Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] Lone_Druid_BearNecessities

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
8-Bit polycounter lvl 6
Hi everybody!

I've decided to go with the Lone Druid for my entry. I absolutely love the look and feel of this character, as well as the design of both his bear form and spirit bear companion. For my design I want to go for something that feels Celtic in a way as well as I'll be integrating many honey themes into the objects I design.

I've started with a paint over of how I'd like the body piece to look for this particular design. I want to incorporate honeycombs in somehow while maintaining a nordic look to his attire. I wanted the back shape to suggest the impression of closed wings or something bug-like to follow the theme of bees and honey.

More variations on the designs to come, but I thought this might be a good kick off point. I'm eager to here everybody's feedback!

Lone_Druid_BearNecessities_Concept.jpg

Replies

• Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Really cool, one of the best Lone Druid designs I've seen! I love the color scheme, very natural, very true to the original and yet very different, fantastic!

Also, very clever to mix the similar shapes in Celtic designs and bees' hives, definitely gonna watch this thread closely!
  • DanBe
    Nice subtleties! I like where you going with this design!
    Will you change the design of the True form and the Spirit Bear as well?

looking forward to the next update!
  • 8-Bit
    Offline / Send Message
    8-Bit polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks a lot Spudnik!

Here's a few more thumbnails of different cloak designs. I'm trying to keep it fairly simple as I'd like the shoulder and arm accessories I come up with to create more of the silhouette. Already there are a few tweaks I wouldn't mind making to the original if not choosing a completely different one..

BearNecessities_CloakDesigns.jpg

What do you guys think? I'll be working on the shoulder and arm pieces next.
  • DashXero
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    I'm still a big fan of 1. Concise, effective.

I like 4 too, but 1 just has a good balance between simplicity and complexity to it.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    I really like 3. But 1 is also nice :D
  • 8-Bit
    Offline / Send Message
    8-Bit polycounter lvl 6
    I like aspects of 3 as well. It feels lighter somehow in its shape. Though I agree Dash, I'm still digging my initial design. It still has that bug-like shape to it too, but it's subtle.
  • Starmony
    Vote one more for 1. 2 and 4 look a bit too much like current Invoker sets.
  • Managor
    All of the sets do fit but 1 is the best of those.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    #1 (as before) and #4 but with the backpiece of #3 would get my vote.
  • 8-Bit
    Offline / Send Message
    8-Bit polycounter lvl 6
    Here are some of the ideas I'm having for his weapon.

Please let me know what you all think as I'm not entirely sold on any one of them but this is more or less the direction I intend to go with it.

BearNecessities_Weapon.jpg
  • Echronos
    Great work man. I loved the set number 1. For the weapon, I would go with the number 3, it's really cool :)
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep in mind that it is a thrown weapon, 1-3 look more like clubs to me. And personally I'm not a fan of a sword for Lone Druid, his weaponry should be a bit more "natural" than that. Hope that helps!
  • 8-Bit
    Offline / Send Message
    8-Bit polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks Echronos!

Spudnik that's really good information to have! Thanks a lot, I wasn't aware
    that his weapon was thrown. Actually I have a great idea for 3 if that is the case. Initially I was going to just have a be hive tide down to a stick as well, I'll continue that theme too as it would be more natural. Does anyone know the rules on particle effects? from their page it sounds like we can create them but does that only pertain to the armor itself? I'd like to create an explosion of bees for something like this.

Thanks again for the tip Spudnik!

Cheers
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately at this point there isn't too much info on doing custom particles so for the sake of playing it safe, I'd say proceed in the assumption that you can't use them :S
  • 8-Bit
    Offline / Send Message
    8-Bit polycounter lvl 6
    Sounds like a plan. Thanks again Spudnik. That'd be really cool as a particle effect, but if it isn't doable I supposed it can't be helped. I'll keep the idea in the backburner though in case they release any notes on particles.
  • 8-Bit
    Offline / Send Message
    8-Bit polycounter lvl 6
    Since the Druids weapon is thrown I've decided I really like the idea of having a bee hive attached to a stick that he can throw. I also wanted to play with the idea of the honey spoon being a grenade.

BearnNecessities_Weapon_speeddrawings.jpg

Did some armor designs too. I'm really liking the idea of turning honey pots into armor somehow. Right now I think 5. is my favorite. It's sort of reminiscent of samurai armor and the way they utilize panels layering on top of one another.

BearNecessities_Armor.jpg
  • DashXero
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    Dude, this is dope! I'd take the bracer from 1 and turn that into the right shoulder's armor (subtly give it the texture of the shoulder armor of 2) with a bit of fur from 3 to pad the space between the body and shoulderpad - done in such a way that the fur would peek out from under the shoulder pad...

For the claw bracer, I'd find a way to combine 2 and 3. Probably by keeping the rake from 2 and the glove/fur from 3.

There's a lot of good stuff that you can mix and match here.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
  • 8-Bit
    Offline / Send Message
    8-Bit polycounter lvl 6
    Hey thanks guys!

I really like #3 as well, but I also love the armor on 5. I'm going to tie them together in some way and we'll see what comes of it. Thanks again for your feedback.
  • 8-Bit
    Offline / Send Message
    8-Bit polycounter lvl 6
    Druid_Final.jpg

I've mixed and matched a few of the concepts I had and came up with something I thought looked fairly balanced and works for the poly budget.

I've blocked in the armor with LOD0 and UV'd and prepped for texture and have because sculpting in some of the higher res details to be baked onto the final piece. I still have some clean up work and minor details to touch up on but I thought it'd be a good place to show my progress so far.

bearNecessities_initialsculpt.jpg

Feedback is always welcome :D
  • 8-Bit
    Offline / Send Message
    8-Bit polycounter lvl 6
    704659_10151142471077227_426552190_o.jpg

The color map is all painted. I'm working on transferring all texture information onto the game mesh now. It looks like I will need to re-top a few of the pieces. I took out the Celtic knot design for now. I may still add it in as a smaller detail for the close up model, but for now I want the shapes that I have to read very crisp and clean.
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    Those color look soooo good and the sculpt is nice as well!