Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DOTA 2] - Sniper

CURRENT STATUS:

So I'm back on track after a very busy weekend.

I've had a lot of software trouble with zBrush and just technical stuff in general, so it's been very slow today. I've never done anything like this before, so I'm just learning as I go. It's frustrating, but good fun when you manage to push through.

So here's a sculpt of the arm piece, just quick and dirty in Mudbox, not wasting time on details that nobody will see or anything like that. Very rough and simple. wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1640x936.armssculpt.jpg

INITAL FIRST POST:

Hey! Never entered any of these competitions, but this one looked like fun, so I'm having a go. I've hardly play DOTA at all, and never touched dota2, but I've tried to do my research, so hopefully I'll be able to come up with something viable.

I did a few quick sketches, but nothing that's gonna be of any help to you guys, so here's the first WIP shot of the main blockout for the head piece.

I decided to sort of base the design off Sniper's lore, and how he now has to become a legendary battlefield veteran and what not, so I'm going for something along the lines of "Battle-hardened Sniper" as a key phrase for my design. Going for a mixture of soft leather/fur pieces, plated with metal, the fur is because he's a mountain guy, who also has a long tradition of hunting, so that's obvious. And the plating is get him armored up for / from battle.

So here it is so far - everything is still subject to change of course.

helmetmodeled01.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Replies

• selvesteHE
    So here's today's update. I tend to like clean and classy armor-sets, so as a result this design is fairly simple as far as silhouette goes, but I aim to make up for that, come texture time.

Current status: - I have the back piece and weapon left before I go on to sculpting. However, I'll probably end up changing the goggles entirely. I also feel like I should add some volume to this shoulder pads, as well as adding some ornament or other asset to his right shoulder to make it stand out a little more.

Not sure how I feel about the crosshair on his hat, there.. What do you reckon?

helmshoulderarmsmodeled.jpg

• selvesteHE
    Spent most of the day figuring out how to import models into the game, took me forever, but I finally got it working after many hours of google.

Tweaked the shoulders a little, added a knife piece - I like the way it looks with one on each shoulder, but it might be a little over the top. What do you think?

oneknifetwoknife.jpg
  • selvesteHE
    So here I have the blockout pretty much done. Still have the weapon left, but I'm going to move on to sculpting some of these pieces, just to freshen things up a bit, polymodeling gets kinda lame after a while.

blocking.jpg

• selvesteHE
    So I'm back on track after a very busy weekend.

I've had a lot of software trouble with zBrush and just technical stuff in general, so it's been very slow today. I've never done anything like this before, so I'm just learning as I go. It's frustrating, but good fun when you manage to push through.

So here's a sculpt of the arm piece, just quick and dirty in Mudbox, not wasting time on details that nobody will see or anything like that. Very rough and simple. armssculpt.jpg

• foeffa
    Like the idea, and looking good so far :)