Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

To The Moon Alice!

Thought I'd have this lady done in a weekend but I quickly decided to do something more complicated than normal. (And also thought she deserved her own thread as opposed to being relegated to relative obscurity in my sketch thread)

Here's my base mesh as of Sunday:

SpaceHipster.jpg
With the following changes:
• Fixed the n-gons in the face I accidentally made when I chamfered for the nose
• Added geometry in the crotch to make it rounder and no longer square
• Added a geosphere for a helmet, increased the tri count to 450ish

Possible additions (I haven't decided yet)
• Rocket Pack
• Raygun

I did a paintover of my screengrab. Here's the direction I'm going with her:
SpaceHipsterConcept.jpg

I'm planning to try something new with the texture. It's going to be diffuse-only, but I'm going to paint it from an AO map generated from a highpoly zbrush sculpt. I saw someone else do this in the Lowpoly WAYWO thread on some kind of troll/oger and I loved the result, so I want to try it myself. :)

I'm way open to crits and suggestions. There's a few things I don't know how to do (like the best way to sculpt the quilting on her uniform in Zbrush) and a few things I'm not sure about (like making the helmet with a transparency or just reversing the normals so you only see the backfacing bits).

Thanks for stopping by :D

Replies

• Pancakes
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
  • Tigerfeet
    Thanks Pancakes.

Not a very exciting shot here, but I got her unwrapped. I also added a raygun. Every space explorer needs a raygun.
    SpaceGirlUnwrapped.jpg

Then I brought her into Zbrush last night and started softening the forms.

SpaceSculpt1.jpg

I'm pretty much not happy at all with what I've got there (well, I'm reasonably satisfied with the profile view). I couldn't figure out what was wrong last night but after sleeping on it and looking at it this morning, I think it still has too much of the boxiness from the base model.

I'm working my way up subdivision levels trying to smooth out the big areas first. Any critiques or advice would be much appreciated.
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah it definitely still has hint of its low poly base. I'd also bring the stomach out just a little to get a nice little curve running through the torso. Plus looking at your paint over I'd bring down the brow as well and widen the face a little too or shrick the head down and enlarge the face.

But I'm loving the design and i'll be keeping an eye on this.
  • Tigerfeet
    Thanks DI$array, I'll definitely keep that in mind when I get back to work on it, especially the bit about the face.

PS - I love your lady batman :)
  • Tigerfeet
    Lots of pushing and pulling this weekend. I'm finally starting to get happy with the direction I'm going :)

SpaceSculpt2.jpg

Some major landmarks that I changed
    - Shrunk the head
    - Moved her knees up
    - Enlarged her ribcage
  • Tigerfeet
    Aaaand here's the results of a weekend's worth of sculpting. Lots of procrastinating because I'm really not sure how to proceed. I think I'll have to put this on hold and do some more tutorials. She needs a belt, I need to block out the seams of her space suit, I need to figure out how to make that quilted pattern.

SpaceSculpt3.jpg
  • Aga22
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    i thought you were going for some really low poly stylized stuff , like katamari damacy... if you were going for something realistic, why did you make your original mesh so low?
  • Tigerfeet
    I am going for low-poly. I'm going to use the high-res mesh to bake an AO map from which the diffuse will be painted. I know it's kind of weird, but I saw someone else use this process with amazing results and I wanted to see what kind of results I could get :)
  • Tigerfeet
    Another update on miss ladyface.

SpaceSculpt4.jpg

For the quilting texture I made my own alpha:
    QuiltAlpha2.jpg
    and applied it to an inflate brush with a strength of about 5. I ended up painting it on with drag rect and hoping and praying that it would wrap around. I had terrible problems getting it to wrap until I masked off the arm and painted the side first. Even so, the pattern gets a bit faint on the back. (you can see this effect on the arms)

If there's an easier way to sculpt with a repeating alpha on an organic surface please somebody enlighten me!

Additionally - the hood looks weird and no matter how I apply the smoothing brush I can't get those lumps to go away. It's simply an extraction from the mesh underneath, so I might just end up ditching the thing alltogether.
  • Aga22
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    her face is too flat. the jaw should not be so forward as the nose, her tits are too high and her head is too small. nice job on the quilt map.
  • Tigerfeet
    Thanks much Aga22, going to work on those :)
  • Free_Fall
    Offline / Send Message
    Free_Fall polycounter lvl 8
    is this place becoming the home of lame comments or something?
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Glad to see you are still working away at this tigerfeet. Cannot really expand upon what Aga22. The move brush will solve most of the problems. It's also losing some of its femine shape as well.
  • Tigerfeet
    Thanks! I'm noticing that the move brush is quickly becoming my most-used tool in Zbrush. It feels more like the polygon modeling I'm used to than sculpting.

Pushed some more polygons around yesterday. I tried to address the feminine shape like you mentioned Di$array, I also moved her chin in, made her head a touch larger, and moved her breasts down along with rounding them out some more.

I still have to finish the boots as well as add kneepads. After that I'm going to give her face another pass, I'm still not completely happy with it.

SpaceSculpt5.jpg
  • GabrielP
    Offline / Send Message
    GabrielP polycounter lvl 7
    The dip in the top lip is really a bit to much in my opinion, also the nasel septum goes really far down in comparison to the nostrils. Lastly, I think the chest needs some work, I really like the way you have it in the concept, but here it just looks odd.

Dig the cloth pattern, keep goin!
  • Tigerfeet
    Thanks so much GabrielP!

Allright, I baked me some AO last night on the crunchcast and started laying down some color. I've got SO much cleanup work to do on this yet, so I recognize the wip is extremely rough. Just going to keep working on it until I'm happy with what I have.

SpaceHipsterTex1.jpg
  • Tigerfeet
    Thank you eerybody for your help, I'm calling this done. Here's my final images

spacehipsterstill.jpg

spacehipsterrotate.gif

I had plans to texture a space helmet, but they didn't pan out. The top images have a 256x texture (512x texture is displayed) and the turn-around has the 512.