Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

Location, Location, Location

Hey oh

So far the project is going to be a DM map with a steam punk style to it but we still need a location for the map.

Using photos, sketches and words post a location that you think would be brilliant place for a DM map. This will end around Sunday and a poll will quickly follow where you will get the chance to vote on some of the best ideas.

Replies

• Eltrex06
    What about steampunk version of like sleepy hollow or Salem. (resident evil 4 does also come to mind) it has a really dark feel to it but still that old world architecture (not even sure what era to call it). Small enough where the city could be the DM, but at the same time still alot of building and elements that could be added to it.

-church
    -Houses
    -town square with a statue or something
    -graveyard
    - vegetable/wheat/corn fields surrounding the town
    -classic creepy house on the hill
    -creepy forest beyond that (mark the boundary of the map)

could even do the insides of some buildings.

elsleepyhollow.jpg
  • Purplepaint
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Eltrex06 wrote: »
    What about steampunk version of like sleepy hollow or Salem. (resident evil 4 does also come to mind) it has a really dark feel to it but still that old world architecture (not even sure what era to call it). Small enough where the city could be the DM, but at the same time still alot of building and elements that could be added to it.

-church
    -Houses
    -graveyard
    -creepy forest beyond that (mark the boundary of the map)

could even do the insides of some buildings.

elsleepyhollow.jpg

Taken straight from my mouth, ill post my moodboard tomorrow hopefully during a break from class, I was thinking this or a Jack the Ripper-esk style mixed with a nightmare before christmas :)
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    steam punk arabia?
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Steam punk something original! (I like steam punk Arabia - makes me thing of turn of the century exploration and British empire stuff... but steam punk!)
  • Purplepaint
    Offline / Send Message
    29o0ett.jpg

Here is the moodboard i whipped up quite quickly, which is essentially very close to the moodboard Elextrex had posted.

Edit: to add to the images, i was thinking very twisting winding halls/ alleys with and oddly mishapen/deformed areas. If we added that with a very dark feel and of course the SteamPunk style, it could be very creepy and cool
  • mayaman
    Offline / Send Message
    mayaman polycounter lvl 10
    What about steampunk version of like sleepy hollow or Salem. (resident evil 4 does also come to mind) it has a really dark feel to it but still that old world architecture.

-church
    -Houses
    -graveyard
    -creepy forest beyond that

Uhm really not bad, it remembers me something like MediEvil 2 game, set in victorian london with a lot of steampunk styled elements. something like 1st industrial revolution.
    Steampunk brings to my mind also the nautilus submarine from the "twenty thousand leagues under the sea" Think about how could be set it all inside the nautilus..
    nautilus%20008.jpg
  • MiNTO56
    Looking good so far everyone, I personally like the nautilus submarine.

Remember this will end tomorrow and the best ideas from here will be pout up to vote... So getting posting more ideas people. :D
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    steam punk arabia?

YES! :thumbup:
  • Purplepaint
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd like to add that my idea pretty much feeds off of Eltrex06, just with a small not so cartoony but creepy twisty look :)
  • XenoKratios
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    How about something like a fortress with lush green sorroundings and waterfalls.

Many choke points as well.

Sorry I can't post pictures because I'm not on a PC but I have this website with some awesome pictures of a fortress in India. Rajput times.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tags/lohagad/interesting/

more Rajput stuff

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us%3AIE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7GGLL_en&biw=1419&bih=706&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=rajput+architecture&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
  • MiNTO56
    Hey guys going to keep this post open a wee bit longer as I would like to see some other suggestions and mood boards.

The vote will be postponed till Wednesday....
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I like steam punk, but I do feel like its getting to be really dull right now. I kinda hate the idea of Gothic steam punk because I feel like that's a mix of two horrendously played out ideas to make something totally boring and predictable. (while I'm at it: 'dark' twists on fairy-tales/childhood stories can fuck right fucking off.)

So uh, my vote would be... DEISELPUNK!
    cUAnK.jpg

The first time I heard about deiselpunk I was intrigued. There's basically not much artwork to represent it, but slam steampunk and cyberpunk together and meet them somewhere in the the middle. I would think of it as if cyberpunk was SET in the 50's-80's rather than written in the 80's.

Think heavy post industrial stuff. Main visual themes would be lots of iron and large buildings that borrow the materials from steam punk and the looks from cyberpunk, retro computer systems exaggerated in the same way that steam punk exaggerates pneumatic mail tubes and stuff.

Alot of the stuff I'm posting fly's for some reason because the three main sources of inspiration I can find are:
    >The Mortal Engines books, about giant cities on tank tracks that crawl across the wasteland eating each other. (think howls moving city). and airships.
    >Ian Mcque, a fantastic concept artist whose stuff you will have seen:http://mcqueconcept.blogspot.com/
    >Theo Prins, as above. He paints giant floating tanker ships and busy ports in the sky.

These images don't necessarily constitute a mood board, the more explain the theme.

ft9sF.jpgk70PX.jpg
    siDpu.jpg
    B4p5K.jpg
  • SaferDan
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    DeiselPunk for the win!
  • bbob
    Fuck yes, deiselpunk :D
  • MystiqueX
    Offline / Send Message
    MystiqueX polycounter lvl 7
    Love the DieselPunk look, but I have to say, except for the flying vehicles I can't see a lot of steampunk elements to it (again, I'm no expert so I may be wrong) - it does remind me a lot of the Fallout style... Hmmm... speaking about giant ships, what if we make a low gravity map where you can jump from one ship to another? We could make 1 or 2 levels for each ship so there are spaces for close combat as well as sniping nests... maybe link the ships with bridges/fallen beams or just place jumping platforms from one specific point to another... Or organize them to create a specific pattern when seen from above - something symbolic like a gear, a bio hazard sign or a skull... Just a thought
  • Brazucka
    Offline / Send Message
    Brazucka polycounter lvl 9
    Is it something like Blade Runner´s visual style?
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Yeah part of what I like about deiselpunk is that it borrows from cyber and steampunk, but I agree the steampunk influence isn't so visual there.

I think of deiselpunk as having alot of the looks of early cyberpunk, with the extrapolation of technology that steam punk has. Like instead of a steam powered iron cast walking spider you have petrol pumping steel spider with 80's CRT monitor computers impossibly running the whole thing and the look of a Transit van transformer :P

edit: I have a theory, anything is awesome, as long as we suffix 'punk' on the end. Then it's gold, pure gold!

edit2: Latinpunk! Rastapunk! Farmpunk!
  • Eltrex06
    diesel punk...... hmm that's really interesting. haven't really herd much or really anything at all about it. it does have a very fallout/gritty look about it. also remind me a little of like water world.

floating ships sounds like a pretty cool idea. Had a friend who started to create a map in a giant blimp. it was really cool from what he had finished last time i saw it.
  • mayaman
    Offline / Send Message
    mayaman polycounter lvl 10
    fearian wrote: »
    edit: I have a theory, anything is awesome, as long as we suffix 'punk' on the end. Then it's gold, pure gold!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
  • SaferDan
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    fearian wrote: »
    Yeah part of what I like about deiselpunk is that it borrows from cyber and steampunk, but I agree the steampunk influence isn't so visual there.

I think of deiselpunk as having alot of the looks of early cyberpunk, with the extrapolation of technology that steam punk has. Like instead of a steam powered iron cast walking spider you have petrol pumping steel spider with 80's CRT monitor computers impossibly running the whole thing and the look of a Transit van transformer :P

he has broken the code!
  • Shiv
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    industrial makes me hot.
  • dregoloth
    DKK wrote: »
    Diesel Punk is awesome, at least I'n my head theres so much more we can do visually with lots of rivets and steel, and grimy oily machinery. Steam Punk to me seems regal and kind of comical, where as the idea of Diesel Punk brings images of harsh imposing machinery, and some kind of dystopic future ruled by an evil regime. I like it more It sexes my head.

QFT
  • XenoKratios
    Offline / Send Message
    Would DeiselPunk be something similar to the art style of Last Exile?

I like the idea though, very grimy and gritty.
  • MiNTO56
    Diesel Punk? That actually looks supper cool....

Also more locations would be super sexy too.
  • Purplepaint
    Offline / Send Message
    Diesel Punk = more bad ass steam punk :)

I like it!
  • Eltrex06
    ok so was playing with 3 more environments for a diesel punk themed map. inspired mainly by Craig Mullins one of my favorite artists

1. a domed city like Big O, or the spirits within

2. Maybe a lava like society, uses lava to power some of their tech or maybe the culture grew up on a lava planet (thinking star wars that lava planet in the latest movie)

3. Maybe an ice world or perhaps up in the mountains someplace. could also be barren or is a craggy place like thousand needles in WOW

45278769.jpg
  • XenoKratios
    Offline / Send Message
    Shouldn't this have been decided upon yesterday?
  • MiNTO56
    This should have been decided last week but I am keeping it open wee bit longer...
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Diesel Punk Paris?

(just throwing down an idea, meant to post ages ago)
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Diesel punk sounds awesome.
  • XenoKratios
    Offline / Send Message
  • Eltrex06
    well more of a location than a style...just throwing out ideas

and hay lava punk... its unique isn't it?!?
  • MeintevdS
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Diesel punk looks awesome. I also like the idea of combining it with lava, or maybe a boiler/furnace room. Would allow some nice lighting.

Another vote for lava punk then ;)
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I'm finding it hard to imagine a lava setting- I just keep thinking of the end of Star Wars epIII!
  • Eltrex06
    lol Starwars episode 3, and t2 Judgment day were what i was thinking. also was kinda thinking of Riddick, the prison planet crematoria. just a very unforgiving dark nasty place you would avoid at all costs

i would imagine a lot of factories, foundries, geothermal plants, cat walks above the lava. could even go as far as the entire city/level is inside a mountain suspended above the lava....(hate to say it but something like Blackrock Mountain in wow, but full of technology)

edit: ohh had another thought. (going back to the steam punk) We could have a steam punk shinny wood copper look above. Floating in the sky in giant blimps or floating levels (like suggested before) and then down below we have the harsh lava world unforgiving ect.

could even go as far as having one of the blimps chained to a mountain or something allowing people to play in both worlds
  • XenoKratios
    Offline / Send Message
    level is inside a mountain suspended above the lava

could even go as far as having one of the blimps chained to a mountain or something allowing people to play in both worlds

Your first idea reminds of the level in the Transformers game on the PS2 made by ATARI where you fight megatron. That game was AMAZING!

I also love the blimp idea :).
  • Godo
    Offline / Send Message
    Godo polycounter lvl 12
    I gotta go with DieselPunk. I think of it like expanding on WWII-Vietnam era technology. All the mass-produced, stamped, riveted, early electronics. It's all cool.
  • jackalope
    Offline / Send Message
    jackalope polycounter lvl 11
    havnt posted in this thread before but thought i would submit an idea.
    A Diesel punk factory that has been overgrown by a jungle?
    just a thought
  • Purplepaint
    Offline / Send Message
    DKK wrote: »
    What's going on? Where are you MiNTO? You're kind of the de facto leader at this point. In my opinion you should get the old threads locked, and start a new thread specifically stating that it's a Diesel Punk style Deathmatch map, ask that people only post if they're committed to working on that specific project, and get everyone to do up moodboards so we can come to a consensus on graphical elements, as well as a location.

This gent speaks truth!
  • Eltrex06
    Holidays are over, new year is here, and i'm ready to get working!

also did we decide on diesel punk or is that still being thrown around?
  • Eltrex06
    i'de offer myself up in a leadership position but i've never done anything like this before. Just graduated so don't have any studio experience.

on the plus side i'm OCD so keeping things clean, neat and on a time line is what i excel at.
  • XenoKratios
    Offline / Send Message
    so........ anybody home?
  • Purplepaint
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure whats going on right now myself, haven't talked to Mint in a little bit, all i can say is wait for now.
  • havenisle
    i have a suggestion: everybody's ideas are great. instead of limiting our world to one thing, why not just GO PUNK!

Proposal One: A Victorian Downtown area built on top of a floating steampunk castle.
    Proposal Two: A Diesel Punk Midworld comprised of tree houses, airplanes, and blimps.
    Proposal Three: A Jungle-Desert Punk lower world comprised of tiki huts and reverse parachutes that can catapult you up to the castle.

There's no need to limit ourselves- just come up with a dynamic, such as.. uh, a doorway should be six feet wide and seven feet tall. Characters need to be 600 triangles or less. Allow 10 foot of clearance for vehicles.

Am i wrong? Am I the only one who cares about the rules?
  • NoctyQ
    I think there's a decision to make whether we should continue waiting for Minto or try to reorganize the collaboration. It's quite obvious that this doesn't work.

Minto hasn't been online for a month and regardless of if he's on vacation or not I think it would have been nice if he gave us a heads up. It's quite obvious that he must have known this in advance.

I don't really know how many people that is interested in starting the collaboration but I hope that it's enough to continue?! :poly142:

Would like some input and thoughts regarding how we should carry on from here.
  • NutShulseNeer
  • NoctyQ
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    yes someone else should be appointed fast. I would vote for myself to organize this since I come here like every 5 minutes and love you guys and have some experience managing projects.
    :thumbup: I agree. Get to work on it! You seem to be a trustworthy guy.
    I don't really think there's anything wrong if you won't be able to revive the collab since it's been dead for so long but maybe all it needs is a little push.

We could probably scrap the older threads since we've already agreed on most of the stuff for the collab, like style and art direction. But you will of course decide on what you find fitting for the project.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I contacted mint about taking an Art Director role but I've never heard back. I'm a bit iffy about taking that mantel right now because Dom War is starting in about a month and I was thinking of participating.
  • NoctyQ
    You guys are awesome, I'm looking forward to see this collab continued!
    If you need any help with anything regarding anything I'm here.

I think there's a lot of people that is psyched to be able to get to work on this collab, all that is needed is a strong core that is able to allocate the workload and requirements.
  • Harry
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    i'm not part of this project, but i feel like people are misinterpreting diesel punk.
    Admittedly, the talk of computer screens and grittiness of course puts interesting images in the mind but one must ask what separates this interpretation from dystopian cyberpunk.
    When we're talking about the dieselpunk aesthetic, the images and concepts unique to that subgenre are the technology and aesthetics of the interwar period, of course with a lot of imagination so long as the imagination doesn't violate the unique visual style and analagous real-world "epoch" of dieselpunk.

I don't mean to say there's a correct or incorrect way to do things, but dieselpunk as a genre is quite interesting and relatively unexplored, and to get the most out of it you should make great efforts to understand it's inspiration and historical context so you can become "fluent" in creating designs within this style. TV screens and anything beyond tabulation machines as computers raise alarm bells for me, and start wandering into a territory indistinguishable from so-called cyberpunk, particularly dystopian style.

The reason people chose to approach dieselpunk as a "new" thing of its own is that, like the industrial revolution inspiring steampunk, and the hypothetical futurte convergence of human and machine (resulting in a similar "renaissance" of technology) inspired cyberpunk, the interwar period was a very turbulent, progressive and experimental period.

As people are always saying, very many extremely novel technologies including aircraft, zeppelins (note, not hot air balloons,) combustion engines in a wider sense, tanks, machineguns, had all very recently earned their place as tools deciding the fate of the world - and now that industry in europe wasnt totally dedicated to not getting the shit bombed out of you, people started experimenting and "peacefully" perfecting these technologies, before world war two when standardisation and mass production took over in the defence of the participating nations.
    So if you take a look at interwar period (20s-30s) technology you'll see an absolute shitload of variation - tanks with 3 turrets, "midget" tanks, strange, impractical weapons designed in the hundreds with no way to test their effectivity and ease of mass production in a war (the effect of which would usually kill off much of the crazy variation and leave us with the most efficient designs) Transitional aircraft, like the obsolete concept of the biplane being covered in modern aluminium sheets, early implementations of electonic gunlaying devices, blimps with big-ass rotary engines in them, etc etc etc.

if you look around at military and civil machinery from this period you should start to get images of things which are outdated today but cutting edge at the time; coil spring suspension, hydraulics, heavy, bolted sheets of steel, awkward, impractically complex and un-graceful designs, aluminium bodied aircraft, and heaps and heaps and heaps of common carburettor/crankcase/cylinder type designs.

To properly explore the genre it's best to get an idea of it in its most pure, extreme, and limited (and arguably unique) form. Submarine ship and engine rooms, tank and armoured car prototypes, early self loading rifles, multi engined aircraft and floatplanes, zeppelins (remember, rigid zeppelins. globe-type hot air balloon looking things are much more towards steampunk) And anything else from the period made from an obscene amount of steel and heavy machinery.

Oh and whenever you find yourself saying something like "omg no computers? we need that artistic licence to justify x y and z." - Try to actually research the period a little, if you lack some technology or concept which would violate the setting, after searching a little, you might just find that while they didnt have computers, they had other things instead, which, when researched, can put much more out-of-the-ordinary and unexplored ideas in your head.
    RESEARCH.

Idk if that got out of hand but i hope it helps some people with ideas if this thing is even still going.