Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Dr.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dr.
    In what format? Its confusing. Really2 a newbie in 3d, my first finished work.
  • RDMD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RDMD polycounter lvl 10
    I am having problem importing a item into dota,I follow all steps and the item is compiled susscesfully but it appears out of position,look at screenshots

when importing the fbx from max it appears like some distance above,and when importing from xsi it appears smaller and whit diferent orientation like the second one,sometimes they dotn appear at all even though it was compiled

any help?

btw I dotn have the smd improter plugings because there is no plugins for 3dsmax 2013 yet,so I can import the obj into blender and create the fbx from there?problem is that i dont know how to use blender but I dont think it would be that hard
  • Josh21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

I have been working on many revisions to the Omniknight sword I posted about 2 weeks ago, and I feel I have finally come to a look I like. This is my first hand-painted texture and I think I am improving with each update. Unfortunately I don't have a tablet yet, so this has been done with my mouse. Also, I need to improve my rendering and presentation skills and if anyone could explain to me how to render like everyone else is with the radial gradients, that would be awesome! Below is the link/pictures for my workshop page, please rate or give me feedback :). Thanks

637x358.resizedimage

AA8E8EF3D8EE12346DD224837BE5FE4270DE877D
  • RDMD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RDMD polycounter lvl 10
    I think I solved my exporting issue

now my questiong is how is best to make the masks? since those use the rgb and alhpa channels we just paint over whit color for the effects we want?,or is there a simpler method?

I made a test using just big blobs of color to see how it looks in game and it ended up too bright or speculated,couldnt diferentiate much of the mask effect

so is there some simple way to create the mask?
    in the mask guides of valve the mask are shown in black and white,so we can create those in black and white and "apply" them to the color channel?
  • neozerahan
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost finished! I just have to sculpt and texture the weapon.SBcodSculpt.jpg
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Having an issue with normal maps... for some reason my normal map is creating a dark spot on one side of my shoulder armor, preventing all specularity/rimlighting etc. I know it's the normal map causing the problem because when I set the map to a solid color the specularity works on both sides as it should.

I baked out the normal map in xnormals, did I do something wrong? It appears the blue channel is causing the problem, but I thought normal map channels are supposed to go from light on one side to dark on the other

It looks like you baked your normals with mirrored/overlapped UVs. When you have overlapping UVs you have to move them out of 0:1 or just bake one half of the mesh.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Hi guys, I got a problem with importing my FBX in to Dota 2, it says the following:

Couldn't find any bones in the wearable that correspond to bones in the hero model. Wearable items must be skinned to the hero's bones to be submitted.

But I have skinned my model, so I wonder if you guys have any clue that could be a cause of this. I skinned my model too the Original FBX file that I downloaded from their workshop. Thanks in advance!

make a search with that sentence, a lot of people stuck on the same problem here
  • Boonta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    Trying to follow frumps rough guide of:

"To get your items to show up in the game and not just the importer, install the test client, take your compiled files (manual compile or the ones spit out by the importer) and rename it to the same as the default files. Then overwrite the default files and go into the game with the hero whose items you replaced."

Not having much luck tho.

Edit: no luck, current process anyone suggest what im doing wrong?

1. Installed dota2 TEST.
    2. extracted pak01_dir.vpk to \dota test\dota folder and deleted pak01_dir.vpk so it would use the extracted files.
    3. unzipped the test helm i had compiled using the workshop importer (it was names testHelm on import) on extraction of files from zip i renamed the .mdl. .vvd, and .vtx to have the correct skeleton_king_helm prefix and overwrote the files in the dota test\dota\models\heros\skeleton_king folder.
    4. fire up the game. default helm has disappeared but my mesh isnt showing.

For now i was hoping to just replace the model files.. i tried doing the same with the 4 material files under materials\models\heros etc etc but this didnt make my mesh appear in game.

will keep reading the forum in the mean time....

Edit:
    - Renamed the vmt to use proper directories. Had no effect.
    - Used the hex editor suggested to rename paths in the mdl. after using this and checking the result in notepad there were still references to the old workshop file path.. :S this may be the issue still ? Either way still getting a blank slot. not even that purple broken texture look as seen earlier in the thread.
    Used that
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    Frump wrote: »
    It looks like you baked your normals with mirrored/overlapped UVs. When you have overlapping UVs you have to move them out of 0:1 or just bake one half of the mesh.

I was already only baking one half of the mesh, sorry I didn't say that in my initial post.

I figured out what's wrong but have no idea how to fix it. The blue channel is supposed to be the top->down channel, not the left to right channel. Somehow my xyz axis got mixed around and xnormal thinks the back of the shoulders is actually down. Which is strange because both the high and low poly .obj's are right side up in both maya and zbrush.

Any ideas? I guess I could rotate all my objects in the editor as a work-around but I'd prefer to figure out where things are going wrong.

EDIT: Could missing faces between the high-poly .obj and the low poly cause the axis to be messed up like that? My low poly only has the faces the player will actually see, but my high poly is a complete object because zbrush won't divide faces properly if it's not.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    25.jpg
    25a.jpg

Here's what I've got so far. It's a pretty bad render, sorry about that. Just need to make the texture half decent, and rig, and it should be good.

I'm terrible at texturing :(
  • 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    flower power theme in dota2? hmm :)
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @mrpresident

Did you happen to use any mirroring in your mesh creation? Plus, don't use Xnormal. It is a waste of time. Use Zbrush. Here is why. You can separate your map creation by using polygroups, so you are only rendering 0:1. Plus, xnormal cant handle some UV patterns. It will create all kinds of messed up renders. This is especially true if you have disconnected geometry. Also, do your occlusion pass in Maya. So easy. Do your three point light map in Maya.

Here is a picture of my UVs, so I can basically save time, energy, and headaches. For the final piece, I will bring all UVs back to 0:1, but for the passes, these kinds of UVs work the best.

UVquadrants.jpg

• RDMD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RDMD polycounter lvl 10
    how I can make the lod1 of a model? wouldnt the uv mapping got changed by reducing and altering polygons of a mesh?

also wy xnormal is bad? I dont have zbrush but I do have sculptris,can I create normal maps in sculptris?
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ RDMD
    The idea is to maintain the border EDGES of those UV shapes. So, I would simply duplicate my geometry and start deleting excess UV/geometry without changing those borders. You have to build knowing you are going to have to take parts away. Using Xnormal, if you have a piece of geometry that isn't continuous, you would have to separate each of those pieces and render them separately, combining the 2 renders in photoshop. I don't use sculptris, but I'm sure you can google search some tutorials.
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    You can even delete some sub-objects If you feel you need it. For example, some little spikes that are geo in LoD0 can simply be deleted in LoD1. (Obviously, you can't delete half of the model, and say it's a LoD1, but you get the idea ^^ )
  • RDMD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RDMD polycounter lvl 10
    SinAmos wrote: »
    @ RDMD
    The idea is to maintain the border EDGES of those UV shapes. So, I would simply duplicate my geometry and start deleting excess UV/geometry without changing those borders. You have to build knowing you are going to have to take parts away. Using Xnormal, if you have a piece of geometry that isn't continuous, you would have to separate each of those pieces and render them separately, combining the 2 renders in photoshop. I don't use sculptris, but I'm sure you can google search some tutorials.

can I just link vertices? would that screw with the uv maps?

and you mean the border edges you mean the border of the whole uv map thing? like if I unwrap a head and "expand it" in the uv map editor,as long as I dont change the outer borders everything is fine?
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, but you should always need to build with the idea that you are going to take away geo. It is just a thought-process you have to get used to. I'm giving you shortcuts to thinking, because I'm nice, but most learning is from trial and error. You have to make mistakes to make progress. You can also change 4 polygons into three polygons or even 2 polygons. There are many ways of reshaping your polygon object into an LOD1.
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys I need some help deciding what to do. Currently I have a model for my contest entry (but since this is time-sensitive I'm coming here), but I am unsure about using it's current form. Right now I have a decorative extrusion(s) as hard geometry (because I am uncomfortable with bump mapping), but I hit the limit for the slot. The downside is the handle is really blocky and looks low quality. Should I try to fix the handle at the expense of the blade, or keep it as is?
    Meli3.png
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    From what I can see you could probably optimice the blade extrusion to get some tris for the handle.

But imo I would definetely give some minor shape on the blade and rely on the normal map for the extrusion so you can have more detail on the handle.
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SB_normal_diffuse.jpgAll sculpting finished. Time to export all the maps and get working on the other maps for the layered color map.
  • Sharc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    Well then, now that two of my polycount collaborations have apparently been dropped and everything's gone quiet, I have a couple of concepts without a home, if anyone is interested in any ideas.

Death Maiden set for Death Prophet
    Treasure of Dead Kings set for Skeleton King Along with a sword and alternate helmet
    Aspect of the Wraith set for Spectre
    Uniform of the Overseer set for Razor
  • I-ninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja polycounter lvl 5
    For some reason my high poly can't bake right but maybe it's me, how do i bake it right?
    high poly
    characterstrip2.jpg

low poly
    86257662.jpg
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ I-ninja

I don't understand your question. What program are you using and what are you trying to do?
  • neozerahan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,
    I have finished and submitted my Feral Gauntlets for Lycanthrope. Please have a look at it and let me know how i can improve so that i can acheive better quality next time.

Feral gauntlets in steam workshop

I have already started working on Shoulder armours for Dragon knight.
    Check it out

Thanks,
    Zain.
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SinAmos wrote: »
    @mrpresident

Did you happen to use any mirroring in your mesh creation? Plus, don't use Xnormal. It is a waste of time. Use Zbrush. Here is why. You can separate your map creation by using polygroups, so you are only rendering 0:1. Plus, xnormal cant handle some UV patterns. It will create all kinds of messed up renders. This is especially true if you have disconnected geometry. Also, do your occlusion pass in Maya. So easy. Do your three point light map in Maya.

Here is a picture of my UVs, so I can basically save time, energy, and headaches. For the final piece, I will bring all UVs back to 0:1, but for the passes, these kinds of UVs work the best.

Thanks for the help, it was definitely my missing faces between my high and low poly's and disconnected geometry causing xnormal to screw up. I already found a work-around but I'll be trying to do my normals in zbrush next time for sure.

Also, thanks for the tip for making lod1's by keeping the edges as is and only reducing poly's in the middle, it helped a lot. If you can't tell I'm still fairly new to this and learning as I go.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    Bah, I'm having problems importing it :(

For some reason I'm getting mega amounts of fresnel on the hood:
    rikiingame.jpg

It should be the same as the purple on his back, and it worked perfectly before, all I did was reskin it and save over the original texture with a slight colour tweak and it's gone to shit.
    rikifront.jpg

Any ideas?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja wrote: »
    For some reason my high poly can't bake right but maybe it's me, how do i bake it right?
    high poly
    characterstrip2.jpg

low poly
    86257662.jpg

firs of all your low poly should have almost the same sillhouette of your high, and on the shoulder we can see that is a little different
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo wrote: »
    Bah, I'm having problems importing it :(

For some reason I'm getting mega amounts of fresnel on the hood:
    rikiingame.jpg

It should be the same as the purple on his back, and it worked perfectly before, all I did was reskin it and save over the original texture with a slight colour tweak and it's gone to shit.
    rikifront.jpg

Any ideas?

check the vtm file, this is the one that defines your material, you can reduce the rim light there and the overall intensity of the specular

check also you specularity intensity and strenght in the maps
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lion is up! http://dota2.com/workshop/requirements/Lion
    Leshrac! http://dota2.com/workshop/requirements/Leshrac
    Dark Seer not having any files :(

Finally got rid of got problems with the normals on my set.
    This piece gave me so much trouble!
    SHjhy.png
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I finally compiled as an FBX, but then something weird happened. I was able to get my item in, but it had the wrong preview image, so I thought. Let me simply delete it and try again. After this point, I was no longer able to get the FBX in, but instead got a import error. Any thoughts for people using Maya and FBX imports?

Nevermind. I guess I got it to work.
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, what do you do when the maya file has the hero in the wrong bind pose? What is that about?
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    You can change bind pose in the Attribute Editor.
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is only one bind pose and it is wrong.
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    which hero is it? i can test and see if i can find a solution.
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spirit Breaker. Thanks for trying.
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    @SinAmor

I get no problem here. Skinning and compiling works perfect. Maya 2012 64bit.
  • neozerahan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dragon knight shoulder armour I made in my free time. Please have a look and let me know if there is anything i can do to improve the quality. I have not yet submitted it.
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

I am trying to upload some items for Dazzle but I am getting this error.

UploadFail.jpg

Things were working fine a few weeks ago.

Anyone have any ideas?
  • neozerahan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PoPcorn - Bro, i got that ERROR yesterday. Its because one your masks have 24 bit format.

double check your maps

diffuse = 24 bit (32 bit if you are using alpha or transparency)

Normal = 24 bit

mask 1 = 32 bit

mask 2 = 32 bit.

Please check this and import. Hopefully it should work out.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I had this error too popcorn and it was because I put two names as the title.
    Example:
    Saurons eye, if I just put sauron it works, try that, worked for me.

I thought it was the maps to, maybe this will help someone in the future.
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Nannou

The bind pose for Spirit Breaker is him down, with a hand on the ground. The pose in the MA file is him standing up right. What are you talking about?
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is really about one item, which is the shoulder armor I made. Everything else works, because of their placements. I can make a screen shot.
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on a set for Axe. Progress (diffuse on pic only, cuz blender, meh):
    hjgim.jpg
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AD52BA2FF22FF0A4A093E1DB7DBCF5589B5ED569

I still haven't been able to get my shoulder armor piece in the right position, but I'll keep trying. At this point, I have 4 items in the workshop for the contest. I just need to put in this 5th armor shoulder piece, but that bind pose is wrong.
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you tried opening a fresh/different version of spirit breaker's files and importing your shoulder piece to that? I've run into that problem before, and I fixed it by using the .fbx specific item slot source file instead of the maya file and importing the item into that, also as an fbx.
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FBX. Same bind pose. It isn't the crouch. I think they just overlooked this issue. I submitted the item anyway. So, I'm going back to the original items that I submitted the old way for Tidehunter, which weren't the right LOD. It didn't offer the new way to re-submit, so I wonder if there is anyway to combine them. At this point, I'm just making new submissions minus all the votes. Tear.
  • lancemaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For those that are having problems with the fbx imports. this is how i do it :

first :
    decompile the part that u need. If u need the weapon, decompile it from the game then import to maya and then bind it to your model. Dont forget to delete history and freeze transformations. Clean all trash data from your model. Check hypergraph for unused nodes. You need to select the whole bone hierarchy from the root to the bone atached to your item. So click on the root then go edit>select hierarchy then with shift pressed click on the rest of the meshes you want to export. then you can export as FBX. This way you dont really need to change the original maya orientation, and i dont have positioning problems inside the game engine anymore.

Ok, Now im having a huge problem. My model is ready and all textures seems to work. But the compression is killing me, my textures are getting lots of artefacts does anyone know a way to get around the image compression from the build in compiler? i can save files really small but the compiler messes it all up. im trying to find a solution with the VTF Edit, but im getting the same artefacts from the dota2 compressor.
  • AndrewHelenek
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I was busy making a character but I'm back to dota stuff and submitted a new thing. I'm probably going to expand it out into a set, although Rubick's files are coming out in this week's update and I have a set in mind for him I might want to do instead.

53D6656F3BC33985A47152AFD103CAFF6CFAEEFE

2D1CA9374767979C7A66FA2EE49F65E596607EFB