Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UE4 Infiltrator Demo - Art Dump

paulsvoboda
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
Hey Guys,

Around a year ago I got the privilege of working with some really talented folks on the UE4 Infiltrator Demo. A few of us were tasked with building the 'upstairs' city section of the level, where the big Bot fires at the Infiltrator man (you can see Pete's awesome bot here: http://cghub.com/images/view/723737/
It was about 4-5 of us initially but towards the end everyone sort of jumped on and helped wherever they could. It was a huge team effort and we all got the chance to jump in to any area that needed help. I had a ton of fun, made many many mistakes and learned a whole bunch from the folks around.

This was the demo:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO2rM-l-vdQ"]Unreal Engine 4 "Infiltrator" Real-Time Demo - YouTube[/ame]

Here are a few of the pieces I built. A lot of them are shown in 'unique' placement for render purposes only, however, a lot were baked in a way I could get as much variations out of them in order to use them across a number of objects.

This was the main Courthouse Facade - The building itself was rather simple apart from the main centerpiece; just pillars, large metal 'walls', and windows, so most of the effort went into this piece:

8xyMPND.jpg

6jk3NZL.jpg

And here are the surrounding pieces around it which made up most of the building itself:

n3CrJtw.jpg

Some more modular pieces which were used to 'decorate' the building surrounding the main Courthouse:

One of our directions for the environment stuff was to take traditional shapes and interpret them in a more mechanical way. I never really was able to execute this in a very successful way, veering too heavily in one direction or the other, but that was some of the underlying design choices behind these things:

uK8zN02.jpg

mm6dist.jpg

ijXvoKJ.jpg

tmiEiSd.jpg

I attempted to build as many variations on this piece as I could fit into the structure as I knew it would be used a lot around the buildings. I don't think the third variation on the right works at all but we were able to use that top piece for some silhouette work around the city:
v14JBnL.jpg

zXmjUvI.jpg

This piece was the center floor piece in the demo. I made marble slats to go around it which were then torn up by Pete's Death Blossom bot. It also was used to connect the underground to the above ground by way of the manhole which the man would climb through:

NEkckHr.jpg

Q8s8TPk.jpg

n7sAGCp.jpg

Some pieces here were borrowed from one of Kevin's awesome models:
UoA0CCS.jpg

Replies

• JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome stuff, very inspiring! :)
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    amazing work, attention to detail everywhere! Saved to inspirational folder :)
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These look great man :) Do you have any tips or thoughts on creating the more organic hard surface shapes? Any tools you found particularly helpful?
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    Slick and smooth, nice work!!
  • spetch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spetch polycounter lvl 11
    really amazing high poly models. Thanks for posting!
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRealFroman polycounter lvl 11
    fap fap fap fap fap*
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Oooooh my, thankyou for sharing :D
  • Meteora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meteora polycounter lvl 8
    Holy crap that's some good work.
  • Navi271
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Navi271 polycounter lvl 4
    Very well done! It's pretty awesome you got to work on this demo.

I was wondering though, what program(s) did you end up using to create the high poly models?
  • jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jRocket polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool. Did you use zbrush/mudbox or a more traditional max/maya approach?
  • Boban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This was created in Unreal Engine 4 entirely?
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    crazy stuff! I'm really interested on your workflow
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    awesome work! super inspirational.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    WOW! Awesome stuff Paul. I'd echo what Sean asked. Tips? Advice for organic/hard surface work. Curves?
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    These are fantastic, I love the intricate pieces the border each panel.

How much of each of these assets are created from kit-bashing assets you had already made from previous projects?

Was there any Z-brush involved?
  • Teessider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teessider polycounter lvl 11
    beautiful work!

I'm also interested in your workflow :D
  • Kimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimono polycounter lvl 10
    Really interesting work and some damn sexy modelling,only one thing irks me though in the last two images, there's some awkward intersections going on and meshes just look crashed into each other, which is absent on the other pieces. I guess that came from borrowing parts off other models?
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    such beautiful shapes, great work :D
  • kernersvillan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kernersvillan polycounter lvl 9
    Yep, this stuff is so badass man. You were such a beast on this project. Beautiful work dude.
  • polygoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polygoo polycounter lvl 17
    really awesome
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    awesome stuff man!
  • Geno527
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geno527 polycounter lvl 8
    This is just awesome. Thank you for sharing :D
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    looks awesome, paul!
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Great stuff, Paul. Thanks for sharing.
    It's always fun actually putting art to people :)
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    That is some kickass art! Any chance you could share any details on what software you used and/or the creation process?
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
  • Money
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Money polycounter lvl 8
    Inspirational stuff. :)
  • vemadesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vemadesign polycounter lvl 12
    Crazy awesome! :)
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome work, Paul! I have a couple of questions if you get a chance:

(1) Are you going through and modeling each opening for those bolts or do you have a quicker way to do that (like cutting out sections and reusing it - although it seems like that would be hard on those more curvy pieces)?

(2) Did you model those scrolled elements in Max? Or did you use Zbrush to combine some of those elements with the surrounding panels (like in the lower panel on that first image)?

(3) Also, I know in a lot of the GOW elements that Kevin showed there was a lot of Zbrush work to break up the edges and add in scratches (even on the metal surfaces), are you all not doing that in any more (with the preference of leaving that to more procedural approaches) or was this just supposed to be a more clean surface? I'm just curious on how you all might have changed your texturing pipeline with the creation of Substance Designer and Ddo, or if you are still sculpting that kind of surface detail on your environment pieces?

Thanks!
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    Beautiful work! I can't believe how amazing each of these pieces are!
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rafferty_Eggleston polycounter lvl 9
    Beautiful work!
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys,
    Thanks so much for the response and questions!
    All of this stuff was made in Max.
    Gannon:
    I tried using this project to really delve deep into hard surface modeling and so I didn’t end up using any stuff I had made before. The initial Courthouse building (which I made first), allowed me to create a whole set of grebals which then I was able to use for other meshes as the project progressed.
    dtschultz:
    1)for a lot of the bolts and things I’m just using floaters which are either handplaced or placed using advanced painter. These are the main ones I use. Any other cylindrical hole that’s large enough and not on a flat surface is usually modeled in.
    iDYSBc4.jpg
    2)I used Max for everything
    3)One of the things we tried to steer away from with this project was a lot of noise in our models, mainly coming from dings, dents, etc. We wanted cleaner surfaces and less noisy detail. We found on Elemental that reflections and materials look much better on clean, flat surfaces and a lot of the zBrush work begins to hide those things.
    Kimono:
    Yep, that’s definitely right. The last mesh was the very final thing I worked on, and it had to be finished pretty fast while we were juggling other things. I really wish I could have spent more time on it and made better choices, but it worked fine for the end result as, at that point, the camera angles were locked and I knew we wouldn’t see those intersections at all in the demo, but it’s definitely something I wish I could’ve done a lot better.

Tips/Advice:
    Honestly, there are not many tricks, or shortcuts, just many mistakes, failures, etc. So much of this stuff was made by failure and iteration; I’d model something, think it’s horrible, iterate until it looked somewhat decent, or just start again. I found that sometimes you have to give yourself the benefit of the doubt long enough until you can make something work.
    I’m a bit hesitant about sharing workflow tips because my workflow is pretty horrible. It’s mainly me fumbling around, ahcking things together till I find something that works. So I guess I'll just explain a few of the mistakes I made a lot.

Here's the wire on the Courthouse. I deleted the pipes and things as to make it easier to read, although I imagine it's still pretty hard; I collapsed a turbosmooth at some point to give me more gemoetry to work with on the model.
    The lighter grey shell is all one piece. I tend to connect everything and don’t usually mash pieces together. This is incredibly time consuming and tedious but helps me understand how shapes flow together a bit better. I chalk this up mainly to complete inexperience on my part (Johnstone's models are far more elegant and he's able to make seperate meshes work well together). You can see that when I departed from this on some other pieces, the model really breaks down.

AUDk508.jpg

1) I tried to work on flat surfaces, then deform later – The courthouse façade is the best example of this I think. The shape was at an angle and curved inwards and then arched at the top which could have been incredibly hard to add detail to without messing up some of the curvature so a lot of the initial design was made on a flat shape and then I used bend/path-deform and ffd’s to deform it into the shape. After that I had to work on it more as there were other things I wanted to add, but this made a lot of the more complex shapes easy to model.

The deco design was made by working on a flat piece, using splines....
    ZOgvBaI.jpg

and then connecting the mesh to the panel which would deform with the rest of the Courthouse shape:
    Sel65eh.jpg

3)I try to start with lots of geometry – especially If I am modeling something on a curve/sphere/cylinder, otherwise adding detail later is incredibly difficult without ruining the primitive shape. Here's one in which I followed this pretty well, and it was fairly easy going:
    VXwbeNj.jpg

For the most part though, I wouldn't which was a mistake. Sometimes I'd bite the bullet and start over, use the old mesh as sort of a concept base mesh, at other times I'd use primitive shapes or rough meshes as guides to rectify these situations.

jU8ITtM.jpg

In this case I added edge loops to the model and then just snapped it to the cylinder's verts (which I used as a guide) to create a smooth/accurate curve. You can do this with anything, just lay down edge loops on the rough model and then snap verts to them. It can take some to clean up but is often better than starting over.

4)I use FFD's a lot to change shapes which are already detailed - these can be a lifesaver.

5)I used the Shell modifier a lot to add thickness/layering – I have a bunch of really simple curves which I use to quickly add paneling to the edges. If you keep the shell modifier on top without collapsing you can manipulate shapes with much more ease and still retain edge detail.

I hope some of that helps.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Awesome explanation on things Paul! Really cool to get some insight into great work. Thanks for sharing this with the community.
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Paul, amazing work first of all. I've been using UE4 for almost a year now and have seen all your work in engine (which is stunning); really nice to see the high quality HP models for some the these assets. :thumbup:
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sythen polycounter lvl 10
    NEkckHr.jpg
    I would assume that this mesh would be exported separately for UV map optimization correct? Considering the mesh is so long.

Could we see a low-poly of this and perhaps an AO map or something to see it's unwrapping? I'm very interested to see how these large scale objects are optimized for Unreal Engine purposes.

Cheers, and awesome work!
    - Sy.
  • alecchalmers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alecchalmers polycounter lvl 10
    Big fan of your work Paul. What is great about this breakdown though is you explain how you overcame certain problems. This is really helpful to other people trying to learn from you. I'll still probably make similar mistakes, but I'll have a better idea of how to go about fixing them now. Thanks!
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Brilliant, great to see some of the assets involved in that amazing video.
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've another question actually, it seems by your bolts reference that you use Nurms when modeling, do you do this for a lot of your work? Very interested to know.
  • Dubzski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubzski polycounter lvl 11
    Oooh that topology is so clean :poly142:
  • airage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    airage polycounter lvl 13
    Beautiful work! Thank you for sharing all the knowledge.
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Wow! Thanks for both the great Artwork and the breakdowns :)
  • rockstar6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rockstar6 polycounter lvl 11
    amazing stuff, very inspiring :)
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the breakdowns!
  • DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    Fantastic work!
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Hey, Paul. Thanks a lot for taking the time to write such an elaborate response - very informative.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Sythen wrote: »
    I've another question actually, it seems by your bolts reference that you use Nurms when modeling, do you do this for a lot of your work? Very interested to know.

It isn't nurms is my guess. It looks like turbosmooth with Isoline Display toggled.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    well this makes my little penis hard
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sythen - The large mesh was actually a bit less optimized than most mainly because of how close to the camera it was going to be. For the floor section, this is basically how I baked it out:
    Keip4ZJ.jpg

It had to tile a lot so that's why I built in so many seam lines into the mesh. You can usually assume that when I build a seam in the High Poly I am tiling/mirroring at that point. It's a great way to hide UV Texture seams in your LP and allows you to reuse your texture a lot. We didn't do that here as much since this was the final piece, but I did get a lot of use out of it as the floor region was rather large/long. The Mech Piece and thing under it were baked on a separate texture.
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It isn't nurms is my guess. It looks like turbosmooth with Isoline Display toggled.

Thanks for Clarifying :)