Home Technical Talk

Maya UV's Texel Density

giakaama
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
giakaama polycounter lvl 9
Hi, I don't know if this was answered already, I've searched the forum for this and some results came up, but I wanted to know if there is a way to do this without plugins.

After I unwrap a piece I need to set every Island to a 256 pixel resolution. So I need something like this http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=83&t=77203 Script from Modo .

It's taking every shell and rescale them to the resolution you set.

Is there a way to do this in Maya without plugins ? I've tried Layout option but it's just doesn't give me what I need :(.

Thank you

Replies

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Layout should unify the texel density of all your shells with default settings. Personally, I use it all the time and rarely have issues. I use Layout before packing UVs. That being said, there are certain workarounds that you need to consider before performing this command:
    • Any non-frozen scale transformations may cause the Layout command to not scale shells properly, in which case you should freeze your model's transforms first.
    • Backwards-facing shells may cause Layout to malfunction
    • Improperly unwrapped shells (such as planar-projected shells that didn't have seams cut or wasn't unfolded) may also lead to poor results
    Maybe check these things and give Layout another go
  • Warheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Warheart polycounter lvl 17
    UV Deluxe provides similar functionality to the modo script you mentioned. It's just a script and doesn't depend on any plugins. Set your map size at the top, then set your density in the box that says "Pixels per cm" (under the Ratio rollout) and then select the UV shells you want to scale and hit the "Set Ratio" button.
  • giakaama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon wrote: »
    Layout should unify the texel density of all your shells with default settings. Personally, I use it all the time and rarely have issues. I use Layout before packing UVs. That being said, there are certain workarounds that you need to consider before performing this command:
    • Any non-frozen scale transformations may cause the Layout command to not scale shells properly, in which case you should freeze your model's transforms first.
    • Backwards-facing shells may cause Layout to malfunction
    • Improperly unwrapped shells (such as planar-projected shells that didn't have seams cut or wasn't unfolded) may also lead to poor results
    Maybe check these things and give Layout another go

Hello, can you put a Step by Step procedure so I can see where did I go wrong ?

Thank you
  • Noth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 15
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    giakaama wrote: »
    Hello, can you put a Step by Step procedure so I can see where did I go wrong ?

Thank you

Here is the process I tend to follow:
    1. Freeze transforms & delete history on all models for which you intend to export UVs
    2. Unfold all shells as to avoid overlapping with themselves, and with as little deformation as possible
    3. Flip any rear-facing UVs to the front (any UVs that shade red instead of blue)
    4. Select all UVs then perform the Layout with "World" set as the Prescale option (in Layout options window)
    5. All shells should now be relatively the same size. You can scale all your UVs up to check overall UV resolution against your checker pattern. Sometimes a shell or two will be slightly larger or smaller than the rest. Note that shells with extreme stretching or compression in isolated areas will affect the layout results
    6. Flip & Stack UV shells that are supposed to be mirrored or otherwise sharing UV space
    7. Scale choice UV shells up or down depending on importance/visibility on model
    8. Pack UVs into 0-1 area as usual
    9. Select all UVs, Polygons > UV Snapshot... > Choose desired X & Y resolution & save
  • giakaama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice one, I'll try it too. The thing is that with the Maya's workflow here you have to scale the shells to an appropriate size .
    The modo plugin helps me in with that. But I think I'll scale them with a fixed number after that for the rest of the models.

Thank you