Home General Discussion

Job offer question:

Hey guys, I just wanted to get some personal opinion or advice (if you would be so kind) on my current position.

I have applied for 2 jobs. 1 job has just come back and offered me a place; its not an ideal job for me as it requires a lot of traveling (1 hour 30mins drive to get to work; also no decent train links) and its not a "games" job but its still 3D etc.

Job 2 I recently had an interview and I was told I would hear back from them in the next 2 weeks. This isn't a 3D job but is for a games tester role, however it does mean that;
1 I'd be working in my dream studio of choice,
2 its like 10 mins away but....
3 its peanuts in wage comparison. The thing I am worried about is that Im on my 2nd day of a 2 week notice for Job 2 in being notified if I am successful.

I don't want to push my luck and put them by phoning up and asking if I have got it or not because I've been offered another job. I know the role I am going for is a role they could fill 50x over so I don't want to lose out. However I don't want to lose out on this other job because then I'd actually be working again which is something I am really concious of.

So should I phone up job 2 and explain my situation? I would have guessed if they didn't want me then it would be quite a quick sad face on my application in the interview and that would be it. I don't care too much about details of what I would be doing and when for Job 2, just to know that I have it is all I am after.

I have been told that I could just take job 1 as I have a 2 week window to get myself a car etc and then if I hear back from Job 2 just to take it and say sorry to job 1 but that really doesnt sit comfortably with me and I'd really not like to waste anyones time with this.

Replies

• Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Go for the non-games 3D role!

Non-games 3D > QA
  • Sculptaur
    Dude, Take the 3D job! It's more relevant work experience and better pay. Consider moving closer if travel time is a problem. I once did a similar trip to a job until I decided to move closer, thankfully they were pretty lax on the hour I got in to work (as long as I did my 8 hours).

And just keep working on the portfolio and keep applying at the dream studio with the experience behind you. You will be better for it. :thumbup:
  • l.croxton
    Hey guys thanks for the replies :) Honestly I am surprised by the response I thought everyone would say that getting your foot in the door would be the best way to go. I know its not "once your in your in" because you can be chucked out pretty quickly! However my thinking was being able to say I worked in a games studio(working at your studio) doing QA and heres my awesome portfolio would be better than, heres my awesome portfolio and Ive been working as visualisation artist.

thanks again for the replies, I really appreciate it :)
  • l.croxton
    btw I'm not saying my portfolio is awesome, just used it as an example!
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah maybe that used to be true... but, from people I know and work with, you're much more likely to be taken into consideration for an art role coming from a different 3D background than a QA role within a games company.
  • l.croxton
    Oh OK thats fair enough and pretty understandable, I do already have 3D experience but due to personal circumstances I had to leave my last job and so I thought to get a QA chance was a sort of Golden Ticket! As I would have both. Probably a bit naive on my behalf.

I'll certainly take that into consideration, the choice isn't about money its just about enjoying my work and so far I've not exactly had the most fun... and when I saw the email for interview at the Studio it was like I remembered why I wanted to get into the games industry as I had admitdly started to give up.

Thanks again for your reply :)
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
  • marks
  • genwu
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu polycounter lvl 7
    Most definitely take the 3D job, especially if it's better pay. You'll be doing relevant things with 3D (even if it's not games specifically) - but the real kicker here is especially since it's for better pay, it will allow you to work more on 3D after work (and still live - as opposed to working for beans and not doing 3D at all.)

Goodluck!
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    definitely 3D.

I came out of Uni and straight into Vis as a 3D artist, now I run my own department within a year of being here and manage staff :D

I'd still like to get into games, and I've been given 2 opportunities at game studios however wasn't able to relocate at that time.

and man, you'll learn ALOT :D
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Definitely take the 3d job. QA jobs will not help you get a into a 3d position 99.9% of the time, I have literally heard managers saying "well if hes such a good artist why is he working in QA?"

Also, another thing that could happen is getting burned out super fast from working in QA, normally long hours and boring, repetitive tasks will kill your motivation. you will also be one of the first to get let go should the company take a turn for the worst or a project ends.

The 3d job will offer you relevant experience, better pay, and working on 3d all day will help you get faster and aquire more skills that could be readily applicable for games. Move closer if you have to to avoid commuting, its well worth it.
  • l.croxton
    Hey, wow firstly thank-you for the replies you guys have been really awesome.

Just to quickly point out, the money side of it isn't an issue as I am in a sort of unique situation at the moment (which isnt a great one but its one that means money isnt really an issue); however that doesn't hide the fact I'd be earning double or more as the 3D artist with oppertunities to earn more in direct comparision to the QA role which is fixed.

I guess for me I've not had it the easiest with some stuff thats happened (not a sob story haha) so I thought WOOOOOOOO insane studio has given me an interview maybe this is my chance!! but obviously you guys know far more than me and so I think I can see it from the other side of the argument more.

I mean sure the drive will suck (i may relocate later on) but with the QA there will be no doubt constant overtime so I wouldn't really be better off time wise.

So yeah, may seem a bit overdone but thanks alot for your responses, I don't have like a group of 3D artists I can talk to so its cool you've taken your time out to respond. Have an internet beer or cookie on me :)
  • WarrenM
    Yep, another agreement with the 3D job. That job gets you relevant experience ... the QA job gets you QA experience. If you're not looking at doing QA long term, it's not the best choice.
  • WarrenM
    However, 1.5 hour commute is awful and will grate on you over time. You said that was one way? So 3 hours a day commuting. That's bad.

Also agree that if you can move closer, do so! Or maybe they'd let you work remotely a few days a week...
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    l.croxton wrote: »
    Hey, wow firstly thank-you for the replies you guys have been really awesome.

Just to quickly point out, the money side of it isn't an issue as I am in a sort of unique situation at the moment (which isnt a great one but its one that means money isnt really an issue); however that doesn't hide the fact I'd be earning double or more as the 3D artist with oppertunities to earn more in direct comparision to the QA role which is fixed.

I guess for me I've not had it the easiest with some stuff thats happened (not a sob story haha) so I thought WOOOOOOOO insane studio has given me an interview maybe this is my chance!! but obviously you guys know far more than me and so I think I can see it from the other side of the argument more.

I mean sure the drive will suck (i may relocate later on) but with the QA there will be no doubt constant overtime so I wouldn't really be better off time wise.

So yeah, may seem a bit overdone but thanks alot for your responses, I don't have like a group of 3D artists I can talk to so its cool you've taken your time out to respond. Have an internet beer or cookie on me :)

May I ask, where is this vis studio? Would be funny to see you just turn up in person and be like hai :P
  • EarthQuake
    Yep, go for the 3d job. Moving up from QA is very difficult, so even if its a "games" job, it isn't art production, so you won't really be gaining relevant experience.

Work at the 3d job for a few months and then rent an apartment closer to it if you can.
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    The commuting can be well spent listening to self development audiobooks (audible.com, for example) if you are into that stuff
  • l.croxton
    @WarrenM Yeah I guess that is where I thought if I were working in the studio I could sort of move up through just being there; obviously I'd work really hard etc to try and get my efforts noticed but yeah I can understand how if I had more 3D experience it may look better for them to employ someone who had then 2 years of working within a "3D" area rather than 1 and did a stint of QA. Yeah the commute may be pretty painful at times, I'm hoping that with the new road connection it will speed it up and knock it down to an hour if I am lucky!

@DaveJr Yeah its just outside of Birmingham! Ha! yeah, just be like you're one those who talked me into this!!

@EarthQuake, Yeah I didn't think it would be easy but it would atleast be a sort of "tick in the box" so to speak. I guess with the job I'm going for they said they would help me do more sculpting stuff which would really benefit me as well!

I think thats pretty much the plan, I said I'd look to relocate after successful completion of the probahation :)

Cheers again everyone :D
  • l.croxton
    @Spoon I did think it would be cool to try and learn a new language, I want to go to Australlia so I could learn Australlian! :P
  • MagicSugar
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Job 2 I recently had an interview and I was told I would hear back from them in the next 2 weeks.

I'd offer the counter-advice (but assuming you don't have loans to pay or mouths to feed :poly136: )

Call this game studio back asap, explain you have an offer (don't say where) but still would like to work as QA. And ask if they can let you know in 48 hours if they still want you. I mean, you got nothing to lose in demanding quicker decision since the non-games job already committed to hiring you, right?

If they say yes, I'd go for it since as QA you'll have first hand info about their team, art direction for present and future devs, and pipeline. If you're skilled enough you can custom prep your portfolio for their IPs.

QA is not like your stigmatized for life as a no talent guy. Why wouldn't they see your portfolio if you're applying from within? I've seen QA contractor profiles on linkedin move on to artist roles. It's a solid foot in the door too as far as networking and possible mentoring possiblities are concerned.

And if you're lucky to ship even as qa, that's a bonus achievement on your resume.
  • l.croxton
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    I'd offer the counter-advice (but assuming you don't have loans to pay or mouths to feed :poly136: )

Call this game studio back asap, explain you have an offer (don't say where) but still would like to work as QA. And ask if they can let you know in 48 hours if they still want you. I mean, you got nothing to lose in demanding quicker decision since the non-games job already committed to hiring you, right?

If they say yes, I'd go for it since as QA you'll have first hand info about their team, art direction for present and future devs, and pipeline. If you're skilled enough you can custom prep your portfolio for their IPs.

QA is not like your stigmatized for life as a no talent guy. Why wouldn't they see your portfolio if you're applying from within? I've seen QA contractor profiles on linkedin move on to artist roles. It's a solid foot in the door too as far as networking and possible mentoring possiblities are concerned.

And if you're lucky to ship even as qa, that's a bonus achievement on your resume.

Yeah see that is what I was thinking, and I even approached the guy when he said what would I like to do in 3 or 5 years time I said I wanted to be a 3D Artist etc and he said that some of the people from QA have moved within the company which is what I was hoping to do.

I think if I knew the hours wouldn't be so long as to the point of extra weekend work on top (which I totally understand and appreciate) Im not 100% sure I will find the time to do a portfolio aswell. Maybe I'm being an idiot haha and thinking it will be harder than it actually will, but with what the guys before have said and with this other role allowing me to get to grips with sculpting better etc while at work, seems like a winner for me in that sense. More productive in my time of getting better at the craft rather than being in the studio where I need to find extra time to do so.

Its just difficult because both jobs offer very different ups and downs. I've emailed the studio just to ask, I havnt heard anything so I may call up tomorrow earlyish to find out whats going on and take it from there. Just seems crazy that I've got a chance to work within (I know its not 3D) but the studio I would love to work in and Im now seriously considering the job that Im not as interested in over it lol

Thanks for your counter advice, its kinda reassuring to have atleast one person who matched my original train of thought :poly121:

cheers :D
  • MagicSugar
    Offline / Send Message
    Just seems crazy that I've got a chance to work within (I know its not 3D) but the studio I would love to work in and Im now seriously considering the job that Im not as interested in over it lol

Hey, you got a job offer. Congrats!

As long as you're maturing as an artist eventually you'll reach your career goals.
  • l.croxton
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    Hey, you got a job offer. Congrats!

As long as you're maturing as an artist eventually you'll reach your career goals.

Sorry I meant if I get the offer, no offer just yet :)

Thanks for that :)
  • WarrenM
    Be aware that QA is a demanding job. It's really not for everyone. You're going to work long hours at pretty repetitive tasks and it will be hard to find hours to work on your portfolio.

Just saying, it's QA is not a fluff job. Those guys work HARD and often long hours.
  • MagicSugar
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Just saying, it's QA is not a fluff job. Those guys work HARD and often long hours.

I don't disagree. If it's done through a 3rd party temp agency and it's off-site type of QA work, it's probably not a hot prospect.

But if it's on-site and your qa dept is included in company mixers and/or you have access to leads/ art directors I think it's a good (albeit small) opportunity to level up your portfolio. I mean, you can get 5 minute art crits even if you don't lunch with the artists. Bring an ipad or printed out folio to get your pro feedbacks. As long as you do what you're hired to do and don't pest people, I think you'll get some practical tips even earn respect to the point that they'll vouch for you when the time comes that you apply for an art position (anywhere).

Versus...applying as an outsider and your first company encounter is an hr person or non-artist. They won't give you a real crit back if they turn you down.
  • St.Sabath
    Offline / Send Message
    St.Sabath polycounter lvl 11
    Are you from the UK? if so,whereabouts do you live,if you dont mind me asking?
  • l.croxton
    Yeah I was never under any illusion that the job would be easy, infact I sort of accepted that I would hate the hours but I knew it would be for the greater good and if I could play a part in helping others with their own roles then I liked the idea of that too :).

Well I have accepted the offer for the other job so bring on the Austrailian laungage CDs :P I'm still yet to hear from the studio but I think with this 3D job I can afford/need to get a car and still have more of atleast the same money left over compared to the QA tester so it gives me that extra independence :)

Yeah Im from the midlands, I don't want to say exactly where as I dont want a freaky clown turning up ;) haha

But thanks again guys for all of your input, its been hugely helpful :) I really appreciate all of your answers, suggestions and comments! Awesome stuff!