Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

Looking for Internship/Work Experience (Sydney, Au)

furiouslul
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
furiouslul polycounter lvl 4
Hi guys!

I figured this might be a bit of a long shot, but thought I'd post here anyway.

I've recently started attending an academy/college studying a diploma in 3D Art (Game Development), I'm in my 4th or 5th week.

I've recently started to try and finish at least one model a day before moving on to any larger projects I have, etc while studying - and decided to look for an internship or work experience somewhere within Wollongong/Sydney. Wasn't quite sure where to start, but I've been an avid reader of these forums for quite some time now and thought I'd start here, or perhaps get any ideas/links/recommendations on where to look.

A bit about me:

I'm 26, and originally started out as a computer technician/network engineer (qualified). From there I started a web development business that I had for quite a few years - mainly back-end PHP/MySQL stuff.

I have always been interested in art, and naturally gaming - I picked up a few engines as most aspiring game developers do and messed about with silly little things, but that was more programming then anything else.

Creating 3D art is relatively new to me, I feel I'm fairly knowledgeable when it comes to different texture maps and so on - but that's about it.

I'm working hard to achieve what I want - and I'm always willing to learn (and I do every day!)

So basically, here's what I'm looking for:

Either some sort of Internship, or Work Experience (Seeing as how I don't expect to be paid, this purely for the experience and education).

My course is 2-3 days a week (online, not on campus which is handy), so it could either be a full time thing, or a couple of days (or even hours!) a week.

I recently set up an artstation account to showcase what I've done in the last few days (and will continue to)

https://jameslucas.artstation.com/

Also happy to get recommendations/references from my lecturers if that's needed as well.

Overall, I'm looking for something to put on the resume in the next 24 months, and I plan on working hard to have something to show when I've finished my degree.

That being said, if there's any advice you guys could give me, or recommendations on where to look for what I'm after, etc - I'm all ears (or eyes). I *really* appreciate your time, and I apologies if this is an inappropriate place to post this.

Edit: Silly me forgot to say what software packages I currently use and what I enjoy modelling, woops! Currently I use Autodesk Maya for majority of the work. In saying that, i really enjoy modelling props, weapons, etc.

Character art is something I havent really touched on yet (again, Im new to this) but would be open to learn, and will have to do anatomy during my course anyway (using zbrush).

Outside of college ive used packages like WM2, GeoControl, etc working on terrains which is also something I take an interest in.

Thanks!

- James.

Replies

• SimonKhan
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonKhan vertex
    [FONT=&quot]Hello there, I might have a project for you, we have been working for a moment now on this game and the biggest lack we have is on the 3D assets part. Here is the link to the presentation: http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/t/project-rift-in-the-prophecy-tactical-mmorpg/32134[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]And here is my Email address: JavaKhanstudio@Gmail.com[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Also, I think you should specify 2 important things on your presentation: Do you want to work on environment stuff like maps, crates, buidlings or more on character and animation? Maybe both? From what I [/FONT][FONT=&quot]have seen you seem to prefer object than character, but would it be something you want to try?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    Then, and this is the most important part: what software are you using? Maya? Blender? AutoDesk?
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Hope it help and[/FONT][FONT=&quot] if you have any question, fell free to ask :p[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Have a nice day x) [/FONT]
  • furiouslul
    Offline / Send Message
    furiouslul polycounter lvl 4
    Hi Simon, thanks for the reply! Ill be sure to check this out when I'm at my computer next. In regards to interests and software, I've updated my post (thanks for pointing that out too)

Currently I use Autodesk Maya for majority of the work. In saying that, I really enjoy modelling props, weapons, etc.

Character art is something I haven't really touched on yet (again, I'm new to this) but would be open to learn, and will have to do anatomy during my course anyway (using zbrush).

Outside of college i've used packages like WM2, GeoControl, etc working on terrains which is also something I take an interest in.
  • NWint
    Offline / Send Message
    NWint polycounter lvl 7
  • genesaika
    Hi,

I am working on an MMORPG and could use weapons and props models. If you might be interested send me an email at, genesaika12@gmail.com

I will be glad to give you more information in email.
  • NWint
    Offline / Send Message
    NWint polycounter lvl 7
    Good luck, hope you find something :)