the in-game importer, you have 2 options:

- Create a separate material for paintable parts and mark it as paintable in the in-game item importer.
    - Add an alpha channel to your diffuse texture and mark your vmt as paintable. The alpha channel will determine what parts are paintable, whites being paintable and black being not paintable.

In order to make it multi-class, again with the in-game importer, you need to create separate smd/dmx files for each class with their respective skeletons. They should use the same texture(s).

Good luck!
  • Skeindem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!
    Thank you very much for your comment and your advices I will definetly try to apply all this on my model.

About that workshop page... Few friends of mine told me the same, but the thing is, that from very begining when I uploaded this item on workshop everything was fine and everyone could see it, in pretty short amount (few hours) of time I got ~400 views, which is pretty good in my opinion, as a new workshop entrant, but after a while that page became inaccessible and item also does not show up in workshop.

I'm not entirely sure why this is happenings, but I guess it is because I haven't gave them all my payment info. If we are exact then I haven't yet filled all the tax information, because there is few things I don't quite understand because there is so much terms I don't understand in english and also I don't have a clue about the place where they are asking TIN, because I don't even think we do have something like that in our country, but even if I could get to the end of the tax information interview then at the place where it asks to sign the papers and stuff, it also asks for e-mail, and every time when I'm trying to write my e-mail it says this - ''The email address you have entered does not match the email address linked to the Steam account that you used during the Steamworks on-boarding process. The "Submit" button will be greyed out if you provide an alternate email address'', altough I'm 100% sure I did write everything correct.
    So yeah... that's the reason why my item can't be exactly in workshop yet. :(
  • Skeindem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So... While you can't see my hat in workshop, I will at least put some images here.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Valve will ask for payment information if and when your item gets accepted. You don't need to do anything about that right now. They have some good guidelines as well. You get a TIN(the kind that's called an EIN) from the IRS by phone, don't worry about that either. I was pretty anxious before calling but got the number anyway.

For your hat, you definitely need presentation images made with Source Filmmaker. It will help a ton with both view and vote counts. I have a small video in which I explain what buttons to click to create presentation shots with SFM:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVyC6p-t6k4"]Quick TF2 presentation shot tutorial - YouTube[/ame]

There are lots of useful guides here as well:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/1840/guides/

I hope this helps :)
  • Skeindem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeap, I was already downloading Source Filmmaker and today it finaly downloaded (I have slow internet :D) and I already made some pictures with it and Photoshop.
    I also made it paintable now.
    Everything seems much better now.
    Okay, I hope that everything about payment information will be right sooner or later.
    But I still have one damn problem. My item isn't exactly in the workshop. It just doesn't show up altough it's public. When I'm searching for it just isn't there, but when I'm watching it from my profile it's there. And it seems that the only way how others can see it right now is trhrough link (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=296738664)
    but it seems that also that is not always working.
    When I tried to google this problem I just found that more or less three people have had the same problem only with different game workshops, but the soulution in forums was never found.
    I hope that this problem can be solved somehow, I would really like my item to be for real in workshop.
    I already wrote to Steam Support and I hope they will help with it.
    Thanks for advices man! That what you said about paints really helped me :D It was easier than I thought. :)
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Did you get it to work? I get the same error with my email, and I triple checked that I typed it correctly.
  • Skeindem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sadly, but no, I didn't get ir to work yet. I did write to Steam Support, and for now the best what they could tell at the moment is this: "Please try using skeindem@gmail.com without a capitol s. The TIN is only for US users and can be ignored. Please also ensure that you are logged into skeindem on the Steam website when using your browser."
    I think trying to write with and without capitol letters is one of the first thing I tried, and I'm 100% I was loged into Steam when I did it. Otherwise I wouldn't even bother Steam Support if it wasn't really a problem. It's not just my mistake, for that I'm sure.
    Also I decided that I will just get all these Tax things done later.

Firstly I must solve this problem: Why the hell are my items not showing up in workshop?
    This is what I yesterday wrote to Steam Support: "Hello!
    I think I already did write here about this problem, but no one helped me and no one even tried to answer to my question and then my question somehow disapeared.. So I'm asking again.
    Why my items doesn't show up in workshop? The problem actually is simple as that. They just doesn't show up. I have already made my second submission into TF2 workshop. First one was Royal Fortress Hat and the second one Old Army Buddy. Even though they are both in settings as public, they can't be found in workshop. The only way someone can see those items is through my profile. I guess I will never get enough views if it's only possible to see those items just through direct links and my profile.
    I can't just understand why this happens. Old Army Buddy even have that gold star and everything should be fine. Actually I don't even understand why the first item (Royal Fortress Hat) doesn't have that gold star as I did submit it in workshop through in-game exporter and I did everything what should be done, but still there is no gold star at that one.
    But really, I would like this problem about item not showing up in workshop solved, because I would totally like to continue to submit more items. I'm even working on some right now.
    Thank you!"

So yeah... I hope that sooner or later both of these problems will be solved. Let's stick together. If you manage to solve that e-mail problem then definitely write to me! :)
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    That sounds exactly like me :)
    Thanks a lot for sharing, Skeindem. Im also logged in, and tried different kinds of capitalizations etc.
    I guess I will have t submit a support ticket as well, at the very least to let them know you are not the only one :)

I will of course let you know, if I get a response!

Thanks!
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Duh, my advice about tax info was outdated and I apologize for that. I got through the same problem yesterday with the e-mail address.

At first, I ticked only the first checkbox on that page which sounded reasonable and got the e-mail error. Then I came across this solution on reddit which is simply ticking all the boxes. Actually, if you untick one or two of the boxes after ticking all, you get a different error which asks you to "ensure you have ticked all the checkboxes". I don't understand why that needs to be that way though.
  • Skeindem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, yep, I already got through it :) Checkboxes and big lettes in my e-mail was problem, I glad that I finaly got over it. :D I just couldn't understand why I can't submit that tax information, I was so angry... :D Those errors are glitchy or something :D