Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

small scifi environment for unreal 3

snake85027
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
I decided to wrap this up. Hope you enjoy the environment.
All you have to do is download the file for unreal 3 and put the files in this directory. Its about 30 mb.

My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps

http://www.zshare.net/download/714335983b20246b/

shot1.jpg

Replies

• nrek
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Hey man the enviro looks pretty cool from what I can see but it would be nice to have more screenshots. If people don't have time to download and play the map then at least provide enough screens so that they can get an idea of all the work you put into this. The lighting seems to be the biggest problem at the moment, its all very flat and even. Some hot spots on the floor from those overhead lights would be a nice start. And the cones you used to make the light rays have a very harsh edge that totally breaks the illusion. Like I said it looks like a cool scene but please post some more screenshots.
  • snake85027
    Offline / Send Message
    shot3.jpg
    shot4.jpg
    shot5.jpg

This was going to be in it but it was for another room in the level.
    bulletcastingSHEET.jpg
  • snake85027
    Offline / Send Message
    As for the lighting I am not sure on how to make it not look flat, I put another uv ch for the lighting on most of the meshes in the room.
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Man!

I'm glad you finally got the chance to finish this off, but my main concern is that the level and assets feel rushed as most of the assets and layout of the level are not very pleasing on the eyes.

This looks like it is due to the fact that there is no concept or final milestone in what you were trying to do resulting in poor execution of the level itself. One thing you need to learn when working on scenes is your not a concept artist and if you try to make/design your own assets your probably going to make sub par assets, This was a huge case for me 1-2 years ago when i was trying to make thing off the top of my head, I would just end up making really bad assets.

My only other suggestion is when posting Screen shots of maps make sure to make it look professional. That blue border is really bringing down the quality, If i was a hiring manager and saw that image on someones portfolio I would skip to the next artist.

All in all it looks like this level was a good learning experience for you but i think that you need to focus on your assets first, maybe for you next project make a small scene that is manageable or find some concept art on the internet that you can use to make some stellar assets.

I hope that i was not too hard and that you strap down and work hard on your next scene/Asset as I think that is what you need to do in order to be viable for a job in the industry at this point. And remember to make a mood board and gather a lot of reference as that is what you will need to make a really stand out portfolio piece!

Cheers,

Arman