Home Technical Talk

Modo users

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
repete polycounter lvl 6
How many screens / monitors do you use with modo ?

Replies

• Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    I was using two until one died. Have yet to buy a replacement.

Pretty specific poll, any particular reason you're asking? I feel like anywhere from 2-3 will be the standard answer. When you can easily assign any part of the GUI to floating windows and set up / save custom views you're going to get a lot of use from your screen space. A pretty common use would be to have your UV editor on your main screen and the 3d view on the offhand screen. You might have scripts and kits floating around on your second screen, or the asset browser, or whatever really.
  • Farfarer
    If I'm doing plugin development, usually two, cause I can full screen the Event Log and see what I'm doing at the same time.

But mostly I use one screen for MODO, the other for ref. Occasionally I'll float some windows over there.
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 18
    I use a single 50 inch flat screen monitor, i can certainly say its big but i can imagine why some people would like 2 screens or even bigger.

You can't get enough visual ...
  • repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for your inputs :thumbup:
  • repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    As some of you know I am working on a new game art layout for modo, that's the reason for the poll. Currently rebuilding modos tabs & tools from scratch specificity for game artists. Means you will have more room to work with and all the tools & scripts will be streamlined for game art.

Here is a M-Gal sneak peek:

New UV layout:

UVtools1_zpse36ed9ad.png~original

UVtools2_zps92b2e243.png~original

Will be adding a third option so you can use a second monitor and also new UV tools once they arrive (I am waiting patently Farfarer).
  • Gheromo
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    Keep up the great work, look forward to it! :)
  • igi
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    btw I accidentally voted for two monitors, I misunderstood the question. I almost always use modo in single monitor while other monitor is occupied by references/browser :poly122:

What's the purpose with popup form, it's worst way for accessibility, because once you used and dropped a tool, it needs an extra click to reach the menu again. I'd make it fixed or popup in new window like absolute scaling window.

UaEnxss.png
    I got uv windows on the right and left side of the screen. So when I need one I can reach it quickly on the right one and if I need bigger window I just enlarge the left one by dragging. I wish it can be completely collapsed to the border but it's the smallest size modo ui allows.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Also any reason you'd have the UV 3d window with a black background? Seems quite off-putting. Makes unselected verts harder to see too.
  • repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    @Bek It wont be black (too Gothic). Will be making custom backgrounds for the GL views. Once it's complete I will be posting the results for critic and what you guys want added and or removed, just getting the layouts down and rebuilding the tools.

@igi the whole idea is "space" and customisation, so there will be many options available for more customisation. Don't forget "0" on your number pad btw !

The tool bars can be accessed in 3 ways: button, hot key or shift "hot key" to open an independent tool window (handy if you have 2 screens as you can just keep them all open if you want)
  • artish
    I'm working on a 27" iMac most of the time, but I wouldn't mind a second monitor :)

@repete Looking forward to the set.
    Although I'm not much a fun of popup modals.
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually having a black background isn't bad in someway, if you're working on a prop could be good for contrast.
  • genwu
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu polycounter lvl 7
    Great thread idea, I'd love to see what you come up with for a more streamlined game-art to modo layout :)

I myself personally am using dual 27" monitors, but really always confine myself to a single monitor for working (since I usually use a tablet to work in modo).

Personally I'm more of a fan of modo's pie menus than any other form of popovers. I like how you've put the tools up top though on your uv layout as opposed to the left panel. Keep up the good work!
  • MDiamond
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    I use a dual monitor setup, but only use Modo in one of them. I'm planning to get myself a ultrawide monitor in a couple months to replace my old monitors at home.
  • Gaurav Mathur
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaurav Mathur polycounter lvl 12
    I have a dual monitor setup with modo on one monitor and Photoshop on the other.
  • repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Will be adding a "GL background preset option" for most of the GL views, means you will have a choice of presets (black if you want) and the option to add your own images.
    peanut™ wrote: »
    Actually having a black background isn't bad in someway, if you're working on a prop could be good for contrast.
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    I was just looking at this image and came to realize it ... a Uv window for Tabs, good one mate, fantastic idea.

Uv_window.jpg