Home Technical Talk

Quixel Suite or Marmoset?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
james swanson polycounter lvl 5
I'm wondering if there's any sort of advantage using Marmoset versus 3Do from the Quixel suite. I'm thinking of purchasing the Quixel suite for ~130 usd, which comes with nDO, 3Do, dDo, and a Megascans starter. Whereas with Marmoset, you only get Marmoset for ~130 usd. Is there any advantage to going for Marmoset? Or should I just get the Quixel suite.

Replies

• BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Marmoset is a realtime renderer. Quixel Suite is a texturing suite.
    They're not really directly comparable. 3Do is just for seeing what you're doing while texturing, really, if I remember correctly it's a modified Unity/Skyshop setup. Marmoset is a specialty program for realtime beauty renders.
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, I'm not sure I understand. I used the Quixel suite beta, as well as a Marmoset trial, but there wasn't much of a difference between how they functioned. From Quixel's sight describing 3Do, "3DO builds upon Marmoset’s world class Image Based Lighting". Both use PBR. Both look the same. I agree that Marmoset is more focused on getting beauty shots, but you can still achieve nice shots in 3Do. So I guess I'm not sure why I'd spend 130 bucks on just the real time renderer, when I could also get dDo, nDo, and Megascans for nothing extra.

Here's a Youtube video of an artist using 3Do to render beauty shots. It looks/acts just like Marmoset.
  • JustMeSR
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    As far as I know you can't build scenes in 3DO, it's just for preview of single asset. Whereas in Marmoset can use as many objects as you want. Plus you have high range of "image scenes", you can add lights, AO, self-reflections...
  • EarthQuake
    JustMeSR wrote: »
    As far as I know you can't build scenes in 3DO, it's just for preview of single asset. Whereas in Marmoset can use as many objects as you want. Plus you have high range of "image scenes", you can add lights, AO, self-reflections...

Right, this is basically it. Marmoset Toolbag 2 is a full on scene editor where you can manage multiple assets and materials with a variety of different shader models (to match UE4, Dota 2, ansio for hair, etc), set up custom lighting (dynamic lights and IBL) and do more advanced rendering functions like screen space reflections as well.

How important the various features that Toolbag 2 offers vs what 3Do offers will depend on exactly how you're using both apps.
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, that makes a lot of sense now. Thanks