Home Technical Talk

Opinions on Open Subdiv for Autodesk Products

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
sziada polycounter lvl 11
I would really like to know what everyone's opinion is on opensubdiv, I only recently saw it and I am very interested in finding out what is everyone's opinion is for this new extension.

Replies

• Klaudio2U
    Offline / Send Message
    Klaudio2U polycounter lvl 8
    I feel like they announced it and presented it like new big thing with lots of awesome looking features from adaptive subdivisions to nice creasing, great performance and everything but (in Maya) now all we have is alternative smooth option that has none those awesome features and it's not even working.

What is even worse is that Pixar themself (that use Maya) and Maya team both are working on it and yet it seems like other software packages have better opensuddiv implementation.
    It feels like feature they gave up on somewhere along the short line rather then promising future game changer(in Maya) .
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    Klaudio2U wrote: »
    I feel like they announced it and presented it like new big thing with lots of awesome looking features from adaptive subdivisions to nice creasing, great performance and everything but (in Maya) now all we have is alternative smooth option that has none those awesome features and it's not even working.

What is even worse is that Pixar themself (that use Maya) and Maya team both are working on it and yet it seems like other software packages have better opensuddiv implementation.
    It feels like feature they gave up on somewhere along the short line rather then promising future game changer(in Maya) .

I have to agree with you there, after using it for while I just gave up and went back to traditional subdiv and you're right, other packages like modo implemented it much better.
  • Steppenwolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    Creates very dense meshes and therefore not really useful for most things i do. Just slows down my PC too much. Doesn't work at all as nice as the videos made it look like. I guess it's a cool option to have for people who work a lot with cartoony not too detailed stuff.
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, I am kind of bummed about it, I thought it would be awesome, but it was a bitter disappointment, had my hopes up
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I like it, and I notice I get better results, but where Maya's default Subdivision technique happens almost instantly, OpenSubdiv almost always makes me wait a second or two before anything happens. As a result, I only use it sometimes.
  • Klaudio2U
    Offline / Send Message
    Klaudio2U polycounter lvl 8
    sziada wrote: »
    yeah, I am kind of bummed about it, I thought it would be awesome, but it was a bitter disappointment, had my hopes up

Bitter disappointment indeed. I was totally looking forward to all that promised goodies that comes with it, for example creasing + adaptive subdivisions (with Vray3.0 that supports opensubdivs) to make really nice edges, keep meshes rather low poly but looking awesome smoothed with efficient subdivisions.

But now from total excitement for me in rather short time went to indifference.
  • Farfarer
    Joopson wrote: »
    I like it, and I notice I get better results, but where Maya's default Subdivision technique happens almost instantly, OpenSubdiv almost always makes me wait a second or two before anything happens. As a result, I only use it sometimes.

Apparently that's why Modo's implementation of Pixar subdivisions is the way it is - regular OpenSubDiv is actually pretty slow for recalculating mesh changes (but really fast for rendering them after it's been recalculated).

The Pixar Subdivision system Modo has is really fast for mesh editing, but doesn't have adaptive subdivision stuff that opensubdiv does).
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, I was kinda hoping for a lot more than what it actually gave us