Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Animation

[Riot Art Contest] - Dan Cherkassky

Hi everybody! Going to enter this with some blockouts messing with a character using giant gears strapped to his arms for bashing into enemies and rolling around. I think these could be a bit more interesting though, or scrapped for something more flashy altogether, so this may not be the final character.

Also, the rig is Animschool.com's Malcolm rig, but with gears and a helmet.

KYb5ZlT.gif[/IMG]

35G974S.gif[/IMG]

Replies

• Evanescfan
    love the stretches here :D
  • TypicalDan
    Thanks Evanescfan!

Trying out a different idea now, still super rough. Barely have arcs or proper body mechanics on a lot of parts, but wanted to test this quickly.

Possessed character slogging forward with a ghost controlling him. The ghost wishes he had possessed a stronger body and cannot leave this one for too long, making him even more of a restless spirit, trying to get more out of a body that struggles to listen.

This might be too noisy for a standard walk and would be divided into the possessed walking on his own, walking with the ghost peaking out, and different jitters happening in between those. This is mainly testing the ghost popping out and coming back in to go between the other two modes.

Does anyone have some suggestions on this? I'll probably recreate the possessed character's walk and go from there, having him react to the ghost's actions.

IrMl78f.gif

MlwO4x4.gif
  • Evanescfan
  • TypicalDan
    Updating this, worked a bit more on the walk, but right now the possessed character feels like he'd be a pain to watch in game. Too fast a swing on the arms. The ghost only has a little animation on his spine for bounce, but his movement is still too similar to his host's. Will have to distinguish him more. Both cycles loop with the ghost emerged or hidden, so the end result will have a bit of both.

8PoIel7.gif

gfwipmR.gif

Also changed the emerge, will probably change the return when I get to it.

3A4xGkk.gif

And here's the start of the ult. The ghost gets so fed up with being in his weak, fleshy prison that he leaves it and is free to work on his own for a few seconds. During this time he can move around and attack enemies with greatly increased speed, as well as damaging whatever he passes through. He still has to return to his real form so as to remain in this world, so after a few seconds he returns to the body. This will also be shown visually by the body falling in time with how much time he has to move around and then being pushed back into position when he returns to it.

DHUlN6W.gif
  • Evanescfan
    looking good!
    I suggest the animation of the "symbiote" to offset a few frames later in the walk cycle
  • TypicalDan
    Thanks! I offset it a bit and may go in for more this week. Changed a few things about it overall as well, so now the ghost goes back into the body differently. Figured it didn't make sense for him to leave it in the first place, as that's what the ult lets him do.

CHLVBQs.gif

Rbc03Qq.gif

Also have the ult made. Didn't post the finished version before. Originally the host was going to fall slowly, but that really looks weird after a point, so he instead temporarily regains control of his body. Just for long enough to not do anything useful.

7wvvGYN.gif

Going to be making adjustments and polish next.
  • TypicalDan