Home Technical Talk

Computer keeps freezing

manilamerc
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
manilamerc polycounter lvl 6
my computer keeps freezing while I'm watching a video or playing a game. What could be the cause? I just bought a new computer and this keeps happening. It will make a buzzing noise too.

Please help it is very annoying

Replies

• peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    If you want some help post your Pc spec, brand-hardware-OS (Mac or Pc)...

if Pc have you checked under start --> msconfig --> startup (have everything unchecked but tray menu) ...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    The buzzing sound could possibly be a dying fan or a power cable has fallen against a fan, slowing it down. Overheating could be leading to the freeze up, since it happens when you're stressing the video card it's fan could be the culprit.
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are my specs

1CsMak9.jpg

my graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    Some more information would be nice.

Was the computer build by your own? Or did you bought it as it is? Do you still got warranty on the computer or the components?
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it was custom built by these guys at a computer store. No warranty I believe
  • MethodJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MethodJ polycounter lvl 4
    Try installing new graphics drivers. If it just crashed during games, I would think it was heat related. But since it is videos too, it sounds more like a video card issue.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Go to

Start > Event Viewer

Check the Critical and Error logs. There could be some info in there as to why your comp is freezing.
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    manilamerc wrote: »
    No warranty I believe
    Why? Every component has it´s own warranty.
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki wrote: »
    Why? Every component has it´s own warranty.

sorry maybe I do I'm just not sure. But maybe there is a simple fix I'm not sure where it is coming from. I may need a new graphic card. I play the videos on youtube and ign.com and both freeze up. Both sites use a different video player.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You also may want to install Motherboard Monitor to check your temperature and maybe voltage.

+1 to Justins suggestion about something brushing a fan. Where does this buzzing come from?

Did you buy the computer new or used? Have you had it for a while, has it worked normally or has it always had problems?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    manilamerc wrote: »
    it was custom built by these guys at a computer store. No warranty I believe

Most places have a warranty on their work, if you bought it recently you should call them and see if you can get free repair. If it always freezes whenever you play a game or a video it should be easy for them to troubleshoot, they will probably just swap your video card out and see if the same thing happens. Just make sure to ask if they are going to do a complete whipe & reinstall of your system, a lot of places use that as the cure all for software issues because they end up losing money on any in depth troubleshooting.

I used to work at PC shops like that, we couldn't compete with the Dells out there on price so we instead tried to offer superior customer service. We'd do a year in shop warranty on every computer we built. So if a customer came in with a dead video card we'd swap it out in shop,get the defective card replaced from the manufacturer and put the new replacement card into into our stock.