Home Technical Talk

Multi Sub-Object Ambient Occlusion Maps Revisited

Stats:
3Ds Max, beginner, understand sub object textures and uv unwrapping to a point, but not proper AO Baking

This is my second structure ever.

End environment for model: Second Life, two tier structure, will have multiple spaces.

Thoughts:

In my search for how to create multiple AO maps based on the unwraps I created for my model I found this thread in which I had reached the same conclusion as this user.

After reading the comments in that thread I started wondering, if it is worth making one huge map and calling it a day? Yes ok I admit 10 is over kill but even if I go down to 1 wouldn't the quality be crappy? They did on my first model and I ended up detaching pieces into separate object to get diff AO maps.

Yes this is low poly, but this is also a building a user will be walking around in, with some exaggerated architecture.

What would you suggest I do? This is also for a portfolio piece (showing visual merchandising strategy etc), but I want it to look good, and what is the best way to bake maps for this?

In this workflow what is wrong here, how can I improve? Spec Bump and all that aside when the user is by one wall and it's supposed to be brick, they need to see some detail, another wall where it's concrete it'd be nice if they see the little imperfections. There will be items along these walls that a user will interact in so when zoomed in the walls need to have a decent resolution, not a quick pass by fuzzy illusion.

Excuse my crappy snaps, hopefully this will give an idea of the dimensions and walking space (50 sq meters):

Wireframe in Max:
8_zpsbd4afa8d.jpg

Viewport in Max, a third of this structure will be dipped into terrain, water will be visible in some walking areas with little bridges over them:
4_zpscbdf1c5f.jpg

Overkill materials...
3_zpsddc3df4d.jpg

Example of funky geometric wall (yes STL checked) where some mannequins will stand and a help desk:
5_zps527c8577.jpg

Shadows cast in SL:
6_zps4ab7eed2.jpg

More shadows in SL:
7_zpsb621f53a.jpg

In case you are curious about the results of my first split up (smaller) structure here is a comparison:

Skybox in Max:
1_zpsaaaddeb7.jpg

Skybox in Second Life:
2_zps728b7010.jpg