Home Technical Talk

A new modeling tool released

Replies

• pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    About the work plane : Max actually has similar tools, its been in here for years but rarely explored. Ill try to focus on that in a vid soon, its extremely useful.
  • ghib
    Nice one Pior, look forward to seeing these vids.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    It's fairly easy to mess things up; pushing and pulling geometry around arbitrarily. But to be able to get mechanical smoothness & evenness back into the model is something that's pretty hard to do by eye.. hmm
    thats where splines are great. In max i often use them as guides. just draw the shape. turn on snapping and align the verts to the spline.
  • Michael Knubben
    I think I'd actually prefer edges over splines. Silo has it set up that way, and a )non-destructively) subdivided line works wonderfully as a replacement for splines. In fact, I find it to be easier to use, and I've been trained (to use, not to like) on using bezier curves.
    It lacks modifiers, or much of any non-destructive workflow, so 'extrude along spline' for instance is destructive, which is something I'd like to see differently in VW.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    totally disagree with you on that one. splines are invaluable for roughing out non organic stuff and for guides.
  • ghib
    I think the problem with splines is that they're a separate operation from the actual process of working on a mesh. I'm not saying they're invaluable as I use them myself all the time.

..but.. if you can control the actual mesh flow in a similar way it would be a much more fluid process without the need to switch back and forth between splines & objects within the scene.
    • Working with splines quickly gets complex the more dense your scene gets and you can very quickly have tons of extra control spline clutter to manage. (As long as VW has decent scene management it shouldn't be a problem.)
    • Working directly on the mesh is a more pure wysiwyg method and the more control we have over organising mesh flow the better.
    I'd really like to see VW excel at direct mechanical mesh editing. I think the key here would be to take the 'simplicity' ideology of Silo and apply it to an intelligent & versatile toolset.

Anyway.. VW should be able to cater for most tastes as long as it keeps it simple concise. There's nothing worse than bloat & duplication of functions (3DCoat is massively guilty of this).
  • IStonia
    IStonia wrote: »
    ghib: I will try to find out the way to solve the hotkey sequence problem. You may still remember that you asked for the view navigation enabled while the cut tool is still on. That's why Ctrl + Alt will cause view navigation because I make it general. I will make it only effective for some certain tools like cut tool that can benefit from this behaviour.
    I can't reproduce the bug about the streamline tool after new tools are added. Can you explain the steps you used so I can follow to check the bug down?

ghib: I am still waiting for the streamline tool bug info.
  • ghib
    IStonia wrote:
    ghib: I am still waiting for the streamline tool bug info.

Yes sorry I was waiting until I could reproduce the bug both at home & work.

Bug Repro steps:
    1. Edit > Customize Streamline Tools
    2. click 'New' to create a new preset.
    3. Selected Generic Tool > Ok
    4. Change name under 'Tool Name' option box
    5. Choose Yes from the question 'Are you sure you want to apply the changes made?' (I think this is the problem stage - All tool settings are lost on this step)
    6. Apply changes (notice that none of the streamline modelling functions work)
  • ghib
    A couple more pieces of feedback:
    • Include the function 'delete' in the keyboard shortcuts window
    • Holding q to lasso select means you can't use 'Shift - Include' or Exclude selections.
    • on deleting end pieces 'Remove Isolated Vertices' should be an automatic process. I can't think of a time when I'd want Isolated Vertices left.
      Remove_Isolated_Vertices.jpg
    • double click selecting end loops on a quad model should terminate where it doesn't have an intersecting edge i.e. the end of the grid. There is already the option to select 'open edges'
      endloop_select.jpg
    • 'Selections > Edge Selections > Open Edges' should be sensitive to current selection. If no selection select all open edges on model. If selection made then isolate to that selection. Similar to how Cap Hole currently works.
    • It would be more intuitive if double click selecting complete poly loops worked like this. Selecting 2 consecutive Polys, double clicking on 2nd will give you the poly loop. Range selecting works fine.
      Poly_loopselect.gif
  • IStonia
    ghib wrote: »
    Yes sorry I was waiting until I could reproduce the bug both at home & work.

Bug Repro steps:
    1. Edit > Customize Streamline Tools
    2. click 'New' to create a new preset.
    3. Selected Generic Tool > Ok
    4. Change name under 'Tool Name' option box
    5. Choose Yes from the question 'Are you sure you want to apply the changes made?' (I think this is the problem stage - All tool settings are lost on this step)
    6. Apply changes (notice that none of the streamline modelling functions work)

ghib: I follow those steps but it just works fine for me. Is it poissible you can make a video for this?
  • Michael Knubben
    r_fletch_r: in what way do they differ enough to make it an impractical replacement, though? A relatively lowpoly edge with a subdivision modifier behaves relatively similar, although I find it nicer to work with than Bezier Curves.

If you've tried the Silo way, could you show some examples of where the practical difference lies? I'm curious now.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    MightlyPea: Booleans, Filleting, and beveling. you can construct very complex precise shapes for mechanical modeling very quickly. Im at work now(using maya at work). but when i get home ill do a quick example of the beziers in max.
  • Michael Knubben
    Booleans are possible with edges (and much cleaner than with faces, right?), filleting would just be a case of placing verts in the right place (as sub-d will automatically rounden corners), and what exactly would bevelling do with splines that's not possible with edges?

With vert weighting, even setting a single vert to hard or smooth should be possible.
    My concern with splines is that it might be a lot of work to implement, it'll complicate overhauling tools (because, as established before, we want to keep tools consistent throughout the entire program/toolset), and really not all that many are proficient at using them, whereas the majority of 3d artists will be familiar with how dub-division smoothing works.

I'm still curious about hearing any pros and cons to this, ofcourse. I might have missed huge downsides to the idea. I must say I was against the idea untill I tried it in Silo, though. So at the very least it's worth a try, if you're curious.
  • IStonia
    Hi Guys,

Just an update of what's been done so far.

That's probably the last update before Christmas, so wish you all a merry Christmas and a happy new year!!!

ghib: I think I have found the bug that clears all the streamline tool contents. It is the preset file for Silo style is not set properly. I have renewed all the preset files.

http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-Dec-21.rar
    Summary of changes
    * To link a top menu item to a related shortcut tool: 1. Press down 'End' key on keyboard. 2. Open the top menue and click to select a menu item. The hotkey editor will be opened with the related tool selected.
    * To set combination keys for a shortcut tool: 1. Once the keyboard layout is opened, click the 'Multi Keys' option to set it on. 2. Eithe click the keys in the form to select them or press down those keys on keyboard. 3. Click OK button to apply.
    * vertex/edge-end-loop-marker ability is added into CurveLoop function.
    * Edge-Loop-Cut-MaintainCurvature tool is added into basic streamline tool library.
    * edge-loop-circularize tool is added into basic streamline tool library.
    * When deleting polygons, the resulted isolated vertices will be removed automatically.
    * LMB first polygon + double LMB second polygon = whole loop selection if the two polygons adjacent to each other.
    * When holding Q to perform lasso selecting, pressing down other boolean selection keys is able.
    * Delete function is added into shortcut tool library.
    * Open edge selection behaviour improved.
    * On key up/down events, the programe will auto check the matched streamline tool and activate new tool or deactivate tool when possible.
    * A few more options are added into vertex Align tool.
    * A few bugs in the streamline tools are fixed, mainly selection issues occured after streamline basic tool being introduced.

Thanks!
  • ghib
    Thanks IStonia, I'll give it a good test when I get a chance. Hope you enjoy your festive hols and have a well deserved break.

All the best.
  • tupu
    Had to register just to say thank you for making this great modeler, this is the first time I have seen a modeler that has the potential to be better than Silo.
    I haven't tested it fully yet but it really has potential to be great.
  • achillepr
    Hallo, last version of VW doesn't start on my WinXP Pro SP3.
    Appears the splash screen and load the exe but no interface.
    Is only a problem of mine?
    Thanks
    Achille
  • achillepr
    I tried the dec-14 ver. and it doesn't work too.
    Have i to install something in my computer? I have VW 2.3 installed yet.
    Bye.
    Achille
  • elte
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    You might check if you have .net framework 1.1 installed. That was the requirement last time but Im not sure if the developer had included it.
  • achillepr
    Yes i've .NET 1.1 and other versions.
    VW worked fine until about 2 weeks ago, i think it depends on somewhat i've done with win register using some register fix program.
    May VW programmer tell me what my computer needs to let VW work?
    Thanks.
    Achille
  • ghib
    achillepr I got this error with the last two releases but I just shut down VW and restarted and the viewports came back. Hope this works for you.
  • achillepr
    I tried but doesn't work. Maybe programmers must change something.
    Bye.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    oops- disregard
  • IStonia
    Hi Guys,

I have lost internet connection the last few days. I changed my internet provider and the transition is not a smooth one. Its fine now.

[Archille]: You don't need to install any additional software. I think the problem occured when I change some user setting values from local computer registry to a seperate user setting file. When loading the new version the first time, the user setting file does not exist yet and that causes error. Normally, loading it the second time things should appear to be fine since the user setting file will be created when closing the programe in the first loading.
    Hopefully this latest version works. If not, please let me know so I can create a debug version to track down the problem.

http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-Dec-31.rar
    Summary of changes
    * A few bugs in Space Loop function are fixed.
    * Some unspecified bug fixings and improvements.
    * 3D-Coat AppLink is implemented. File > 3D-Coat Applink. I haven't got 3D-Coat in my machine, so can't test it myselef.

Thanks!
  • ironbearxl
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, 3dcoat Applink will make alot of people happy.
  • achillepr
    Latest version is working, many thanks and happy 2011.
    Achille
  • GregD3
    3DCoat support, nice! Can't wait to try it out.

Are there any plans for instancing and general display/mesh editing performance gains?
    I've just noticed on a current object >100k polys is choppy to work with where it's smooth in Silo.

Happy 2011 and thanks for VW!
  • IStonia
    GregD3: I will look into those issues at some stage.
    Can you tell me what happened if you have tested the 3D-Coat AppLink? I want to know whether it works or not.
    Happy 2011 to you too!
  • kary
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    The basics all seem to work with 3dCoat. Tried per pixel, voxels, and sending to UVs. All of it seemed okay :). Great integration, very nice way to make base meshes for voxel work.
  • GregD3
    I ran into one issue where VW wouldn't import an object sent from 3DCoat but I have not been able to recreate it. But otherwise everything seems to work well. Thanks!

I do have a request regarding the AppLink: When an object is sent back to VW from 3DCoat, could VW replace (or a 'do you want to replace?' dialog box) the object in the scene with the same name? It'll make the back and forth a little smoother.
  • IStonia
    kary, GregD3: Thanks for the feedbacks. They are very helpfull.

new update
    http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-jan-7-11.rar
    Summary of changes
    * The main menu items have been reorgainized.
    * A few importing from 3D-Coat options are added.
    * Some efforts are made concerning the mesh processing and rendering performance. Mainly by using the multi-core advantage in local computer. Edit > Set Number of Processors.
    * A few unspecified bug fixings.

Thanks!
  • ghib
    Thanks!

Hi, I can't seem to get this to work. Is it similar to the method that I suggested or something other?

Could you give the steps on how the end loop marker works for both vertex and edges please?

Cheers

p.s. Thanks a million for the 3DC Applink. I'll be giving that a good test today.
  • BeatKitano
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    I have big connection problems since a few weeks, so I didn't have the chance to say it before, but wow. Istonia, you're brillant. The 3dcoat bridge is the killer feature too. Silo is dead. So dead ahah, good job. Long live Void world !
  • IStonia
    BeatKitano: Sounds like you are pretty good at both music and poem.

ghib: The end-loop-marker is based on your suggestion. I may probably missunderstood your point. If that's the case, please let me know. I made a video regarding this.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uNx1ZJcDG0[/ame]
  • ghib
    Thanks for the video Kun. It explains perfectly.

I had imagined that the end loop markers would indicate the area that you wanted to operate on (you have the inverse) but after using it for a while it makes perfect sense the way it is now. I very much like the fact that you don't need the two end markers to be on the same edge loop. Perfect

I did find a small BUG by the way.

VW_curveloop_bug_01-1.gif
    One of the outer edge loops isn't included in the operation. (This seems similar to a bug in an earlier version of the curveloop tool)

By the way Kun.. I would definitely make a post on the 3DCoat forum Applink thread
    I was going to make a post but felt it would be better coming from yourself. I'm sure those 3DC guys would love to learn about VW if they aren't already aware.

cheers
  • IStonia
    ghib: Thanks for the forum thread suggestion. I've already talked to Andrew before implementing the AppLink. I am still waiting for some response from him concerning the license thing.
    I'll try to track down that bug.

[Edit]: ghib, can you post over the obj file for that object? I ran into other bugs when I try to emulate it.
  • IStonia
    ghib: I think I have fixed the bug in curve-loop tool. Please test it with the new update.
    http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-jan-9-11.rar
  • ghib
    Thanks Kun, Works much better now but I did notice a few more issues.
    • curveloop on vertex ignores the marker if on a single loop or with only 2 adjacent loops selected. like this:
      curveloop_vertex.jpg
    • Space loop spaces the verts evenly on all selected edgeloops but adjacent edgeloops don't quite match up. This needs a visual example I think.
      VW_spaceloop_even.gif
      last caption says 'Resulting perpendicular edge loops aren't straight'
      Can you think of any way to even out these loops relative to each other?
    • Space loop destroyed mesh when based on this selection. This has happened a few times but is difficult to replicate as it's inconsistent:
      spaceloop_destroy_object.jpg
      link to vws file here

These tools are so close to being complete, just needs a little refinement.

Cheers
  • GregD3
    Another thing on the 3DC AppLink (which is working quite nicely btw) :)
    Exporting from 3DC to VW without first VW exporting to 3DC. There is a Menu item in 3DC called 'Export to' with a list of apps 3DC can export to. It's explained in the AppLink description doc here.
    It's under:
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Update:[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] possibility to drop objects from 3D-Coat to your app directly.[/FONT]

I don't know if you have seen this already, but this would also be helpful if implemented. Hopefully you can get a copy of 3D-Coat or at least the demo.
  • IStonia
    new update
    http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-jan-12-11.rar

ghib:
    * For single loop Curve-Loop operation, it is possible that there is no way to tell which vertex is marker vertex if only rely on adjacent selected vertices. For example, if there are more than two pair of adjacent selected vertices. Also it is possible that you actually don't want the adjacent selected vertex to be a marker vertex. My solution is to let the program remember the last two selected vertices so they can be used as marker vertices. For detailed description, press down End key on keyboard then choose menu Modify > Curve Loop to bring up the hotkey custominzing form. From there you can view the instructions of this tool.
    * Other bugs are fixed except the mesh disappearing bug. Not sure what causes that yet, but I do concern that if the mesh can be recovered by undo?.

GregD3:
    * 'Auto-dectect if 3D-Coat is in Memory' option is added. When exporting to 3D-Coat, if 3D-Coat is not loaded, the program will let you to open it.
    If this option is on, user must log in as administrator. Otherwise this operation may fail and the program may have a few seconds delay in performance. In this case, it is better to turn this option off.
    * 'Inform 3D-Coat this program's executable path' button is added. Click this button to create a run.txt file for 3D-Coat use to open VoidWorld directly. Since VW is currently updated frequently, so there may be more than one VW2.4 executable of different updates in your computer. Please perform this with the one you want 3D-Coat to open.
    * 'Exchange folder path in user document folder' is editable. This is provided because future 3D-Coat versions may use different folder paths.

Please let me know the testing result.

Thanks!
  • saikafu
    Offline / Send Message
    saikafu polycounter lvl 8
    is there anyone post a tut about how to reset the object pivot?

it confused me long time ...everytime i combine two objects and use ctrl + q
    or ctrl + w to make it symmetry ..then i will get two different axis ..
    so what problem or i miss anything ?
  • GregD3
    Thanks IStonia! I really appreciate your work not only on the modeling tools but the 3D-Coat AppLink. I will test this build out as soon as i can.
  • ghib
    :thumbup:curveloop & spaceloop are now working fantastically well together now. It's really easy to make an ordered mesh from a complete mess.
    curveloop_spaceloop.gif
    Great job, I'm loving it. :poly121:

• BUG snapping with 1 or 2 axes selected doesn't always work in any of the views. It's like the snapping function becomes corrupted sometimes.
    • BUG Vertices are not visible in the orthographic viewports (but are if you use the 'Snap View on Rotating (Orthographic))

• SUGGESTION Operations & Selections need separate UNDO lists. (I think this is important in order to be able to perform complex modelling operation sequences more easily). e.g. you've spent a bit of time making a series of loop selects for curveloop but realise you need to translate/rotate one of the them. So:
      1. make new selection
      2. make changes.
      3. 'Selection UNDO' to previous complex selection (leaving the geometry changes intact)
      Hope this makes sense
    • SUGGESTION Spherize function works well but a Circularize function is also needed. see post about Wings3D. This becomes apparent when selecting a bunch of edgeloops and want to Make them all Circular. The end result is a sphere, not a cylinder.
    • SUGGESTION Soft Selection Edit dialogue should be made available independently of sub-object selection.
    • SUGGESTION Object List should be made available independently of sub-object selection.

Anyway great work as always.
  • IStonia
    Hi Guys,

Just an update of what's been done so far.

That's probably the last update before Christmas, so wish you all a merry Christmas and a happy new year!!!

ghib: I think I have found the bug that clears all the streamline tool contents. It is the preset file for Silo style is not set properly. I have renewed all the preset files.

http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-Dec-21.rar
    Summary of changes
    * To link a top menu item to a related shortcut tool: 1. Press down 'End' key on keyboard. 2. Open the top menue and click to select a menu item. The hotkey editor will be opened with the related tool selected.
    * To set combination keys for a shortcut tool: 1. Once the keyboard layout is opened, click the 'Multi Keys' option to set it on. 2. Eithe click the keys in the form to select them or press down those keys on keyboard. 3. Click OK button to apply.
    * Edge-Loop-Cut-MaintainCurvature tool is added into basic streamline tool library.
    * edge-loop-circularize tool is added into basic streamline tool library.
    * When deleting polygons, the resulted isolated vertices will be removed automatically.
    * LMB first polygon + double LMB second polygon = whole loop selection if the two polygons adjacent to each other.
    * When holding Q to perform lasso selecting, pressing down other boolean selection keys is able.
    * Delete function is added into shortcut tool library.
    * Open edge selection behaviour improved.
    * On key up/down events, the programe will auto check the matched streamline tool and activate new tool or deactivate tool when possible.
    * A few more options are added into vertex Align tool.
    * A few bugs in the streamline tools are fixed, mainly selection issues occured after streamline basic tool being introduced.

Thanks!

ghib: There is a circular tool already in the basic streamline tool library. You need to create a new streamline tool to use it.
    Please see the update notes in the Dec-21 update.

saikafu: There is a object tool 'Reset Base' which allows you to reset an object's pivot and orientation to the world or a specified space and still maitain the meshes unchanged. I should change the 'Location only' naming to 'Poivot only' in the option dialog, it's confusing.
  • ghib
    ghib: There is a circular tool already in the basic streamline tool library. You need to create a new streamline tool to use it.
    Please see the update notes in the Dec-21 update.

Forgive me but I cannot for the life of me find this Circular tool in the Streamline tool library. Also would it not be better to have it available as a regular tool that we can just assign a keyboard shortcut to?

also... Attempting to create a custom streamline tool I'm unfortunately still getting this BUG . I'll make a screengrab of the result tomorrow.

Cheers
  • IStonia
    ghib: Since you want the scaling functionality after circularizing, I set this tool as a streamline tool. Do you think it a good idea to pack it into edge G tool under X2 mouse button control. Creating one hotkey for just one tool doesn't seem like a good idea, hotkeys may run out in no time.
    I still can't reproduce the streamline tool bug, can't wait to see the screengrab. But I think it could be better if you can make a video, in that way I can follow up in correct steps. Microsoft's Windows Live Movie Maker can convert avi file to wmv file to reduce file size, just in case you may want to know.
  • ghib
    Ah yes I've found it now thanks and giving it a test.
    I think you're right about it being a streamline tool.

Works well only for complete edgeloops so it needs to run on as many different selection types as possible. Here are some ideas:
    • The 'auto edge loop' select needs to be moved to a secondary function I think. This is so that it can be bound to a MMB for instance, then the LMB will only work on selected geometry which is more desirable for most operations. (similar to how you have a lot of the streamline tools already)
    • needs to work on ALL sub-object types.
      If vertices are selected it will attempt to make only that selection circular. e.g. if 3 vertices are selected it will make a perfect equilateral triangle. This should be regardless of whether the vertices lie on the same edge loop or not. Don't ask me why, it should just work :)
      If polygons are selected it will recognise the boundary and attempt to make circular and also 'even out' & auto flatten interior vertices to one plane.
      Circularize_polys.jpg
    • Needs to work on non-edgeloop selections. Wings3d does this:
      Wings_Circularise_nonedgeloop-1.gif
      Unfortunately it seems to disconnect the existing edgeloops but if VW could avoid this it would be great.
    • Selection centre should be used as the centre of the circle.

That's all I can think of for just now sorry.

p.s. For some completely bizarre reason I can now make a new streamline tool without any error. If it pops up again I'll take that screengrab.
  • GregD3
    The current symmetry is a little difficult to use. I can't find a way to set the symmetry plane position for an object.

A request for an additional type of symmetry: Be able to calculate symmetry by selecting an edge that is the center of the object. VW then 'links' geometry from one side with the matching geometry on the other side. Also, allow for asymmetry symmetry. i.e. A posed human with an arm raised on one side (but each side has the same amount of vertices but different positions). I hope this makes sense.

Mudbox has something like it for sculpting here under 'Set a topological axis'
  • ghib
    I'm really glad you brought this up GregD3, I actually quite like the way you can simply apply symmetry to an object regardless of where it is in the scene but a bit more control (and visual indication) as to where the symmetry plane is would help massively.

I was also going to suggest a refinement to the way pivots work in VW.

I think it would be a great idea to take all the best ideas from the apps out there and try and implement them here.

My take is:
    • Softimage - Objects can have a 'Real' pivot and a temporary pivot. hold a hotkey to place the temp pivot for really quick edits (it's extremely useful and fluid to use) I'll give more info on how this is implemented if you think it's a useful sounding thing.
    • Modo - Work Plane. A temporary workplane that can align to the current selection.

I like VW's current Pivot position & Orientation distinction but it just feels a bit clunky at the moment.
  • GregD3
    Great ideas ghib! I would love to see those features implemented.