Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DotA2] - Skeleton King - Regalia of the Forgotten King

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Boonta polycounter lvl 13
Latest Update:
PaleFace_Dota2Comp_v011.jpg?psid=1

Leaning towards doing the Tidehunter.

Concepting a bunch if ideas atm, some serious, others slightly "funner". Unsure which direction I want to take atm.

i.e Swim safe tide hunter (Floaties, Lifejacket and Goggles)....vs....Armor of the forgotten tide etc. (Some deepsea themed badass armor)

I like the humorous take of the items in TF2.

Replies

• Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Sorry to say but Tidehunter isnt on the written contest list
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    lol thanks I was looking at the wrong list. >_< fail.

/leaves competition.

back to the drawing board
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Hey It happen to a lot of us ;) It's the excitement and assuming all characters are allowed but don't think that can stop us from making items after the contest so keep them close until then.
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    oOOK! So ive calmed down. read the character list :D and chosen the "Skeleton King"

atm im still concepting out a bunch of shapes and ideas. though I am starting to gravitate to a few designs. I think the next round of concepts will be combining my fav ideas and detailing them up more. as well as drawing them from the game perspective to see if they actually look any good...

PaleFace_Dota2Comp_Concepts_Page1.jpg?psid=1

PaleFace_Dota2Comp_Concepts_Page2.jpg?psid=1
  • UglyMuffin
    I came expecting to see some Tidehunter stuff, but after seeing these concepts I thought "who needs Tidehunter anyways?"

Anyways, I'm really digging a lot of these ideas. I like the metal spike in the jaw in 1 on pg. 1, it's like an evil metal beard/goatee. I also really like the smaller shoulder pad in 7 on pg. 1. For page 2 I like the shoulder piece in 3, it looks nice and regal. The head piece in 1 is also cool. It reminds me of the Witch King's crown in LotR and I think it reads well from a distance. Overall I'd say any of the concepts you've drawn would be solid going forward.

You might want to change the title of the thread to Skeleton King. Also, there is a broken image at the bottom after the first two pages.
  • LuCh!
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    i like the spikey vertically designs of 6 and 7
    just keep in mind that you don't want to stray to far of from the original silouette!
    don't know what this ones original looks like though, but valve's really strict about those things

btw, could you show your sketches a bit bigger next time?
    they're kinda small compared to the mass of empty space
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Narrowing concept down a bit. Thought it would be better to focus on how the armor would look from the games perspective. Simple shapes atm and very rough. Will get into detailing and further refine the concept in 3d. 2D skills are kinda rough. :S I might do a rough color concept as well with some detailing ideas thrown in.

Still need to think about the weapon and gauntlet.

PaleFace_Dota2Comp_Concept_v001.jpg?psid=1
  • riuthamus
    Offline / Send Message
    riuthamus polycounter lvl 11
    page 28, number 2, epic shit.
  • Okoo
    Pale-Face wrote: »
    PaleFace_Dota2Comp_Concept_v001.jpg?psid=1

oh shit, so nice! the first good concept for SK. Keep the helmet on the left.
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah this looks outstanding. I like the larger jaw section on the helmet, his original crown deceptively widen his jaws with some additional jawbones which i found make a pretty big difference to his silhouette.
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Lenny! Yeh I'm noticing how much his fake jaws really add to his silhouette as I sculpt around his base. Might do something in my design to keep that bulk somehow.
  • Futashia
    this sk set going to turn into something epic
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok still basically refining and designing my idea as I go. Concepting in 3D with a bit of 2D beforehand to have a diving off point. Still a fair bit more refining to go. Really need to get stuck into a gauntlet design that i'm happy with. Its very under developed atm. I'll stat polishing the sculpt once im happy with the overall design. Getting close tho...

PaleFace_Dota2Comp_Concept_v002.jpg?psid=1
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    No to crystal on the blade, maybe make the blade a crystal? Edit: or put a crystal in the middle of it?
    If not add a [ Metal clamping piece ] < in the middle of the split I think if you actually made a blade like this and used it, it would snap in half at the split without it but, this is for a "toonish world" so I don't know how much realism your going for in your design.

The knee guard is alright, I don't know how many triangles you are allowed with this guy so probably best to just stick to that, the handle of the blade looks fine what is shit about it?

The bracer you should stay with the size you have in the concept it works well with his shoulders and helmet, though a re-work would be best since it seems you dislike it's direction atm and I would agree though I can't read whats going on with it atm.

Other than that It's looking good.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Looks really great!

Not to throw your ideas right away, but did you look at the tricounts for the diffrent parts?
    It's pretty low, so you should really think of how you want to pull of certain things. The concepts looks pretty awesome, and it will be great if you can pull it off :)
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting to polish the forms and solidify the design. Initial sword pass up next along with some more refining of the shapes. Will do a proper pass on the cloth as well.

Still unsure about the positioning or if I will use a elbow piece. Im also going to see if I can perhaps fit some kind of knee armor cover on some where. It may not be possible.

Fitting this all on 256x128 will be a challenge. I wish skeleton key had a more generous poly-limit/texture budget that some of the other characters receive.

PaleFace_Dota2Comp_Concept_v003.jpg?psid=1
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Oh snap! I really like the elbow/forearm piece, it really gives him that big badass look. I'm digging all of the general polish you've put on all of the pieces, not too noisy and still big and chunky.

Like you've said, the only thing I'd worry about would be the polycount/texture resolution, but if you can pull it off that'd be awesome!
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really solid, I love it!
    Really hope you can pull of this set, as you mentioned the poly and texture limits are pretty low. I needed to do a lot of concessions as well.
  • K-PAX
    Offline / Send Message
    K-PAX polycounter lvl 7
  • alibaba9003
    Wow. This is really cool! Like especially the helmet.
  • foeffa
  • JGcount
    Holy fucking shit! Sauron is back and looks awesome!
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys.

Latest update I've been going back over and polishing alot of the shapes and mesh. It was pretty rough, and still is. I'll need to do a little bit more cleaning up on some of the pieces. But I think I'll move on to the sword first. I find its good to get a first pass on everything before polishing it. The arm design and elements in the pauldron's are is still bugging me a bit.

PaleFace_Dota2Comp_Concept_v004.jpg?psid=1
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    Looks really good, i just don't know if you will be able to fit all that crown in the poly count. Also what are you putting the knee pads in as? He doesn't have a slot for legs/body or a misc, so kinda curious.
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeh his poly-count is pretty low for every piece! It will be a challenge but i'm pretty sure ill be ok.

As for the knee piece im hopeful i can squeeze it in somewhere on one of the other pieces. Its a long shot. If i can't, it's no big deal.
  • AkeR
  • 8-Bit
    Offline / Send Message
    8-Bit polycounter lvl 6
    Seriously nice work. I love the shapes you've incorporated here.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Woah thats some nice sculpting you got going on there! :D
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update of the weapon... more to come later tonight hopefully.

The high poly is pretty much complete I just need to go back and simplify the helm a little bit to fit into the LOD1 budget. Ive taken a retop pass on all my objects to see if they hold up under the LOD1 limits. Since doing so its helped me refine the design a bit simplifying some of the shapes. Hitting LOD0 will be fine.

As for limits, the helm was pretty low :S Those tris disappear fast. As people have mentioned its a bit of a jump from 550 tris to 300 AND the fact that this guys head / body collapses and rolls around on the ground when he dies some faces need to be double sided. Kinda restrictive on the design when hitting some of these limits. Really hope several characters get some love with revised budgets in the future. Especially when you consider that the original default armor is often higher than the hard limit imposed by the importer for user content. It may be only by 20-30 tris but it all helps. /endrant.

Oh I've scrapped the knee pad idea. There's no way I can fit it into the LOD1 budget of any of my items. Having to dupe the cape geo to make it double sided kinda put a end to that idea. I'd be great to get a knee slot or belt slot on this guy. If I was to change the color palette which has been stated in the FAQ as a possibility as long as it suits the design/character I feel atm the strong black/yellow colors of the knee pad are going to stand out against any changes in color i make to the rest of the armor. hmm we'll see how it goes though it may all just work :\

PaleFace_Dota2Comp_Concept_v005.jpg?psid=1
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Staying up late to get this sucker sorted eh? The sword is looking rad already, I'm glad you kept that center division like the original, but inverted the idea. Gj on working the low poly into those restrictions!:)
    Gogo man!
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Woah ! You've been re-branded! I like it.
    Oh man this whole weekend has been dedicated to this. It's taking longer than I thought. Design is what slows me. 1-4am I've discovered is a good time to work though.. everything just flows.

Looking forward to seeing your updates!
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    The sword looks really great. It's a bit a shame Valve didn't made it possible to change the legs. That way your a bit thrown ito one corner with the black and gold color.

Really wondering how the shoulder piece and helmet will look :)
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great loving the sword!
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Been awhile since i've updated. Over the last week I've baked and created the Lod0 and Lod1 for this guy. Im about to start experimenting with value patterning as per valve pdf art style along with some color palette ideas. Gotta tweak the gradient on his arm as well.

Flat diffuse setup in bodypaint.
    PaleFace_Dota2Comp_Concept_v006.jpg?psid=1
  • Gareth_Thomas
    OMW this is looking amazing! I don't know where you are finding the tris for SK's model but it's really looking fantastic. Great work keep it up.... Dammint I'm so jealous.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    This is wicked this is the higher lod version?

Either way hope you can make it happen as you've been doing.
    Can't wait, I like how you made each part first then added the gradient and are working on scheme's that seems best but you know if you don't show some progress people start making stuff "out of inspiration", but luckily you don't have that problem.

Textures will make or break this as a top 10 at least for me, very nice work, very inspirational.
  • Saradoc
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    Looks really nice, did you bake this with a point light in maya/3ds Max?
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    i like this king :) go on!
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow this looks great :)
    Can you show us some wire's? I'm really wondering how you made those models with the amount of tri's. This is lod_0 right?
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! Yeh that'd LOD0 in the greyscale view. Ill post a comparison with LOD1 and some wires next update. It was tight getting it to budget that's for sure!!

@clyptic - yeh there's some point light map in there along with a gradient overlay as well.
  • ceebee
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Ohhhh snaaap look at this guy. Coming along great man, can't wait to see it finished :D

Hope all is well over there too :]
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    @ceebee: hey dude! Hope things are going well back in Boston, it's pretty quiet over here now. Where's your entry !!

So glad we got an extension. I've been able to sleep and relax a bit. I was about to go straight into texturing when I got some feedback from the amazing Calyx (Work colleague). Basically make things sharper, to fit with the helm design. So the sword got some pointy things added and I spent some time solidifying the shapes on the helm. They flow a little better now. Had to retop/bake a bunch of stuff again which was time consuming but i'm happier with the design now.

PaleFace_Dota2Comp_Concept_v008.jpg?psid=1

As requested here is a shot of the low. LOD0 on left and LOD1 on the right. All within budget.

PaleFace_Dota2Comp_Concept_v009.jpg?psid=1

I've begun texturing finally so pics of that soon.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Hey man- it might be a little late mentioning this, but it's kind of bugging me so I figured I'd point it out. The cloth you have in the front looks way different than what's going on in back. I mean, it's much crisper, reads as a thinner material, and looks like more work was put into it in general. Just something to think about I guess. I might be the only one with a problem with that XD
  • duyandnau
    look like LichKing... but he has a lot meat Lol... nice set... keep going :D
    I still wait for your work... The Return of King :D
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP color: ( I have a lot to tweak still :S )

PaleFace_Dota2Comp_Concept_v010.jpg?psid=1

Gotta sleep. Will follow up on comments soon. Thanks guys.
  • Gareth_Thomas
    Great stuff. It's looking Epic!
  • Caldria
    Offline / Send Message
    Caldria polycounter lvl 8
    Those colours are looking gorgeous so far!
  • bounchfx
    Bad ass! This looks great so far dude. Definitely like epic-level looking armor for sure.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11