Home General Discussion

Going to College for Game Art

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
programmer23 polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys,

I am looking at going to college to get a degree in Game Art or Game Design. I have heard that having a degree really helps when trying to get a studio job.

In case you were going to say something about an art degree being the most useless thing you can get, I already have an AA in Computer Science to fall back on if this fails. :)

Are there any colleges with good programs that you know of in or near Maryland, USA. I really have no idea where to even start looking. I know University of Baltimore has a program, but with their page showing art that is not really that good does not really give me a great feeling about it.

University of Baltimore - Simulation and Digital Entertainment

Thanks for any help you can give!

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Just to make sure we're clear here, what do you mean by "game design?"

Because I have this feeling a LOT of colleges muddle game design with game art, thinking they're somehow synonymous, when they're not.
  • programmer23
    Offline / Send Message
    By game design, I would mean the more technical aspects such as level design, character design, VFX, or game programming. I understand that might not be the right term but that is the general idea.

What I would really like doing is Game art as a Prop or Character artist as that is what I have the most experience in.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Any school that claims to effectively teach that particular definition of game design should probably be seen as questionable. There are way too many complex discplines in there to end up witha useful skill set by graduation from what I can see, and this is coming from a specified program like USC's IMGD.

Are you willing to go to an out-of-state school?
  • programmer23
    Offline / Send Message
    If that's what it comes down to, yes.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    What are you going to this prospective school to learn, exactly? During your time at this school, what would your goals be?
  • Bal
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    If you want to do game art, going to a good art school sounds like a better idea usually!
  • desiremontreal
    devientart is best source for your requirements
  • OutOfMyMind
    Offline / Send Message
    OutOfMyMind polycounter lvl 5
    BagelHero wrote: »
    During your time at this school, what would your goals be?
    In my opinion lack of answer to this question is why people go to such schools, if he had a clear goals he wouldn't go for that because he can learn everything from the internet. Maybe there he will learn to define his goals.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Hm, well, of course taking your time to work that stuff out is an individual's choice and a good idea for some... but for this case and in my personal experience, those are also for the most part the people who come out the other end having only gotten a piece of paper and a gap in portfolio work to show for it.

If you go to school just to get that piece of paper, it's not going to help you much in this field. But if you know what you want to learn going in, then you can narrow down what kind of environment you're looking for, and as such ideal school (art school, game school, community college...), or if you even need a school. In my opinion, it's a much better idea to go in with research already done and goals set (even if said goals are fairly big, simple or vague). This minimizes the chance of fucking up and opting for a school that has a laughable, uber-dated course.

I went to a "game art" school (AIE, for the record). It was alright overall, but I knew I went for the specific reason of wanting to learn how to use 3D programs and complete workflows (the technical side, in other words) after trying for months to learn it at home with no such luck picking anything up (I'd been focused on 2D learning/work seriously for a good 3-4 years prior at this point, and very much wanted to do concept work. Originally I think I only wanted to learn 3D so I knew what I should and shouldn't include in my designs, but I digress).

I personally needed a school environment to absorb the information, and every cent was worth it because I did actually manage to get into 3D there, and love it as equally as I love doing 2D work now. It gave me technical 3D skills, local contacts (and work experience), and free time to learn stuff the course wasn't teaching me on the side because it was only a half-week course and I wasn't fussed with the technicalities of passing on solo projects as much as I was intent on learning the skills of being a character artist. Because I was surrounded by like-minded people, and was focused more on the technical side of things, no local art schools really seemed like a better fit for me.

But it was also a horribly generalist course. Well, generalist is one thing (I wouldn't take them seriously if they tried to open a separate character art stream either lol), but this... Look, for a part-time 2-year course, that was just too much to cover. I know a lot of students came out of it not knowing where they wanted to go at all, and being horribly prepared for any work at that. I also know a number of people who are doing well, and a few who got job offers on graduation. As far as I know, all of the latter already knew what they wanted to do in laymans terms, figured it out quickly as we cycled through first year or already knew exactly.

So, yeah, maybe that's why a lot of people go. That does not at all mean it's a good idea (especially if you live in a place where you actually need to pay for your education right away). I like to see people think, because lord knows 99/100 game art courses won't even begin to do this for them.

I'll still repeat it after thinking about it while I wrote this. What is it you're hoping to learn, or achieve, by attending a games related course?
  • programmer23
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero wrote: »
    Hm, well, of course taking your time to work that stuff out is an individual's choice and a good idea for some... but for this case and in my personal experience, those are also for the most part the people who come out the other end having only gotten a piece of paper and a gap in portfolio work to show for it.

If you go to school just to get that piece of paper, it's not going to help you much in this field. But if you know what you want to learn going in, then you can narrow down what kind of environment you're looking for, and as such ideal school (art school, game school, community college...), or if you even need a school. In my opinion, it's a much better idea to go in with research already done and goals set (even if said goals are fairly big, simple or vague). This minimizes the chance of fucking up and opting for a school that has a laughable, uber-dated course.

I went to a "game art" school (AIE, for the record). It was alright overall, but I knew I went for the specific reason of wanting to learn how to use 3D programs and complete workflows (the technical side, in other words) after trying for months to learn it at home with no such luck picking anything up (I'd been focused on 2D learning/work seriously for a good 3-4 years prior at this point, and very much wanted to do concept work. Originally I think I only wanted to learn 3D so I knew what I should and shouldn't include in my designs, but I digress).

I personally needed a school environment to absorb the information, and every cent was worth it because I did actually manage to get into 3D there, and love it as equally as I love doing 2D work now. It gave me technical 3D skills, local contacts (and work experience), and free time to learn stuff the course wasn't teaching me on the side because it was only a half-week course and I wasn't fussed with the technicalities of passing on solo projects as much as I was intent on learning the skills of being a character artist. Because I was surrounded by like-minded people, and was focused more on the technical side of things, no local art schools really seemed like a better fit for me.

But it was also a horribly generalist course. Well, generalist is one thing (I wouldn't take them seriously if they tried to open a separate character art stream either lol), but this... Look, for a part-time 2-year course, that was just too much to cover. I know a lot of students came out of it not knowing where they wanted to go at all, and being horribly prepared for any work at that. I also know a number of people who are doing well, and a few who got job offers on graduation. As far as I know, all of the latter already knew what they wanted to do in laymans terms, figured it out quickly as we cycled through first year or already knew exactly.

So, yeah, maybe that's why a lot of people go. That does not at all mean it's a good idea (especially if you live in a place where you actually need to pay for your education right away). I like to see people think, because lord knows 99/100 game art courses won't even begin to do this for them.

I'll still repeat it after thinking about it while I wrote this. What is it you're hoping to learn, or achieve, by attending a games related course?

Thank you for the long reply. This is exactly what I look at getting from getting a degree for this, a lot of the technical and design skills, as well as opportunities to get into the industry. But, I would also be going just for that "piece of paper" as it would be one more thing that sets me apart from the crowds when applying for jobs.

I do understand that I can learn the majority of things about 3d on the internet. I have already spent a few years getting to where I am, but as BagelHero said, nothing, for me at least, compares to a real school environment.

I also attached something I am working on currently so you guys can see my skill level just incase that has any significance.
  • whats_true
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    A piece of paper wont set you apart from other people. Your art will.

But, be it as it may, if you want to go to school, try to go to a school that has good teachers. Look at the instructors and evaluate years in the industry and if they are still in it. I got incredibly blessed to have such teachers that were on point with current industry standards so, it helped a lot to break into a job. Others, not so lucky, and are about a decade behind whats new.

Though, if I were to do it again, I would go to an actual art school, and not a game specific school. Your going to be an artist, you want to know practical art theories. I personally think it helps to have a good foundation to build upon in the long run. 3Dsmax, Zbrush, photoshop, ect, are just tools. They don't create art, you do. Doesnt madder if you have a degree and know all there is to know about the programs, if your a bad artist, your a bad artist.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    As a foil to going to an art school, I'm going to pitch USC and what exactly it has done to me.

I went to the University of Southern California for the Interactive Media, Games, and Design school in the School of Cinematic Arts for uni. I made this decision against schools like SCAD, Carnegie Mellon, etc. IMGD is a game design school in the strictest sense: they focus on the theory and practical work that goes behind designing a game, not making game art. There was the occassional art course through the SCA's Animation School, but nothing substantiative.

I wanted to be a game artist. Why did I choose to go to a game design school?

Because:
    1. They were literally making video games there already. Something I wanted to do. Make videogames.
    2. They claimed they had strong connections to EA, Microsoft, and other companies through faculty members, etc. This proved to be true.
    3. It was a respected 4 year uni. I also wanted this experience. I wanted to learn about other things like philosophy of religion, dance, fraternity life, etc.

USC provided the resources for me to succeed, and what I needed to do was take advantage of that. I don't think many schools provide that opportunity like USC did. It also brought in and attracted the best-of-the-best in terms of students, and I was able to work with those "ninjas" during my time there. These were uni students who were as serious, if not more, about making video games, and I thank God I was able to work with them.

What I ended up with come graduation:
    1. $28,000 principle balance of student loans
    2. Blizzard Entertainment QA Internship Freshman Year
    3. Reverge Labs 2D/3D Art Intership
    4. 4- 5 games made
    5. Art Director experience
    6. Portfolio work that was actually in playable games
    7. Knowing the GDC existed, and how important that event was to my professional career.
    8. Friends, not just connections, who were game developers themselves.

An example of the quality of work we were able to complete at USC:

http://vimeo.com/90607851

I would recommend looking into effective schools like USC if that is a possibility for you.

As well, I also heavily encourage finding a good community college to take care of General Education courses and basic art courses. In my head, it's generally cheaper, and while you are sacrificing certain social features like dorms, freshmen life, etc, you'll save a butt-load of money possibly if you're transferring to another school.

Let me be clear about my situation, it hasn't been all roses. I'm currently unemployed, and that's after a string of short term gigs arond So Cal after graduatin in December 2013, but I'm choosig to believe that I'm at a pretty good place according to other game developers and teachers I've talked to about my situation and laments about "Why don't I have a job?" etc.
  • programmer23
    Offline / Send Message
    JadeEyePanda, this is exactly the kind of experience I want except with a little bit more of an art focus. If I could stay closer the MD that would be better though. Does anyone have experience with schools in this area?
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Thank you for the long reply. This is exactly what I look at getting from getting a degree for this, a lot of the technical and design skills, as well as opportunities to get into the industry. But, I would also be going just for that "piece of paper" as it would be one more thing that sets me apart from the crowds when applying for jobs.

I do understand that I can learn the majority of things about 3d on the internet. I have already spent a few years getting to where I am, but as BagelHero said, nothing, for me at least, compares to a real school environment.

I also attached something I am working on currently so you guys can see my skill level just in case that has any significance.

No problem. But here's the thing: You already have the skills most of these courses would teach you, and chances are they'll only just touch on design theory and aesthetics.

You'd have to do a ton of research and be willing to move interstate to find a school that was truly exceptional if you want to get a class where you actually learn to be better than you already are.
    Most schools/teachers don't really or can't take care of your personal progress. As long as you meet the competent criteria their job is done. I hate to be negative on this one, and I wish it weren't the case, but there are not a lot of great teachers out there, and the scene moves too fast to think you'll get an up to date curriculum.

I couldn't edit a cube properly and didn't even really know what UVs were when I went to school, so this wasn't a problem for me. But you know how to model, sculpt, UV, etc already. So unless you found a course that really focused on proper industry workflow, allowed you to make games for your folio, and had teachers that gave proper feedback as a common thread through the entire course... You're not going to get anything much out of it. And you wouldn't believe how few and far between courses that really do this are.

You'd be better off going to a regular art course and improving your eye for aesthetic/getting proper critique on your anatomy, composition, color theory, materials, presentation, mood, lighting etc because if I'm honest, that's where your weak points are right now and they are exactly the things that you'd be hard pressed finding a game art school to teach you thoroughly. And even then, it probably wouldn't be in a game or 3D art sense if you went to an art school. So where does that leave you?

Probably teaching yourself using the internet, and using Polycount and similar forums/sites as a mentor. Pretty sure this isn't what you want to hear, but try posting projects here before you finish them. Post the concept and make a brief for yourself and update frequently, as you go and before you make any irreversible changes. You'd get invaluable feedback that's hard to give on finished pieces. That said, you should do this anyway even if you do decide to attend a school.

PS: For what it's worth, if you'd like some crits on your overall work rather than just the one piece, please PM me. It's not really my place to go on about it here, and I'd feel weird PMing you when you didn't ask for it, but I do have some thoughts I wouldn't mind sharing.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    I am looking at going to college to get a degree in Game Art or Game Design.
    there are no degree programs for game art or game design that give a return consistent with your investment.

none. they do not exist.

find a game with mod tools and just get started.

go to school if you want a fat bill and your time wasted.

if you don't believe me then start asking hard questions about placement rates for graduates at these places.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    there are no degree programs for game art or game design that give a return consistent with your investment.

none. they do not exist.

find a game with mod tools and just get started.

go to school if you want a fat bill and your time wasted.

if you don't believe me then start asking hard questions about placement rates for graduates at these places.

Yeah, the school will not hand hold you, which brings up questions like "Could I have done this on my own?"
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I have heard that having a degree really helps when trying to get a studio job.
    Where did you hear this? From a Full Sail recruiter?
  • Gav
  • EarthQuake
    You already have a sort of relevant degree, its very unlikely that a second degree will help you much, if at all, in job searches. The biggest thing will be showing that you can actually do the work with a solid portfolio. You can go back to school and pay an absurd amount of money for the chance to learn how to do this (no guarantee you will be able to make industry quality work when you graduate), or you can check out the nearly unlimited supply of free for very inexpensive training material available these days, work on your own, and post your progress here on polycount for feedback.

Most game design schools are laughably outdated and crazy expensive, and few actually prepare you/give you the skills required to get a job. The best part about these schools is that they provide a structured learning environment, but you can fairly easily recreate that yourself, along with forums like polycount for peer feedback.

Having a degree is much, much more important if you want to get into the engineering side of things, but with a CS degree you're set there.

For art/design, the hiring process basically works like this, in order of importance:
    1. Quality of work/portfolio
    2. Professional experience
    3. Amateur experience (mods etc)
    4. Style of work shown (how well will your art fit in with the art team?)
    5. Personality, (how well will you fit in with the team?)
    6. Education, maybe, if they even care
    Where did you hear this? From a Full Sail recruiter?

+9000 to this
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Just an observation:
    Art people I met in 4 not so big game studious I worked for were usually of two main categories:

a. former modders who are happy to get their dream job

b. former art schools graduates who couldn't grant a steady cash flow from their personal art career and found their last resort in a “normal” job .

And I saw very few who studied specialized game art/design courses. Although a little bit more recently
  • programmer23
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so reading through this thread, I have had a few thoughs on new courses of action.

So to preface what I am about to say next, time really isn't a huge issue, and money is not a massive issue.

I get an AA in Art from my local community college so I can stay local for a bit longer, and then I go on with my Comp Sci AA and go to a uni and get a Bachelors in Comp Sci so I at least have a 4 y degree if doing graphics goes south?

I went to a Community college that had agreements with all of the local universities so all credits transfer.

Solid plan or horrible mistake?
  • EarthQuake
    I would say if you want to get two BAs, get your BA in CS, that will be a very good degree to have/fall back on outside the games industry. Then, go for a more traditional art degree at a community college. That way you get the technical side, and some classical art training (painting, sculpting, etc), which will give you a very well rounded education, and give you a good background for an eventual career as a technical artist if that sort of work appeals to you (good TAs are always in demand). Take some courses on 3d modeling and the like at your community college if you can.

Learning how to use 3d modeling apps and level editors and the like is stuff you can learn on your own (lots of excellent free or cheap resources for that), and to be frank, if you can't pick the technical/app stuff up on your own, you will find it very difficult to even get into the industry, as technologies are constantly changing and studios use various tools and ever evolving workflows, so you need to be able to pick up software and techniques on the fly.
    gnoop wrote: »
    And I saw very few who studied specialized game art/design courses. Although a little bit more recently

Very much this. I've done portfolio review for a couple studios, and from my experience there is practically zero relation between artists who are hirable (good portfolios and experience), and artists who went to video game college. This isn't to say that those schools are completely useless, but they do cost an enormous amount of money, and by and large they leave students unprepared for the job market, unless you really push yourself to go above and beyond the course work. Basically, if you work on your art every day and post it on Polycount from crits in addition to going to those schools, you'll have a good chance of coming out with a decent portfolio. If you show up and do the course work as is, without putting in effort to make sure you're creating industry-quality work, you'll probably have another 1-2 years of training on your own after school that will be required before you can find a job.

So one way or another, you have to put the work in and grind it out on your own. You can pay handsomely for the privilege, or not, its really up to you.

The best student work that I see is from artists who were already quite good before they went to college, usually they worked on mods and had some decent artistic and technical skills already. I've also heard a lot of horror stories from these same people about how useless the course work was and how ill-informed the instructors are (though this will vary depending on where you go and who you get, of course). Again, the people who came out with solid work were the ones who put in the time on their own, and did quality work, some times in spite of the course work.
  • EarthQuake
    Well, even getting feedback takes effort. You need to gain the respect of your peers. Generally this means posting frequent updates, communicating with people and implementing feedback when you get it. Finishing work helps a good deal too, anyone who shows that they are putting in a lot of work, taking feedback to heart and churning out assets will get feedback.

Posting in other people's threads, giving them feedback, creating relationships, etc, is essential as well.

Really, you can't let lack of feedback be some sort of excuse, you need to have the will to do the work on your own regardless of the situation to make it in/into the games industry. If you show that will to improve, you will get attention, I've seen it countless times.

Tidal Blast, not to call you out personally, but you made 4 threads in the art showcase forums last year and while you've gotten a little feedback, your biggest problem is that only post at most like one update to the asset and then we never see from you again. Did you finish it but not post it? Did you stop working on it? You won't get more feedback or attention if you stop posting.
  • programmer23
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ this is what I am really going to start working on more. I have multiple character and prop projects that are going to be coming up and I intend to just make a master thread where I just continually update on different pieces.

I am starting to think that getting some sort of traditional art education first and then going for my comp sci degree is the pest course of action as it gives me the best of both worlds but I will continue to try to improve as much as I can with 3d on my own in the meantime.
  • EarthQuake
    That's the thing. Experienced artists don't need to post here, they can finish their work whenever they want it, but it's great when they can share their work to get everyone on the same page or possibly get feedback from other pros to improve their own work.

I don't follow you here, I wasn't talking about experienced artists at any point.
    But for new artists, it's a bit different. They post their work, because they are stuck, they are looking for help, etc. They aren't very likely to post more updates since... they are stuck. It's kind of sad when I read ''Post updates and finished works, you'll get feedbacks''; it's backward.

I'm not sure why its sad, its perfectly true, even for inexperienced artists. The more you post, the more progress you show, the more you show you're taking feedback to heart and implimenting it, the more responses you will get. This applies to complete noobs and the most experienced of pros alike.
    As a new artist myself, it would be a waste of time for me to try to finish a couple of half-professional projects at my level. So, I spent the last 4 months stepping up my game as a subd modeler, moved from 3DS Max to Modo and now that I'm satisfied with my current level, I can finally focus on substance designer, substance painter and creating high quality environments and characters.

Bolded part is complete nonsense. If thats what you want to tell yourself to feel better about it thats fine, but there is a huge amount of value in actually finishing work. Over the years I've seen countless artists that only have a bunch of half-finished, wip work. They aren't the ones getting jobs, the guys who put in the effort to finish their work are.

You can get defensive and make some more excuses about why you don't finish work, but finishing projects and taking what you've learned to the next project, rinsing, and repeating is absolutely essential to improving in any line of work. If you never finish anything, you don't fully understand the creation process, its as simple as that.

This mentality that it would be a waste of time to finish low quality work is so absolutely backwards. Nobody starts out awesome, all the talented artists that you see here made some crappy work when they first started out. You need to own it and follow through, and eventually, after making enough assets, you will see serious improvement. There isn't a shortcut you can take here to only practice "the important stuff". Thats not how any of this works.
    Instead of posting projects on polycount, desperately trying to get feedbacks, it could be more useful for new artists to just ask very specific questions about how they could improve certain aspects of their workflow. I think it's very important to know where you are at and what you need to do to step up your game.

There is absolutely no reason for it to be one or the other. You can work on projects and ask questions on polycount, why you think these two things are mutual exclusive I don't know, but its very bizarre.

OP: Sorry for the thread derail, but this "why post if I'm not getting feedback" sentiment is so common that I feel like someone needs to talk about it.
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    As a new artist myself, it would be a waste of time for me to try to finish a couple of half-professional projects at my level. So, I spent the last 4 months stepping up my game as a subd modeler, moved from 3DS Max to Modo and now that I'm satisfied with my current level, I can finally focus on substance designer, substance painter and creating high quality environments and characters.

Instead of posting projects on polycount, desperately trying to get feedbacks, it could be more useful for new artists to just ask very specific questions about how they could improve certain aspects of their workflow. I think it's very important to know where you are at and what you need to do to step up your game.

A key point of PC's existence is that it's a community. If you swoop in and expect everyone to help you through every stumbling block, you're going to have a bad time. It takes time, it just does. Participating in challenges, giving feedback, posting updates...it builds your reputation and good standing within the community. The more you give, the more you get, it doesn't matter what your actual skill level is. Vets will get more posts that are basically rub n tugs, but new members will get help too - it just takes time.

Arguably, I would say that focusing on a project going in the wrong direction and then jumping into fancy apps that speed up the process isn't exactly the best way to go about improving. It would be way more beneficial to actually finish projects and build upon what you failed or succeeded at...different ways to train and work, whatever, but thats a key part to developing your skills. Plus, as someone who does have a say in hiring, there's no way I would hire someone who couldn't finish their work - even if they have jaw dropping modeling skills.

Plus, I'm really not sure if just asking questions instead of showing your work would yield better results. Instead, you'd probably seem like someone who never actually tried anything on your own. PnP is kinda the heart of the site and things come from it naturally...you see progress happening and give feedback, if there are problems people can help...I'm not sure why you would need to only do one or the other, surely actually showing work and asking related questions would get answers?

Also, OP: A paper won't get you a job. Literally, I've never looked at someone's proof for their schooling. BUT. Speaking first hand, a piece of paper will help you work abroad because you're dealing with government employees at that stage, not artists.
  • jfitch
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    I've also heard a lot of horror stories from these same people about how useless the course work was and how ill-informed the instructors are (though this will vary depending on where you go and who you get, of course). Again, the people who came out with solid work were the ones who put in the time on their own, and did quality work, some times in spite of the course work.

This part is sadly true. One assumes a university is always on the cutting edge, but more often than not you'll have professors who are still using Maya 1998 and haven't even heard of a sculpting package. (That might be a bit extreme, but its true in my case). Universities also seem to almost block out practices that they aren't okay with, so you may not be exposed to certain software packages, or even methods and pipelines simply because they aren't comfortable enough with it.

As someone in a game design program right now at Rochester Institute of Technology, I wish every day I had considered my options more carefully. I have learned more from polycount, digital tutors, cgma, gnomon, and gumroad than my college courses.

That being said, I do enjoy the courses, and the program has helped further me in my career, I'm currently working at an indie studio as a tech artist, and I've been working on my portfolio every day. It also helped me to figure out that I didn't want to be a programmer (which the degree program focuses on), after I took an intro 3d course with a professor who loved Polycount. Not everyone is that lucky. Most of my classmates are lazy, they aren't driven, and they prefer to play games instead of make them. They don’t know what the want to do with their lives. Not necessarily a bad thing, but if you’re paying tens of thousands of dollars a year to figure that out... :|

If I could go back, knowing what I know now, I would go to college for art, or sculpture, or something more fundamental. Simply because I would enjoy it, and gain a lot from the foundational knowledge, not because I think it would help me get a job or something. I would continue to learn about game art on my free time, and learn on my own, and keep building my portfolio.
  • Joel Gafford
    Offline / Send Message
    Joel Gafford polycounter lvl 9
    What is everyone's opinion of going to Gnomon School of Visual Effects in person? I know their dvds are great, but what is the benefit of spending 70k+ (just on tuition, mind you) for two years of training when the starting salary of a 3D artist (according to payscale.com) is only 35k? I mean seriously?
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    well, I wouldn't use payscale.com as a good reference - it's more like $45-50k and up depending on area. Still, I wouldn't recommend schooling unless the cost was around or under the $40k mark so avoid private for profit schools and look at Community College & State Universities.

For the OP, you've already got an AA in computer science, AFAIK most schools classify 3D/Game Art as a Bachelors of Science so you've technically finished half the work already.
  • rino
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    Don't.

Not to brag but,

I'm the youngest guy in the company, everyone is 23 and over, I'm 19.

I have the same salary as the ones with higher education, you know why? Skills, nobody even asks you here if you have a degree. If you can do the job and do it on time, you are good.

Polycount is the best education you can get for free.
  • WarrenM
    I have the same salary as the ones with higher education, you know why?
    I have a question ... how do you know that? Do the employees there openly discuss their salaries? I know that's a grave offense at most places, including Epic.
  • rino
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    WarrenM wrote: »
    I have a question ... how do you know that? Do the employees there openly discuss their salaries? I know that's a grave offense at most places, including Epic.

Yes they openly discuss it, I was shocked too.
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    One statistic I've found interesting is, on the 2014 salary survey there seems to be an inverse relationship between college education and salary level. The people who spent the least amount of time in college make the most money. Probably because they spend that time getting shit done and networking with professionals.

http://www.gamasutra.com/salarysurvey2014.pdf

My interpretation is that someone who doesn't go to college has to be very passionate to get to a professional level. Whereas the average college student is just doing his assignments and trying to get a degree? Obviously not saying people who have gone to college aren't passionate though!
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Having the knowledge made me flexible, like when I took two months in 2012 to become a character artist. I could probably do the same for animation and concept art, maybe not as fast but I've done it all in school and have helped out on all disciplines in my career so far.

I went to school for animation so there was more focus on art, Hollywood VFX and traditional animation. It was a lonely place for a game artist.
  • Geezus
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    There is a great deal of information on this topic in the stickied thread: Education In The Games Industry: Yes or No?

Best of luck!
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, do not go into a "game focused" degree track. Just don't. I did, I figured it would be like a comp-sci program with specific attention paid to the needs of realtime simulation, but it was really just a bunch of courses built around commercially available books and very very low depth.

Save yourself the money, or rather, invest a smaller amount in a good PC and software, and spend the same amount of time making art and posting it here.
    As for degrees, your idea of art then comp sci is decent, but a lot of schooling. If you want to be a game artist invest in the art route. Get a bachelors at least. The comp sci stuff is obviously key to making games, but if you're looking to work for a studio, then you can just do art, and pick up the light technical stuff that's useful as you go.

Networking is also extremely important. Who you know opens doors much faster. What you know and can do lands you the job.
    I'd say that Polycount, and your local game related meetups (IGDA perhaps?) are better for this than college campuses.
  • heyeye
    Offline / Send Message
    heyeye polycounter lvl 6
    I think I've touched on this in other threads before but one thing that college gave me was deadlines.

Even if the finished project was a complete disaster, at least it was a completed disaster.

I know for me personally in the beginning it was really tough to have a project go from beginning to end, but school kind of requires you to finish or you fail and lose a lot of money.

So I wouldn't say school is for everyone, but for me it had just the right motivations for me to get my ass in gear and actually complete work.
  • Joel Gafford
    Offline / Send Message
    Joel Gafford polycounter lvl 9
    I have a lot of pressure on me from family members to "go get an education," especially from the older types. They are convinced that no degree = no job. I've been buying and reading books on art, doing tutorials, reading all types of books and exercising my imagination to flesh out the scenes, and I've been posting daily on the polycount sketchbook section since April of 2014. I've improved, but I still haven't been able to take that leap from amateur to working professional.

Does anyone have any advice for me?
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    I have a lot of pressure on me from family members to "go get an education," especially from the older types. They are convinced that no degree = no job. I've been buying and reading books on art, doing tutorials, reading all types of books and exercising my imagination to flesh out the scenes, and I've been posting daily on the polycount sketchbook section since April of 2014. I've improved, but I still haven't been able to take that leap from amateur to working professional.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

if you are trying to break in, i'd suggest starting at the bottom.
    try to find some smaller indie developers in your region and ask them if you could help them out with their art a bit. even if they cant pay you much, the experience will be very valuable.

thats sort of the way i did it, but to be fair i went to a for profit school before that.
    also half a year realy is not that long, so don't believe you will get a nice job in the next 1 or 2 years.

and those traditional values don't realy apply on modern economies anymore. there is no thing like "jobsecurity".
    people around me always tell me how im working too much, although compared to the regular polycount professional i am extremely lazy with my 6 extrahours i invest in personal work.

you are on the right path though, if you keep on improving you will score a job sooner or later.
  • rino