Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Piping Horror

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
Starting up on the next monster, whose brief called for a sort of nightmare busker made out of second hand meat and parts. I got sign off on the sketch and am ready for inking. Hopefully it'll go faster than the lich now that I know the process and the desirable line weights.

cAZx13w.jpg

Replies

• Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    This is really messed and well done! I love it!
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
    How do you envision something like this? I'm curious if it comes naturally or if it takes a ton of practice. I feel that when I work on something I'm not sure what to draw/create unless I'm working from a concept or reference.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Muzz: Thanks man!

@Yourname942: Well he went through a series of revisions. Lots of starter concepts and regular feedback are key to beating that, 'what should I draw' uncertainty. The character was one of a couple of critters, another being a rib cage full of eyeballs and arms, and another which was a series of Dali-esk stilt legs supporting a globe skull covered in ears. Originally Piper Bo-Jangles, as I've taken to calling him, was a couple of stubby legs with a child like head and a simple bone flute, but as I worked with the client and pushed the design further based on feedback he started to become a sort of fleshy street musician. I think the order of changes went:
    Face flute
    Skull intestine hooters
    Extra leg for dancing/clapping
    Massive organic lung collection bagpipe
    And it finished with the clanking percussion bones on his dick tail thing.

As for whether or not it comes naturally I spent my childhood playing horror games and looking at fucked up artwork. It takes practice, but the essential question to ask at every stage is: Does this make me uncomfortable, and could I take it further? When the client asks for nightmares and their first text response on seeing the piece is, "Vomit" you know you've done your job.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got about 60% of the line work done. Shading is going to be a bitch with those large bubbly shapes.

iu5E5jk.jpg
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Outlines complete. Moving onto shadows:

d1Ga7Es.jpg
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Loving all of this monstrocity. Good luck on the shading!
  • mad-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mad- polycounter lvl 4
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BagelHero - Thanks man. Had some life getting in the way these past few days so it's been slow going. Only gonna have a small update tonight.

@Mad - Thanks! Hopefully I'll have more for you guys as the week goes on.

I'm gonna be really pressed on how to clearly separate the fingers of each hand, and before anyone mentions the closer arm, I totally know the line weights on those muscle lines are super shitty. I'll be working on that.

GsXev6C.jpg
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just can't seem to get away from the trap of going WAY overboard with the detail before I figure out where and how I need to dial it down. Oh well, it's a system, shitty though it may be. Still working out how to push these large rounded forms in black and white, and I've got that open stomach earmarked for a serious review. I'll probably just end up filling most of it with black and then really specifically go back and start choosing specific skin folds and bones to emphasis.

Any suggestions would be welcome as always!

wx711Fv.jpg
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Looks like you nailed it to me man. Only part that's looking a bit noisy to me at the moment is his...inner...open...pelvis area? The open boney gutty bits right above his lower-most...leg...hand. Basically looking a bit "inverted" right now, very dark, perhaps add some more white on top of that part as it seems like it would probably catch the light (from above, mostly?)

...but really, beyond that, looks awesome. :thumbup:
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    The large masses in the stomach area seem to be doing their job fine, it's just the detail of the sinew/other bits bobs and bones that's causing it to look cluttered. I think simplifying them is a good idea.

All in all, still loving this. And... are those lower hands clapping along...?
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Two Listen: You might be right about that inverted look. I'll be looking into that especially considering the direction I'm going with the update below. Having some sort of light catch there would be a good idea especially seeing as the spine swings out through there and up into the tail, it creates a little shelf there...

@Bagel Hero: Let me know what you think of the latest update. I'm trying to ease up on the detail in the arms a bit (probably not enough) to get them to pop against the relative noise of the organs. It probably needs a bit of work.

Still working on the dial back. I think I'm in the right direction (I'm always saying that) with the heavy black in the backpipe sack. and with just a few extra rim lights here and there the curvature of the forms should finally start to pop. Relatively happy overall but still have a ways to go.

zNxFUah.jpg
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think I'm about ready to call this guy done. Time to submit for feedback and make final changes:

9iKkSqp.jpg
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Nice adjustment to the spinetailshelf. :thumbup:

Turned out pretty boss, thanks for posting!
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    I was having my doubts about the filled in black, but it looks like you knew what you were doing! :)

I love all of the gruesome details, and the bold linework is lovely. Hope to see much more from you!
  • domonickb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome! Nice style
  • Cluly
  • nastobi123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
    holy crap ! Cool illustration man, also nice style !
  • Catell-Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing work! You're really a master in drawing details!