Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D artist portfolio: Crits please!

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Olli. polycounter lvl 8
Alright so i just put the finishing touches on my portfolio. This is the first time ive ever made a website so i'd love to hear if something is missing/wrong/odd so i can fix it up asap.

TriangulateMesh.com

Crit as much as possible!

also, to see different angles click on the little teapots. not sure if thats obvious or not.. The teapots are semi-placeholder, im a little on the fence about whether or not i should have unique thumbnails for each angle to make it more clear how it works.

Also theres 2 reasons why theres only 3 pieces in the portfolio, first of all ive been in a rush to get the website up and running so i just wanted to get it online with some pictures so i can easily add more later. The second reason is im not sure how many there should be :P im trying to keep it simple and not too cluttered, and i deemed those 3 good enough to be put on display.

Replies

• maximumsproductions
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    One thing I think you really should change is the font on the properties, that black is just hard to see. Also I didn't understand the teapots at first glance, however, second glance it was kind of dumb of me not too. I don't know if that's something you want to note or not but I like the idea .
  • Brownstone
    My only complaint is that I didn't immediately understand that there was even a function for the teapots at the bottom of each piece. I don't think there are going to be a lot of people that will stick around long enough to figure that out. That's only me, but you may have an issue if you have employers flashing through millions of portfolio sites a day. Keep it as simple and straightforward as possible. I know that you may have spent some time incorporating it.
  • Olli.
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    alright i think im going to switch the teapots with more specific thumbnails to hopefully make it easier to understand the functionality.
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    same comments from me, the black font is very hard to read, and the tea pots i didn't click on them until I came back here and saw they might have a function. work looks good though
  • Notes
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Teapots should definitely be changed to smaller thumbnails of the Beretta...also clicking on the third teapots shows the other side of the Beretta with the logo backwards...im not sure if the grip is all one piece or not but maybe don't show the other side or mirror just the grip uv if you can.
  • Olli.
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    Notes wrote: »
    Teapots should definitely be changed to smaller thumbnails of the Beretta...also clicking on the third teapots shows the other side of the Beretta with the logo backwards...im not sure if the grip is all one piece or not but maybe don't show the other side or mirror just the grip uv if you can.

the plastic plates on the grip are indeed mirrored. I did this to save UV space and since its a first person weapon, theres going to be a palm covering that bit all the time.

ill get cracking on those thumbnails asap, thanks for the crits guys
  • hadidjah
    Offline / Send Message
    hadidjah polycounter lvl 8
    The major fixes have already been pointed out here, but I think the whole site could use a boost in contrast. The black text everyone else has mentioned is the glaring example, but most uses of dark grey on dark grey and light grey on light grey are really hard to read. This is especially noteworthy on your navigation and model specs, since those and your contact info are the information you want people to know instantly.

As for the models themselves, aside from the backfacing plate the only thing that really stood out to me is that although there's obviously silhouette change and triangles going into the palm trunk, it isn't shown in your wire frame. It's a minor thing, but my first reaction when I clicked the wireframe view and didn't see it was "Oh man, that must be absurdly high-poly and he's trying to hide it." I thin just offsetting the current wireframe model and adding a slice of the trunk alongside it would be a good idea, just so no one has to wonder.

Those assets are all pretty sexy though, and I really like your shot compositions. Good job and good luck!:)
  • Olli.
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    hmm the palm uses hardware tesselation with a heightmap and the first render is done in CryEngine 3.. the wireframe however is done in 3ds max... The only way i can get a wireframe of the actual tesselated mesh would be to snap it in CE3 (which doesnt even have backface culling in wireframe mode) and even so it would just be a black blur of wires since the hardware tesselation really is quite intensive and takes the polycount up to hundreds of thousands at close range.

I think i might take another shot of it in CE3 without the tesselation and then put them both up properly labelled to hopefully make it more clear :)
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    I like your models, they lack a little wear and tear tho, would make a good amount of improvement, atleast for the Assault rifle, the pistol looks pretty authentic like that.

Try to stay consistent with your fonts, also place your info on the top right of your images, on bottom like they are now just make your page look cluttered with the other text. Try to find a good way to display your text based info. Especially on your contact page. Leave more space.

Also: the click image for full size got noticed after i checked your page the 4th time.
  • the_Adri
    It's a really nice site layout. My only problem is the font is hard to read. Also, I don't understand the whole point of he teapots.
  • Olli.
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    alright ive uploaded a lot of changes now. The teapots are gone and replaced with just thumbnails of the different renders. Ive also adjusted pretty much all colors to hopefully make it easier to read.
  • Notes
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    I think your content/layout if great already...simple and to the point...
    the contrast is what's missing....
    uQi2C0D.jpg
    Hope this helps a bit...you don't neccessary have to use these colors, but the border color around your pictures were too close to the hue/saturation of your background..I just went with a slightly saturated orange to contrast with your blue background.
    Also made the font brighter along with making the 'glow' under the portfolio brighter as well...