Home Unity

Vertex paint in Unity

I am trying to paint textures on a really large piece of terrain for a game I am working on.
Im assuming I would need to use vertex painting as UVW mapping such large terrain pieces would be tedious.
However I cant seem to get the plugin that comes with unity called "VertexPainter" to work..the UI is confusing and I cant seem to find any documentation on it. The instructions are very very vague.
Any clue as to how to get this working?

Replies

• JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I always just paint in Blender and import the vertex colors.
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I always just paint in Blender and import the vertex colors.

Ok so how does one do that..?
    Im using 3DS Max
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    You can use the vertex paint modifier. It's pretty straightforward to use. After painting, you can just export as FBX and it should just import into Unity.

You don't mention anything about a shader, but I assume you have something set up for that.
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL wrote: »
    You can use the vertex paint modifier. It's pretty straightforward to use. After painting, you can just export as FBX and it should just import into Unity.

You don't mention anything about a shader, but I assume you have something set up for that.

So I can vertex paint in 3ds max and just import the .fbx into unity and itll magically save my texture maps? that seems way too easy (and logical) which is usually not the case for 3D art.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Well, of course your shader needs to read the vertex colors. You'll need a shader that mixes in a particular amount of a particular texture depending on the interpolated vertex color, of course. In the most common case (shaders that interpolate between four textures depending on the amount of each channel) you'll want to have each vertex be either 100% red, green, blue, or alpha. It's been a while since I've imported vertex colors from Blender but you had to do some shenanigans with Python to get the alpha to export with the other vertex colors.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    You are confusing vertex paint and texture maps.

Vertex colors live inside the vertices.

It's part of the model it's self!

(cool huh)

You can then use a shader that lets you blend textures based on the vertices RGB value.

Like this:

LaPX2.jpg

Or use it to make fakey shadows.
    Or just use vertex colors instead of textures!

bad ass!