Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @ChiZ + you said exactly what I was trying to. Shock be positive. I also think that Valve don't want you to lose possible revenue from complex sets. To be honest I have weird feeling that tournaments other than those most renown are selling really badly :/ Well data seen on Cyborgmatts prize tracker page only shows that tickets sells in high or low numbers, there are no mid values.
  • ChiZ
    Yeah, I've been turning down quite a few ticket bundle offers lately. There just seems to be more and more of them, and while I'd love to have sets in the game, the %s these organizations are offering are generally insanely harsh to artists and often non-negotiable. I understand they need to make a profit, but it really feels close to asking me to give my work away sometimes.

Their methods of attempting to acquire your sets can also be pretty insulting, and/or headache inducing. I've had organizers go behind my back and make offers to other artists to use as leverage to negotiate lower %s, and it's just uncomfortable to deal with overall.

The above, coupled with how little they tend to sell, kind of turned me off from the whole thing.
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    ChiZ wrote: »
    Yeah, I've been turning down quite a few ticket bundle offers lately. There just seems to be more and more of them, and while I'd love to have sets in the game, the %s these organizations are offering are generally insanely harsh to artists and often non-negotiable. I understand they need to make a profit, but it really feels close to asking me to give my work away sometimes.

Their methods of attempting to acquire your sets can also be pretty insulting, and/or headache inducing. I've had organizers go behind my back and make offers to other artists to use as leverage to negotiate lower %s, and it's just uncomfortable to deal with overall.

The above, coupled with how little they tend to sell, kind of turned me off from the whole thing.

Well, I am being desperate now and have accepted to bundle my Sven set: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=305641368 to a 1.5k-3k tournament for a 50/50 cut. I know I will get peanuts from it but at the going rate of accepted set and no singles anymore, I will just accept anything that comes my way.
  • danpaz3d
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    ChiZ wrote: »

That's disappointing to hear. These kind of situations push away pro work, which is why it seems like much lower quality designs have been accepted. But I guess that's how it is, the more people get involved, the trickier the project is.

On an unrelated topic, is there a way to upload stuff to the workshop without anybody seeing it? Does the public/private stuff prevent it from showing on the workshop page?
  • ChiZ
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    Well, I am being desperate now and have accepted to bundle my Sven set: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=305641368 to a 1.5k-3k tournament for a 50/50 cut. I know I will get peanuts from it but at the going rate of accepted set and no singles anymore, I will just accept anything that comes my way.
    50/50 isn't that bad, I've been offered 25/75 more times than I care to recite... :/
  • agito666
    tumblr_nejwhnvK6F1sxkih7o1_1280.png

more progress of head gear of VS i making for Xtinct. :)

i need to watch back Star Wars's Queen Amidala/ Padme for more idea . >_<
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    thanks for ur feedback guys.

@agito B is rly good
  • bounchfx
    B is awesome. I love it.

A reminds me of Roshan haha
  • bladeshot
    Offline / Send Message
    bladeshot polycounter lvl 5
    I like C more

Oh heck no! Why would they do that?

q2yTCk1.png

If you'll to workshop from profile page you'll see this
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Shock wrote: »
    i was today told by a pro tourney with more then 25k pricepool that valve rejected ALL my sets from the workshop for a ticketbundle, since they all contain custom particle effects and / or custom abilitys. anyone knows what is again going on in volvo base?

There are more and more tournaments these days, and I can imagine Valve maybe wants to take a new direction on the whole tournament bundles. If you ship every tournament under 25k with a set with particles it migth be a lot of work for them. Mainly because the tournaments often are really late to ask about bundling a set or item.

Also your sets look very good shock, they will probably get into a chest anyway ;)

I'm finally trying to make my own first set with custom particles, as long as Valve doesn't stop adding sets with particles :p

I do think some sets are completely over the top on particles etc. these days it seems u need to expand your set with particles, custom ability icons, loadingscreens and everything otherwise they won''t be popular enough. If that continues the game will get more and more complex and maybe that's something Valve isn't looking for. Especially on teh rate that sets are being uploaded to the workshop. How far do u need to go to make something really new and exited, isn't a good design enough enymore?

@mihalceanu: Nice dagger, looks really nice and clean!
  • vikk0
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    There are more and more tournaments these days, and I can imagine Valve maybe wants to take a new direction on the whole tournament bundles. If you ship every tournament under 25k with a set with particles it migth be a lot of work for them. Mainly because the tournaments often are really late to ask about bundling a set or item.

Also your sets look very good shock, they will probably get into a chest anyway ;)

I'm finally trying to make my own first set with custom particles, as long as Valve doesn't stop adding sets with particles :p

I do think some sets are completely over the top on particles etc. these days it seems u need to expand your set with particles, custom ability icons, loadingscreens and everything otherwise they won''t be popular enough. If that continues the game will get more and more complex and maybe that's something Valve isn't looking for. Especially on teh rate that sets are being uploaded to the workshop. How far do u need to go to make something really new and exited, isn't a good design enough enymore?

@mihalceanu: Nice dagger, looks really nice and clean!

Well, I agree. With time, submissions are becoming fancy and now it seems that for you to get popular, you need to do particles, LS's, icons, etc etc. I'm not saying that this is bad. It helped a lot of people to get into this, like many illustrators and FX artists. So, of course, a set with particles, oy any custom thing that adds value to the set, will be more popular, BUT, it's not saying that it will be going in, instead of a simple set, with regular stuff.

Anyway, I'm a believer of that "in Dota2, less is more". Particles are awesome, icons and LS's are amazing. But a good concepted set will make it sell by itself.
  • dmn
    Hello!My name is Mihai and i am new to this forum!This is my 1st project for Dota2 and you can find in the Workshop.I hope you guys like it.

Here is the collection link :
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=336447835

fS1xmGJ.jpg

nvGygr4.jpg
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    I remember hearing they were going to redo the particle system for contributors, the Chen set nulf and I made was denied simply because valve was updating his workshop files and weren't taking any new Chen sets, I think the same thing might be going on with particles.
  • Channfree
    Hey guys I'm having a strange issue importing my courier into dota. I exported SMDs frommaya 2013 and I get this THING!!!

ZLCs9VE.png

The animation looks to be working perfectly, but the model seems to be going crazy, weird thing is that I had someone else try to export/import my courier and it works fine for them. Im not really sure what is going on with my courier.
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    shipped the second tiny weapon in collabo with vayne,
    if u like our work plz drop us a vote :)<3

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=337371167
    0ff5Fh5.jpg

C893BF51C7FD02A20992C88AF084E148C8E6BF57
  • yakonusuke
    Offline / Send Message
    yakonusuke polycounter lvl 2
    very nice one, Shock.
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    looks good shock :)
    Channfree : looks like there is an issue with your bones , have u scaled them by any chance?
    I have reworked/reuploaded my magnus set , drop a like plox:)

218287CD867E711607B2FD7613DC3705A610AE0A
    workshop link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=337409950
  • Channfree
    @mihalceanu: I only scaled the master controller, it don't think it should effect the bones. Hmmmm.... But yes I did scale it because my bat was smaller than it should be.
  • SeeingTriangles
    I'm glad I decided to learn 3D modelling, it is hard but I enjoy doing it :). I've been working on my TA set and pretty much everything is done. Although not much can be changed at this point, but I still wanna hear you guys' opinions. I'm still a bit worried about the colors, I'm not good at coloring.
    iqjpINu.jpg?1
    ASbI2om.jpg?1
    I still have to do the promotion pictures and LS, my PS skills are almost non-existent *sigh*
  • hayes87
    Offline / Send Message
    hayes87 polycounter lvl 6
    @SeeingTriangles this is really nice, solid start. The only thing for me its that the silver lines looks really bright.
  • SeeingTriangles
    @hayes87: thanks, this isn't my first 3D modelling attempt though, the first one (which was my Lina set) was really horrible. Maybe I'll crank up the metal mask, lower the spec and darken the silver lines a bit to make them look less bright. Thanks :)
  • ChiZ
    @SeeingTriangles: Great idea on the boots! Looks like they belong, and fits the set really well. The flower petals tie the set together, and good on you for making two distinctly different hairstyles instead of just one with petals and one without.

I know it's probably intentional, but I do wish there was more gold on her since her base model has such thick lines of it.
    Silver and black tends to look really bright/stark in contrast, which makes the designs stand out in a good way, but it also turns into noise more easily from a distance.

Those are just my personal color preferences, though. I do really like it when people try something different, and the silver definitely stands out.

In other words, my double sided advice sucks and someone with more refined opinions is bound to come along and give you something more substantial.
  • SeeingTriangles
    @Chiz: thanks a lot Chiz :) About the color, it is just as you said. At first I tried gold color but the set looked plain and kinda masculine so I switched to silver. I think silver color gives the set an elegant and feminine look, but maybe that's just me.
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    Maybe make the borders golden and keep the silver to the inner details, as it really looks detached from the main model as of now.

I also feel the details are too small to be noticeable, enough to ring the noise alert.

Apart from that, I'll second ChiZ, it's a really nice and unique set.
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Channfree : If you made them bigger after the skinning process , that might be the issue :)
  • Nikey
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Hey guys! I just finished some own-concepted stuff! I hope you will like it.

1A643F56CB218DB408C6BE686038F94888441C16

Progress you can find in my thread!

BIG THANKS FOR DonDon, IkeIke, Slimeface and Robo for helping me with colors!
  • Reza
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Sculpted a Storm Spirit set for winter today, based on Fudgie's concept from June.

storm_wip_02.jpg
  • vikk0
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    @Reza: looks great! but I'm not sure about the colors
    @Zipfinator: Very solid sculpt! Looking forward to this
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zip: How do you achieve those cloth cuts exactly? The ones on the shoulders for this storm spirit set.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    @Zip: How do you achieve those cloth cuts exactly? The ones on the shoulders for this storm spirit set.

I got a stupid dong workflow. I just cut the shape out messily on a plane in Max, then copy the shape, flip it, and extrude. Then I add some edge loops at the inner and outer corners and along the extruded faces to get a quick high poly mesh, and once it's in ZBrush and subdivided I dynamesh it so I can sculpt on it.
  • CiDDi
    Hey, Guys!
    Finally, I've sumbitted my Phantom Lancer set in workshop!
    Made with Stew.art and Nateo
    hope you'll like it!
    MGnLXxmzB1k.jpg
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    I got a stupid dong workflow. I just cut the shape out messily on a plane in Max, then copy the shape, flip it, and extrude. Then I add some edge loops at the inner and outer corners and along the extruded faces to get a quick high poly mesh, and once it's in ZBrush and subdivided I dynamesh it so I can sculpt on it.

Thanks mate. I thought I was the only one who do such simple details in max/Maya.
  • Hudston
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    Channfree wrote: »
    @mihalceanu: I only scaled the master controller, it don't think it should effect the bones. Hmmmm.... But yes I did scale it because my bat was smaller than it should be.

That's absolutely the problem. Make sure the model is the right size before you skin it or you'll run into these problems. I learned that the hard way when I made Itsy. D:
  • Smailer
    The job has been deleted
  • danpaz3d
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    Recently finished up a Storm Spirit set!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=338567634

tumblr_nesreb7L8O1rwocuuo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nesreb7L8O1rwocuuo2_1280.gif

[sketchfab]7256602b30524eafbaac0dc147be6191[/sketchfab]
  • Noblebatterfly
    Offline / Send Message
    Noblebatterfly polycounter lvl 10
    Smailer wrote: »
    Finished working on Faceless Void
    ePCzpt5.jpg

Great concept stealing. Reported
    QjURPbt.png
  • Noblebatterfly
    Offline / Send Message
    Noblebatterfly polycounter lvl 10
    Smailer wrote: »
    Finished working on Faceless Void
    ePCzpt5.jpg

Looks like mace is stolen too
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=157877154&searchtext=
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Oh wow, good catch Noble! You would think an art thief wouldn't post their set to the site they stole the concept from.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Fudgie got the storm all textured today and I finished the rigging. Just got masks and promo work to do now.

WaterloggedVengefulChevrotain.gif
  • quockhanhlk
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    Cool set, looking forward to see the final version :D
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a pass on the masks. Unfortunately it seems that Storm's color tinting isn't set up in the vmt files so the gold is kind of off...

EarlyGrippingBlackcrappie.gif
  • Reyne
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Zip, That Storm is looking really cool.

Is there a benefit to having the belt gem as a different mesh?
    (I'm just looking for better ways to improve how I work)
    Not that you would ever see it but it in game but seems like the two meshes clip a tiny bit at the top.
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @Zip Oh there is cool env visible on the metal parts of the belt. You should mask the gem in similar way, would look awesome!! :)

@Reyne By doing so and having gem floating on top you don't need to care how you will to connect it to your belt. Your saving a lot of triangles, you have simple topology of your mesh and you can even rig your character easier. For example while in animation your belt will stretch as character will move and twist however your gem will be rigid as you will stay rigid because you will connect it to only 1 bone.
    I am sure on this storm set there are many parts that are separate: tunic, fur, belt, gem, cloths on sides and cloth in front all for sure are made independent as its super convenient :)
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    @zip maybe it works better for the gold if u color it black or very dark grey in the tint by spec channel
  • stkopp
    Offline / Send Message
    stkopp polycounter lvl 4
    Hey people!)

Does anyone want to take this set?
    stkopp wrote: »
    ...blah-blah-blah...
    You could contact me:

polycount PM

Email: i.stkopp@gmail.com

Steam: steamcommunity.com/id/stkopp

...blah-blah-blah...
    JUCFeTO.png
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    @Reyne, I just like to separate large shapes like that if I can. It saves triangles and it helps the shapes stand out from each other more which Valve does a lot on their models. Also I checked the model and they ain't clipping at all.

@Konras, the gems are masked the same way! You can see the bracer gem shining as the camera moves in.

@Shock, I'll mess around with that now.
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, looking for some feedback on this old clockwerk set im coming back to after finishing some freelance.

J5rP9mq.jpg
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    The_Rocketeer.jpg

Oh my days, I could kiss you right now. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: