Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

GTX 580

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
wirrexx ngon master
So i have a Gigabyte GTX 580, Vram 3 gb.

I would've though that this would handle atleast good in Maya and Zbrush, but going over 2 mill will slow my viewport (not 2.0) down to almost 15 FPS. is this correct or can i somehow increase it by playing around with hardware or software?

My system:
i7-3930k socket 2011
RAM 16 GB
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Gigabyte GTX 580, VRAM 3 GB.

Noticed i wrote this in the wrong Forum, can admin please move this?

Replies

• FractaL
    Sounds like you just need to update your graphical drivers. That always solves problems! Good luck buddy!
  • Fingus
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Well, it may not be a problem with your card but rather with the software. Maya's viewport is honestly rather crappy and will start chugging when you get into the million polygons range on even the strongest computers. Viewport 2.0 is much better at polygon crunching though so check out if you still have performance issues there.

And zBrush doesn't use the graphics card to render, it's all about the RAM and CPU. It generally gives up when your tool reaches 7-10 million polygons.

If you really wanna benchmark your card use Mudbox. It can handle an insane amount of geometry and makes good use of the GPU, and unlike zBrush it's not limited by being 32-bit.
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Fingus: did what you said. And Mudbox came up to 50 million polys without any problem! hmmf.. Maya is where it is pissing me off. Cant even handle 50 000 polys :(
  • BreaK-
    I've got a GTX 580 and I have similar issues. I think its maya's problem rather than the card.

Nightmare.
  • Polyjunky
    Offline / Send Message
    Polyjunky greentooth
    Hmmm this is not good news. I've just built a new PC: i7 4.5 ghz, 16gb Ram and the rest but I hadn't got a GPU yet. I'm using the on board card right now cos I was researching. I thought after looking around the Palit or Gainward GTX 580 3gb would have been the best bet, now I'm confused.

I know about the slowdown with Quadro 4000 and the 600 being crippled in Maya so yeah... confused.

Any idea on alternatives? I don't use my PC to play games ever.
  • Shanthosa
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92072 That thread may help shine some light on this issue. Not super encouraging.
  • Polyjunky
    Offline / Send Message
    Polyjunky greentooth
    Yeah I read that thread. Still more questions than answers though unfortunately.
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    i thought i had been experiencing these problems from a cheap card myself, but after reading through all this i can confirm that my gtx460 behaves just as poorly.

my 8800 gtx from 4 years ago could easily handle around 6 million in the maya viewport before dropping off...