Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Starcofski
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    i did some tests today with the lonedruids spirit bear cloth, only thing that i need to learn now is were i define to load the cloth file, but with a char that already have a cloth its just a matter of tweaking the existing file

any clue about that?

Spirit Bear is the summoned bear right? If you look at the Tech Specs page (http://dota2.com/workshop/requirements/Lone_Druid) you can see that it's a separate item submission slot. You'll want to use/modify the .cloth for that item.

Else, you have to export the contents of the base hero model and see if the cloth file is hidden in there. I doubt it is though, as that would be poor asset management and allocation.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Starcofski wrote: »
    Spirit Bear is the summoned bear right? If you look at the Tech Specs page (http://dota2.com/workshop/requirements/Lone_Druid) you can see that it's a separate item submission slot. You'll want to use/modify the .cloth for that item.

Else, you have to export the contents of the base hero model and see if the cloth file is hidden in there. I doubt it is though, as that would be poor asset management and allocation.

my doubt is not that, is how i create a cloth to hero that doesnt have, where i define that it will use cloth and the cloth file path
  • ArchoX
    plundh wrote: »
    I'm trying to compile the model files so that I can preview them in-game in the test client. I'm using the files outputted by the workshop.

Does anybody know how to change the .qc file so that the resulting .mdl points to the right textures? I tried adding $cdmaterials after reading the Valve dev wiki, but that didn't work. The models show up with no texture.

Using the standard workshop .qc:

DeU6D.jpg

Any help greatly appreciated!

Copy your vtf file to the dota 2 test and change their VMT file.
    It should look like this:
    CustomHero
    {
    $baseTexture "models/heroes/kunkka/kunkka_tidebringer_color"
    $normalmap "models/heroes/kunkka/kunkka_tidebringer_normal"
    $maskmap1 "models/heroes/kunkka/kunkka_tidebringer_masks1"
    $maskmap2 "models/heroes/kunkka/kunkka_tidebringer_masks2"
    $detail1 "models/heroes/kunkka/kunkka_waves"
    $SPECULAREXPONENT 12
    $SPECULARSCALE 64

Its for kunkka.
    If you using MDL file from the dota 2 preview it got bad paths so you should change it so it looks almost same as their MDL.
  • Mark.N
    my doubt is not that, is how i create a cloth to hero that doesnt have, where i define that it will use cloth and the cloth file path

Nah the cloth file is located in the lone_druid model folder. It's never hidden. Assuming you don't change any of the bone structure on a hero that already uses cloth then yes, all you need to do is modify the .cloth file and rig your item appropriately. It's when you need to add new bones to the rig that things get complicated.

There is no explicit way to define loading a .cloth file for a hero. It just needs to be in their dota/models/heroes/<hero> folder, have all the proper bones, and have a base model with the proper skeleton (that last part is the trick). Adding new bones requires that you re-compile a hero's base model, re-writing their .qc file in the process to support the new content.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Mark.N wrote: »
    Nah the cloth file is located in the lone_druid model folder. It's never hidden. Assuming you don't change any of the bone structure on a hero that already uses cloth then yes, all you need to do is modify the .cloth file and rig your item appropriately. It's when you need to add new bones to the rig that things get complicated.

There is no explicit way to define loading a .cloth file for a hero. It just needs to be in their dota/models/heroes/<hero> folder, have all the proper bones, and have a base model with the proper skeleton (that last part is the trick). Adding new bones requires that you re-compile a hero's base model, re-writing their .qc file in the process to support the new content.

So is just a matter of having a .cloth file on the folder with matching name? i dont need to define it on the qc file? that is really smart from valve =]
  • Mark.N
    So is just a matter of having a .cloth file on the folder with matching name? i dont need to define it on the qc file? that is really smart from valve =]

Correct. Only the skeletal structure needs to be defined explicitly within the .QC
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Mark.N wrote: »
    Correct. Only the skeletal structure needs to be defined explicitly within the .QC

awesome info, thanks =]

i will test that later
  • Kamaki
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamaki polycounter lvl 6
    Heya guys, does anyone know why this is happening to me?

B8pgH.jpg

Does transparency show through in the little in-game compiler thing?
    I'm pretty sure Drow has transparency due to her cape.
  • plundh
    ArchoX wrote: »
    Copy your vtf file to the dota 2 test and change their VMT file.
    It should look like this:
    CustomHero
    {
    $baseTexture "models/heroes/kunkka/kunkka_tidebringer_color"
    $normalmap "models/heroes/kunkka/kunkka_tidebringer_normal"
    $maskmap1 "models/heroes/kunkka/kunkka_tidebringer_masks1"
    $maskmap2 "models/heroes/kunkka/kunkka_tidebringer_masks2"
    $detail1 "models/heroes/kunkka/kunkka_waves"
    $SPECULAREXPONENT 12
    $SPECULARSCALE 64

Its for kunkka.
    If you using MDL file from the dota 2 preview it got bad paths so you should change it so it looks almost same as their MDL.
    The .vmt files are alright, and I get the same result with default material files, so I'm pretty sure the paths in the MDL is to blame like you mention.

The question is how do I change the paths? Is there another way besides compiling it again?

Here's what's in the MDL: The top path seems correct, but there's one on the bottom that's still off. I'm not sure what to add to the .qc to change that one, or if there's another way to edit the .mdl directly?
    IDST1 ‰fheroes/skeleton_king/skeleton_king_weapon.mdl T \ߊB–ñ4Â>•ÑBD¿Á—ñ´ÂŽIDBE×C °6ۂ C
    ˜ ì h € À È h
    h
    h
    ‹ Ì €? € \ € à ˜ Ì 4
    Å

[REMOVED ALL THE CRAP IN THE MIDDLE]...

€; €; €; €; €; €; €; €; €; €; €; €; €; €; €; €; €; €; €; €; €; €; €; €; €; €; €; €; €; €;mI7mI8mI8mI7mI7mI7mI7mI7mI7mI7mI7mI7mI7mI7mI7mI7mI7mI7mI7mI7mI7mI7mI7mI7mI7mI7mI7mI7mI7mI7 heroes/skeleton_king/skeleton_king_weapon.mdl default Root_0 Spine_0 Spine_1 Spine_2 Spine_3 clavicle_R bicep_R elbow_R wrist_R weapon0_0 @ref ref models\items\skeleton_king\0x034197ca\sword\sword

Running MDLTextureInfo gives me this:
    8NEDq.jpg

Thanks!
  • plundh
    Kamaki wrote: »

B8pgH.jpg

According to this she doesn't: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1690681&postcount=242
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message

B8pgH.jpg

copy and paste your vmt file here
  • Kamaki
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamaki polycounter lvl 6
    That is mighty depressing. Guess I'll have to spruce up the texture since it's gonna be a square scarf now!
    copy and paste your vmt file here
    Ummm, can I do that if I just used the in game compiler?
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    That is mighty depressing. Guess I'll have to spruce up the texture since it's gonna be a square scarf now!

Ummm, can I do that if I just used the in game compiler?

yep, the vmt file is the shader of the model, it is on the material/models/heroes/drow folder

there you can see if it have or not the line that defines if it uses the transparency or not
  • ArchoX
    The .vmt files are alright, and I get the same result with default material files, so I'm pretty sure the paths in the MDL is to blame like you mention.

The question is how do I change the paths? Is there another way besides compiling it again?

Here's what's in the MDL: The top path seems correct, but there's one on the bottom that's still off. I'm not sure what to add to the .qc to change that one, or if there's another way to edit the .mdl directly?

Running MDLTextureInfo gives me this:
    8NEDq.jpg

Thanks!

As I said earlier, I was not trying to get my item to game client almost month but If I remembered correctly I make my OWN mdl file with the SMDS which you used to test the preview with their QC file but changed. And another thing, try to start the QC compile in the dota2 test files. Not in some desktop file. Another thing, if you are using 3dsmax open the SMD file and like add material to the object and then add the diffuse saved as BMP and name it as the texture which will it use.("kunkka_tidebringer_color.bmp"). If any of this will not work post the QC file too. I will look into it.

PS: Oh the path for the model looks good. So its just the texture. Did you append some texture to your item when you exported it?

PS2: Now I remember. It always did not work for me but then I add one line of text which looked like a comment because it had / at the begin.

PS3: Ok this is how my QC file looked before the compilling:
    $upaxis Y

$modelname "heroes/kunkka/sword.mdl"

$surfaceprop "default"

$cdmaterials "models\heroes\kunkka"
    // Model uses material "models/heroes/kunkka/kunkka_tidebringer_color.vmt"

$bodygroup "default"
    {
    studio "123.SMD"
    }

$lod 1
    {
    replacemodel 123.SMD 333.smd
    }

$sequence "ref" "123.SMD"

I used recuva to recover it. Great program I must say.
  • Ex4000
    Looks like Dark Seer is gonna be the next hero to be put up, Still hoping to make something for Disruptor even after that last failure.
  • plundh
    ArchoX wrote: »
    As I said earlier, I was not trying to get my item to game client almost month but If I remembered correctly I make my OWN mdl file with the SMDS which you used to test the preview with their QC file but changed. And another thing, try to start the QC compile in the dota2 test files. Not in some desktop file. Another thing, if you are using 3dsmax open the SMD file and like add material to the object and then add the diffuse saved as BMP and name it as the texture which will it use.("kunkka_tidebringer_color.bmp"). If any of this will not work post the QC file too. I will look into it.

PS: Oh the path for the model looks good. So its just the texture. Did you append some texture to your item when you exported it?

PS2: Now I remember. It always did not work for me but then I add one line of text which looked like a comment because it had / at the begin.

PS3: Ok this is how my QC file looked before the compilling:
    $upaxis Y

$modelname "heroes/kunkka/sword.mdl"

$surfaceprop "default"

$cdmaterials "models\heroes\kunkka"
    // Model uses material "models/heroes/kunkka/kunkka_tidebringer_color.vmt"

$bodygroup "default"
    {
    studio "123.SMD"
    }

$lod 1
    {
    replacemodel 123.SMD 333.smd
    }

$sequence "ref" "123.SMD"

I used recuva to recover it. Great program I must say.

Thanks a bunch for helping out, however even with your .qc setup I couldn't get it to work.

In the end I stumbled over this nifty app that let's you change the texture name in .mdl files. That did the trick. It works now!
  • Endzeit
    Offline / Send Message
    Endzeit polycounter lvl 10
    Hey fellas,
    I have a problem, my item is floating in several poses like BindPose or Idle.
    In portrait however its fine and looks like it should.
    The Item is attached to one single bone (the others deform too much).
    I want the model to stay like in Portrait mode but i dont know how.

Here's a pic:
    l6dHK.png
  • ArchoX
    Thanks a bunch for helping out, however even with your .qc setup I couldn't get it to work.

In the end I stumbled over this nifty app that let's you change the texture name in .mdl files. That did the trick. It works now!

Yes the problem was totally on the material appended to the object.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Endzeit wrote: »
    Hey fellas,
    I have a problem, my item is floating in several poses like BindPose or Idle.
    In portrait however its fine and looks like it should.
    The Item is attached to one single bone (the others deform too much).
    I want the model to stay like in Portrait mode but i dont know how.

Here's a pic:
    l6dHK.png

apparently is the bone that you attached the problem

exagerating just for the example, but if you attach to the leg and change the animation the item will move from the neck right?

apparentlly you bound to the chest bone, and its in different places on the 2 animations
  • AndrewHelenek
  • Tvidotto
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    awesome =]

Thanks, I wish I could get the morphers working in her face so I can give her some expression. :/

I'm going to see if can get them working tomorrow.
  • PoPcorn
    I swear I've read about this already, but I'm having trouble finding where I read it.

when making items for characters, do we need to stick to their current color schemes?
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    PoPcorn wrote: »
    I swear I've read about this already, but I'm having trouble finding where I read it.

when making items for characters, do we need to stick to their current color schemes?

Art Guide

Texture Guide

Other helpful stuffs

Cheers!
  • Stanzyixuan
    need some help here
    was try to test my weapon in dota2
    but after I export out as .SMD/.FBX
    it just show me cannot find the bone

Im using XSI with valve source plugin->SMD n crosswalk for FBX
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I wish I could get the morphers working in her face so I can give her some expression. :/

I'm going to see if can get them working tomorrow.

they are called flex on the source, search for it in the wiki =]
  • solarcow16
    Offline / Send Message
    solarcow16 polycounter lvl 7
    I love that shield. Noice.
  • Starcofski
    @Stanzyixuan You need to export the bone the weapon is attached to as well.

On a happy note; I think I'll make a tiara for Puck once he/she/it finishes optimization. I'm thinking something along the lines of frosted crystal...

Sad note is I feel like I should duck out of the contest because I can't execute on my concept due to current technical limitations.
  • Skiffy
    Offline / Send Message
    Skiffy polycounter lvl 15
    Good day everyone,

I've been looking into the pricing and rarity of items found in the Dota2 Store. This has left me with a few questions relating to the final price and Rarity assigned to each item.

Price vs Rarity don't match up. You would expect an expensive item to fall in the rare category but I have seen both expensive common items and cheap rare items.

Setting the price for items? Is this done by the artist uploading their work or a discussion with Valve on what value they think its worth?

If somebody could shed some light on this I would be most grateful.

Regards and have a great day!

UPDATE

Ok so I found the legal agreement.. :P

So to sum it up you get 25 percent of the item sale. And from what I have read Valve is the one that sets the price for said item. At least that is what it looks like.
  • bn20
    Is it possible to move the particle effect on slardar?

orWBq.png
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    bn20 wrote: »
    Is it possible to move the particle effect on slardar?

orWBq.png

probably, check the .qc file of sladar, you will need to decompile the model to get the qc

but if the particles is attached the the model and not to the item you are replacing that will not work in game because you cant modfy the base model
  • Starcofski
    @bn20 @ Tvidotto: It is impossible (currently) to remove or add particle effects without modifying both the npc_heroname.pcf and the npc manifest (which just disappeared from my installation; probably got patched.

So to simplify; all particles on heroes currently cannot be modified, as their coding is considered part of the base hero. We need valve to separate this, and have particles be attached to the items themselves, otherwise we cannot add any of our own.

TL;DR: Particle effects are currently part of the core hero and cannot be altered/added/removed.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Starcofski wrote: »
    @bn20 @ Tvidotto: It is impossible (currently) to remove or add particle effects without modifying both the npc_heroname.pcf and the npc manifest (which just disappeared from my installation; probably got patched.

So to simplify; all particles on heroes currently cannot be modified, as their coding is considered part of the base hero. We need valve to separate this, and have particles be attached to the items themselves, otherwise we cannot add any of our own.

TL;DR: Particle effects are currently part of the core hero and cannot be altered/added/removed.

but he said "move" the particles

the particles are parented to an attachment that is parented to a bone and most of the times with some offset, to relocate it is just a matter of changing its position on the qc file

about removing or creating you are right, we cant =]
  • refraction
    Offline / Send Message
    refraction polycounter lvl 10
    apparently is the bone that you attached the problem

exagerating just for the example, but if you attach to the leg and change the animation the item will move from the neck right?

apparentlly you bound to the chest bone, and its in different places on the 2 animations

I'm having the same type of problem with geo floating. I've tried binding to a couple different bones, tried centering pivot, exporting with and without the bones selected.. I'm not sure what else to try..

Are there any specific steps I have to make sure to do in maya before exporting to FBX?

wHBjT.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    refraction wrote: »
    I'm having the same type of problem with geo floating. I've tried binding to a couple different bones, tried centering pivot, exporting with and without the bones selected.. I'm not sure what else to try..

Are there any specific steps I have to make sure to do in maya before exporting to FBX?

wHBjT.jpg

its is following the head during the animations or is just frozen in the same place?
  • refraction
    Offline / Send Message
    its is following the head during the animations or is just frozen in the same place?

It does move with some animations, but seems like it's following something in his torso more? Here's his stun, head is looking straight up but horns don't follow..

I've been trying exporter options etc and nothing has had an effect so far.. I'm going to try parenting the original horns geo and seeing if I can get something going from that. Really appreciate the response btw! :)

Edit - Also checked what the original horns are skinned to with the paint weights tool, they're only bound to the same 'head' bone that I'm binding to.

2ph1F.jpg
  • AcidBurn3r
    Hey there guys, i recently started modelling and texturing a new item for juggernaut. Its a silver based katana and will shine white, ingame. Anyone gonna help me compile it to ingame? Would heavily appreciate it.
    408108_4842429227960_263435312_n.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    refraction wrote: »
    It does move with some animations, but seems like it's following something in his torso more? Here's his stun, head is looking straight up but horns don't follow..

I've been trying exporter options etc and nothing has had an effect so far.. I'm going to try parenting the original horns geo and seeing if I can get something going from that. Really appreciate the response btw! :)

Edit - Also checked what the original horns are skinned to with the paint weights tool, they're only bound to the same 'head' bone that I'm binding to.

2ph1F.jpg

ok, its moves like its parented to the head? maybe you just positioned it wrong before exporting

some of the model have mismatching scales depending when and where you got them
  • refraction
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, its moves like its parented to the head? maybe you just positioned it wrong before exporting

some of the model have mismatching scales depending when and where you got them

Actually, got this working! I had been trying to bind it to the rig in the .ma file, but I tried opening just the rikimaru_head.fbx and after freeze/delete history/bind in that, the export... just worked? I made sure to make a different filename when submitting to the in game compiler and it was fine. Horns followed the head perfectly etc.. So I think something is amiss with the .ma file .. Hope this helps someone in the future!

Thanks for your help though, definitely appreciate it since this is my first crack at source :)

Edit - Original problem is it was moving like it was bound to the root bone or something and not picking up the bones it was bound to at all.. try the .FBX file instead of the .MA when doing your rigging :)

ftrDQ.jpg
  • ArchoX
    73rFE.jpg

The shape of it, good or bad? Is bladehead too big or too small? Worth it or not? The texture is just for test, it doenst have normal map nor masks. If you give me the approval I will throw it right into Zbrush so the model can really change a lot because this is just the base mesh.
  • Mulkyz
    Hey all

Working on my Nyx set for the contest. I'm having trouble trying to match the mask1 and mask2 textures to the original so that my set will fit with the old stuff

Here's the weapons in-game:
    0t8IF.jpg
    I've made sure that the values are quite close to the original, but for some reason the whole thing looks 'wet', any ideas?

Thanks

Edit: Found the answer to my own question - metalness (blue channel in mask1) and specular intensity (red channel in mask2) together create ridiculous amounts of shine. My spec intensity was way too bright on the armor part of my weapons, which combined with the metalness made it look wet
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Just submitted my polycount contest set, check it out and vote if you like it! a lot of really cool sets out there already, good luck to everyone.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197999906386/myworkshopfiles/?appid=570

FullItem_Set.jpg
    Armor_front_thumb.jpg
  • refraction
    Offline / Send Message
    My entry for Riki is submitted! This was a really fun contest for me, I've never made anything for source before :) I was at the DOTA2 internationals in Seattle and it was intense! Can't wait till it's out of beta :)

Here's my items: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198068961138/myworkshopfiles?appid=570

1vLuo.jpg

yJXru.jpg

4fEW4.jpg
  • Ahoburg
    Looking for a guy or gal who can draw concept art to collaborate on a set or two :D pm me, if you interested.
  • Nuclear Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Hi guys, I got a problem with importing my FBX in to Dota 2, it says the following:

Couldn't find any bones in the wearable that correspond to bones in the hero model. Wearable items must be skinned to the hero's bones to be submitted.

But I have skinned my model, so I wonder if you guys have any clue that could be a cause of this. I skinned my model too the Original FBX file that I downloaded from their workshop. Thanks in advance!
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Hey guys, I'm not sure where to ask this, if you peeps know of a place more appropriate to ask these questions, please tell me, in the mean-time, here it goes:

-What kind of Specular lighting are they using?
    -Are the texture maps taking into account SRGB, or is the shader doing it's SRGB magic? (Linear Gamma FTW).
    -In the docs, it talks about Half-Lambert and using a gradient map, anyone have clues where this is happening? I know it uses a Mask in G channel, but I can't seem find any information of where the H-Lamb term is, and any model I download lacks a Gradient map to be used.
    -Some of you guys are talking about FBX files, I downloaded several models and lacked them, I'm using Max, so I'm limited to OBJ?

Much appreciated in any help peeps!
  • RDMD
    Offline / Send Message
    RDMD polycounter lvl 10
    I have tons of questiongs

first,I am making a simple model weapon first to test how to submit objects and the like,so is there like a easy steps guide to "present" the items?

I means things like format and such,because I have read that weapons has to be binded to a bone or something like that and I dont know much about bones
    also if we add a skinned item,like huskar hair,do we have to reskin it ourselfs or is automatic?
    also how can the items be "presented"? do we can just send the files like the fbx and the tgas or we have to follow a certain way?I havent tryed the workshop submit page of dota2 yet so I dont know if that is the way,that also has a viewer right?

the first page oft he topic mentioned that furion textures are higher but reduced when compiled,that means we can submit higher resolution or we have to resize it ourselfs?

those are the questions for now,will ask more if mine get answered
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    Having an issue with normal maps... for some reason my normal map is creating a dark spot on one side of my shoulder armor, preventing all specularity/rimlighting etc. I know it's the normal map causing the problem because when I set the map to a solid color the specularity works on both sides as it should.

I baked out the normal map in xnormals, did I do something wrong? It appears the blue channel is causing the problem, but I thought normal map channels are supposed to go from light on one side to dark on the other?

normal_map_error_front.jpgnormal_map_error_back.jpg

topshoulder_normal.jpg
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Ace-Angel wrote: »

I can't seem find any information of where the H-Lamb term is, and any model I download lacks a Gradient map to be used.
    -Some of you guys are talking about FBX files, I downloaded several models and lacked them, I'm using Max, so I'm limited to OBJ?

Much appreciated in any help peeps!

Hey Ace-Angel

You can also import .smd with some help from wunderboy, and some of the characters when decompiled have some associated images that look like gradients. This is what i have for axe, its a pretty old decompile now though

axe_gradient.jpg
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Cheers Lenny, and strange setup indeed.

Thanks!