Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• breunbaer
  • Josh21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex4000 wrote: »
    Omniknight uses hammers,all the models are seprate so you have to import them all

Yeah I am aware what he uses, but people have made axes and had them accepted. I'm trying to add something new to his armory.
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh21 wrote: »
    Yeah I am aware what he uses, but people have made axes and had them accepted. I'm trying to add something new to his armory.

Im guesing you're talking about this?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=90297880&searchtext=

Its borderline as it somewhat look blunt, It was changed to just a "heavy blade" in the store aswell http://www.dota2.com/store/itemdetails/87638916, The problem with doing a sword is that it won't fit the animations and sound effects.
  • Josh21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im guesing you're talking about this?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=90297880&searchtext=

Its borderline as it somewhat look blunt, It was changed to just a "heavy blade" in the store aswell http://www.dota2.com/store/itemdetails/87638916, The problem with doing a sword is that it won't fit the animations and sound effects.

So should I stop pursuing it entirely you think? Maybe I can convert it into a hammer some how.
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's up to you to decide, you could easily change it into a hammer.
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick note: Geometry does not need to be continuous. I'm not sure I should give this away, but you need to start thinking outside the box. To create the illusion of complexity, you must layer geometry.
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pride of the Ambry set is up. Many thanks to Helenek for help with images/rigging.
    inupZ.jpg
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahoburg

I feel like the double wolverine claws are unnecessary. A single claw to balance off the shoulder element would have been enough. That way, you could add a weapon and maybe a different asymmetrical piece to his wrist. Symmetry is not your friend. Just my thoughts.;)
  • Mulkyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it possible to use portait geometry? I get an error when importing both of my smd files, but just one works fine
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SinAmos wrote: »
    Ahoburg

I feel like the double wolverine claws are unnecessary. A single claw to balance off the shoulder element would have been enough. That way, you could add a weapon and maybe a different asymmetrical piece to his wrist. Symmetry is not your friend. Just my thoughts.;)
    much easier with symmetry :) also, there's ridiculous 500 tri's limit and only one slot for both weapons.
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    500 tri limit isn't to bad. I was thinking of making something for AM but uni work is getting in the way.
  • Stefan_Martens
    I don't know if this is the right place to put this, and if it's okay with the admins.

I recently received two extra Dota2 beta keys from valve. Seeing as most of my friends already have a key, and there are probably a lot of people here who might need one, I'll give them to the first two people who PM me.

Please don't be selfish, this is meant for the people who want to make content for Dota, not an extra key, so you can play with your friends.
  • Ahoburg
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "much easier with symmetry :) also, there's ridiculous 500 tri's limit and only one slot for both weapons."

The one slot can be two different weapons. 250 to create a weapon is enough.
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    funxtt.jpgI need one of these.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    front_hood.jpg

Desert Warrior Lina. Any thoughts?
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice concept! Would look great on Lina.
  • OinkOink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    but i think item slot for lina its not available for shoulder and other.. :(
    just neck, head, arm and feet , im not sure
  • Constructor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1hyqj

Antius Magicus Cannus Notus Seeus Shitus
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OinkOink wrote: »
    but i think item slot for lina its not available for shoulder and other.. :(
    just neck, head, arm and feet , im not sure

We decided to remove the shoulders seeing as they break the silhouette to much. Its gonna be a four peice set, head, neck, arms, belt.

We've also decided to enter this into the polycount competition, you can follow our progress here.
    lina.jpg
  • Xpload
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys
    Any idea where can I find a similar PS brush?
    yivA5.png
    Looks extremely familiar but I just can't find it
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    anyone have an idea what im doing wrong with the ingame compiler?

i opened the maya file that have on the workshop site, created a cube and skinned to the weapon bones of beast master, the axe_left and axe_right and exported as fbx

but the ingame compiler says always the same
    1hFpV
  • Xpload
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make a duplicate of just axe_left/right and skin to it. Don't leave any other bones.
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    Tvidotto wrote: »

i got that issue whenever i tried to Export Selected. it started working after i used Export All instead
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

i opened the maya file that have on the workshop site, created a cube and skinned to the weapon bones of beast master, the axe_left and axe_right and exported as fbx

but the ingame compiler says always the same
    1hFpV

Did you export with the 2 bones selected? If it still doesn't work reset your pc.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you export with the 2 bones selected? If it still doesn't work reset your pc.

thanks man, Soldeus suggested the same

i discovered two problems

the compiler does not update even if you change the mesh, you need to cancel and start over

and i wasnt exporting the bone, on smd export you dont need to select the bone, for fbx you need =]

thank, now its working =]
    1hNTe
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    btw, i quit the ingame compiler and returned to the old one, much easier for my workflow
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    the compiler does not update even if you change the mesh, you need to cancel and start over
    Just rename your output filename, i use something easy, like test1...30, to test my stuff. And don't forget to clean up your content folder, because everything you compiled is still there!
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    btw, i quit the ingame compiler and returned to the old one, much easier for my workflow

You will have to submit using the in-game compiler at some point. Valve will straight up not use items submitted the old way and will ask you to resubmit using the importer.
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought I would share, even though I have that WIP thread.SBmaskShoulder1.jpg
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump wrote: »
    You will have to submit using the in-game compiler at some point. Valve will straight up not use items submitted the old way and will ask you to resubmit using the importer.

Are you referring to using the Misc option and just submitting a zip file?
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

You should make a video of you importing your items into the game. The in game compiler is very limiting, you can't move the character or test the items with the characters abilities. I have a feeling your by passing that and going straight into the game with full control.

Being able to see our creations in full action would be much better then what valve is offering at the moment. Myself and I'm sure the workshop community would deeply appreciate it if you did. :)
  • Xpload
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can find the archive that the ingame compiler creates, unrar it, replace the default items, start a game and test your items.
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should make a video of you importing your items into the game. The in game compiler is very limiting, you can't move the character or test the items with the characters abilities. I have a feeling your by passing that and going straight into the game with full control.

Being able to see our creations in full action would be much better then what valve is offering at the moment. Myself and I'm sure the workshop community would deeply appreciate it if you did. :)

Im sure a better "compiler" is on valves to do list, Id be happy with some sort of default texture option, Its not time consuming to make null textures but its annoying, also I wish you could run around cast spells etc, I think the spear I made for huskar might be way to big in game but theres no way to know(without doing all the importing etc).
  • LiselottePulva

Would be so great !
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I present, the "Spirit Slicer", Spiritbreaker needs more items. :(

637x358.resizedimage
    P3D LINK

I might make some bull-style horns tomorrow for him, I really love this character.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Mark.N wrote: »
    Are you referring to using the Misc option and just submitting a zip file?

Yes, submitting an item that was manually compiled from QC as misc is the "old way". The importer generates a lot of useful info for Valve which makes the process of implementing items much easier and faster on their end, so they want everyone to do it that way.

It's been mentioned in the thread earlier. To get your items to show up in the game and not just the importer, install the test client, take your compiled files (manual compile or the ones spit out by the importer) and rename it to the same as the default files. Then overwrite the default files and go into the game with the hero whose items you replaced.
  • breunbaer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any thoughts on my problem with normal maps i posted above? to make a long story short, my normal maps work in blender but are not used in the ingame preview. more detailed information and screenshots in my post above (page 91).
  • ArchoX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know why? Its because normal map needs high poly mesh to even do something. But you got like low poly model with really low resolution normal. So yeah, it will do nothing.
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @breunbaer - Your normal map is most likely fine, my guess would be it's the self-illum map (mask 1 alpha channel). Make sure this channel is completely black with a small bit of white painted on the canvas in an unused area. If mask channels are entirely black without the white spot, the shader may very well spit them out and not use them. As for using the DOTA shader inside of blender, there is no way to do so at the moment; the shader only works inside of dota. If you're still having issues, post your flats so we can look them over.
  • Oleg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oleg polycounter lvl 14
    Been working on a staff for Crystal Maiden , I wanted to add some particles to it. But still can't find any good tutorials for it :/
    vYVtH.jpg

EDIT : Got it in the game ! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=104450252
  • breunbaer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hm i did what u said, and changed my mask 1 and mask 2 to completly black with 1 white dot. yet ingame the result looks exactly the same.
  • ArchoX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Show us wires I think you are doing some trivial mistake or everybody is just wrong except me.
  • breunbaer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tidehunter_textures_etc_by_breunbug-d5iwzy8.jpg
    here are some more pictures. by wires u mean my smd files?
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    breunbaer - had a look at your linked pictures and the ones above, this looks like its a problem with the alpha channel on your mask files.

Make sure your saving the mask 1 and mask 2 as 32 bit .tga, that they each have an alpha channel and that the alpha has at least a little information (white dot on black will do it). Just to clarify only the alpha channel needs the black with white dot not the entire mask file.

Your color map looks great by the way :)
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New Skeleton King Crown. Horned Crown of the Ancient King. Cheers!

637x358.resizedimage
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Would be so great !

Xpload wrote: »
    You can find the archive that the ingame compiler creates, unrar it, replace the default items, start a game and test your items.
    Frump wrote: »
    Yes, submitting an item that was manually compiled from QC as misc is the "old way". The importer generates a lot of useful info for Valve which makes the process of implementing items much easier and faster on their end, so they want everyone to do it that way.

It's been mentioned in the thread earlier. To get your items to show up in the game and not just the importer, install the test client, take your compiled files (manual compile or the ones spit out by the importer) and rename it to the same as the default files. Then overwrite the default files and go into the game with the hero whose items you replaced.

if i get some spare time i will do that Helenek, i really like to help =]
    Xpload and Frump told almost everything you need to know to get the itens in game, just one thing more

after decompiling the game with gcfscape you need to rename or delete the pak01_dir.vpk file, i use to rename, and now i have a lot of backups because i do that every update

if you dont do this the game will load the files from the vpk and not from you decompiled ones

and just that, replace the files and you are good to go

just one thing to get in mind, the test client spawns randomly itens on the char, so maybe you will need to restart the game a couple times to get yours

----

guys i need to share that, im almost crying, ok, i cried a little
    1iuLC

these are the files updated on the dota test =]]]

part of that i deserve to this forum and you guys for the help

really thanks =]
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    btw, the baby roshan is insane, the animation is like it took n cafeine overdose, i loved it =]
    1ivk2
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guys i need to share that, im almost crying, ok, i cried a little
    1iuLC

these are the files updated on the dota test =]]]

part of that i deserve to this forum and you guys for the help

really thanks =]

Hell yeah!!

You did a great job on that courier. Well deserved mate :)
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Congrats man, way overdue!
    borat_great_success.jpg