Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DS2] Hammer, fabian roldan

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
fabian roldan polycounter lvl 6
submisionsheet.jpgLatest update:

Just starting my thread for this competition, it will be a hammer from the kingdom of the dead. I have 4 concepts, my favourites are 1 or 2. Maybe number 1 have some demonic theme look, so i may change the theme in case i make that one. what do you guys think? i`ll post the comparison image with the character too, cheers.

conceptsheet.jpg
hammercomparisonsheets.jpg

Replies

• MissMaddyTaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MissMaddyTaylor greentooth
    All of these could make beautifullll weapons. I like all of them! But if I had to choose two, it would be 2 and 4.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I like 3 and 4 because they look heavier and more solid 3D shapes 1 looks flat and 2 looks like it could fall apart
  • pr0sorrow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I personally like number 3 the best, though 4 is a close second
  • pr0sorrow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edit - Double post soz >_<
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    cooooool!! 3 & 4!
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    I'm a big fan of #3.
  • Skyerzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skyerzz polycounter lvl 5
    3 all the way, that thing looks serious.
  • RoadKill2222
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh snap, Jack!! nice concepts. I think I like 4 best. Haven't seen many cylindrical hammers yet. But I think they're all winners so which ever
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    No 4 is definetly my favourite!
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    1 and 3 look like every other entry I've seen so far but 2 and 4 are different.

However 4 is much more bulky and I get the sense it's Darksiders material. Besides the man above me says 4 and you should follow :D
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
  • TypicalDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4. Bulky and dangerous. Looks like that spiky wheel is ready to break out cause damage.
  • fabian roldan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thnx a lot every one for your opinions, they`ve been really helpful!!!:) i actually started to work in mumber 3 but in the meantime, 4 recived more votes so i think that`s gonna be the one, i hope i can have some high poly material tomorrow.
    Besides the man above me says 4 and you should follow

Man you got a point there, i just can`t debate that haha thnx a lot!

Cheers!!
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    4 For sure. It's not only unique and stands out in the crowd, it looks like it packs one mean wallop.

You be pancaked.
  • fabian roldan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, i finished the base mesh, i just want to ask you guys (BoBo specially) if i`m placing the mesh correctly into the template, it seems impossible to fit a cilinder there as seen in the side view. I`m not sure about the thickness of the grip area too, do you think it can cause any problems?

hammerhighpolybase.jpg
    I`ll post more progress tomorrow :)
  • LeoJr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LeoJr polycounter lvl 7
    Good call with number 4, in my opinion. As for the 3d template, I'm guessing you're good for the hammerhead area, but I would probably make the grip area fit more closely with the template since that's the part that's actually interacting with the character. Thicker probably means Death's hands would clip in there...
  • fabian roldan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, here`s my progress so far. I just need to work the grip area, which i made closer to the template as LeoJr suggested (thnx man) work the pommel, refine, add some details here and there, and it`ll be ready for the low poly. any comments and suggestions are very welcomehammerprogress.jpg:)
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's coming along nicely. Althoug the handle is as thick as it's allowed to be it looks pretty fragile. Maybe you should give it a more solid shape rather than the bones.
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The way the spikes are deformed from the damage is making them look mushy and soft, at least to me in the zsculpt form.

Also, had a quick thought that if you defined the spikes as being embedded into the cylinder shape, that might help them seem more robust. I dunno.

I think it might be that right now the cylinder shape is coming across to me as more of a stone, and that contributes to the weak feel of the spikes.
  • fabian roldan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ: thnx man, i fixed the thickness, now it fits to the template and doesn`t look so fragile, added some bandages also...not very original but kind of like it :)

pseudoBug. thnx, i agree, the spikes looked terrible, y made them as a separate subtool and didn`t deform them, now they look stronger i think, what do you think? :poly121:

I changed the skull at the center, made changes here and there based on sugestions, and simplified the pommel. i just need to polish some areas. Please let me know what you think. Cheers.
    hammerprogess2.jpg
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks a lot better now. Can really image death smashing things up with this. .)
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I imagine the demons bodies having a skull face imprinted on their skin.
  • fabian roldan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thnx a lot guys :)
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Looking pretty awesome so far, but it feels like there needs to me an intermediate shape between the hammer head and the grip. Looks a bit fragile there.
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Agreed, it may require some...

512tRDSFFaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • fabian roldan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron: Sure, i moved the handle transition upwards, now it makes contact with the hammer head, and the handle have more space to avoid clipping also, thnx.
    suburbbum: Nice image! :poly124:
    handletransitionfix.jpg
    Now i`ll proceed with the low poly, any more crits will be apreciated.
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The spikes are looking far more deadly and sturdy now. If you can come up with something, it might be a good idea to sculpt some definition to show how they are embedded into the main material. Right now they seem to just float in there. Think about what you want the material to be, how they got there, stuff like that. Not completely necessary maybe, but details like that can help push it to the next level I think if it's done right.

I think you may need to tweak the skulls a bit, give the brows a lot more meat, and think more about shapes and planes that will pick up light.

Here's a crappy paintover to show general direction I'd try to head.
    GGtdK.gif

The end skull in particular seems to have a bit more of a comical look to him. The eyes remind me a little bit of triangle clown eyes, or happy jack-o-lantern eyes.

Watch bobo's scull and weapon vid again to get a better idea of shapes. Right now you have a lot of thin edges sticking out, but not a much in the way of planes, or overall skull shape, imho.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking great and very good paint-over above!

- BoBo
  • Coridium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coridium polycounter lvl 15
    This looks really cool, have to say do like the style of the skulls in the latest paint-over, if you have time, I think that the side one is quite hard to read in the sculpt. nice dangerous looking hammer though!
  • fabian roldan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug: Thnx a lot man!!! i actually was reworking those skulls and your paint over pointed me in the right direction, have no words to thank you. I carved in the area where the spikes meet the hammer body, hope that`s enough, i dont want to put too much detail and brake the chunky look. I watched the videos, didn`t know that material was available, Thank you again :)

Bobo, thnx man glad you liked it.

Here`s the progress
    progress3m.jpg
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah those skulls are much better.
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    100% improvement on those skulls. I think you can still push them a bit more, especially on the large one. Perhaps enlarge and lengthen the maxilla/upper jaw part, seems that darksider style is a little on the longer side there. The cheekbones could probably still use a little more "heft" to them. They're still feeling a little bit "wedge" shaped.

I think the change changes on the cylinder might be fighting the chunkyness like you mentioned. What I was trying to describe was more of indicating how each individual spike was embedded into the main piece. For example, was it driven in, causing a mushrooming out of the material surrounding it? Was it cast in? Things like that. I don't have an answer for what makes sense and would look good though.

Keep goin, this thing is looking killer. :thumbup:
  • fabian roldan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coridium: Thnx!! i`ve reworked the skulls based on suggestions, let me know what you think.

Some minor changes, just pushed the skulls a bit more, and other details, i`ll start with the low poly tomorrow or i won`t finish this on time lol
    I hope the colors and textures pump up this thing a little bit. Thanks everyone for the feedback :)
    progress4.jpg
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    damn! looking slick man!
  • fabian roldan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can`t stop tweaking this thing, i`ve never digged those bone shapes in the hammer head so i changed them, but dunno if that looks darksiders style...just want to know what you think :/
    1or2s.jpg
  • Danglebob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danglebob polycounter lvl 15
    I like the metal bracers better definitely. This is looking fantastic.
  • Clyptic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    Ya, those metal bindings look awesome.
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the added "spike" that the bones give to the hammer. The straps make it lean more toward maker, I think. Less bones and skulls, if you know what I mean.

I meant to suggest this before, but have you thought of using some rings or straps to hold the bones into place? I've always thought that the way the float there is a little odd.(forgot to mention that).

The one on the left feels like it would smash and poke you, the one on the right feels more like it would just smash.

I think the straps make it feel more like it's not quite as solid? Like. . .it's got these straps on to hold it together?
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just spitballing ideas. . might just make it look too busy.

8wNli.jpg
  • Clyptic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    pseudoBug wrote: »
    Like. . .it's got these straps on to hold it together?

...pretty sure that's the entire point. It looks secure.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    removed the top 2 sets of bones holding it together, and keep the bottom ones and it'll look better.
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic wrote: »
    ...pretty sure that's the entire point. It looks secure.

Something only needs straps applied to it if it's at risk of coming apart. That's what I was getting at. Sometimes adding straps to something can actually make it seem less solid. Reinforcement can actually be a sign of previous failure, and can actually hint at weakness. All depends on how it's implemented.

Another way to look at it it would be: Do you want this to feel that it's been made in such a way that straps are holding it together, or that more of an unearthly evil carved it out of a solid block of whatever material it's made of. Does it need patching or reinforcement, or is it such a well made weapon that it smashes through hordes of bad guys without really taking a structural beating?

Maybe that's going too far, but that's the way I'd approach it.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep the bone parts as I think it would fit to the Kotd theme much more.
  • Rapante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rapante polygon
    Nice Hammer, great work! in contrast to most, I'd go with the metal bars though.
  • fabian roldan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon, Screwonhed, Clyptic: Thans a lot!! :)

pseudoBug: Yep, just as Clyptic said, the intention of the bones was to hold the hammer head to the main piece, but you`re absolutely right, they just look like floating there lol, thanx again for the paint over, you`re awsome! and i agree, the ring straps make it detail busy as you mentioned.
    I think i`ll stick to the metal straps, i like the poke function the bones give, but kinda feel they affect the silhouette in a really negative way, another reason is the metal straps will save me some triangles in the low poly, i`m a little bit concerned about that right now. Once again thnx for your feed back :cool:

ZacD: I tried it, and kinda liked it!! but it looks empty there, thnx for your advice man!! :)

AimBiZ: yeah, now that you mention it, i think i may change the theme for darksiders core and take the safe route, those bandages i added to the handle don`t belong to KOTD that much either, i hope bobo can enlighten me here. Thnx for the feedback man.

Rapante: Thnx man!!

More changes, deformed the metal straps to match better the KOTD...but i think i`ll change to DC anyways. And changed the handle transition once again, that thing is giving me a hedache lol
    progress5.jpg
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quickly becoming one of my favorites. I like the metal clamps a lot better.

- BoBo
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely my favourite hammer. Going for DC sounds like a sound decision. Now get the lopoly rollin, not much time left!
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Fucking sweet. My favorite hammer. My ONLY suggestion would be thicken the neck! Maybe by like 30-45%. It looks like it would break if you hit something with it.