Home Technical Talk

zbrush render background noob question

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
allknighter polycounter lvl 5
hey,
ive tried many ways to get a background in zbrush. but i cant find a way to render it.
anyone?

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    What kind of background are you looking for? Just an image on the Document, a lightcap background that rotates? If you're rendering with BPR passes you can always use the mask pass to create your own backgrounds in Photoshop.
  • allknighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ive gotten comments while posting here, asking for help about a character, to post with something other than a black background.
    basically what i wanna do something about.
  • allknighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i would love an update on this...
    when i render a picture, and go to bpr passes to get a render out, no matter the background i have on my screen, in the bpr render theres a black background.
    i know its possible to change this within zbrush. just not how.
    i would love an update on this...
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    You use the "mask" pass to create an alpha mask for any pass that has a black background.
  • allknighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i am fully aware of the mask pass, but it is a lot more time consuming, if i am not going to do anything more with the picture.
    and i also feel that the shadows are off when the character gets rendered with a black background...
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    If you're using BPR Passes, then grabbing the extra mask pass is only going to take around 5 seconds to save and set up. You'll be left with complete control when compositing.

Otherwise, why bother with passes at all? If you want something completely instant, just export the document itself.

Are you looking for an image as a background, or just a different color? You can click and hold on Document: Back to use it as a color selector for the background. There are also sliders to control/remove the gradient as well.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    ...You could just grab a screencap from within Zbrush. That's a gradient from Dark grey > Light grey, which fixes what people were complaining about, and if you choose a good matcap prevents the model getting lost in the dark.