Home Adobe Substance

Substance Designer - Master Thread

Replies

• NanoTurtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Substance Designer's fbx import seems to be pretty broken for me for at least a whole month now. These are Blender .fbx's that import fine into Xnormal. on my amd desktop my low poly mesh imports fine yet my High Poly is empty. On my nvidia Laptop Substance painter complains about my 760gtm not being supported (it works fine though) while any fbx I import in Designer ends up being completely distorted. I'm assuming this is due to a change to the Blender .fbx exporter in version 2.71 that Substance does not like.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    NanoTurtle wrote: »
    Substance Designer's fbx import seems to be pretty broken for me for at least a whole month now. These are Blender .fbx's that import fine into Xnormal. on my amd desktop my low poly mesh imports fine yet my High Poly is empty. On my nvidia Laptop Substance painter complains about my 760gtm not being supported (it works fine though) while any fbx I import in Designer ends up being completely distorted. I'm assuming this is due to a change to the Blender .fbx exporter in version 2.71 that Substance does not like.
    Could you send me by PM some fbx files to reproduce your problems ?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth

I checked the files you sent me via PM. I was able to open your high-poly meshes (not without difficulty, even inside 3DsMax/Maya), however 9,5 millions of triangles is way too much for the 3D view of Designer. I would not advise to link your HP meshes with such as high polycount. Or at least don't try to load it in the 3D view. If you want to bake your low-poly simply load you HP in the baker directly.

Regarding the baking, I think you could get the same result with way less polygons even for subdivided high-poly meshes. Since you are baking clean objects such as a bottle or a pair of scissors, not need to subdivide that much.
  • NanoTurtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm, that is odd. My viewport claims it has less than 2 mil. It might have something to do with the way multires modifiers work vs classic subsurf. I'll have a look and see what's up.
    Appreciate you taking the time for this.

EDIT: After slapping some decimate modifiers on the HP and removing all but the scissors it's still a no go (only around 20k tri's left). The mesh is not showing in the 3d view nor is the bake showing.
  • harry1511
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harry1511 polycounter lvl 5
    I figure I should post it here as well. So I recently encounter a weird problem with 3D view in SD 4.4.1. A low-res mesh, which is an obj, looks like this:

Bug.jpg

I loaded it in Marmoset (and Maya as well), it looks fine, here is the screenshot:

Bug2.jpg

So is it a bug, or am I doing something wrong? I sculpted this model in Zbrush, retopoed in 3D Coat, and now I am trying to bake normal map. The normal map looks fine, but since the model looks broken, I can't apply the map to see if it's correct. I opened an old project, those models look correctly in SD.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Could you check if your vertex normals aren't inverted ? (Maybe they are pointing inward instead of outward.)
    If this is not the problem, send me the mesh via a PM and I will look into it. :)
  • harry1511
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the quick reply, I will look at it after work, hopefully it's just that problem. If not, I will send my mesh your way. :)
  • FrancisR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FrancisR polycounter lvl 2
    Bass i've done using only Substance Designer. All textures are procedural except the fender logo on the headstock. currently stands at a little more than 8500 triangles and should stay there.

2wy3rcP.jpg

jOfXQnx.jpg

NGAY9m6.jpg
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    harry1511 wrote: »
    I figure I should post it here as well. So I recently encounter a weird problem with 3D view in SD 4.4.1. A low-res mesh, which is an obj, looks like this:

Bug.jpg

I loaded it in Marmoset (and Maya as well), it looks fine, here is the screenshot:

[IMG*]http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu231/harry15111988/Bug2.jpg[/IMG]

So is it a bug, or am I doing something wrong? I sculpted this model in Zbrush, retopoed in 3D Coat, and now I am trying to bake normal map. The normal map looks fine, but since the model looks broken, I can't apply the map to see if it's correct. I opened an old project, those models look correctly in SD.
    harry1511 wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply, I will look at it after work, hopefully it's just that problem. If not, I will send my mesh your way.

The model imports fine over here. I was able to reproduce your problem simply by switching to the Tesselation shader. The default displacement value is at 0 which makes your model skhrinked like in your screenshot.

Simply switch to an other shader of just plug a grayscale input in the height input to fix your problem. :)

EDIT: After slapping some decimate modifiers on the HP and removing all but the scissors it's still a no go (only around 20k tri's left). The mesh is not showing in the 3d view nor is the bake showing.
    Can you resend me the mesh then ? I will into it again. Also, does it work with an obj file ?
  • NanoTurtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok wrote: »

Can you resend me the mesh then ? I will into it again. Also, does it work with an obj file ?

PM with links sent. .obj also doesn't play ball. Same thing, empty mesh in SD that shows up fine in Xnormal though.

I think I might've found our perpetrator though : UV'ing the scissors makes it show up in the 3d view. Baking however, still doesn't work.
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    FrancisR wrote: »
    Bass i've done using only Substance Designer. All textures are procedural except the fender logo on the headstock. currently stands at a little more than 8500 triangles and should stay there.

NGAY9m6.jpg

This looks amazing :). Awesome job. How long did the Substance work take you?
  • FrancisR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn wrote: »
    This looks amazing :). Awesome job. How long did the Substance work take you?

Thanks man!

Took me around a week with hours taken here and there. I had to learn how to plug different substances together and it was the first PBR prop I've done completely inside SD. I also lost the better part of a day wondering why some bakes weren't working properly only to find out it's because I exported my hipoly with isoline display enabled on my turbosmooth modifier.
  • harry1511
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok wrote: »
    The model imports fine over here. I was able to reproduce your problem simply by switching to the Tesselation shader. The default displacement value is at 0 which makes your model skhrinked like in your screenshot.

Simply switch to an other shader of just plug a grayscale input in the height input to fix your problem. :)

Awesome!!!I didn't realize I was in tessellation shader. Must have switched to it for some reason. Thank you so much.!!!
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    FrancisR wrote: »
    Thanks man!

Took me around a week with hours taken here and there. I had to learn how to plug different substances together and it was the first PBR prop I've done completely inside SD. I also lost the better part of a day wondering why some bakes weren't working properly only to find out it's because I exported my hipoly with isoline display enabled on my turbosmooth modifier.

Ah cool cool. Are you going to look into making this a template for other guitars? Basically plug any model in and have it have basic materials?

Also, are you thinking at all about adding grunge or having it age?
  • FrancisR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn wrote: »
    Ah cool cool. Are you going to look into making this a template for other guitars? Basically plug any model in and have it have basic materials?

Also, are you thinking at all about adding grunge or having it age?

Lots of the substances are good enough to be kept as templates for other guitars. The plastic, chrome, steel and rosewood (the dark wood on the neck of the bass) can be kept as they are and used in other projects.

Age and wear is planned but I would benefit greatly by knowing a bit more about how to link Substance Painter masks and nodes into Substance Designer. When I was looking into it a few weeks ago it looked very unintuitive.

I'd gladly take a walkthrough on the standard process. I know some new videos were going to come out when substance painter gets it's official release.
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    Can someone reupload this substance? Would love to reverse engineer it.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1983300&postcount=46
  • Jerc
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
  • Jeza87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I have a problem with SD 4.4.1 when i installed it says "ENTRY POINT NOT FOUND INITALIZE CONDITION VARIABLE COULD NOT BE LOCATED IN THE DYNAMIC LINK LIBRARY KERNEL32.DLL" what is this error? I'm coming from a previous version 4.1.1 which worked fine when I used it in the past.
  • oblomov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oblomov polycounter lvl 8
    I suppose you are using Windows XP. It seems Designer has stopped working on XP since a couple versions now. Unfortunately, I think we'll probably have to stop supporting it.
  • Murasam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murasam polycounter lvl 11
    Anyone having problems with the quality transferring from Painter to Unreal 4. Looks amazing in Substance and horrid in UE4.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Make sure you set the metalness and roughness maps to Linear in UE4. As a general rule, all greyscale maps should be set to linear.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The new 4.5 update is out!

Release notes are over there and here is a quick video summary of the new features :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr9h-9J4-8s"]Substance Designer 4.5 Feature Update - YouTube[/ame]
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    WOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW. DAAAMNNNN

yes, that had to all be caps
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hmm, on a more serious note, there are now duplicates of every node in my Library. They are from the same location as well, same file, just dupes.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Are we talking about a custom library path or just the standard library that comes with SD?
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Standard library. They are both going to the same path on my C drive where it is installed. IT could have something to do with my non-steam version of SD but that was installed back on 4.4.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Sometimes having a Steam and non steam version installed at the same time can cause issues with duplicated libraries indeed. I would recommend installing one or the other.
  • Owers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Owers polycounter lvl 10
    Really excited about the new features, but I'm having a lot of issues with 4.5 for Mac. The software either freezes or crashes before I can get a chance to view a substance at all. I've rolled back to 4.4.1 and it works fine. If it helps here are the specs:

Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
    Software: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

This is a Mac I have to use at work, so sadly I don't have any choice or control over the hardware.
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    Been waiting for this update :) So excited!
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
    @Owers

We are investigating the problem, but for the moment we are not able to reproduce on our side.. :/
    Can you try to launch SD with either the integrated graphics or the AMD gpu ? (you can use gfxCardStatus to manually switch).
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Hey guys,

I've just installed the new version and while it's great, I've noticed this:
    SD_PBRVP.jpg

The material is pretty much the same on both shots, but metalness set to 1 in the first one and to 0 on the second one. Is this the expected behavior? I expected the ball on the right to be red too!
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Yes, the environment does not contribute to the diffuse anymore when using PBR shaders, we are working on a hotfix.
    Sorry for the trouble :/
  • Owers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Owers polycounter lvl 10
    NicolasW wrote: »
    @Owers

We are investigating the problem, but for the moment we are not able to reproduce on our side.. :/
    Can you try to launch SD with either the integrated graphics or the AMD gpu ? (you can use gfxCardStatus to manually switch).

Sorry, disregard what I said. I came back into the studio the next morning and it's working fine. Not sure what happened before, maybe the machine just needed a reboot (it's due for a replacement). Thanks a lot for the help though. Each improvement to the baking workflow means I don't have to bring work home with me as often as I used to. :thumbup:
  • sebdeguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sebdeguy polycounter lvl 3
    In case you guys missed this one (by Samuel Compain, 100% Substance Designer):

samuel-compain-final-00.jpg?1411993131

More shots there:

http://www.artstation.com/artwork/khul-gaar
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    Does anybody know how to make a herringbone pattern? I tried multiple approaches with different generators but I can't make boards tile.

parquet-patterns.jpg
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The hotfix for the diffuse issue with PBR shaders will be released tomorrow, along with a bunch of other bug fixes.
  • Jerc
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arvinmoses polycounter lvl 13
    Working on a procedural brick in Substance. Eyes are getting a little weary. Could use some fresh eyes on it. Thanks:
    screenshot0002.png

@dzibarik Some of those are pretty simple.

use a tile Node. it basically tiles a shape with options. The herringbone patters may be a little tougher but I think you can still get it using the tile node.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @arvinmoses I had no problems with others. Only herringbone gave me trouble. I used tile node of course.
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry man. Guess I misread. Not sure about herringbone. I'll post if I figure it out.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also about your bricks - looks good but I think some grunge look way too clean. But may be you were going for that specific handpainted look.
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not necessarily hand painted, although I'd like to try that in the future, but definitely stylized. Are you saying I need a sharper transition from the mortar to the bricks?
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no, if you're aiming for stylized it's all good.
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    @dzibarik I like where this is going so far :). Do you have a picture of what you're looking at for inspiration or reference?

Definitly getting the stylized feel. How much control do you have over it? Can you change brick amount/color/age?

@arvinmoses I've been trying to create a herringbone using multiple tiling nodes with different masks on them but haven't gotten it to work perfectly yet. Will keep giving it a go.
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updates on it.
    screenshot0012.png
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found a way to make a herringbone pattern. It's just a bunch of transformation nodes blended together. I'll try to finish one tommorow or may be even today.
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    @dzibarik are you literally just taking rectangles and moving them where they need to be?