Home General Discussion

Against - Windows tablet input service

Hey everyone,

Every wacom user who works on windows will know of this problem, this curse.
I am talking ofcourse about: WINDOWS TABLET INPUT SERVICE.

That annoying little cirle appearing to pause every thing you do for a few seconds. That never ending torture which is so hard to eradicate from your pc.

Well, that bothers me too. But appearantly, you, me and thousands of other tablet users can go fuck ourselves because Microsoft is ignoring and improving this problem. Customer service +1

My goal is to get Microsofts attention, so that they can finally deal with this shitty driver. In order to do so (and vent my frustration) I've taken the initiative of starting this facebook page. So that when it has alot of followers I can send a link to microsofts customer service, head office, whatever, and demonstrate that this really is a problem that needs to be fixed urgently.

It really needs to go!

Please join the cause here:
https://www.facebook.com/antiwindowstabletinputservice

Replies

• Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Can't you just disable the service? Run "services", find Tablet Pc Input Service (I think that's the one?) and set its startup type to "disabled".
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    This seems like ill thought out spam. I fixed this "problem" back three years ago when i simply disabled the function in windows through a handy checkbox in a easy to reach menu...

Do some research and put a little effort instead of "It's not how i want it, change it for me".

Edit here, tell your friends.

bMjOLe9.png
  • WarrenM
    If only it were so simple. There are 3 or 4 things you need to disable and they don't always take and the reboots in between suck up time. It's dumb and should be changed. Most tablet users don't want that crap. I don't know why it's on by default.

EDIT : Which checkbox?
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Offline / Send Message
    Not once have i ever had to uncheck that box again.

It's not hard at all really.
  • Overlord
    Click start>right click Computer>click manage and input admin password>click "services and applications">click services>find "Tablet PC Input Service">Disable>Reboot>Be happy.
  • MetalBear
    Look, this is not a matter of being too lazy to fix it myself. I did my research, and in fact, I did the same thing you suggested. And yes, it does work, but not always. This "not always" and the fact that you have to go through all this trouble because microsoft choses to ignore a large group of users, is the reason why I am asking for support.
    Because microsoft claims it is not their problem, instead, it is wacom's problem.

This problem with the drivers, is getting worse with each new windows version and it will continue to do so. Why? Because microsoft is more "tablet" oriented. Not wacom tablet, touch screen tablet oriented. So wacom users get put on a low priority. Link: http://viziblr.com/news/2012/8/18/windows-8-rtm-and-wacom-tablets-better-but-flawed.html

ps.

Appreciate it if you would not call this ill thought spam. I'm trying to get awareness and support so something can be done about this.
  • WarrenM
    Click start>right click Computer>click manage and input admin password>click "services and applications">click services>find "Tablet PC Input Service">Disable>Reboot>Be happy.
    I think it's great that's all you had to do. I've always had to do more, unfortunately.
  • WarrenM
    Lazerus

I think you've blocked something out of your memory because Flicks is not what causes the little ring to appear or any of the other crap.
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    also go to "control panel -> human interface devices" and disable "Wacom Virtual Hid Driver"
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Offline / Send Message
    Really? It's literally only been two months since i threw a new SSD in so i had to reboot. I've never done anything more than that box, nothing in application menus or blocking services, never had issue. I must just be a lucky one or something, I'm using a Wacom intuos 4.

animated-shrug-house.gif
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    I think it's great that's all you had to do. I've always had to do more, unfortunately.

I could be wrong, I haven't really messed with this in a while, but any attempts by windows or other services to re-activate it should kick you an error message if this is set to disabled:

tablet.jpg

or are there other problems I'm not aware of?
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    hmm... I remember this being a pain for all of 3 minutes with the new computer, then I disabled it and haven't had a problem since.
  • MetalBear
    @ Joseph, you are right, it should keep it disabled. However, sometimes, it does suddenly decide to ignore that setting and pops-up anyway. Why? My guess is as good as yours.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    MetalBear wrote: »
    @ Joseph, you are right, it should keep it disabled. However, sometimes, it does suddenly decide to ignore that setting and pops-up anyway. Why? My guess is as good as yours.

Perhaps certain updates or drivers you're installing are updating and re-activating the service? It should be a simple matter of navigating back and disabling it again, though.

As far as I know, software running on your computer day to day can only re-activate it if it's set to 'automatic' in that dropdown.
  • Overlord
    Look, this is not a matter of being too lazy to fix it myself. I did my research, and in fact, I did the same thing you suggested. And yes, it does work, but not always. This "not always" and the fact that you have to go through all this trouble because microsoft choses to ignore a large group of users, is the reason why I am asking for support.
    Because microsoft claims it is not their problem, instead, it is wacom's problem.

This problem with the drivers, is getting worse with each new windows version and it will continue to do so. Why? Because microsoft is more "tablet" oriented. Not wacom tablet, touch screen tablet oriented. So wacom users get put on a low priority. Link: http://viziblr.com/news/2012/8/18/windows-8-rtm-and-wacom-tablets-better-but-flawed.html

ps.

Appreciate it if you would not call this ill thought spam. I'm trying to get awareness and support so something can be done about this.

There is no reason why it shouldn't work. If it doesn't, then you did something wrong. I don't see why you need to start a petition to force MS to fix something that is quick and easy to fix. They put the tablet service in there for a reason and anyone that can use a search engine can solve the conflict.

Clearly, MS didn't want to fork their OS further just so Wacom users (a small segment of their customers) don't have to go through a couple menus to disable the service. They wanted all tablet PC installations to go off without a hitch because a tablet that has a unresponsive touch screen is far worse than a minor drawing tablet conflict. Honestly, I think you're acting a bit entitled. If you don't like the way Windows does it, there are plenty of free OS's that you can choose from.
  • MetalBear
    This is my last reply, because really this is taking all my energy and obviously some are fine with this tablet driver.

@Overlord, you are right. Not having any tablet input for lack of drivers is worse. However the default drivers are not working correctly either. Can I be free and try to change this for the better? Why not?

Also, just pointing out that the personal critism here is really not justified.
  • Overlord
    This is my last reply, because really this is taking all my energy and obviously some are fine with this tablet driver.

@Overlord, you are right. Not having any tablet input for lack of drivers is worse. However the default drivers are not working correctly either. Can I be free and try to change this for the better? Why not?

Also, just pointing out that the personal critism here is really not justified.

I'm sorry you feel that way, however, you're making a big stink over something that has a simple solution and it makes you seem unreasonable. MS isn't going to pay their expensive programmers to fix a minor issue that is user serviceable. You're wasting time and energy on a lost cause. That's why I gave the personal criticism.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    Just to add to this topic, you can also turn off "Tablet PC Components". You will find it in "Control Panel->Unistall a program" and on left side of window pick "Turn Windows featurs on or off".

This and "Tablet PC Input Service" in "services.msc" and you will be happy like it didn't existed ever.

"Services.msc" is also a good way to restart Wacom driver. I got Cintiq20WSX and sometimes after day of no use (and turned off) Windows disables monitor on second input(my Cintiq) and I have to RMB on Desktop and select "Screen Resolution->Detect" to wake up Windows to detect Cintiq again (without need to restart computer). But this may be not enough because Wacom driver may be also broken, even if it shows that it's On in Services. You have to Stop it (not Restart) and turn On again.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Overlord wrote: »
    There is no reason why it shouldn't work. If it doesn't, then you did something wrong. I don't see why you need to start a petition to force MS to fix something that is quick and easy to fix. They put the tablet service in there for a reason and anyone that can use a search engine can solve the conflict.

Clearly, MS didn't want to fork their OS further just so Wacom users (a small segment of their customers) don't have to go through a couple menus to disable the service. They wanted all tablet PC installations to go off without a hitch because a tablet that has a unresponsive touch screen is far worse than a minor drawing tablet conflict. Honestly, I think you're acting a bit entitled. If you don't like the way Windows does it, there are plenty of free OS's that you can choose from.

Umm, you realize the old Win 7 version no longer works in 8? There is a different attack using the registry, but it then adds a delay to your clicks. So its really not a solution.

The original poster has every right to start a petition. Using facebook though seems very unorganized. I would suggest using that facebook page to link to this. http://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/wacom-and-microsoft-fix-the-wacom-driver-issues-and-windows-8-pen-subsystem?utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=url_share&utm_campaign=url_share_before_sign

Overlord: While I support the open OS idea, your acting aloof and unrealistic considering our career Overlord. Until Adobe, Autodesk, Pixologic and most third party programs work in Linux while fully supporting openGL shaders, your "advice" is just a silly excuse to disregard others.
  • spitty
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty polycounter lvl 17
    in the past i've had weird problems with tablet input service getting restarted too. of all things, watching netflix movies reenabled it for me (something to do with silverlight i think) 3dsmax did it too sometimes. maybe it was user error on my part, but it never seemed like there was a one checkbox fix when i was having these issues.

the thing that fixed everything for me was this. it just automatically makes all the changes for you, maybe i forgot one step when i did it myself.
    http://viziblr.com/news/2011/8/13/fix-my-pen-makes-your-wacom-tablet-just-work-on-windows-7.html
  • Overlord
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Umm, you realize the old Win 7 version no longer works in 8? There is a different attack using the registry, but it then adds a delay to your clicks. So its really not a solution.

The original poster has every right to start a petition. Using facebook though seems very unorganized.

Edit: While I support the open OS idea, your acting aloof and unrealistic considering our career Overlord. Until Adobe, Autodesk, Pixologic and most third party programs work in Linux while fully supporting openGL shaders, your "advice" is just a silly excuse to disregard others.

I didn't notice the mention of Win 8. Win 8 is a monstrosity that should be avoided. If the issue is with Win 8, I retract my previous statement and apologize. The OP should have clarified that better. As bad as the Win 8 tablet issue is, I don't see how he's going to make any progress getting them to change it when so much of that OS is broken by design. Win 8 completely abandons the desktop PC and desktop users should abandon Win 8. Stick with Win 7 or XP, Win 8 is not made for professionals. It caters to PC's as an entertainment appliance rather than a tool to get work done.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually I use and like 8. Its more responsive than 7, and personally I can overlook the ring (for the most part). Soon buying a new system you won't have a choice so you better get used to it now and support such initiatives. That way by the time its all there is for new windows boxes, you will not have such headaches fixed us early adopters use.
  • Overlord
    Actually I use and like 8. Its more responsive than 7, and personally I can overlook the ring (for the most part). Soon buying a new system you won't have a choice so you better get used to it now and support such initiatives. That way by the time its all there is for new windows boxes, you will not have such headaches fixed us early adopters use.

I don't buy, I build.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    So do I, (except Laptops), but your missing the point. Someday you will have to deal with it. Especially if you work for a company as they will buy vs build.

So instead of just seeing whats in front of you, looking ahead, having this addressed now will solve you headache later.
  • Overlord
    So do I, (except Laptops), but your missing the point. Someday you will have to deal with it. Especially if you work for a company as they will buy vs build.

So instead of just seeing whats in front of you, looking ahead, having this addressed now will solve you headache later.

Yeah, you're right. I forgot that little detail. Of course it would be better if it was fixed. Although, I don't think complaining will amount to any action on their part. I'd rather find solutions I can implement myself. I have no patience in waiting for MS support to fix the problem.

Linux isn't completely out of the question though. Valve has found Source engine games perform better in Linux than they do in Windows. Zbrush 4R4 and Photoshop CS6 work under Wine out of the box (i.e. they run as good as Windows native). Max is a bit more finicky since only much older version work well. Maya fails completely. Blender is making great strides in becoming a suitable alternative. The upshot of moving to Linux is that the studio can tweak the OS to their own needs, much like they create custom pipeline modules for Max and Maya.
  • leilei
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Offline / Send Message

Or as most professionals do, boycott it until the next, more stable version of windows 9 is out. I, along with most colleagues simply boycotted windows Vista and windows 7, until Windows 7 was stable and supported properly.

Due caution is all it takes to save yourself headaches and keep to your professional quota.

And companies will take every risk to productivity seriously, especially if there software/ hardware has a high risk of not working correctly.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    This is the most ridiculous thread I have seen in a while. I have to turn off a feature in order to use my tablet so I'm going to create a facebook page that says FUCK MICROSOFT, and have excessive use of caps.
  • benji
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    Quoting myself from another thread regarding Windows 8 and tablet:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115445
    Yep, I'm having the same problems with Intuos 5 and Windows 8 (annoying pen feedback, drag delay, menu lock up to name a few) and tearing my hair out.

I've been trawling the internet looking for solutions and tried every one of them to no avail - registry edits, settings, new drivers, old drivers, disabling system files - nothing works. It seems these problems are well documented on forums and Wacom/Microsoft support, but Wacom blame Microsoft and Microsoft blame Wacom.
    Maybe it's just a matter of time to wait for a driver that fixes the problems, but by Wacom's record it will be a long time. In the meantime I'm seriously considering downgrading to Windows 7 at extra expense

The main issues for me are:
    Click and drag delay, which makes using any software that doesn't auto-disable it horrible, and CANNOT be turned off in Windows 8 as a whole
    And right-click menu lock up, which renders the quad menu and other features in Max useless, to name an example
    These problems didn't exist in 7 and it really pisses me off.
  • WarrenM
    Seriously congrats to the people who are able to fix this with a simple checkbox click. That's great news. I'm happy for you! However, please try to understand that it's MUCH more of a pain for other people. I've spent a lot of time on some computers getting this crap to go away because Windows refuses to listen.

It's a stupid default and it should be off by default. I can't imagine why anyone would want ring spooge everywhere they click, a delay on dragging, right click menus popping up when they click and hold for more than a 1/4 second, and all the other garbage that Windows does.

If it's an easy fix for you, that's awesome. I wish it was for all of us.
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    I have to agree with MetalBear and WarrenM. I have tried all the solutions other people have mentioned, and also others found on the web, but I have not found a reliable solution to permanently get rid of it. That goes for my home and work Windows 7 PC.
    spitty wrote: »
    the thing that fixed everything for me was this. it just automatically makes all the changes for you, maybe i forgot one step when i did it myself.
    http://viziblr.com/news/2011/8/13/fix-my-pen-makes-your-wacom-tablet-just-work-on-windows-7.html

This has also worked for me and is what I use at home. But for some reason after booting windows the right click on my pen doesn't work for the first 15 minutes or so. Right click was completely disabled on my work machine with this.

A petition is totally valid.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    from last time i dealt with the issue i kept those links handy - tips from one of these must have worked for me:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=14&t=862830
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=856085

and yeas - it's not as straight forward to get rid of the tablet input stuff as some people here make it sound.
  • Calabi
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I got rid of it and then it came back. And disabling of services didnt work at all this time.

I cant remember what I did to fix it, I think I renamed the file or something.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    All this win8 trouble sounds terrible -- sorry if I was dismissive! Hope one of these solutions works for all of you.
  • 2cat
    Offline / Send Message
    2cat polycounter lvl 5
    For those of you who are using an Intuos 4 on Win 8(not sure if it works with Intuos 5) I've been having great experiences with the 6.1.6-7 driver version. Although its an old driver version it removes the win8 lag, doesn't have the rightclick issue in 3DS Max and also removes several animations you can't remove anymore like you could in 7.

If you have preference files made for newer drivers you can still import those even if it gives an error that it's made for a newer version and isn't compatible. What you have to do is open the file with notepad and change the version number it was created for to 6.1.6-7. The pref file will then load just fine.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    They haven't taken Windows 7 off of the market yet, you really shouldn't be using Windows 8 in a production environment this soon. Even if you bought a new boxed system, wipe it and install Windows 7.