Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Space station (UE4)

Replies

• Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Computron: of course, what else can you listen to when you bevel?

MooseCommander: thanks alot man, glad you like it! Hmm, I haven't thought about doing more tutorials, I'm just so bad at putting things together heh, but I hope to do alot more livestreaming and answering questions and so on : )

Adam: I understand the point you are making with the noisyness of the details, the thought behind the design of the door (and the environment) is that is relatively free from details on the hulls around the machinery to give the eye some rest, but the gaps in the plating shows the interior machinery coming out through the cracks so to speak. As the door opens, more and more of the interior machinery is revealed and the intricacy of the machinery is showing. The shots I posted yesterday were in various stages of the animation and with some hull-plating missing aswell, I'm posting an updated picture with the door in its closed state in the corridor, to see if that makes more sense to you, its a bit less cluttered when its in its closed state. I get what you are saying, it was pretty much what I was going for, but hopefully this is a better example:
    (derpy render with reference corridor, modo wont let me save renders today O_o)
    Door07.jpg
    As for my choice of renders, I'm simply just trying to figure out some nicer rendering, and deviating from the standard gray/single material stuff. Trying to synch my ingame and highpolys a bit more in terms of materials and color, to get a better preview of the final result. A bit heavy on the reflections, I agree, will have to try to pull that down a bit and make sure it doesnt burn out quite as much and let the shapes come forward a bit more, thanks.
    As for the whole "space station"-thing, I wasn't strictly thinking outer space as in zero-g and lightweight materials. Honestly this is more a case of seeking a particular style, chunky and industrial, and making that work in a scifi environment, rather than adapting a scifi-set to its location (the idea for the shape language came before any backstory or thought). I am thinking this is either a planetary installation or on a space station which is under alot of pressure of different kinds and need large, chunky and functional components, and minimalising smaller and digital components. This could just as easily be in a high-pressure atmosphere or something on a planet surface, something that explains the overchunkiness as waste of good metal :D
  • CharlestonN
    Offline / Send Message
    CharlestonN polycounter lvl 4
    What's your take on Modo Meshfusion?

Are there any other program out there that offer subtractive editing? From what i understand it's not possible within ZBrush is it?
  • WarrenM
    It's not just subtractive - it also supports unions and intersections.

The difference is that it's all live. Move things around in real time and watch the geometry dance. :)
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    I think meshfusion is great. The key thing is that it doesnt just do booleans, its that they merge them together with editable seams and junctions is such a clean way. Its pretty much all I wanted from it. :) Prototyping and sketching in 3d just got a million times easier, its pure joy.
  • kay-vonlanthen
    Offline / Send Message
    kay-vonlanthen polycounter lvl 7
    .Wiki wrote: »
    This looks like a really happy door :)

lol
  • kay-vonlanthen
    Offline / Send Message
    kay-vonlanthen polycounter lvl 7
    would also love to see you stream. where? did u already post a link. d u have twitter, maybe u can give a quick shout out when u stream : ) love that stuff u do here. did u see the star citizen thing, where some groups can model a ship and the winner will get it in the game. its freaking amazing, youll like it : )
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Snefer wrote: »
    I think meshfusion is great. The key thing is that it doesnt just do booleans, its that they merge them together with editable seams and junctions is such a clean way. Its pretty much all I wanted from it. :) Prototyping and sketching in 3d just got a million times easier, its pure joy.

How good is the final mesh? Could we see some examples?
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Snefer wrote: »
    Computron: of course, what else can you listen to when you bevel?

MooseCommander: thanks alot man, glad you like it! Hmm, I haven't thought about doing more tutorials, I'm just so bad at putting things together heh, but I hope to do alot more livestreaming and answering questions and so on : )

Adam: I understand the point you are making with the noisyness of the details, the thought behind the design of the door (and the environment) is that is relatively free from details on the hulls around the machinery to give the eye some rest, but the gaps in the plating shows the interior machinery coming out through the cracks so to speak. As the door opens, more and more of the interior machinery is revealed and the intricacy of the machinery is showing. The shots I posted yesterday were in various stages of the animation and with some hull-plating missing aswell, I'm posting an updated picture with the door in its closed state in the corridor, to see if that makes more sense to you, its a bit less cluttered when its in its closed state. I get what you are saying, it was pretty much what I was going for, but hopefully this is a better example:
    (derpy render with reference corridor, modo wont let me save renders today O_o)
    Door07.jpg
    As for my choice of renders, I'm simply just trying to figure out some nicer rendering, and deviating from the standard gray/single material stuff. Trying to synch my ingame and highpolys a bit more in terms of materials and color, to get a better preview of the final result. A bit heavy on the reflections, I agree, will have to try to pull that down a bit and make sure it doesnt burn out quite as much and let the shapes come forward a bit more, thanks.
    As for the whole "space station"-thing, I wasn't strictly thinking outer space as in zero-g and lightweight materials. Honestly this is more a case of seeking a particular style, chunky and industrial, and making that work in a scifi environment, rather than adapting a scifi-set to its location (the idea for the shape language came before any backstory or thought). I am thinking this is either a planetary installation or on a space station which is under alot of pressure of different kinds and need large, chunky and functional components, and minimalising smaller and digital components. This could just as easily be in a high-pressure atmosphere or something on a planet surface, something that explains the overchunkiness as waste of good metal :D

This shot reads a lot better, for sure. Your eye lands right on the center part and I'm willing to bet thats important to you. Where would a player/person interact with this? On the area to the left of the door, that is covered in a bar? A better way to ask this is how would I open the door? The keypad on the right? I wonder how it would look on the left, using that large square form as an eye attraction, to which the eye would then fall on to the keypad? Right now they keypad is fighting for visual importance.
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam: Success! :D Don't ask so complex questions, you are making me think! Tbh I haven't yet decided, it will be a different spot from the two sides, because of how the door works, for this side probably the panel on the right, yeah. The large square form is suppose to open and have some cooling-stuff in there, so probably not there. Or an external opening mechanism from some distance away, not sure yet.

kay-volanthen: Yeah, i always tweet when i stream, my twitter is Snefer aswell, https://twitter.com/Snefer
    PogoP:
    This is what the wires look like: (after converting it back to polygons) So as you can see its very usable. Of course the geo will also depend on how your base meshes looked, the larger the offset between resolution in your different meshes the funkier the geo will be, like fusing a very simple and a very poly-dense object.
    mehsfusionwires.jpg
  • Fishypants
    Offline / Send Message
    Fishypants polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet! Subscribed! Great work man, really impressive. The thing I noticed the most about your work is your ability to give the eye resting places. SOOOOO many people here either forget to do that or don't know to do it in the first place, and you see their work and its just detail EVERYWHERE. It looks horrible when people do that and it gives me a headache just to look at it. But your work, you know what you are doing and I appreciate it :D
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Fishypants: thanks! : )

Wrapped up this side of the door and renderd it out, time to do the same to the other side, and then lowpoly-time! : )

SpaceStation01.jpg
    SpaceStation02.jpg
    SpaceStation03.jpg
  • WarrenM
    2014-05-01%2011_42_33-Untitled-2%20%40%20100%25%20%28START%20OVER%2C%20RGB_8%29%20_.jpg

No, this looks incredible. I cannot WAIT to see this baked and in the engine. Holy hell...
  • ScrotieFlapWack
    Offline / Send Message
    ScrotieFlapWack polycounter lvl 5
    Some sweet models dude. Subbed!
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    WarrenM wrote: »
    2014-05-01%2011_42_33-Untitled-2%20%40%20100%25%20%28START%20OVER%2C%20RGB_8%29%20_.jpg

No, this looks incredible. I cannot WAIT to see this baked and in the engine. Holy hell...

Thank you for knocking Tor down a notch for the rest of us.
  • polygoo
    Offline / Send Message
    polygoo polycounter lvl 17
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    HAHA, NOOOOOO! *shift-deletes model* The shame, the shaaaame! :D
  • Harbinger
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    That's a pretty sick high poly! How do you approach your low poly? Do you use Modo's retopo tools? I typically strip out edge loops and cut down my high poly, but I don't see that working with the way Mesh Fusion combines meshes.
  • Stockwell
    Harbinger wrote: »
    That's a pretty sick high poly! How do you approach your low poly? Do you use Modo's retopo tools? I typically strip out edge loops and cut down my high poly, but I don't see that working with the way Mesh Fusion combines meshes.

Was just about to ask this too Tor, definitely curious about your approach.
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger/Stockwell: Depends on the polycount. Higher polycount = resusing more elements, lower polycount = creating new lowpoly cage. I usually reuse parts of my highpoly to get a good base and for complex things that need to be built down to really low polycounts I build a brand new cage around that. I'd say 50/50 reusing HP-elements as base and creating new polygons. Tbh I haven't used modos retopo-tools that much, its on my very long to-do list of tools to integrate into my pipeline :D
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Doing some work on the other side of the door aswell, making sure everything works with animations and so on:

door10.jpg
    door11.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Very cool man. I can see panels and things where you have floaters. I'm curious how well meshfusion would handle it if you tried to create a solid mesh from those floater, or would the whole first sub-d have to be a lot more high res in order to do that? I guess it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to do that anyway, with your current workflow, but I'm sure it would be nice if you could in certain circumstances. Just thinking out loud I guess, always great to see new work from you dude!
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, floaters are just way way faster. Could do it with meshfusion if i Really wanted to, if it was only for highpoly renders, but otherwise i'd stick to floaters, its just so much more efficient.

Finally wrapped the highpoly for the door up. Not as happy with this side as the other, but hopefully it will be a good contrast to the other side. This one is much more plain and not as intersting shapes. Also I got really tired towards the end and just slapped something together. Now for the horrible part, the lowpoly :D

SpaceStation10.jpg
    SpaceStation11.jpg
    SpaceStation12.jpg
    SpaceStation13.jpg
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    mmm cannot wait for that Low poly
  • LaurentiuN
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    Overkill, so awesome:>
  • Bal
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    I want to have sex with that door.
  • CougarJo
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    As always, awesome high poly! :D Can't wait for low poly , texture etc!
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost done with the lowpoly, here is the lowpoly and bake for the static parts, having some problems with the normals from modo 801, will have to see if i can solve that, stupid fbx. A bunch of stuff (details) missing, and not really happy with it, but I hope it can be salvaged with texturing. (not baked lighting and as always scene lighting is very temp, only makes it worse : ) )

doorlp1.jpg
    doorlp2.jpg
    doorlp3.jpg
    doorlp4.jpg
    doorlp5.jpg
  • Envart
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    that looks awesome. love the clumpy paint material!
  • LaurentiuN
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
  • WarrenM
    Was going to say the same, Walrus. I love that layered paint material. Looks great ... it has an inherent age and "lived in" quality to it, great stuff!
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    So, finally getting back to this! I managed to fix alot of problems I had in my workflow, so now I should be able to crank this stuff out faster and in better quality than before, woho! Here is a new asset that I tried som things on. I will also revamp the shaders for the entire scene , now I have a better idea of what I want to do with them (this asset is just a diffuse bake and nothing else really)

04.jpg
  • ScrotieFlapWack
    Offline / Send Message
    ScrotieFlapWack polycounter lvl 5
    Dayum son! This looks insane. Love the texture work very nice. Amazing models too man great work!
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Ahhh, I thought you may have shelved this project.

Good to see otherwise :D
  • erik!
    Dope! What sort of problems were you having in your workflow?
  • Scorpyx
    Offline / Send Message
    Scorpyx polycounter lvl 12
    it will be insane - and I will love it.. GO!
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 13
    Breathtaking as usual Tor ... looking forward to seeing where the materials are going!
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working on the shader for the scene a bit more, here is a first stab at it, its semi-procedural so all assets will have unique wear&tear without me having to do anything, but it still has some issues with how it looks (and will create more unique masks per asset too)

05.jpg
  • JoshWilkinson
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    I can see #2 fitting very well in the scene but I'm really enjoying the treatment of #3. #1 looks too clean to show off your skillset and #4 looks too dirty for an interior scene.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    #1 the rest look dirty and too worn.
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I dont think I will use any of these specific ones, this is just different values in the shader, so : ) Just showing what it does (and that the wear is different between some of them)
  • KennyTies
    How does this keep getting better? Nice work.
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more shadertinkering. More efficient, and more control. Slowly getting there, bunch of other things I want to get in there before its done too.

06.jpg
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Speedmodel WIP of another asset for the scene :)

07.jpg
  • RexM
    Dude, this is so refreshing, I love it.

Really awesome shapes you got going on. UE4 is pretty great to work with, liking it so far?

Also, I noticed that your recent assets are quite dirtied up. Are you going for an abandoned spacestation?
  • Anchang-Style
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    You are working in Modo right? with every model iam feeling like "how the hell....what the hell is he doing there? how you produce such shapes IN 3ds max...wouldn't you spend like weeks adjust point by point" maybe modo is friendlier there.
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    RexM, thanks! Well, im having some issues with UE4, or maybe its just myself, just having trouble getting something I like in it to a finished state. And not abandoned, but more gritty/industrial than clean : )

Anchang-Style, yes, I'm using modo : )
  • Joshflighter
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    I work near ABB robots, and that kind of dirty/used texture is spot on. In fact, if no one cleans the robots up and keeps them running 24/7, it ends up in even worse shape.

Great stuff yet again!
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Sooo good! These are superb assets, and the shaders are remarkable. I'm following this one.
  • AbKI
    Offline / Send Message
    AbKI polycounter lvl 6
    Unnnfff. Love how you've done the wear and tear, your materials are incredible. :)
  • Chimp
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    I really like the surfaces, it's a nice contrast to all the shiny stuff going around. Really like the scene as a whole :)