Workshop Animator Extraordinaire

WORKSHOP LINK
STEAM PROFILE
YOUTUBE
TWITCH

DOTA 2 RIGS

ACCEPTED ITEMS

YWEPser.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QpbCbXDfWM"]Dota 2 Courier - Cluckles the Brave - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxKgEmv70Z8"]Dota 2 Na'Vi's Weaselcrow Courier - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ5VfwCn4LM"]Dota 2 Courier - Tinkbot - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Here are some of my more recent previous works. On each of these projects I was tasked with rigging and animating these couriers. I worked with a bunch of great people on these three and I hope to be working with them again in the very near future. :thumbup:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoSuAaPL6rY"]Mandel Farflung, Keenfolk Warden[/ame]

"We decided to create a companion, a creature that would assist you in your battles. Even though we have decided on this very ambitious project, we made sure that the creature captures the gameplay essence of a ward. Using the iconic eyeball in his telescopes, while matching the color scheme of the two wards we present something that looks very unique, but also can be recognized as a ward at a quick glance. It was very important to hit these marks while creating this ward. Our decision to use a Keen as a basis fits that role by providing a species that relies on technology that also has a very over exaggerated personally as seen by Rizzrack and Razzil."

Rigged & Animated by Helenek
    Modeled and Textured by AndyK
    Concept by Bacon & Capt. Chalky

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pskGcEuIz6Q"]Rizdel, The Half-Keen Courier :: Animation Preview - YouTube[/ame]

Rizdel the half-keen is the result of a mad wizards attempt to cross ogre and the small keen together in order to make more suitable servants for the last King of Solm. Where and how he escaped the confines of the mad wizard remains a mystery, even to him. He now resides in a dangerous occupation, in service to the keeper of the secret shop, delivering his goods to their new owners.

Modeled & Textured by Foe and Theo
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    nice thread sir! already subscribed =]
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    Ward_V2.jpg
    concept by Foe

This is a new ward concept that we are working on, we plan to go a little ambitious with the idea and create a unique style for the radiant and dire sides. Each side would have a unique model, texture, and even animations. We are handling it the same way a courier would get unique versions for each teams. Hopefully valve allows something like this. If not, we could always fall back on one of the versions.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq10KK84yC8"]Augury's Guardian :: Animation Preview - YouTube[/ame]

"From deep within the mystic woods in the Veil of Augury the mighty Treant's sent this guardian to aid fellow allies in battle." This is an entry for the DOTA 2 workshop, it is a custom replacement ward used to give sight in areas not previously visible to the player. He isn't uploaded just yet but will be very shortly.

Modeled & Textured by AndyK
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Ward_V2.jpg
    concept by Foe

This is a new ward concept that we are working on, we plan to go a little ambitious with the idea and create a unique style for the radiant and dire sides. Each side would have a unique model, texture, and even animations. We are handling it the same way a courier would get unique versions for each teams. Hopefully valve allows something like this. If not, we could always fall back on one of the versions.

couple time ago i had a similar idea but never continued, i want to see this one finished =]
  • AndrewHelenek
  • bewsii
    Offline / Send Message
    bewsii polycounter lvl 9
  • AndrewHelenek
  • Madzia
    Offline / Send Message
    Madzia polycounter lvl 8
    @AndrewHelenek amazing that's exactly what I was wishing for. Caterpillar/butterfly courier (tin foil hat GOGOGO!) xD I love it! Can't wait for butterfly model! fingers crossed for you!
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Happy Birthday Helenek!
  • Hunter-Killer
    Offline / Send Message
    Hunter-Killer polycounter lvl 4
    Lovin' the caterpillar, very fitting!
    Updated the texture and such for the Tinker Bot for those interested.
    Oh, and happy birthday Helenek!

tbc_latest.jpg
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    Madzia wrote: »
    @AndrewHelenek amazing that's exactly what I was wishing for. Caterpillar/butterfly courier (tin foil hat GOGOGO!) xD I love it! Can't wait for butterfly model! fingers crossed for you!

There is more involved with the caterpiller/butterfly courier, but I'm leaving it a secret until we are completed with it. Lets just say nothing on the workshop has done what this courier will be doing. Very excited about it.

And Thank You for the birthday wishes!
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Happy Brithsday man, better late then never! :)

Also great work on the catapilar and Tinker bot courier! Looking awesome, can't wait to see everything finished!
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Did you guys finished yours caterpillar, or this one uploaded to workshop is someone elses? http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=140829155&searchtext=
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras wrote: »
    Did you guys finished yours caterpillar, or this one uploaded to workshop is someone elses? http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=140829155&searchtext=

No, Plant worked on a different one, and to my knowledge it was going to be LGD's official courier, but politics or whatever got in the way. Sadly I might as well share the idea of what was planned with our butterfly. We were going to create two unique couriers for the radiant and dire, the radiant would feature the catapillar seen above and it would transform into a butterfly, and the dire side would be a evil looking catapillar that transforms into a moth.

Sadly, I don't know where ours stands now that there is already a butterfly courier in the game, I highly doubt Valve would add two of them. :(
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Awww bummer :( Always sucks to have hard work go unrewarded :/
  • AndrewHelenek
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    [vv]69207511[/vv]

Tinky has been completed, just making some small final adjustments and we'll be uploading him very soon. Like tomorrow, hopefully, soon!
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    I need to update this more! I went back, polished up the aniamtion for the crab ward I worked on a few months back and gave it a proper animation preview video.
    [vv]70308928[/vv]

I also worked with MechBgum on another living ward idea, Ocula the Observer! This character was so much fun to animation, the creepy little one eye'd monster! Haha!
    [vv]70542103[/vv]

I also helped out Pixelshoo reanimate the ancient apperation ward he created back in feburary. Animating magical floating shards was interesting to say the least.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjAZdCwgrZg"]DOTA 2 Workshop :: Ancient Formation :: Animation Preview - YouTube[/ame]

I'm also working on a new courier with a friend of mine, we're not sure of a name or anything yet, but it's a dinosaur and I think it looks really cute! There are also always going to be two creatures for both the ground and flying version. For the ground version the little birdie dino will be riding on his back, as well has having a rare animation where he flys right above him. As well as some interactive aniamtion between the two characters.

1002842_10151713249480053_640720178_n.jpg

I also started to stream while I work, because streaming is cool. If you're interested you can follow my stream at this link
  • kendmd
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    Hey Andrew! Love that AA ward :D
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    More updates! We finally finished Carty the Courier for DOTACinema, it was great working along side of Bounch and Danidem. We gave Carty a unique version for both the radiant and dire versions, and even some unique animations as well. I also did the animations for a ward Plant created based on Visage. It was such an awesome ward to work on!
    [vv]75277756[/vv]

[vv]73029666[/vv]

I also started rigging up all of the characters for DOTA 2. It's going to be a very long process and I do plan on making a tutorial of what my process at some point. You can use these to rig you're items, pose your character for presentation shots, do custom animation for item sets or single items, or make taunts. There are plenty of uses and I hope they can simplify the workshop pipeline. You can download any of those rigs in my other thread; HERE.
    QSD041K.jpg
  • Oroboros
    Thank you so much for the rig service man...This is going to be such a huge benefit in the long run to the animation aspect of D2.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    268x268.resizedimage268x268.resizedimage

[vv]73029666[/vv]

The Visage ward I worked on with Plant is now uploaded on the workshop, this ward was so much fun to work on, probably the most fun! The death animation was my favorite though!

I also did some work on Plants Enchant ward as well, but due to life's random wonderful acts of stressful events, I was only able to complete the spawn and death animations. Here's a gifs!
    Y8EVvCv.gif

I'm working on some amazing projects right now, I can't wait to share them!
  • kendmd
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    Wow dude, that Visage ward's animation when the wing closes in on the eye is very awesome.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd wrote: »
    Wow dude, that Visage ward's animation when the wing closes in on the eye is very awesome.

I also forgot, the animations in the video are actually the shorter versions, the final animations for both the idles are upwards of ~35 seconds long. I need to get the updated animations in the video!
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    Very proud to finally put this up, but I have been working with Red Moon, or as part of Red Moon now, but yes, anyways, we finished up our first project together, quite a quick turn around. Nevertheless, Nexon's Sotdae Ward!

[ame]youtube.com/watch?v=WZWu8Z51n1g[/ame]
    9F698B52D33799854F658DEE33B853B4E4359F34
    Brilliant Illustration work done by Oroboros

B51CCC401CE9B636D31E9DC21F02E05CBE4CEC8B
    In-game Preview
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    And the second item from Nexon, Tusk's Glacial Shard!

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXvjpMPEVGo[/ame]

We plan to include three new animations that come with this weapon. The first being a replacement loadout animation that really showcases the new weapon.The second being another replacement animation for his "Ice Shards" ablity, since the weapon is called the Glacial Shard, it only made sense that Tusk should channel is power through it.The last being an animation that will be added to the current animation set for tusk, it will be a rare attack that only happens every so often. This was such a great item to work on and everyone that particpated really helped blow this item out of the water!
    loadout_anim.gif

iceShards_anim.gif

headbutt_anim.gif
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    i like the overall weapon and the animations but the nexon green doesnt fit at all imho. and i am not a big fan of branding.
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    I really like it! It's a cool idea and nice animations. And I love how the nexon colors is implemented. It's very subtle, and not overshadows the item. GJ^^
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Really love the item silhouette and the animations are fantastic! My only crit would be that the blade part feels a bit too thick. It almost makes it look more like a blunt weapon rather than a sharp edged axe.
  • bounchfx
    @MdK - I can answer that. Originally it was much thinner but we opted to scale it up ~2x to make it feel thicker as if it was a chunk of ice, instead of a perfectly sculpted axe from said ice. We liked the idea that it was a basher/slasher. :)
  • HntrLuc
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work guys! Weapon came out great and the animations are a very cool addition.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh my days! More videos!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYjsfFhji2M"]Nexon :: Courier Preview :: The Gama Brothers - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpMvJ-TE2jU"]Nexon :: Animation Timelapse :: The Gama Brothers - YouTube[/ame]

The Gama courier was one hell of a challenge, allocating 52 bones between two biped humanoids and makeing sure there is still enough left over to give minor facial animation and having the ribbons sway is no easy task. But we fought though, gave it our all, and created a courier we're really proud of.

Kinetic Gem: Roaring Doom

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6yG7Y5RBOk"]Roaring Doom :: Animation Timelapse - YouTube[/ame]
    C758BE1A7CA134ED6193B21E02228B4A6DE31A58

I wanted to try something new with this animation, and since the recent patch came with the newly kinetic gems, I figured, lets try and stir the workshop up and see if we can get workshop support started with these gems. The VOD for this is avalible HERE there is no voice overs yet, but if you follow along you could use this as a tutorial for getting animations working in game. I'm still working on cracking it, just have a few more issues to work out.

And there's still plenty things to come!
  • MagnoHusein
    Wow! Gamma Brothers animations are freaking awesome! Love it!
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! :)

bristle_putemup.gif

guardianHammer.gif

Some work in progress playblast of my next batch of animations!

I have a Kinetic Gem planned for Omniknight which has three new animations for each of his ablities, and an Bristleback animation is to be paired with a workshop item coming soon for No Shave Novemeber. There's also two couriers in the works, but I can't say much on those yet! ;)

Should be good fun! Can't wait to wrap these up.
  • Nannou
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    Helenek you are on fire :) really dig the animations and it would be cool to see some community animation gems. I have one crit though, that omni weapon looks like a plastic hammer filled with air. Give it some weight.
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah I agree with Nannou on this, if he just grabs it higher up like at the top of the band thing, it would totally add to it!
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou wrote: »
    Helenek you are on fire :) really dig the animations and it would be cool to see some community animation gems. I have one crit though, that omni weapon looks like a plastic hammer filled with air. Give it some weight.

Haha, Ouro was just telling me about that. I completly overlooked that but it's so obvious when someone points it out, oh how blind I've been! Haha. Nevertheless, thanks for the critiques. :)

Update, made the fix, it feels so much better now! :thumbup:
  • AndrewHelenek
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    warlusCourier_groundWIP.gif
    #sneakypeaky

Also made some updates to the omniknight kinetic gem Guardian Angel animation and started working on the purification ablity. I also plan on including a repel animation whenever I get to it, haha!

The ideas for these animations are to use Omniknights hammer as a main source of his energy. I've made sure these animations follow the same direction of movement and the key pose timing as the default animations. Here are the results thus far. These are also all working in game, I'll have gifs of those another time.

guardianHammer.gif
    purificationHammer.gif

I also started working on some Dazzle stuff, but seeing the recent changes I don't think these will be going anywhere. These are rough blockins anyway, oh well, hah! This was a proposed "Shadow Wave" animation.

dazzle_shadowWave_wip.gif
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD6njJxV2WU"][Unedited] Dota 2 Workshop Tutorial - In game animaton testing - YouTube[/ame]

Some tutorials and such explaining the animation importing process, these are unedited. I plan on editing them in the near future with much better explainations, this is mainly for the people who understand the backdoor process.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcL4_g_1FeI"]DOTA 2 :: Lion Ward - YouTube[/ame]

Finished up Cottonwings Lion Ward! Such a blast to animate!
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Haha, I love the dying animation. Great nod to Terminator :D

Top notch stuff there mate! Amazing animations as always.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderling_eyeball.gif

Collab with DotaFX, the spiderling is just way too awesome!
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhXnMtjUv9g"]Michael the Walrus - NEL Courier - YouTube[/ame]

We finsihed another courier, needless to say, it wasn't well recieved, oh well, at least animating the fat little guy was a blast!
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    mavFlying_death.gif
    mavFlying.gif
    mavDeath.gif
    mavIdle.gif.gif

Only have a few left, I don't have gifs for all the animations, mainly just these. I should wrap this guy up this weekend. Then spending the next two weeks in SFM. Oh boy!
  • 87roach
    Offline / Send Message
    87roach polycounter lvl 5
    These are soo great! Such a fun character too.

How are you so fast at pumping these out? Crazy.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo4w2rVM65c"][SFM] "The Three Virtues" - Spring 2014 (Dota 2) - YouTube[/ame]

This was my first attempt at using source film maker, and only having three weeks to learn and create it proved to be quite the challenge, but a fun one nevertheless! SFM is one hell of a powerful tool.

I also did some new remnant animations for Storm and Ember Spirit. The way their ablities is quite interesting to say the least. I'll get breakdowns of those sometime soon. Until then, all I have are the key pose rendered out for each of the poses.
    637x358.resizedimage
    637x358.resizedimage

Although, being honest, I want to rework some of the ember poses, I'm not quite happy with all of them yet. Cheers!
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO6Kaxat4PQ"][SFM] Mac Burrowington - Dota 2 Courier - YouTube[/ame]
    mavFlying.gif

mavIdle.gif

mavDeath.gif

mavFlying_death.gif
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c39ZzTSjD0E"]Virtuous Dragon Ward - YouTube[/ame]
    A small quick project, animated this guy in about a day, he was so much fun!

dragonWard.gif

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeWAv_atlDU"]Mystic Instruments Of Tang-Ki - YouTube[/ame]

I did the animations on the serpent ward in the background of the video. Sadly I don't seem to have any gifs of it, I need to find them!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugs28DP0H0I"]Teron The Squirrel General Courier - YouTube[/ame]
    teronHasteBoost.gif

teronHaste.gif

teronFlying_death.gif

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yetF0AXw9q4"]Omij, The Sentinel of Knowledge - YouTube[/ame]
    Did a colab with a long time friend Jimo who does all sorts of guides for steam, we put together a ward which was a blast. It also takes the cake as my most complex ward pushing the bone count to the limits. I feel this ward is the one I'm most proud of. We had lots of great easter eggs from the red moon logo on the book, to the Jimo written in arabic on the cover, to Jimos face photoshopped onto the shopkeepers face and stored in the big book. Overall this ward produced nothing both laughs through production!

jimoWards.gif

easterEgg.gif

*Bonus Gif*
    jimoeyes.gif

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlaxIa6nmq8"]Burning Spirit - YouTube[/ame]
    Put together a new kinetic gem for "Burning Spirit" Jugg mask.

gayaAttack_jugg.gif

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCihL5NUBG0"]Axe - Harbinger Of War Set - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq3yV_toaQ4"]Axe - Inner Fury Kinetic Gem Preview - YouTube[/ame]
    Also put together a new kinetic gem for the new Axe set done by Kraken. Gif is WIP. Ran some test on a pipeline from Maya into SFM, needless to say, even though there were a few bumps, I was successful in getting them working in SFM. I can't wait to put together more cinematic animation videos in the future. Did some cloth sim for the transition into the showcase, cloth sim was way more fun then I anticipated.

clothSim_axeRenderTest.gif

clothSim_axeRenderTest_cleanUP.gif

axeAxe.gif

axeChaos_loadout.gif
    Upcomming animation works that are finished and can show off! More info when these are released in a few days.

jaggedVision.gif

jaggedVision_idle.gif

jaggedVision_spawn.gif

WDFrog.gif

Just vomited all over the screen, I think that's all I got. For now! ;)