Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SVD Rifle

Hi,
it is been a while since I started making models, and since guys on blenderartist.com never really provided any useful feedback on my low poly models (sorry blender guys, but aside from that you were very helpful), I decided to come here for some valuable critique (also it took me a while to find the courage).

To make it short, here is my latest model (still not finished). SVD rifle. It is actually updated older model of mine (from my third mod for Fallout New Vegas). I decided to remade it and see if I can do better. Check these images from Marmoset 2:
9fEygT0.jpg
6sEBgbQ.jpg
5G2aFbT.jpg

And here is one from inside Cry Engine 3:

gA5nNRP.jpg

Some specs:

Since it is quite big rifle, I split it into body, receiver, scope and suppressor (latter two are optional in game).
All object use diff/spec/glo/norm textures at these resolutions:
body 2048x2048, receiver 2048x1024, scope 2048x2048, suppressor 1024x512px.

Rifle as you see it on the images above has 15,879 tris. This is the first person model, I intend to do lower res third person.

Thank you for your time and I am looking forward to your valuable insights.

Replies

• Itholon
    Offline / Send Message
    Itholon polycounter lvl 7
    Damn, that looks really cool. Not sure if it is the render or not, but there seems to be a lot of unnecessary noise on the texture. Also how did you do the texture, substance designer/painter/quixel or just good ol' photoshop? You should post a high poly and texture breakdowns too, it looks really great!
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    i agree. most of your metal is too noisy but aside from that.. great job
  • aaronmwolford
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    Looking great. Any chance we could see some wires?
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Man this turned out great man, kind of a shame that you see so few on FPV

The end of the reciever could have a bit higher texel density i suppose, and I would totally add something more interesting in the textures at that know that is right in your face, that noisy dirt looks kinda strange aswell
    Some more material variation also would push it a little more, like those 2 knob/screws on the scope that stick out, id be nice if they were more reflective
    AO on some parts, mainly the camo cloth bands is very strong
    the ejection cover has some potential tho, the scratches look random and there is a clear wear pattern from the horizontal usage of it that you could define, as it scratches along the metal
    You could also make it really next level with a little more historical detail, humanization etc. It looks pretty old for most part (wood seems pretty uniformly aged tho) and little things always make it more exciting,
    some letters written with a permanent marker, a sticker, a carving you get the idea
  • Eprdox
    Thanks guys for your answers.

Itholon: Just old photoshop. Weapon was modeled in blender 2.71 an textures (normal, cavity and curvature) baked in xnormal.

Shrike: I intend to post this as a mod for New Vegas and also I am simultaneously making Stg 44, so I might make that into mod as well. I only completed high poly of stg 44, here are some marmoset renders if you are interested:
    OCjlkua.jpg
    VtYHEgS.jpg

Now for the SVD. I think that the noise might be caused by the sharpening filters I am applying to the render. Anyway here are the texture plate for receiver and 1p21 (diff, spec on top, below is glo and norm):

mkC7tDO.jpg

cGH7dNJ.jpg

If you want to see the wire frame, check the model on the p3d.

I will add some yellowish scratches to the wood and I was too thinking about some words written on it by soldier, but frankly I do not know what would soviet soldier wrote on it, I couldn´t find any reference images on this topic. Anyone could help with that?
  • Tepcio
    Offline / Send Message
    Tepcio polycounter lvl 8
    Really cool. i'd love to see highpoly of this.
  • Eprdox
    I just dropped by to let you know I made the STG 44 low poly. Here are some images:
    oZ0VyZV.jpg
    TN5UUPe.jpg

Model has 11 135 tris and you can view it here stg44 (View in 3D) (Just switch to clean shading to get rid off the grid texture)
    X3230
    Now I start finishing the SVD.
  • Kurodius
    The detail on this model is fantastic. I would love to see a screenshot of the mesh.
  • Eprdox
    Kurodius: Just use the p3d.in links I posted, there you can see the wireframe model.

And here are some marmoset renders of the STG 44, hopefully I will do the SVD over the weekend.

hDM4qKg.jpg

puaXlfh.jpg
    fWSzWVu.jpg
    s8TEjyr.jpg

Any comment is much appreciated.
  • Itholon
    Offline / Send Message
    Texture could use some love. The bullet hole makes no sense, mainly there are not calibers that small and it would probably destroy the metal. Lot of the wear and weathering makes no sense, for example on the barrel bellow that small cylinder with sphere on the end would probably get almost no scratches. Flat surfaces don't tend to get scratched. Also the blood gets more brown after it dries. Overall the texture is great, but the little details could make it even better. The high poly and bake is really awesome though. :thumbup:
  • Eprdox
    Itholon: Thank you for your comment. I will try to improve the texture, but about what bullet hole you are talking about? There are no bullet holes in STG 44 on the picture.
  • Itholon
    Offline / Send Message
    hbrq5cg.png
    This bullet hole/impact, also specified which scrathes make no sense. (I meant these not this)
  • Tim270
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim270 polycounter lvl 6
    It is not a bullet hole, it is a lighting cut on the rifle. And/or for a sling I think.
  • CougarJo
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    Solid work here :D

I agree for the SVD having a metal a little too noisy, but the STG looks better for this particular point! :D

I like the bented rubber ''tube'' cover on the scope, nice detail and add life to the asset. Nice variations in the color of metal for the STG
  • Pedro Amorim
    Itholon wrote: »
    hbrq5cg.png
    This bullet hole/impact, also specified which scrathes make no sense. (I meant these not this)

This critique makes no sense to me.
    It's such a small nitpick that I'm pretty sure it's pointless. Overall the texture looks great and the model as well. Solid work. 10/10 would watch again.

The thing with the SVD is that I find it weird when people post the images on dark backgrounds and then the fresnel looks weird not having a blured background of the sky. I think it showcases the model better because you can see environemnt that is causing the fresnel.
  • Itholon
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim270: I see it now, it is very scratched hole, got me confused for a while :poly142:.

Pedro: Yeah, I used it only as an example of some sratches that seem very random.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Only thing I would focus on is some of the noise and overlays at the tertiary level. This is all really good work.
  • Eprdox
    Thank you guys for your comments.

Instead of SVD I decided to work more on STG 44. I added ZF 4 scope to it and sculpted some scratches and dents to the weapon stock. Next I will I modify the metal scratches, so they don't appear so generic.

ProjectEagleeye: Yeah I know it is delicate topic. That is why I wanted to choose something neutral. I know that "Glück auf!" is a traditional greeting, but I read on some forum that "Glück ab!" was a motto of german paratroopers ( Fallschirmjäger), but I do not really know if that is true. Anyway I got rid off those slogans and unit marking, thanks.

Oh and here are some in engine images:

O7bzzqJ.jpg
    EDQF7EU.jpg
  • DWalker
    The sniper scope was a bit unusual for that weapon; it was generally used with the more traditional - and longer-ranged - rifles.

The Zielgerat 1229 IR scope would be an interesting alternative.
    Zielger%C3%A4t-1229-Vampire.jpg
  • reedweinstock
    Offline / Send Message
    reedweinstock polycounter lvl 8
    Eprdox: could you post that noise pattern?

Thanks,
    Reed
  • polygoo
    Offline / Send Message
    polygoo polycounter lvl 17
    awesome, I like the style of texturing