Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge February 2015 (27)

Replies

• Artush
    Offline / Send Message
    Artush polycounter lvl 7
    hmm_rock wrote: »
    Artush I think your ...

yes i will need to create different ones but it is pretty quick so we will see :) but i still dont know what to put on ground maybe some cobblestone bricks road well .. :D
    here is little update .. hard end of the week... so nothing extra, just texture/zbrush ready Well :)
    next update when i create at least half village :D
    Changed it alot on it because it looks too simple in concept

well_by_artush-d8h7dpy.png

well_by_artush-d8hba0i.jpg

GH and HF :)
  • billitor
    Offline / Send Message
    billitor polycounter lvl 5
    hi everyone, as promised i post my zbrush version of the shield
    if someone can,give a feedback please.

MDGzodx.png
    XxhAbmm.png
  • hmm_rock
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm_rock polycounter lvl 10
    Here's the blockout I've been working on. Still a bit messy, but so many things will be modular that I'll end up replacing them probably. The corner roof of the larger building is giving me issues :P and the round mill building in the back is a little wonky. I also fleshed out the well a bit more. Still learning UE4 so I know there is quite a lack of definition in my screenshot. Maybe I'll work on getting the lighting sorted out next.

ZrEMhCf.jpg?1
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    f1r3w4rr10r polycounter lvl 9
    @billitor: Some of the details are still missing. For example the grooves on the frame and the bolts on the wood. Same goes for the details on those protruding parts. No idea if were planning on still adding those. If so, ignore this.

The second thing: The wood grain is really strong compared to the grooves, that separate the wood. I can't really tell where one board ends and the next one begins. You might want to change that a bit.
  • Fletcher
    Offline / Send Message
    Fletcher polycounter lvl 11
    Hey there folks, my first entry ever :D You showed here really neat stuff :)
    So here is my hp wip, ornaments suck, I know. I will re-do them.
    I1wYUSz.png?1
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    @Billitor, I think the wood is kind of noisy and needs a bigger grove between the planks of wood. Currently it looks like a whole bunch of little planks or one big plank with a whole bunch of grain. (like what f1r3w4rr10r said)

Also, since this is a sheild small cuts like the ones you made won't really show, it'll be better if you had dents or gaint slashes. There should also be a gap in the cut between transitions that have different elevations.

You should also soften the edges of the metal frame just a bit and keep it consistent through out, having scratches in some areas. (mainly outer)

@Fletcher, the shading looks kind of weird on the center plate, (it extrudes outwards a bit) maybe have it flat?

Hello, This is my first time posting to this part of polycount,
    RbR0zCy.png

I'm not too happy with the result, so I'll retopologize it as for a cleaner high poly. (also played around with scratches :) )
  • Serphantim
    Offline / Send Message
    Serphantim polycounter lvl 3
    Hey all here is my first shot at the assignment.

Created one house and reused the parts/textures to create some of the other houses in the background. Still gotta actually make the houses complete and fill the background a bit more.

[sketchfab]65709c0e776542cd8a61965d58975bca[/sketchfab]
    Buildings by serphantim on Sketchfab
  • Maher
    Offline / Send Message
    Maher polycounter lvl 5
    Starting with the wood , unfortunately I haven't too much time in the day so the updates become very slowly

7fwNqC6.png

xAoYEpk.png
  • aaronmwolford
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    Oh man these are some sick shield concepts! May jump into this once I finish up my current project.
  • happybell
    small update here.. i think i'm done with high poly. it took longer than expected as i misinterpreted the positioning of the skull so I had to readjust and resculpt some parts... lesson learnt :\

as usual, crits are welcomed!
    PAzV0kh.jpg?1
  • DarthTrae
    @Billitor there should be more wear and tear on the shield.

Heres the maya version of my shield. I wanted to get critiques before I sculpt in zbrush.

[IMG][/img]CYEZOQg.jpg
    [IMG][/img]qRXZDec.jpg
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that thing on the back there supposed to be the grip? If so, that's way too small.
  • DarthTrae
    @f1r3w4rr10r as in, it should be widened?
  • billymcguffin
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    There should be an indent in the back of the shield behind the metal protrusion in the front. This leaves more room to grip the handle.

Like these images:
    viking-shield-back.jpg
    shield3.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Offline / Send Message
    tehrobster2 polycounter lvl 11
    Happy Bell I am really digging the horns on your Shield.

Hey guys here is the high poly of my shield , I am about to take it into Zbrush for the sculpted details, I would love to hear what you guys think!

p5z5psW.jpg
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    After zbrush drove me nuts I returned to a hand painted style for the shield.
    The idea was to create a Aldori Legacy Defender 2.0 (link)

screen02_by_dethling-d8hpkay.png
    (2048 Diffuse only, rendered in 3Do)

Next will be the gems and make it a little more "metal" as well as the other textures.
    (If some one has a nice texture for hand painted gems, feel free to post it^^).

I also thinking about using a PBR texturing process here (Gloss & Metal Texture), just to see how it looks :)

For the high poly I just take a look at Mudbox, maybe it's more suiteable for me then zbrush (comin from 3D Max^^).
  • Jarran
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarran polycounter lvl 11
    @GhostDetector lookin good man but for some reason your metal isn't really coming across as metal. I think it's because of how smooth the edges are. I may be wrong though you might be able to sort this with your texture :)

UP9xs2j.jpg
    Quick 45 mins on this to finally get something started. Getting the basic shape right first,neglecting unwraps for now. Unsure how the handles would work on a hide shield so I'll have to look into that
  • Maher
    Offline / Send Message
    Maher polycounter lvl 5
    @happybell nice sculpt man !!
    new update:

ExbCA0U.png
  • BasicallyNormal
    Offline / Send Message
    BasicallyNormal polycounter lvl 7
    happybell wrote: »
    small update here.. i think i'm done with high poly. it took longer than expected as i misinterpreted the positioning of the skull so I had to readjust and resculpt some parts... lesson learnt :\

as usual, crits are welcomed!
    PAzV0kh.jpg?1

The skull came out awesome, the only thing I can see is that the wood looks a little lumpy. I think you could make some sharper and more defined grooves in the planks.
  • pangaea
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    I'm moving onto texturing and I have no clue what to do and I'm bad at painting and drawing. So this is probably not going to get finish, but I'm going to practice texturing.
  • SpaceRogue
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceRogue polycounter lvl 3
    holymoly you guys are rocking it high =D

Realy nice work Pangeae, good luck with the textures !

Happybell thats looks awesomeeeeee, but I think you left your symmetry on with the wood cracks heh.
  • Tainted Koala
    First Post on the forums =)

Making one of the shields. Progress so far.
    MiaZYkjMiaZYkjMiaZYkj.png
    MiaZYkj
  • Merlynn
    Offline / Send Message
    Merlynn polycounter lvl 8
    Finally managed to get the model into Zbrush. Spend quite some time creasing edges...

yjv4OAXI
  • KustomZero
    Offline / Send Message
    KustomZero polycounter lvl 6
    So not my first entry in this challenge but this time I'll finish it. Here is the High Poly

DzHhUZ9.jpg

2ss8Pyp.jpg

Does anyone here has a good tutorial on how to do Low Poly Modelling in zBrush? I feel I'm kinda to dumb for it.
  • Artush
    Offline / Send Message
    Artush polycounter lvl 7
    KustomZero> Cool that wood is awesome ! :O

so i wont be able to finish village (strating to have no more time:poly127:)

i tried today make simple shield without handles... soo many errors heh but i tried baking little more .. :)

shield___game___polycountnoobchallange_by_artush-d8i54wu.png

i will try at least finish some of those shields :)

GL HF
  • blamblam
    @artbrush looking really good with the hand painted textures. Is there any specular?
    @frostbyte nice clean looking model!
  • blamblam
    2Mrw98a.jpg
    buZovP6.jpg
    iQJN41o.jpg

I think I have oversculpted it, gonna do the low poly version. Any thoughts are appreciated
  • billitor
    Offline / Send Message
    billitor polycounter lvl 5
    hello guys, this is my final progress

egor-vanukov-1f5otdh9txk.jpg?1424050415

egor-vanukov-crwzdbkmjea.jpg?1424050422

egor-vanukov-opknjumyqo4.jpg?1424050436

egor-vanukov-screen08.jpg?1424050475

egor-vanukov-screen02.jpg?1424050467

egor-vanukov-screen09.jpg?1424050477
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    @billitor: I really like the front, but the back side of the metal rim looks really bland. you might want to add some more detail in there.
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on the texture a little further.
    Still have problems with my normal bake (seems something with the cage is off, have to figure out what exactly...)

Progress so far:
    screen05_by_dethling-d8i8dip.png

So far I used 2048 textures (Albedo, Metal, Opacity, Base-Normal, AO & Spec/Gloss

I also have to redo the panel line highlight & the cuts (both look totally bad)
    Comments, Critics and Feedback welcome
  • fullchaos13
    Offline / Send Message
    fullchaos13 polycounter lvl 6
    VBZkQy1.jpg
    fvwk4Z9.jpg

High Poly Sculpt render. Probably going to call this one done.
  • DarthTrae
    @Ozzmosis your metals should have more surface detail. That way they wont look flat.

Here's the sculpts. critiques would be nice before I start texturing

[IMG][/img]fAN1vb3.jpg
    [IMG][/img]U1ydgTY.jpg
  • KustomZero
    Offline / Send Message
    KustomZero polycounter lvl 6
    Woop Woop finsihed, so now to my very last student exams.

bNF3pH4.jpg

ZbZOxsm.jpg

VC2dFLg.jpg
  • JamesArk
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    Probably calling this done, was fun. Not super happy with the wood gloss or the leather in general, and I can't tell if the texture in general is too busy or if I've just been staring at it for too long. The metal could probably use some colour variation as well. Regardless, PBR practice is always a good time.

m0jnHle.jpg
  • fullchaos13
  • blamblam
    @JamesArk, i like your material definition. Metal is looking good but I think the wood gloss could use more breakup.
  • krztyczekpstryczek
    Offline / Send Message
    krztyczekpstryczek polycounter lvl 4
    @fullchaos13 nice start:) Keep arting

@billitor Only thing it's bother me is the lens flare in your presentation. It's like combining sci-fi with medival style. But it's maybe my personal taste:) Besides that shield itself is very nice executed.

@JamesArk your shield is really neat. One thing I noticed is that your black cavities don't match with normal map. I know you've sculpted first and then add texture on it. My suggestion is converting albedo to normal using nDo or Crazybump and combine new tiny cavities with your sculpted normals. Also you could add more variation to rougness map or gloss map (whatever you're using) of wood to give it more scratched look.
  • Port-Seven
    Offline / Send Message
    Port-Seven polycounter lvl 7
    I thought it was finally time to upload my work in progress on the shield! I'm having fun with this prop challenge. Since the model itself is relatively simple I'm going to be focusing on my texturing, so I've tried to get a variety of materials in to my model. I'm following the concept loosely and adding references that I've gathered from other viking shields.

My idea is that this shield belongs to a clan leader or someone in a very high position, so it's more embellished than a standard viking shield would be, and will also not be so terribly bashed up as its wielder would first send front line warriors to fight before joining the battle himself (which I also realise is not necessarily the viking mentality but oh well :p). The triangular piece on the back is a leather sheath for a small dagger in case it doesn't read so well.

shield_wip_zpsqxhp0mnz.jpg

shield_wip_notes_zpsikecajdr.jpg

I will be taking this into ZBrush as the next step, but before I do that I'm trying to work out a last detail of the design. I tried to build the shield thinking how it would really be put together, how pieces would fit into each other, where it would be bolted, etc. so I'm not sure how the metal bits on the edge would be best held in place. Anyone have any thoughts? Also I'm wondering if I should put a wooden bar across the back to further stabilize the wooden shield or if it would come across as too busy design-wise.
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    These are some nice looking shields! Keep it up! I might have to hop in if I can find the time.
  • Busterizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Busterizer polycounter lvl 5
    Here's mine, had some problems baking normal map, and in the end it turned out without much detail in it anyway (as i suspected), at least I found out how to do bakes more quickly. Too bad I can't find the time to do another of these shields due to my other projects.

[sketchfab]c97d367dcb7447189206b799ff7608e3[/sketchfab]
    Shield by Nebojsa Radunovic on Sketchfab
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    @Busterizer: I like how much detail you were able to bring out with just the geometry, but a little more surface detail with a normal map couldn't hurt, especially on the wood. Another thing that is a bit irritating to me is the amount of texture space wasted on the front side. You could have just split the wood part up under the metal and save some space there.
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    After some "zbrush-beginner-panic-attacs" I went back and decided to do the shield material by material in zbrusch, render the normal an AO in Xnormal and then add them together in Photoshop. Small steps.. step by step :)

Today I did the golden rings:
    gold_ring_by_dethling-d8ioc8h.jpg
    Zbrush Render

screen01_by_dethling-d8iobmm.png
    3DO Render (non PBR)
  • SpaceRogue
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys are amazing, all of you o-o

Imma be the biggest noob in this pond, I hope I can finish some of the tutorials on 3Dmotive since those go further than modeling.

wip1_by_spacerogue-d8ipi6b.png
  • DarthTrae
    @SpaceRogue First I want to say good job on the wear and tear. I like it :) the wood on your shield does not look like planks. They look like you took a knife and sliced into playdough. Try creating each individual wood plank and then if you want to lower the polycount, bake them onto a lower poly mesh afterward.
  • Maher
    Offline / Send Message
    Maher polycounter lvl 5
    wow! you guys are doing very well
    I almost finished my work :)
    what are you guys thinking?

N0zAKZe.png
  • SpaceRogue
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthTrae wrote: »
    @SpaceRogue First I want to say good job on the wear and tear. I like it :) the wood on your shield does not look like planks. They look like you took a knife and sliced into playdough. Try creating each individual wood plank and then if you want to lower the polycount, bake them onto a lower poly mesh afterward.

Yeah I'm gonna redo them today and doing them individual is a grreat idea, thanks for pointing it out ! Back to work C:
  • BanoffeePie
    Offline / Send Message
    BanoffeePie polycounter lvl 3
    Hey All!

Always been an avid reader of this forum and finally took the dive to get involved and here is my WIP. The back needs the most work as can be seen.

8b5161_e9ea33686b114efc9f0f867943ea6682.jpg_srz_p_632_376_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Thanks!
  • SpaceRogue
    Offline / Send Message
    @BanoffeePie howdy ! Great to see you joining and good work , I would render it on a different background tho, the inner metals are nearly the same grey as the background.

---
    Herpderp been so distracted today, update;

wip2_by_spacerogue-d8ixxk9.png
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    @SpaceRogue: Really nice work but I think the "dents" on the middle buckkle are a little bit to heavy and the wood need more sharpnes.
    @BanoffPie: Good start, whats the vert count on it?

Today I finished my shield, not totally happy with it but for my first zbrush sculpt I think it's not that bad.

presentation_by_dethling-d8j2b8f.jpg
  • loggie24
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
    Here is a WIP render of my shield. First time i try to sculpt this type of asset... I had some topology problems in the back so it doesn't look that good.

Crit the fudge out of them please.

shield_renderfront_zps3369524b.jpg

shield_renderfront4_zps3b7fc534.jpg