Home General Discussion

Google Drive issues

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
Joao Sapiro sublime tool
Hey guys, i stupidly purchased an extended google drive license ( 1 TB ) to backup my old work stuff and recent work securely...the thing is , it doesnt allow me to sync a chosen folder...only stuff inside the google drive folder ( since im at an SSD copying my work folder just to back it up defeats the purpose of working and it syncing in realtime ) , so does anyone that uses google drive found a workaround this ? i consider this a major ball dropper on google to not add such a simple funtion.

Thanks in advance !

Replies

• Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Look into windows Symbolic links? I never used them before but people have mentioned it as a magic solution for things like this before.

though I do work like this with dropbox: All my current WIP projects are in the dropbox folder, backing up automatically. Once it;s done, i move it out and back it up manually on several drives. Actually i don't even do that last step much anymore. So just moving your workfolder might not be a big deal?
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    This doesn't really help with your situation. But in the future, try Mozy backup. Unfortunately, they provide much less space than Google; however, you can set it to backup individual folders/files.
  • WarrenM
    I do the game as Xoliul ... I just work in my DropBox and Google Drive folders. Instant back up and versioning.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I've renamed the title of your thread to be less insulting.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    not sure if its the best place to ask, but didnt seem to be any other cloud related threads,

You guys got a cloud service to recommend for using as backup/work directory?

dropbox is damn expensive for what they give you, but i use the free service and its solid. Not sure 500gb will be nearly enough tho.
    Had a look at google drive and it seems pretty good value but not familiar with it.

googling for cloud options gives a ton of options, with justcloud seeming to offer unlimited storage for peanuts, but then iv never heard of them before.

so if anyones got experience in hardcore cloudstorageing, share it!
  • EarthQuake
    Making a local copy does not defeat the purpose of backing up, that is very, very silly. You should have a large drive (1TB or more) to make local backups, and then sync that with google drive.

What if the google drive files get corrupted? What if your ssd dies? Generally its best to have 3 copies for any backup system.
  • 2cat
    Offline / Send Message
    2cat polycounter lvl 5
    Personally I have a small Zotac Zbox at home with SVN on it with 2 HDs on RAID 1( I think, the drive mirror one). So I have file versioning, a local copyon my PC, and one backup on each of my Zbox HDDs.

I use dropbox and gdrive but not to backup important or large stuff tbh.

Edit: Which isn't helpful for your current problem, but maybe this is for the future, and maybe helpful for others?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i have 3 HDD 1 TB and 2 others where i regularly make backups . i want to play safe and have the files also stored in the cloud. What i did was to "fix" the issue with google drive , was to move the work folder to the drive and create a simbolic link on the place where it was previously, so far it kept the filepaths intact and it is syncing smoothly , heres hoping !

I thought dropbox at first but 500 GB at 50 usd per month against the 10 USD per month for 1 TB made my choice easier, of course nothing prepared me for such a stupidity on google drive of not beeing able to freely sync what we want.

P.S : Adam who did i insult ?
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    I use harddrives , but I want something smoother. And id think googles or dropboxes backup and file securing facilities are at the least as secure as a triple redundancy. Definitely worth researching though.

But in my many years of free Dropbox usage Iv never had any file problems. Anyone else?

Ideally I'd like something that combines backing up, revisioning and ability to share my files across multiple locations.
  • EarthQuake
    chiniara wrote: »
    Hijacking the thread a little.

Some nice tips for backup here!
    I was looking about some cheap backup solutions , other than the cloud, and found this :

D-Link Sharecenter
    DNS-320.jpg

You can plug 2 hdds, apparently in RAID-0 and make backups over the network.

Someone have experience with this?

I'm doing something similar (the hardware is in the mail), but I'm planning on using the 1TB google drive plan as external backup as well.

A NAS alone isn't really backup, its better than nothing of course, but what if your house floods/burns down?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Four computers here... 1 PC for serving shared media (movies, photos, music), 2 PCs used by the kids and wife, and the last one is my work PC.

I use a couple external drives for local backups, plus a cloud backup. Nothing special on the externals, in fact a couple of them are USB freebies from Freecycle (which is awesome btw).

I started using CrashPlan a couple months ago, it's working great. $12.50/month, 1 year plan, less if you commit to longer.

They've been around awhile, so I don't worry about the site going dead. They let me use my own custom 448bit encryption key, which a security-conscious freelance client of mine likes. Rare to find a cloud setup with custom encryption. Dropbox is notoriously poor security-wise, look it up.

CrashPlan runs both the local and cloud backups, across multiple PCs, client is thin, unlimited backup size, continuous backup, versioning, etc.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    chiniara wrote: »
    Yeah, on top of that i would probably find a way to backup to the cloud too, 3 backups of everything, should be enough i think.

I personally like to have 4.

Local backup
    Backuping from one internal hard drive to another. it's pretty easy to automate this, pretty much backup everything use to protect from hard drive failures

Cloud backup
    Use Google Drive/Dropbox to backup your current project and cleaned up folders of finished projects, it can be nice to have an online copy you can access anywhere

Onsite backup
    Backup to external hard drive or NAS, I do this after any major project

Offset backup
    I have an external HDD at my parent's house, just in case something happens to my house and the internet, only update it once every 6 months maybe? Also make sure I don't delete old projects for nostalgia, have stuff from middle school.