Home General Discussion

aggh I hate ipads

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
well my mum decided to buy an ipad 2 and I warned her off it but she went ahead anyway. man, after about an hour I was tearing my hair out virtually everything requires a log in with an apple id.
USB sticks are not recognized. I had bought a 5 in one adapter which had an ipad 2 connector, but ipad does n't not recognise either the usb stick or the camera connector.
you have to buy specific apple adapters for virtuslly everything. totally sucks and this is me who started out using apple software back in about 1989, like aldus freehand etc but I will seriously stay away from anything apple related in future

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Going on about 3 years with my iPad 2, I love it but my girlfriend has sort of taken it over. Elderly and tablets is always a tricky combo, the girlfriend bought her parents a Galaxy Tab and it's been a bit of a disaster as well - her dad just got some message about not being able to log into his google account for 30 days, something to do with heartbleed I think?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well its not really her fault I love more customizable systems - ipad 2 is very restrictive ie i button and 1 io port.
    my beef was not about my mum, mainly that apple is a bit controlling.
    I really love my samsung note 2 tbh - had no problems at all and will probably buy an android based system for myself in future
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    she did actually try an android tablet first , but it was a really old one and put her off a bit

as a side note apparently apple reduced the power to the io port so it can't read a standard usb stick

I guess that's so you have to a buy an apple equivalent
    i mean jeez, what were they thinking when you can read a usb stick in this day and age
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    My mom ended up getting a Galaxy Tab 3 and has really loved it for the most part. Got it because it cost less than a normal laptop and she only really browses the web and reads email. I haven't seen much when it comes ot customization but overall its been great, only complaint is how slow it is to type with a touch screen.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I haven't used an Apple product in a long, long time. The last thing I used was iTunes, but I switched to Google Music shortly after it came out in 2011.

Shadownami91: While Samsung makes great products(hardware), their Android overlay is absolutely horrible and bogs down any device. TouchWiz is always being ridiculed, and they're slowly changing it for the better, but using any stock Android feature is better. Google puts their official keyboard on the Play Store if you want to try a good replacement(there's dozens of other good ones too).
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Since I can't justify the high monthly costs of owning a smart phone I'm actually considering carrying around an iPod, seems like there's always wifi of some sort I can connect to if needed.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    The last Apple product I used was this hybrid laptop/desktop dock in the mid 90s. I'm not at all a fan of hardware lockdown, nevermind software choices being so tightly controlled. I want the right to screw things up myself!

leleuxart: I've not noticed anything bogging down my Note 10.1 and aside from disabling things I'll never use (mostly Google bundled apps) I haven't changed anything. The only Samsung-specific thing I turned off was the desktop syncing, and I don't recall it having caused any issues beyond a bit of battery drain.

The only major down side I've found to it is the absurd inability to move apps to the SD card (and I do believe that's Google's fault) -- I'll still take that over using Apple's straightjacket-y restrictions, even if it means I'm missing out on apps I kind of want. Most of them are ported to Android soon enough anyway. Also, for other Android keyboards, you can keep an eye on Amazon's app store. They have some very good ones cycle through their free app of the day program and almost always have at least one whenever they make up a reason to have several temporarily-free apps up at once.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    iconoplast wrote: »
    The last Apple product I used was this hybrid laptop/desktop dock in the mid 90s. I'm not at all a fan of hardware lockdown, nevermind software choices being so tightly controlled. I want the right to screw things up myself!

leleuxart: I've not noticed anything bogging down my Note 10.1 and aside from disabling things I'll never use (mostly Google bundled apps) I haven't changed anything. The only Samsung-specific thing I turned off was the desktop syncing, and I don't recall it having caused any issues beyond a bit of battery drain.

The only major down side I've found to it is the absurd inability to move apps to the SD card (and I do believe that's Google's fault) -- I'll still take that over using Apple's straightjacket-y restrictions, even if it means I'm missing out on apps I kind of want. Most of them are ported to Android soon enough anyway. Also, for other Android keyboards, you can keep an eye on Amazon's app store. They have some very good ones cycle through their free app of the day program and almost always have at least one whenever they make up a reason to have several temporarily-free apps up at once.

Yeah, the newer devices and newer versions of Touchwiz are much better than they were before, but I still noticed a nice performance boost when I installed an AOKP ROM on my SGS3. I've also never been one for the amount of apps they recreate when Google has better/just as good(imo) alternatives. But to each his own, and that's the great about Android- you can decide almost everything to do with your device.

I think as far as the Apps2SD feature goes, I'm pretty sure it's been enabled since Froyo(2.2), so really it's up to the individual app developer to allow it.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    The only Apple product I've ever owned, and will ever own, was a 4th generation ipod I got for my sister on her birthday. I ordered it online and it was broken when I opened the box, of course Apple wanted to charge me a lot of money to get it fixed but luckily Amazon was willing to replace it for free (although I just bought a second one that day to replace the broken gift.)

I'm not sure how Apple products are so popular but my brother is obsessed with them. They seem to be very shit quality, then you have the stupid specific Apple adapters needed to connect the device to anything. It's like the products are sold solely because they come in nice designs.

Of course, I'm making an assumption about a large company based on a single experience I've had with them and I'm assuming most people have better luck than me.

On an unrelated note, I'm surprised your mother can use a tablet. I just taught my mom how to use e-mail and create folders on the desktop lol.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    leleuxart wrote: »
    I haven't used an Apple product in a long, long time. The last thing I used was iTunes, but I switched to Google Music shortly after it came out in 2011.

Shadownami91: While Samsung makes great products(hardware), their Android overlay is absolutely horrible and bogs down any device. TouchWiz is always being ridiculed, and they're slowly changing it for the better, but using any stock Android feature is better. Google puts their official keyboard on the Play Store if you want to try a good replacement(there's dozens of other good ones too).

And that works as a replacement to the keyboard it uses for everything? I guess I sort of just figured that everything from the Play Store was sectioned off to the specific apps.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    I think as far as the Apps2SD feature goes, I'm pretty sure it's been enabled since Froyo(2.2), so really it's up to the individual app developer to allow it.
    Nope, they dropped it in Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) and it's been gone since. I still have no clue why they found taking it away to be a good idea. The best reasoning I've seen is that it was supposed to be a short term inclusion to start with and that it was "too complicated" for non-technical users. Neither excuse is satisfying. I think you can still force it via root, but I'm loathe to root just for that.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    her dad just got some message about not being able to log into his google account for 30 days, something to do with heartbleed I think?

If he's got heartbleed he should be in hospital, not trying to log into his google account!
  • unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    I own Apple smartphone and Android tablet, both have problems, though I have burning hate for Apple's strict rules. A couple of months ago I literally couldn't download any podcast to my iPhone, because they managed to break the sync between PC and the phone. For maybe 3 weeks I couldn't do it until they finally updated itunes or iOS.
    I honestly would suggest anyone not to buy Apple products, especially after Steve Jobs was gone, they getting worse and worse.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Ruz wrote: »
    well my mum decided to buy an ipad 2 and I warned her off it but she went ahead anyway. man, after about an hour I was tearing my hair out virtually everything requires a log in with an apple id.
    USB sticks are not recognized. I had bought a 5 in one adapter which had an ipad 2 connector, but ipad does n't not recognise either the usb stick or the camera connector.
    you have to buy specific apple adapters for virtuslly everything. totally sucks and this is me who started out using apple software back in about 1989, like aldus freehand etc but I will seriously stay away from anything apple related in future

I'm curious what you were doing with the USB stick? Trying to load MP3s?

Ipads are great for parents because there's virtually no way they can break them. And that means you'll never get a 'tech support' call from them about it.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i had an ipad for 1 year, had to install itunes all that crap , not beeing able to use it as an USB drive like any other normal tablet, their restrictive use of the object i OWN and the fact that before each update the damn tablet would be incredibly slow and crashy put me off for life.

fuck you apple
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    Ipads are great for parents because there's virtually no way they can break them. And that means you'll never get a 'tech support' call from them about it.

^This^

A friend who knows nothing about computing devices asked me whether he should but Apple or Windows/Other. I told him to buy Apple, since everything he bought for it would just plug in and work.

Personally I hate their draconian lock-down approach. I believe it promotes a 'dumb consumer' attitude in users. In the recent past our schools bought Apple exclusively and surprise surprise, there's a distinct drop in upcoming young adults with coding skills.

That's just my 2 cents FWIW.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have an iPad3 and I use it virtually every day for watching tutorials, reading books, playing mobile games ... I LOVE it. :) And I'm not elderly... Old, but not elderly.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the recent past our schools bought Apple exclusively and surprise surprise, there's a distinct drop in upcoming young adults with coding skills.
    Not sure that's Apple's fault. You can download XCode, for free, on any Apple machine with a keyboard. It isn't like the ability to code isn't there.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Not sure that's Apple's fault. You can download XCode, for free, on any Apple machine with a keyboard. It isn't like the ability to code isn't there.

Agreed. I know plenty of folks who code with and for Apple devices. I suppose I'm saying that it seems to have been encouraged less, in my personal experience.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that's partly because there's less need to. The fascination for me, growing up, was sitting in front of my Commodore computer staring at a "READY." prompt. You almost HAD to learn to code to do anything interesting. These days, machines are amazing and the internet is there and you have a whole computer in the palm of your hand (smart phones) ... I guess there might be less encouragement, sure, but there's also less necessity. There's less of a push on that curious part of the brain...
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    sprunghunt - my mum wanted to transfer photos between her laptop and the ipad, hence the usb stick.
    so I bought her this 5 in one adapter from amazon. The ipad 2 doesn't recognize her camera sd card and the usb stick doesn't work with it either.

I honestly didn't know that apple did not support USB which kind of amazed me:/

As for this argument that the Ipad is a nice design ,so that's what you are paying for, I don't agree. It looks very basic to me.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Not to derail the thread or get too far OT but I've been volunteering at our local Code Club events, getting kids to dig that bit deeper than 'the latest app' and hopefully cultivate an interest in programming.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator

Not to mention the bloatware.
    My god, the bloatware...
    Between Samsung and Sprint, I have like half my HD overtaken by un-removable crap I'll never use.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Ruz wrote: »
    sprunghunt - my mum wanted to transfer photos between her laptop and the ipad, hence the usb stick.
    so I bought her this 5 in one adapter from amazon. The ipad 2 doesn't recognize her camera sd card and the usb stick doesn't work with it either.

But you didn't try plugging the iPad directly into the laptop before you bought these things?
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Bought an iPad about 2 years ago. I wanted it for a portable reference library. Then i loaded music, language tapes and movies on it for my trip to Europe last year.

I had debated on taking it on the trip for fear of it getting stolen, but it proved to be a life saver for purchasing train tickets and setting up hostels when i could access other means.

It also became a great camera for bigger shots when I wasnt using my smaller difital camera.

Nowadays it provides a library of books.

Everything is done plugged into my PC with iTunes.

Only thin i had to buy was the Apple travel kit for the different plugs for Italy, France and England.

I am not one to jump on a bandwagon for the latest and greatest gadget, i waited quite a while before I caved, but did a lot of research beforehand.

Like you though, it should have come with a USB outlet.
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    The iPad is great. It is simple, and powerful.
    Yes, apple is restrictive but really that doesn't matter too much. The app store has some amazing apps, and very rarely is something rejected that users feel it would be awesome to have. Most rejected apps are trash, and could potentially cause issues.

As for not being able to read a USB stick... Well yeah, it has no USB ports! You're trying to force a device to have features it never intended to.
    Blame the company who makes the 5in1 adapter as the genuine Apple iPad connection kit can transfer photos from a USB stick ONTO the iPad!
    http://www.cnet.com/how-to/secrets-of-the-ipad-camera-connection-kit/

Also there are lots of apps to use your apps as file storage.. But they all work off wifi. I don't think any can be used over cable.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    VPrime wrote: »
    The iPad is great. It is simple, and powerful.
    Yes, apple is restrictive but really that doesn't matter too much. The app store has some amazing apps, and very rarely is something rejected that users feel it would be awesome to have. Most rejected apps are trash, and could potentially cause issues.

As for not being able to read a USB stick... Well yeah, it has no USB ports! You're trying to force a device to have features it never intended to.
    Blame the company who makes the 5in1 adapter as the genuine Apple iPad connection kit can transfer photos from a USB stick ONTO the iPad!
    http://www.cnet.com/how-to/secrets-of-the-ipad-camera-connection-kit/

Also there are lots of apps to use your apps as file storage.. But they all work off wifi. I don't think any can be used over cable.

Proprietary is the word to use here.

Im all for praising apple for the hardware product they've put together, and the wonderful low latency, but there is no denying that they're actively working against usage freedom.

Teaching a generation that computers are something you consume with rather than create with ;)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly, that's how you reach the mass market. People who want to create are a minority. That's not a bad thing by any means but it IS worth recognizing.

You can equate it to television. The number of people who create TV shows is very small compared to the number who watch them.
  • Kave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kave triangle
    This thread basically seems to be " AGHHH I DIDN'T READ HOW TO DO WHAT I WANT AND BOUGHT SOMETHING I DONT NEED, THEREFORE THIS PRODUCT IS BAD"
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    eld wrote: »
    Proprietary is the word to use here.

Im all for praising apple for the hardware product they've put together, and the wonderful low latency, but there is no denying that they're actively working against usage freedom.

Teaching a generation that computers are something you consume with rather than create with ;)

I disagree. The iPad brings creation to an audience who would never be interested before.
    There are AMAZING music creation apps, really good painting apps, movie editing apps, 3d sculpting apps, programming apps, game making apps.

Because of the iPad there are people learning about all these amazing creative things that were not accessible on regular computers. These apps are cheap, simple, and intuitive.

Our app GamePress ( made a post here http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123625) is essentially bringing Unity(2d) to the iPad. We have opened up game development to an audience who has been scared off by it in the past. We already have 3 pretty cool games in the
    App Store created by our users, which with out GamePress would never have been able to do so.

Schools around the world are using iPads to teach kids to create! They are even using our app to teach younger kids programming, and game development... Which is insanely awesome. And it is not just our app. They're using other apps to teach programming, art, music, movie creation. Kids are getting access to amazing creative skills with the iPad.

In the past year or so, I have come to see that the iPad is one of the best content creation device in history.
    Maybe not the most powerful or free... But a great starting place!
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Nexus 7 all they way, isn't locked down like apple hardware, is made by Asus so has good hardware, is very powerful for its price, also isn't loaded with HTC or Samsung bloatware, just stock android.