Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

HK416

This is a high poly HK416 that I'm looking to get some crits on before transferring to a low poly. This'll be my second attempt at a hard surface model and second attempt at transferring to low poly, so any tips or advice or crits would be greatly appreciated.

HK_Test3.jpg
HK_Test2.jpg
HK_Test1.jpg

Replies

• Rang3r1
    While it is your second hard surface, there is still no excuse for not making it as accurate as possible to the real thing. If I didn't know any better I wouldn't think it was an Hk416 at first glance. I am including a ton of refs. Your edges are too sharp, you need to smooth them out, I made that mistake plenty of times and still do it. They won't translate properly onto the low.

http://www.pixagogo.com/2715654219
  • pyromania
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    The first thing I notice is that the barrel isn't inline with the chamber. I think your barrel is too high. The 416 has a larger, top rail that would bring the barrel down further than you have it.

The chamber area should not be rounded at all. Its flat and slopes to the centerline of the gun. There is a recess where the dust cover fits over the chamber. There is also a wedge at the back of the chamber to deflect spent shells.

The stock tube is way to small. It should be about the same size as the rear, rounded part of the gun. The back of the gun has a sort of upside down teardrop shape. The rear of the receiver carries the rounded form all the way through the back of the gun and into the stock tube. Not stopping at a 90 degree angle like you have.

hktest2paint.jpg
  • griffinax
    Rang3r1 wrote: »
    While it is your second hard surface, there is still no excuse for not making it as accurate as possible to the real thing. If I didn't know any better I wouldn't think it was an Hk416 at first glance. I am including a ton of refs. Your edges are too sharp, you need to smooth them out, I made that mistake plenty of times and still do it. They won't translate properly onto the low.

http://www.pixagogo.com/2715654219

:poly142:
  • PredatorGSR
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Heh, thats the downside of doing a gun as popular as this, you're gonna get your ass kicked by all the gun buffs and artists who have done it before. I suppose thats a good thing in the long run though.
  • Rufuss
    Even though its not completly accurate you've done a good job. And sometimes its better to not get too caught up in getting it accurate when your still learning.
    Id say fix as many problems as you can but dont get bored and then move on to doing the low poly.
  • Caleo
    pyromania wrote: »
    The first thing I notice is that the barrel isn't inline with the chamber. I think your barrel is too high.

Nice catch, didn't even see that myself.

Sights are also a bit off looking. Rear one seems way too low.. and with the way the optic is situated, it would be obstructed by the front sight - in this case most shooters would have a folding front sight. Also, I'm being a bit anal here but there seems to be no post (the part which you actually aim with) in the front sight.

The magazine is also a bit off. They're more uniformly curved in reality. See: http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/8461/pmag001bro8.jpg

Also, personal opinion here but I think it'd look a lot cooler with eotech optics (as seen in the image above).