Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIV - 3D - Zwebbie

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
- Update - the old concept is now ditched, because it was too mechanical and I couldn't find an identity for the characters.

Latest:
Scroll down for the final images

- Old post -

For the life of me, I can't do that thumbnailing thing. I tried it with DWII, with DWIII and now with IV, but the best ideas are always the ones that I come up with while taking a walk.

So here's what's been stalking my mind so far:

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5198/dominancedoodle1.jpg

In short, a man and a woman drive a giant clockpunk four-armed bird-man exoskeleton that is held up by a magic gyroscope. And it has scythes attached to its arms.

Replies

• Zwebbie
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't try to make any sense of it - I'll make the body once I know how the arms and legs stick out; I'm just posting an update to show that I'm still in the race and don't belong on page 17.

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/8861/dwivrender1.jpg
  • jerry
    You really deserve a comment on this. I think the concept is really bizarre, i like that. It could come from a Dali picture or something. The model is looking fine as well, keep it up!
  • Microneezia
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    Bird men doppelgangers! jesus my new favorite!
  • JFletcher
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    i like the original concept, though the model seems to have taken a different direction.

In the concept the bird head at the top seems to be a good focus point which is great, but in the model your kind of stuck between two characters and your not really sure which your supposed to be looking at.

edit:

ah, i need to learn to read properly, heh, ok, ignore all that :) (though the small details on the high poly got me under the impression the larger shapes were acheived)

will be watching this one! i love bird thingies :)
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, guys.

JFletcher - Yeah, I can imagine it's confusing. It's sort of final-result and concept into one, so I add detail as I go, as opposed to in the end. It's probably not very clever, but I do think I'd go raving mad if I had to do a day of constant arabic pattern modeling ;) .

Hardly a stunning update, but you can blame the patterns for that. I guess the proportions are becoming more clear now.
    http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8339/dwivrender2.jpg

I'm gonna add more animals to the whole thing, like the pneumatic snakes that it has now. As it stands, the top part is almost purely organic in shape, whereas the rest isn't at all.
  • Unleashed
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    I quite like the concept it almost has a tribal feel like the trolls in wow :)
    the model does feel bulkier than it(concept) now, not sure if thats intentional now
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Just ignore this post ;)
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, after a full two failed tries, here's a last, desperate attempt at a DomWar entry. I already gave up and started modeling this head for a next portfolio piece, but I couldn't resist trying to finish it in a week and entering. If that's not possible, it can always be a portfolio piece afterwards. Still, here's hoping for some more extension ;) .

DWIV22.jpg

Hoping to finish the high poly tomorrow or the day after that. I'll write the short backstory too if I find the time. Her theme is luck.
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
  • Unleashed
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    She looks rather short, any backstory on the character?
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Unleashed :) . Here's the backstory (so far, anyway):
    Ylia must have been the unluckiest person in the world. Her mother died while giving birth to her. Her father died a few years after. Her brothers sold her into slavery, where she clumsily served a displeased master. The next long years, she toiled hard and, somehow, seemed to do everything the wrong way. As a young woman, she broke the family's porcelain and nearly destroyed the east wing of the house. At night, she overheard the whisperings of her master, that she would soon be sold to the quarries. Desperate, Ylia decided to make her own fortune and tried to steal whatever valuables the master had in his house before running away...

Amazingly, she was successful for the first time in her life.

After that, it seemed Ylia's fortunes had turned. When she tried to rent herself a place with the stolen goods, the landlord saw how naive this runaway was and he – a notorious gambler – challenged her to a game of cards. She won herself the best room in the building and kept her treasure. Ylia took up a life of crime, succesful by sheer luck. She quickly became famous as the 'girl whose every move dodges a bullet' and now sells her services as a thief, spotter, guide and sniper to the highest bidder.

With reality broken and demons invading, plenty of adventurers and heroes find her skills invaluable. She wields the experimental Brightfire rifle – found on the street one day – and scatters glowgons around to mark paths. Figuring that Lady Luck still owes her for her younger years, she isn't afraid in the slightest of the demonic monstrosities and ruthless machines and dresses as extravagantly as she can.

Odds? Pfft. Fortune favours the bold.

So partially, the shortness is essential to her character; she's physically just a regular young woman and downright puny compared to the average Dominance War character. That she survives at all is down to sheer luck. That said, I'll make her legs just a tad longer, but I don't think she's particularly short if you take real proportions (and not supermodel ones).

Here's the lowpoly in Marmoset. The normals still need a ton of fixing and the rifle is going to get a strap.

DWIV24.jpg

Fun fact: she's got teeth, so I should be able to make her smile :D .
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thats a nice character youve got there :) you gonna add details in crazybump? or do you have a particular style of rendering in mind? it just seems like theres not much medium or small detail going on in the normal map, so it looks kind of comic book style to me.
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm afraid that's more a result of a severe lack of time and limited polygon handling capacity of Blender's sculpting than a stylistic decision :( . Well, I don't really like all the sculpty detail for detail's sake that some people have, but I hope I can find the time to add more gold, baroque details in the clothing.

Decisions, decisions.
    DWIV25.jpg

(ignore all the oddness with normal maps and the stomach area).
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Nice.

I think maybe something in between could work well, more of a magenta colour. Or you could go with the polycount theme and have black with some green trim pattern.
  • JFletcher
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    wow,

lovely clean style dude, looks great. :)
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Mongrelman. I didn't think the green-and-black would actually look good, but I'm convinced (it doesn't work the other way around though; makes her look Irish) :D .

Thanks, JFletcher. Your filled-to-the-brim with details style isn't too bad either ;) .

DWIV26.jpg

I'm gonna make it :) !
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
  • javier.deandres
    I like the expression of the face, and the great design of the presentation