Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] JT White - Weapon Artist

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8

Site's live. I tested it as many ways and with as many friends as I could, but the best way is polycount bombardment.

If anyone has suggestions of content to change, remove, image order, whatev's! it'd be appreciated. Or should I wait and go live with more content?

Also, any suggestions on what kind of work I should add. Should I just keep pumping out more guns, more swords, or should I add a couple vehicles?

Replies

• homrighausen3d
    Offline / Send Message
    homrighausen3d polycounter lvl 5
    Awesome stuff! The main thing that caught my attention was "weapon artist" and "360 spins" because they look offset/not aligned correctly or possibly even stretched. Those are my only complaints :).
  • St.Sabath
    Offline / Send Message
    St.Sabath polycounter lvl 11
    when i click on the first main image(MK23's),the next pic shown will be the Gibson texture flats,thus if i continue this way ill see the sheets before the actual model.i suggest to look into the code and have it reversed.

Though i would like to say,the models look good,well modeled,good material definitions.

Keep on truckin'
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah really nice work :) I don't really have any crits since I'm not that experienced with weapon-modeling, but nice work either way ^^
  • Racer445
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    the lighting is too dark on the MK23 FPS picture, i can't really see anything and it's hard to judge the asset.

the MP5 has some GREAT material separation between the metal and the plastic, though the plastic is generally lacking any sort of wear. some bright scrapes on the gloss map would look awesome here. the entire thing is also missing bigger, low frequency wear shapes.

the revolver is very very plain in comparison. if you want to keep it clean there's a lot more subtle things you could do to make it clean but interesting. sword looks fine to me, as does guitar. guitar could maybe use some more sides to round it out.

i also generally don't like that method of texture sheet presentation, since it obscures the overall picture of the textures. i'd much rather see 0.5x sized pictures of the entire maps rather than a thin slice of each. i can barely read the text on the images, they need to be brighter. there's also no reason to put program logos all over.
  • Mrpopo
    Offline / Send Message
    Mrpopo polycounter lvl 5
    The rhino and the guitar could use some specular/gloss map contrast to break up the flat surfaces, because right now the materials just look flat and in need of some lovin'.

The crystal sword would improve with some of the highlights and colour variation painted in to more prominently define the shapes in the blade (like in the concept ), Which would help to make it looks more interesting/ crystal like.

My main advice would be to keep pushing the materials, a lot of your work looks too "clean". Try adding some grime build up, or scuffs, or fingerprints in the gloss/spec, would help give your work more character.

Overall really good work though, solid portfolio so far!
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    homrighausen3d: The text alignment should be fixed now.

St.Sabath: That was probably due to looping and cursor detection, I disabled looping, so it shouldn't be an issue now.

Racer445:
    MK23: Right on, I'll work on the lighting some more.

MP5: Thanks, I'll do what I can to work the mats a bit more to see what I can do about larger low frequency wear and the bright scrapes in the gloss.

Revolver: Any suggestions on specific ideas I'm open to. I'll do what I can to rework the gloss/spec some though to help make it a little less white-bread.

Texture sheets: I was worried about that. I'll go through and redo the texture sheets as full flats @ 50%.

Mrpopo:
    I'll give the rhino some lovin'.

The sword, I plan to get back into that and match the concept a bit closer, but I had to get those other projects to a finished-enough state first.

Everyone Thanks!
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Lot of good feedback here. I'll +1 for brighter text. I really liked the layout of the site, and the content is great. It was just a pain to try and read the tris counts and maps sizes. Really cool stuff. The site functioned perfectly for me, and everything progressed in a logical order. etc

Of anything I would change, If we're talking strictly portfolio, Is the Revolver. Your portfolio as a hole would be stronger without it IMO. That said, Great tips here for how to touch it up, So theres always that route :)

Good work man! Looking forward to the next project.
  • Pedro Amorim
    People posted good comments here.
    My only advice would be to work on your uvmapping.
    Everything seems to be uniquely mapped and with a 1:1 ratio.
    The usp is particually evident where you mapped both sides of the weapons and like, the silencer is almost (if not larger) the size of the handle part. It should be smaller since its far away from camera. Or maybe just put it on its own small texture.
    Also, the padding is to big. You need to pack those uvs better :)
    All in all, good job! Just gotta look out for them wasteage in the future :)
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Nice job :)

Agreeing about using your uv space better and not a big fan of the texture presentation since you get to see so little.

I like many of your weapons, however the revolver is lacking in interest compared to the other weapons, also I would watch out for sharpening your images to much look at the pistol too see what I mean, you get that black edge all around.

I would also like to see the highpoly's, but that might be only me :)
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    You could improve your textures a lot with proper edge highlighting / drybrushing , it looks like you miss out on that concept entirely. You have good renders to cover that, still its an essential and very important part of the texturing process
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Nice work.

I only saw two models though, before I closed the site. It wasn't loading fast enough. Also, it took me a minute to figure out how to save an image.

Why have such a fancy slow layout?