UE4 Experimentation.

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
Trying out Koola's ue4 technique.
https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?28163-ArchViz-Lighting

In the BaseLightmass.ini, it says:
Documentation for all of these is in UnrealLightmass/Public/SceneExport.h

Does anyone know where that is?I tried looking for it online or in the ue4 folder in the programs folder.

Replies

• melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am trying it out but it seems the white plane I am using as a reflector is blocking the directional light from entering through the window. Did he exclude the plane from the directional light?
  • kurt_hectic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kurt_hectic polycounter lvl 10
    hmm, he wrote:

"For the BaseLightmass.ini I use this values (and I almost have no idea what each value does^^ ... it's totally random)"
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was at the beginning of the thread. I think he now has a good idea of how it works. I think it's awesome he has shared how it does it so far. Thats very cool of him.
    Problem is in the scene I am working on, the reflector completely blocks out the directional light coming through the window. I am surprised nonone has asked how he does that. There must be a way to exclude the plane from the directional light.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turned out I made my reflector two sided in the material editor. If anyone has this issue, make sure ur reflector isn't two sided.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wanted to ask. Is tweaking the lightmass using the settings in the UI editor the same as changing the settings in the BaseLightmass.ini? Or they are different?
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No reply, seems like I am just asking random questions.
    Anyways, I have tried changing the parameters in the BaseLightmass.ini and when I rebuild the lighting. I do not notice any difference or does this have anything to to with the post process,or exposure settings.
    I hardly see any color bounces
  • Surfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surfa polycounter lvl 12
    I don't have a unreal licence so I can't tell you where all the files are in general but UnrealLightmass/Public/SceneExport.h is a c++ header file and so will be present in the code files provided by Epic. Check your account for access to the git repo and see if you can find this files there.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ee3322-3.jpg
    This was what I came up with. Still not as good as Koola's.
  • Roy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roy null
    any luck?? im looking for the exact same file in UnrealLightmass/Public/SceneExport.h

Most of those values are rendering related, a good way to know them is studying a little about real time rendering, i recommend you the "digital lighting and rendering" book, this will give you a really good insight about all those parameters, even when the book is meant for production rendering, it will help you a lot for realtime rendering.

The values in the baselightmass affect the quality of the shadows and the amount of reflected light, for what i see, kooola only cranked up the values beyond the ones in the "production lighting" values.

Sorry for my english.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't still found it. I have been tweaking the settings even way higher than koola's but I haven't seen much difference.
    I am using a GTX 780M with 4gb ram.

I think he also cranked up the settings of his graphics card as well. I feel there is something he is tweaking he isn't saying. I don't know to be honest.

Also,does anyone know how to exit create movie from matinee editor? The capturing using matinee continues even though in the matinee editor it is supposed to end at a particular time.
  • Surfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surfa polycounter lvl 12
    Hey guys,

I looked into the way you access the unreal source code and it is hosted up on github. Instructions on cloning or forking the branch are here.
    https://www.unrealengine.com/ue4-on-github

I haven't used the github program in a while but you should also be able to download just the one file you need, or you can just download the whole repo if you want a deeper look at the inner workings of the unreal engine.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Surfa, will check it out.
    [vv]105280361[/vv]

Made a video from ue4. Still need more practice.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think your blur is too strong. It looks really unatural and very hard to see what's going on there.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are correct.This is my second attempt. Tried to make it subtle.

[vv]105490485[/vv]
  • Macler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macler polycounter lvl 9
    Nice to see im not the only one working on this :) I like your progress, keep it up!

ML
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. If possible, feel free to post ur work.It would be nice to see what u have come up with so far.