Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• lean
    Offline / Send Message
    lean polycounter lvl 5
    nice head, delko! i think i like the one with no AA better. not sure though. :P
  • shrogg
    Offline / Send Message
    shrogg polycounter lvl 12
    Decided to have a shot at modeling trees today (First time)
    10 minutes modeling, 30 minutes making textures (Made the leaves(Pineneedles?)) by hand based off some images i found floating around..

Also, yes.. Physical sun and sky.. >_>

Each tree is 300 tris.
    TgfnU.jpg
  • Weirdboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Weirdboy polycounter lvl 5
    Still WIP. Need to redo the ejection port.

7A3Iw.jpg

3f2mC.jpg

HwOOW.jpg

I created a thread on Technical discussion about this a few months back that wasn't much help, maybe someone here can help me? D the pixels on this texture look blurry in the viewport to anyone else? I I'm using the match bitmap as closely as possible option. Is there a way to sharpen that up in my Max viewport?(May need to enlarge image)

zn0n4.jpg
  • Delko
    Offline / Send Message
    Delko polycounter lvl 15
    thanks lean, I prefer the no AA version too. Heres an update
    heroguy.png
  • Dweep
    Hi! My first post on polycount:

Made a lowpoly airship today. It's my second 3D model that I make, first lowpoly. Still WIP and no texture yet but I want to know what others think! :)

pic.twitter.com/vswl1X4S

vswl1X4S
  • Free_Fall
    Offline / Send Message
    Free_Fall polycounter lvl 8
    Started the texture of my cute Citroen'ish car

CWf3F.png

It's off at some places, but for the use it will have it won't matter :3
  • tucho
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    really nice start Free_Fall, congrats! :)

Is the scene unlit? I mean that the shadows that we see are an ambient occlusion baked in the texture, isn't it?

Could we see the texture map?

Keep up the good work!
  • Free_Fall
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho wrote: »
    really nice start Free_Fall, congrats! :)

Is the scene unlit? I mean that the shadows that we see are an ambient occlusion baked in the texture, isn't it?

Could we see the texture map?

Keep up the good work!

Yup, it's all bake in there, I've set the material to 80% unlit, just to keep little bit of shading on the model. I'm not feeling like posting the texture yet, since it's still a half assed mess :p But when it's done I'll post it!
  • melihucar
    Offline / Send Message
    melihucar polycounter lvl 5
    Low Poly Janitor I made for a game, x512 texture, little on the big side.

janitor_final.png
    janitor_final2.png

i really liked your style dude. :thumbup:
  • CactusFantastico
    Offline / Send Message
    CactusFantastico polycounter lvl 12
  • Free_Fall
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some more, now with the texture tucho :D

iX8VBVyl9JMi0.png
  • tucho
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks free fall, it looks great :-), are these models for any project or are you making them just for fun/practice?
  • Teapose
    Offline / Send Message
    Teapose polycounter lvl 3
    I've been working on this little smithy-shop thing after a concept I made a while back.. the textures are very much WIP, trying to get some kind of feel for what colors I should use :/

iinOW.png
  • Kishotta
    My first attempt at modeling a character:
    MbutT.png?1
    I'm a complete noob so any crits are warmly welcome. I do already know that there are a ton of wasted polys in the torso but I'm not yet sure how to fix that. Definitely a WIP.
  • PedroTF
    Free_Fall, that's amazing.
  • MrRik
    Offline / Send Message
    MrRik polycounter lvl 7
    Kishotta wrote: »
    My first attempt at modeling a character:
    MbutT.png?1
    I'm a complete noob so any crits are warmly welcome. I do already know that there are a ton of wasted polys in the torso but I'm not yet sure how to fix that. Definitely a WIP.

Try to start on someting easier before making characters. There are alot of tutorials online that can help you.
  • Fwap
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    @Pedro, is it meant to be the Grinch?
  • Ikuru
    Hey u guys, did a selfie for a thing I´m teaching in school.

presentationa.jpg

Posting my concept too.
    Hope u dig. ;)
  • DanTsukasa
    Offline / Send Message
    DanTsukasa polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, I've been browsing here for far too long, some truly amazing work here.
    I've always modelled current console Gen stuff but I decided to try and model a Final Fantasy 3 style scene for the 3DS and a PS1 ff9 quality enemy.

The camera would be static, I know I can remove unseen polygons from the crates etc, I'm just waiting until I've picked a final Camera angle (which will be after texturing), though I'd show it here and see if anyone can give some tips.

UV's are mostly overlaying and a lot of repeating textures, especially the walls which are done 4 quads at a time, I'm having little more trouble with the floor for UV's, any suggestions (currently rows of 5's).

Texture will be 256x256, current polygon count is 585 Triangles with nothing new to add. The tv shaped things are to be candlesticks with a floating plane in front for fake lighting in the surrounding area, the long planes on the wall are to be either pictures of swords on the wall.

polycount2.jpg
    Polycount_1.jpg
    UV's
    polycount3.jpg

Ghost:
    Texture is 128x128
    ghost_2.jpg
    ghost_1.jpg

Shader only, please ignore the 2 smoothed versions.
    Ghost_Wirefames.jpg

Any C&C on this would be much appreciated, its not too late to touch either of them up at all. A ref for the enemy. I'm still aiming to have sort of an eyebrow muscle just between the eyes, and move of a bump below the eyes, to make it look a little less flat.

Ghost_friendly-FFIX.PNG

(sorry if the post is a little image heavy, I can fix it up if need be).
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Let's try embedding with p3d

boss05 (View in 3D)
    EjBfP
  • DanTsukasa
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats really nice, does the model just have no polygons at the bottom or inside of the exhaust or is that due to backface culling in the viewer?

I personally feel that the model looks better without shading in this viewer, though this might just be something about the viewer.

Whats the texture size?
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Texture is a 256. There will be no shading in the game, and the link should go to the vertex lit fullbright version, but p3d makes the thumbs with lighting.

The game is all from top down with slight perspective, so the missing triangles are those never seen.
  • allaze-eroler
    Offline / Send Message
    allaze-eroler polycounter lvl 11
    Delko wrote: »
    thanks lean, I prefer the no AA version too. Heres an update
    heroguy.png

this remind me of flashback or another world game art style :D
  • JGcount
    Even though she technically falls short of 10tris, I still think she belongs in this thread.

A little art test for our new game. 1009 tries, 256tex:

beverly_turn.png
  • cupsster
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
  • Delko
    Offline / Send Message
    Delko polycounter lvl 15
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    free fall thats a nice little van! depending on how your project is working you might want to paint in a bit of specular highlight around prominent areas.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Great work poop, it looks sweet in 3d.

JGcount that's wonderful. Please share wires and texture sheets

Love the viking dude Delko, particularly all pixellated.
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Delko - he feels a little stiff, wooden. Also somewhat uninspired and bland. The head has tons of style and charisma, sure, but the body is lacking.

DanTsukasa - are they for the same project? The balance between environment and enemy in terms of polycount are way off. Also, you don't need to have all that many tiles on the floor, probably. You're better off using some triangles from them to spice up the environment.

Ikuru - The mesh is mostly okay, though the hands are kind of wedge-y. Bu the texture could use quite some work. You have 3 quite different texture styles in there, and they don't quite jive. Well done with using straight pixel lines to avoid AA issues, though.

Kishotta - what exactly is it? Reference would be useful. I would also suggest starting with something simpler. A character is fine, but try to focus more on volumes than on tiny details. One of the most important things with modeling is deciding where to spend triangles and where not. One way to practice this intensively is to push for ever-lower polycounts, because then you really have to divide the budget wisely. (p.s. - a human under 150 triangles is totally possible, just to give an example)

For example, you have far too many around the pectoral area, but the head is very very pointy/blocky. Unless you're making Pyramidhead, this is something you want to avoid. By comparison, Ikuru's selfportrait has something of about 125 triangles in the head (25% of budget) and that's well worth it because the face is quite detailed.

Teapose - I think the wire-hanger-thingy, the crates and the green carpet are quite wasteful. You could drop quite a few polies from there. Conversely, the bucket is screaming for more sides, and the furnace might want a few extra, too. Also, those intersected sunflowers don't really work.
  • Mr_Drayton
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
    @JGcount - She's lovely! I particularly like the face. :)

@Delko - Cool viking! I really dig the overall style. I don't find it so uninspired. It's simple and minimalist, reminds me of Ghost Trick, or some kind of modern advertising style (which I really like).
  • achillesian
    Love it Delko

I made a crappy shield. VIEW IT IN 3d!

http://p3d.in/LcgQd
  • DanTsukasa
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »
    DanTsukasa - are they for the same project? The balance between environment and enemy in terms of polycount are way off. Also, you don't need to have all that many tiles on the floor, probably. You're better off using some triangles from them to spice up the environment.

Ah no, they're from 2 very unrelated things.
    The ghost is an attempt at making an enemy that would fit comfortably in the FF9 PS1 battle system (its actually roughly 100 polygons lower than the average enemy for the game).

The environment is just something for a Nintendo DS environment. I figured I could quite easily change the polycount on the floor tiles if I simply unattached it from the walls and make it just maybe 4 tiles in total. Any particular advice on setting up the floor to keep a nice polycount? I don't plan on using a different texture for the floor though, just keeping it on the same sheet and tiling nicely.

I made a crappy shield. VIEW IT IN 3d!

I think you could remove the dent on all the edges, it sort of goes inwards like a v shape and I imagine if this were in a game the camera to be a little further away, so the detail wouldn't be noticable at all. You've got a normal map on it so I'd say if you really want to keep that dent, do it via a normal map and save the Tri's possibly. Any chance you could show the UVS for this at all?
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    A little lunch time assignment ive worked on the last few days,wanted to make something simple and fun so i made one of my favorite things, a World War 2 fighter. Im thinking about making more like a 109 and a Spitfire.

8272567834_18b2bb9e9c_b.jpg
  • MrRik
    Offline / Send Message
    MrRik polycounter lvl 7
  • Experience
    Offline / Send Message
    Experience polycounter lvl 4
    I dont really know if it belongs in this thread but ill post it anyway :) I made this in my school on my spare time mosttly to se and learn how far you can get with just normal maps wich I created in nDo2. It checks in at 452 tris and uses a couple of 2048x2048 textures :)

spacestationm.jpg
  • Teapose
    Offline / Send Message
    Teapose polycounter lvl 3
    Snader wrote: »
    Teapose - I think the wire-hanger-thingy, the crates and the green carpet are quite wasteful. You could drop quite a few polies from there. Conversely, the bucket is screaming for more sides, and the furnace might want a few extra, too. Also, those intersected sunflowers don't really work.

Thank you for the feedback! I'll definetly look into all you mentioned, and I agree, the sunflowers are a bit off :-3
  • CactusFantastico
    Offline / Send Message
    CactusFantastico polycounter lvl 12
    Woo view in 3D bandwagon!

Janitor (View in 3D)
    wGfGa

@Experience: Looking very nice, normal maps look good :P Is it in Unity? One thing I would say is you could prob change it to a couple of 1024x's with the same quality but it is all just for fun so meh haha
  • Blaisoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    i made a low poly sword recently, i'm texturing it right now:

hp_sword1_r1.png

hp_sword1_r2a.png

polygon distribution isn't the best but oh well.

any feedback is welcomed :)
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Looks awesome.
  • achillesian
    DanTsukasa wrote: »
    I think you could remove the dent on all the edges, it sort of goes inwards like a v shape and I imagine if this were in a game the camera to be a little further away, so the detail wouldn't be noticable at all. You've got a normal map on it so I'd say if you really want to keep that dent, do it via a normal map and save the Tri's possibly. Any chance you could show the UVS for this at all?

attached em'

i realize its pretty crappy, just made it in about 50 minuets for submission to a item store similar to TF2's
  • DanTsukasa
    Offline / Send Message
    attached em'
    i realize its pretty crappy, just made it in about 50 minuets for submission to a item store similar to TF2's

I think you could do a lot of mirroring in that texture, or at very least mirror the back and use a smaller texture size, seems you've a lot of wasted texture space on that map.

If you wanted to mirror the entire thing I'd say use a separate plane with an alpha for those unique details on the right hand side (the dripping blue etc).

I like the design, perhaps try to give it a little wear and tear outside of simply the, what I assume to be blood, a few scratches in the diffuse should work that quite nicely I think.
  • Experience
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there! Just got done with this weeks school assignment :) Here is the result!

presentationw.jpg
  • shaka
    Offline / Send Message
    shaka polycounter lvl 7
    Here's a train i did as a prop from the mobile game i'm working on(alone atm). It's not quite completely finished with the texturing.

It's a racing game, but i'll try to put as much love as possible in the environment as well.

test_train_low_poly_model_01.jpg
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    I really dig your train Shaka!
  • felipefrango
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Cool, some interesting design elements there.
  • Free_Fall
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some small tweaks :p

ibsN3Mn4BdgOcu.png
  • Racer445
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
  • minorthreat
    Offline / Send Message
    minorthreat polycounter lvl 7
    Experience wrote: »
    Hey there! Just got done with this weeks school assignment :) Here is the result!

presentationw.jpg

This is going in my inspiration folder.

Here's a low poly ear I made, my first attempt. I learned alot about anatomy, edge flow, and most of all texturing:
    ear4.pngear1.pngear3.pngear2.png
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
  • Experience
    Offline / Send Message
    This is going in my inspiration folder.

Im glad to hear that! :)

Cool ear! ^^