Home Technical Talk

Zbrush - Weird Brush behavior

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
adeliadesu polycounter lvl 5
Hello

I'm still fairly fresh to Zbrush and I have a lot to learn yet so far my journey with the application was easy going and i didn't experience any issues... that's until recently

Since quite some time I have noticed something weird happening and that is the brush strength changes depending on a side of the model. I really can't explain it quite well as its very confusing to me but the way it works is pretty much best shown on gifs underneath.

the moment i rotate camera, strength of brush literally cancells our, mask strenghty = 100
8d85f114ac9e030b14c668d4c614dc9e.gif

This effect might not apply to all brushes but it applies to quite few such as masking, clay buildup and few others.

I've tried to restore zbrush UI and restart the application but nothing helped the problem.

And if anyone's curious, this is a shaman staff im working on :)
b5cf75f916.jpg

Replies

• peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 18
    hhmm, whatever people say zbrush is still an experimental app. It consist of a whole lot of ideas and unintuitive process made by non-modeling techies. I can recall dozens of times when i couldn't follow a tutorial because my brush wouldn't do what was instructed only to finally work 2 days later.

My approach Is take it as it comes, if it doesn't work the first few times, put it aside and play on an other part of the model so to speak.
  • Noth
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 14
    I get something similar if my model is not symmetrical, while I'm trying to use symmetry painting. It can't quite reach the other portion of the model. Doesn't look like you're using symmetry maybe re-import it. Sorry. : /
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I had instances when I could not sculpt on the underside of the subtool with the simple brush, so I used other brushes but eventually the problem stopped. One thing you could try is to unify the meshes and then if you have to send them to an outside app then adjust the export settings in the tool dialog. I think you could even use transpose master to adjust all the subtools at once so that they stay in scale relative to each other.

I think unifying a mesh in zbrush sets it up to be at the optimal scale and position for all its functions.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Is that the feather? If you have it isolated as its own tool and the problem still persists, could you upload it somewhere?

I'm guessing that because its such a potentially thin mesh, the error might be from the tool itself. Especially if it became secretly inverted, and automasking options are in effect.

Otherwise, when the surface normal affects the strength of the brush then I would be checking the brush modifiers, automasking, and the picker settings.
  • adeliadesu
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid wrote: »
    Is that the feather? If you have it isolated as its own tool and the problem still persists, could you upload it somewhere?

I'm guessing that because its such a potentially thin mesh, the error might be from the tool itself. Especially if it became secretly inverted, and automasking options are in effect.

Otherwise, when the surface normal affects the strength of the brush then I would be checking the brush modifiers, automasking, and the picker settings.

Yes, it's the feather.

I made it as a brush and then I've put it around the staff, though now i wanted to add some details to it and I've came across this issue. I've done feathers by now but it would be nice to know what could potentially cause this glitch.
  • Treece
    Offline / Send Message
    Treece polycounter lvl 3
    Just a thought, but does changing the focal shift make a difference?
  • adeliadesu
    Offline / Send Message
    Treece wrote: »
    Just a thought, but does changing the focal shift make a difference?

Nope