Home General Discussion

Evangelion Rebuild

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
JacqueChoi polycounter
I guess I was completely out of the loop on this one.
Did a forum search on this, and couldn't find anything.

Turns out the Studio that MADE Evangelion, is completely remaking the series in 4 -feature film quality movies.
The art animation looks STELLAR.

2 have already been released in Japan.

Trailer for 1.0
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZeCJ_sfgqc[/ame]

Trailer for 2.0
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GhnA5JoYOg[/ame]

Anyone know if there's plans to release this in North America? Or possibly BlueRay?

:D

Replies

• Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Oh yeah, I saw the first one. Didn't know the second one was already out.

As near as I can tell, they are compressing the series down, cutting out a lot of the dead space and unneccessary elements. This makes the show more watchable, but it also loses a bit of the tone of isolation that helped make the series feel more dramatic. And yes, the animation is definitely a step up.

I haven't heard of any US company liscencing this yet. But I imagine it would just be a matter of time. Evangelion is well known, even here in the states.

It seems that a lot of Japanese studios are going this route lately. Re-making popular, successful series is the latest fad in the anime community. The current economic depression is probably to blame. There is a lot less risk in recycling something that you already know people like. And so far, it definitely seems to be working. By cutting out all of dross and filler, they are able to produce cleaner, less bloated series. The fans generally approve of this approach. More importantly to the producers, shorter series mean less expense. The general production quality is also higher, since all of the resources are being focused on smaller projects.

They are taking the same approach with re-making Full Metal Alchemist and Dragon Ball Z.
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    waiting for the live action remake from weta
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    It must be nice to have an IP that you can just keep recutting and selling again and again.
  • Ferg
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    will someone please just cut out every giant robot fight scene and release just that? Nobody cares about the characters, anyone who says they watch this for the "drama" is lying or insane. This show exists to give the artists an excuse to make huge ass robots beat the hell out of eachother. The end. Please stop wasting my time with schoolkid drama.
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    Ferg wrote: »
    will someone please just cut out every giant robot fight scene and release just that? Nobody cares about the characters, anyone who says they watch this for the "drama" is lying or insane. This show exists to give the artists an excuse to make huge ass robots beat the hell out of eachother. The end. Please stop wasting my time with schoolkid drama.

thats part of the point of anime. having to torture yourself through the schoolkid drama, makes the fights become a lot more enjoyable. mostly because of the dramatic change of pace.
    in one second you're in syrupy drama, the next you're in blitzing huge mecha-fighting!
    plus you get a layer of meaning behind the action, which helps the feel of the fight, instead of feeling like a tacked-on commercial break.
  • Pope Adam
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
  • glynnsmith
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Damn. Is this the 3rd or 4th remake? I love EVA, but something new might be good. A prequel maybe?
  • jocose
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    <RANT> As huge EVA nerd I'm obligated to step and tell you all THEY ARE NOT ROBOTS! They are angel human hybrid clone...things and the plating on the outside of them isn't just armor it's also a restraint to keep them from going ape shit. This, IMO, makes the immeasurably cooler than mere robots. </RANT>

Anyways the remakes are very cool, but like Marine said the live action film from WETA is what could really be a game changer. There is a blog about it here: http://neon-genesis-evangelion.moviechronicles.com/?rd=1
  • _Gr9yFox_
    Offline / Send Message
    _Gr9yFox_ polycounter lvl 10
    Saw the first one about a year ago, the blue cube-like angel's fight is unbelievably better.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Its the 2nd remake.... technically. End of evangelion wasnt a remake it was the story as it was meant to be told! If you watch the original episode 24 (or directors cut) you will see the early animatic for what is the Asuka vs Manmade angel fight.

I personally liked shinji and I liked how depressing the story was, but i love bittersweet and odd shit so fuck it, to each their own.

If people are after some sexy animation with an average to amazing plot then check out Tetsuwan Birdy Decode:

A clip from the 2nd season to whet appetites.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFlV0km-jCU&amp;feature=related[/ame]
  • jocose
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    perna wrote: »
    There's underage nudity in that series. Strongly recommended

I've got my eye on you ;)

chrishansen020209.jpg
  • Lord McMutton
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Great. More mindrape.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Marine wrote: »
    waiting for the live action remake from weta
    The live action remake of a decidedly art house anime being developed as a hollywood blockbuster?