Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Unity] rock pack WIP

Replies

• Strkl
    Offline / Send Message
    Strkl polycounter lvl 7
    little update with a new rock !
    Rock_C_01.jpg

also, I'm uploading my rocks on P3D for fun, :)

jA5Ke.jpg

PCC1l.jpg

XsR8J.jpg

and here's a quick scene using the 2 first rock
    25x9d.jpg

And don't forget to check out the pack itself if you have time, I'll update it from time to time with another rocks ! :)
  • Fwap
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    They are some good looking rocks.
  • NAIMA
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    The rocks look nice but each of them use/needs a special texture or u did them so that share each only one?
    Most of the large environments usually need tileable textures applied on several rock shapes to save texture load and so optimization .
  • Strkl
    Offline / Send Message
    Strkl polycounter lvl 7
    NAIMA wrote: »
    The rocks look nice but each of them use/needs a special texture or u did them so that share each only one?
    Most of the large environments usually need tileable textures applied on several rock shapes to save texture load and so optimization .

Yes, of course in a game or real time environment you should use tileable texture, and in general, the small amount texture as possible.

You could use tileable texture applied onto meshes in addition to you terrain, (this is very well done in Skyrim), with some good shader it can be really neat, but in my opinion, you really need a very good shader work behind this...Uncharted 3 does this very well also

But you could also choose to add some meshes (not to much, say like 2 or 3) around you world, scaling them, rotating them to add a lot of variation...If each rock use a specific texture, it will of course add some batch & drawcalls, but you'll gain much more visual quality

There's also the posibility of using, say like one normal map for a specific rock model, giving you some nice and detailed shape, and using the terrain tileable texture for diffuse...But you could get really much more quality by sacrifing some drawcalls by using a specific diffuse instead, in the end it's all about you work philosophy and hardware and engine limitations

Of course this is depending so much on the environment you're working on :)
  • NAIMA
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    For limited levels scenes, perhaps with contained environment I guess its ok .
    In Uncharted 3 though most of the work actually used a lot of reused textures and wise tilting on the uvmapping , and of course herolike pieces that take most of the scenery attention .

But mine was not a critique , its just that I see a lot of people focus on making nice rocks , with sculpts and ad hoc texture, but not many or actually didn't see anyone focus on working on tileable texture to apply on multiple rock shapes in order to achieve the most realistic look ... I think its more difficult when you have to work with limited resources.
  • Owl
    Offline / Send Message
    Owl polycounter lvl 6
    @Naima

While what you are saying is absolutely correct and a good way to create rocks, it is definitely not out of the question is to build even large exterior spaces using custom mesh rocks. When I worked on Darksiders 2, it was our primary method of building rock faces, cliffs, and caves. It is not as optimized as using the tiling textures but can often create more interesting rock facades, because of the custom bake. And these areas can be optimized by bringing the rock meshes back into max and deleting unnecessary faces. I think some of the best results can be achieved by using a combination of both custom baked rocks and tileables. I am working on Warframe now and we have used both methods to good effect. And really it depends on what platform and engine you are using as some such as unreal do not suffer performance from heavy mesh, while others do. Not to mention the if you are developing for mobile or next Generation.
  • Strkl
    Offline / Send Message
    Strkl polycounter lvl 7
    I think everybody is right here ^^

A quick update, to let you know that I updated the pack !

http://u3d.as/content/alex-s-/rock-pack-01/5Er
  • PHRYGIAN10
    Offline / Send Message
    PHRYGIAN10 polycounter lvl 6
    I cant figure out how to export the model from zbrush with the mask as vertex colour/polypaint.

1. I mask my rock by peaks/valleys or cavity.
    2. I invert the mask and polypaint the entire model
    3. I export the obj (are there any settings i should find to include vertex colour data?)
    4. Into Xnormal, blank white map when i do the vertex col bake.

Ive opened the model in blender and i can assure it has no vertex colours.

Tried googl'ing around for this one, but im not coming up with much.

Cheers for the awesome thread :)
  • Strkl
    Offline / Send Message
    Strkl polycounter lvl 7
    Hi, first of all I didn't abandonned this thread, I'll continue soon :)

Phrygian10 : Everything you're doing is fine, it just a step 4, before baking, make sure you've unchecked "Ignore per vertex color" in the highpoly tab, to the far right (it's a bit hidden)

You can't see the high poly's vertex color in max or another software, because zbrush handles vertex color in a very peculiar way :)
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    Great tutorial! I'm going to give this a try.
    I saw that you said to keep the pebbles/ tiny rock as seperate geo, but I only saw you had one subtool. How did you mask out the tiny pebbles? I probably missed something
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Some really great looking rocks in here.

Keep rockin it...ahhh yeah rock puns!
  • Strkl
    Offline / Send Message
    Strkl polycounter lvl 7
    hey guys, thanks a lot for the Nice feedback, i'm still trying to find some time to continue this thread...

@Autocon thanks, I admire your work a lot ! :)

@iciban thanks! When You have separated geometry within one subtool, to mask only a part of geometry its easy (but it Can be tricky at first) :use the transpose tool (W) and while holding ctrl click and drag on the part You want yo mask, and then drag onto another part of the mesh(subtool), and then release!
    Its where You release your cursor wich is important, tell me if it isgiving You trouble, ill make a vid
  • Strkl
    Offline / Send Message
    Strkl polycounter lvl 7
    Iciban wrote: »
    Great tutorial! I'm going to give this a try.
    I saw that you said to keep the pebbles/ tiny rock as seperate geo, but I only saw you had one subtool. How did you mask out the tiny pebbles? I probably missed something

I replied juste above this message
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    Cool it totally works! big thanks! also where do you get ur alphas? I've found different kinds of alphas online, but I wasn't able to achieve the look you have on your vid.
  • Strkl
    Offline / Send Message
    Strkl polycounter lvl 7
    Iciban wrote: »
    Cool it totally works! big thanks! also where do you get ur alphas? I've found different kinds of alphas online, but I wasn't able to achieve the look you have on your vid.

There is a huge library of alpha here http://pixologic.com/zbrush/downloadcenter/alpha/

(I don't understand why there isn't more of these included with zbrush because they're awesome)

My favorite one is this one ! :)http://download.pixologic01.com/download.php?f=/library/alphas/mokthemagicman/rocks/sw_rocksandcracks_46.zip
  • blackdragonstory
  • Andaya
    Many thanks Strkl! Very useful techniques I really appreciate a lot. It will be a pleasure if you carry on sharing knowledge in the near future.
  • Strkl
    Offline / Send Message
    Strkl polycounter lvl 7
    Gald you learned something !

I hope to be able to share some other stuff next time :)
  • MMGiles
    Offline / Send Message
    MMGiles polycounter lvl 4
    Hi i was wondering if you possibly like to share your alphas you used in the tutorials as they looked awesome
  • Strkl
    Offline / Send Message
    Strkl polycounter lvl 7
    BOOuGOON wrote: »
    Hi i was wondering if you possibly like to share your alphas you used in the tutorials as they looked awesome

hi, In the video I give the link,

you can find them on the zbrush website under the rock section ! :)

http://pixologic.com/zbrush/downloadcenter/alpha/
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    You may wanna try to drop your tools on the 2.5D canvas instead, at least for a first pass. It's easier since the canvas can be tiled. Maybe you know that already, but if you hold tiled key (on an american keyboard, it's "
  • Strkl
    Offline / Send Message
    Strkl polycounter lvl 7
    Yes I knew that but thanks !

I do 2.5D for tileable texture sometimes, but when I really want full control, even if it's a bit more pain a prefer staying in 3D ^^
  • mad-
    Offline / Send Message
    mad- polycounter lvl 4
  • killnpc
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    these rocks look solid
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm just gonna echo this since I guess you stopped reading? ;)
    sltrOlsson wrote: »

Something else you can avoid is the black lines in your zgrabs. This is the solution
    • Drop your tiling tool on your 2*2k canvas and center it. Leave edit mode by pressing "T"
    • Render with the "best" option in the renderer.
    • Pick the "MRGBZgrabber" from the 2.5D section of "Tools"
    • In the tools settings (modifiers), turn off "Auto Crop"
    • Drag you "selection" over the rendered canvas and export.
    • (if you want to change material or color, choose the SimpleBrush and turn of Zadd but leave Mrgb on. Pick you material and the paint your canvas with the new material.)
  • Strkl
    Offline / Send Message
    Strkl polycounter lvl 7
    Oh my, sorry I thought i commented That ! Yes I dont have problem with the border now using this method, I didnt know this trick then ^^
    You Can also check "best" in the render setting to avoid some border zbrush creates
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, for some reason the lines appears in all render modes except best..
  • redcap
    Offline / Send Message
    redcap polycounter lvl 11
    Wow, I am so glad I stumbled onto this thread, I have learned a ton from you. Thank you so much.

I am curious what kind of alpha you are using with your trim brush. It is obviously custom, any suggestions on what kind of alphas work well with the trim border and which don't. I have played around with a few of my own, but they never get as high quality of effect as yours.
  • josh_lynch
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Just found this thread. Very inspirational and thank you for sharing your methods via those tutorials! Cant wait to see more of your work!
  • Strkl
    Offline / Send Message
    Strkl polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks josh !
    redcap wrote: »
    Wow, I am so glad I stumbled onto this thread, I have learned a ton from you. Thank you so much.

I am curious what kind of alpha you are using with your trim brush. It is obviously custom, any suggestions on what kind of alphas work well with the trim border and which don't. I have played around with a few of my own, but they never get as high quality of effect as yours.

Thanks for the kind words

For the good brush to use with Trim brush, I like alpha wich are really like one big block (without a lot of "holes" in the center", but with some noise on the edges. My favorite is actually this one !
    se8tD.jpg

Here is the link https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46909260/SW_RocksandCracks_46.PSD

(It's can be found on the zbrush website also)
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Offline / Send Message
    Rafferty_Eggleston polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome work! Thanks for sharing the workflow! :D
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    thanks for sharing your workflow! Really like people
    giving up there free time to teach something!
  • gloriousczar
    Offline / Send Message
    gloriousczar polycounter lvl 6
    Hey this tut is awesome! thanks for taking the time to do these videos, what normal map material did you use in Zbrush to capture that tiling rock texture? It didn't look like the defaultRGB material in Zbrush. Thanks!
  • Strkl
    Offline / Send Message
    Strkl polycounter lvl 7
    Like I said you can find it in the Zbrush website under the "Effects" Mat cap ^^

http://download.pixologic01.com/download.php?f=/library/matcap/digitaldecoy/al_normal_map.zip
  • gloriousczar
    Offline / Send Message
    gloriousczar polycounter lvl 6
    Ah sorry I must have missed that, thanks again!
  • vonBerg
    Offline / Send Message
    vonBerg polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you so much for sharing your workflow! Thanks to this tutorial I made my first rock. And succesfully got it in Unity. :)
  • NAIMA
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome tutorial, my only questione is how would you do if there where seams to deal with that are noto possibile to hide?