Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Bboy
    I'll just leave this here
    1296826906504.png
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    we're not responsible for valve's choices.
    Can we move on ?
    kkthxbye
  • GG_Underscore
    if you have input and useful criticism (which is what this board is for) then that is appreciated - if you here to fanboy gripe about the game, please make a new thread and go there.

that said - i think i am pretty much done modeling the uber cannon from earlier postings. there are probably a few things that need to be tweaked here and there (like i just noticed the first support is a little too angular) but anything to improve please let me know.
    thanks in advance as always
    uber_cannon.jpg

Contrails - from reading your post i realize you aren't done yet, but i am loving the catapult. if you want a little input, what is really standing out for me is the wheels. You may want to exaggerate the iron tread that wraps around it (look up an old time wagon wheel for reference). The scoop for the rock also looks a little smooth. like they carved out a giant spoon. i don't think this is necessarily how they would have done it back in the day, but i can also understand if you made this choice for stylistic reasons.
  • ShakerSilver
    C'mon guys, let's not derail this thread into an anti-TF2 discussion, that's what Steam Forums are for. :poly142:

Anyways, I want back to my mace for the soldier, improved it, changed some stuff, here it is so far:
    render4.png

Crappy AO bake is crappy, I'll fix that later. Also, I'm thinking of removing that strap on it. Kind of pointless and not very noticeable. What do you guys think?
  • SimplyChristina
    It's pretty simple , yet this hat is the symbol of a whole region ( In my opinion ) ...
    Most people say that the Pyro is mexican , I say she or he is Asian ( why not ?! ) ... It might also be a robot but then most robots are make in Asian countries

Here is an Asian hat , I made :
    AsianHat.jpg
  • selentic
    Noors wrote: »
    I would rather not discuss the possibility that I am in fact contributing to the downfall of this game.

Ballin catapult contrails, and dead on picture Bboy.
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    uber_cannon.jpg

looks like a beast. texture it!
  • CidTheNinja
    selentic wrote: »
    Ballin catapult contrails, and dead on picture Bboy.
    Can a moderator please do something about the obvious troll, like block him or something? And don't tell me your not trolling like you told that other guy. You came on a thread for community made TF2 items and proceed to repeatedly stir up shit by telling the item-makers that they're ruining the game by making these things. It's like going to a bar mitzvah for the sole purpose of voicing your disdain for the Jews.
  • Dashtoronto
    Can a moderator please do something about the obvious troll, like block him or something? And don't tell me your not trolling like you told that other guy. You came on a thread for community made TF2 items and proceed to repeatedly stir up shit by telling the item-makers that they're ruining the game by making these things. It's like going to a bar mitzvah for the sole purpose of voicing your disdain for the Jews.

Just ignore him and keep it coming.
  • selentic
    Oh don't worry you don't need to ignore me, since there's obviously no point in me continuing to post posts that have an opinion that doesn't reflect your's. It really isn't worth my time to try and have a rational discussion with people who would rather just call me a troll because they disagree with what I say~

Bye :)
  • Dashtoronto
    selentic wrote: »
    Oh don't worry you don't need to ignore me, since there's obviously no point in me continuing to post posts that have an opinion that doesn't reflect your's. It really isn't worth my time to try and have a rational discussion with people who would rather just call me a troll because they disagree with what I say~

Bye :)

We heard your opinion. Thank you. no need to keep repeating yourself or get angry cause not everyone agrees with you. Just voice your opinion and move on.

Thank you.
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    lol selentic, man, how dare you quoting me with stuff i didn't say ?
    I'm a cool guy but that's fucking unpolite.
    Also i've tried to respect TF2 original style with the vintage merryweather and the chainsaw.
    I've tried to argue and be the devil's advocate to calm down things. I've tried to discuss and yet u shit on me. Will you also mess with all the guy posting on fps banana because their skins aren't at your taste ? Again, this is valve's choice, so go spam Robin Walker.
  • JZeeba
    Here's my first melee *weapon* for the medieval update... after all this art discussion, I think many of you will hate it XD, I don't think it fits the TF2 style and it's gigantic... but the rules of the medieval project said something like "this is not a serious event, so have fun", and I did.... here's the "Roasted Dragon Bone"... and the description would go like "The enemy demoman blew the dragon to pieces, the enemy Pyro roasted them, the enemy Heavy ate most of them, and I killed them all and kept this bone to smash your head with it!"

(still need to texture it...)

soldierhlmv02.jpg

soldierhlmv05.jpg

I tried to put it on the Pyro (because it would be like "Fire vs Fire", and because he holds it with both hands) but it just clips too much because of how he swings his arms :(

worldview.jpg
  • ColonelBD
    Ooookkaaayy maybe I shouldn't be posting this ATM, but I'll do it anyway.

Its another weapon for the Medieval update, this time based off a "Horsemans pick" War hammer for the Pyro:

blenderrender.jpg
    3rdperson.jpg
    1stperson.jpg

I saw one on google and thought it would fit. However now I'm not so sure, do you think if he held it spike first then it would look more Pyroish, or is that just pushing it too far?
  • ComfyCushion
    ColonolBD, I think the horseman's pick would look better in the soldier's hands. Of course, it looks like everyone's making soldier weapons, so I don't know.

Yet another hat from me. This time, it's for the engie. It's a pressman's hat. They're these folded paper hats printers used to make to keep ink and crap out of their hair, but the shape is also associated with carpenters, and craftsman in general. I'm calling it the Makeshift Millinery.

PressmanExample.png

PressmanColorscopy.png
  • aivanov
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Cushion, while I really like the hat, I'm not so sure whether you should make it paintable; kinda defeats the newspaper look. Up to you in the end, though.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    @Jzeeba, nice idea with the Dragon Bone. Doesn't fit into TF2 proportionally as you said, but that's part of the spirit of that Medieval competition.

@ComfyCushion, nice paper hat. A paper sailboat hat folded out of a blueprint for the Engineer was the first hat idea I had. Yours is much better though as that was the first time I made a serious attempt at modeling and yours actually has some historical basis.
  • ComfyCushion
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    @ComfyCushion, nice paper hat. A paper sailboat hat folded out of a blueprint for the Engineer was the first hat idea I had. Yours is much better though as that was the first time I made a serious attempt at modeling and yours actually has some historical basis.

Hmm. Interesting. I think I'm gonna see what it looks like as a blueprint.

[EDIT] Nevermind. It looks better as newspaper.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I think the painted versions would look better if the majority of them were a lighter tone.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm. Interesting. I think I'm gonna see what it looks like as a blueprint.

[EDIT] Nevermind. It looks better as newspaper.

Yeah the newspaper works well on your hat. I was just saying it was similar to the folded blueprint idea I had a long time ago. I agree with Jackablade too. You should try out having the paint be a slightly lighter tone.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    @Comfy, How about just making the headline colorable?

I think most hats would look better if they only had colorable parts... palette rant///

The colors are just too much imo.

Like on your hat, fully colored it barely looks like newspaper anymore so hard to tell what it is. If only the headline was colored though it would be customizable but still be recognizable.
  • ComfyCushion
    So what do I do to make it lighter. Lower the opacity of the alpha?
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    So what do I do to make it lighter. Lower the opacity of the alpha?

Sort of. Change the part of your alpha that controls the coloring to a shade of gray based on how much color you want.
  • ComfyCushion
    Okay, so I went ahead and just made the print paintable.

PressmanColors2copy.png

The first one is default. The rest are painted. What do you think?
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a lot better. What's with the green dot on his neck?
  • ComfyCushion
    That's my targeting retical. I didn't turn off my HUD.

So do you think it's good enough to submit, or is there something else it needs?
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's ready to submit. Not sure what else you could add or change. The painting looks fine now in my opinion and that was the last main issue.
  • Dashtoronto
    i think you really really really lose the newspaper appearance when you add colors to it. there doesn't really seem a point in making it different colors.

newspapers usually have only two colors only.

Black and White.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'm inclined to agree, although it probably doesn't hurt to have it in there as an option.
  • aivanov
    Offline / Send Message
    Cushion, maybe also darken the paper color a bit, as its getting somewhat over-exposed under a bright light with HDR on.
  • Dashtoronto
    Jackablade wrote: »
    I'm inclined to agree, although it probably doesn't hurt to have it in there as an option.

maybe.

but even having it as an option takes away from the newspaper 'feel' of the whole thing. i really don't understand why you would go through all the effort of making it different colors in the first place. sometimes you model designers go too far with your projects.

like, why in the world would a newspaper be colored pink, green or yellow?

like, if i was the designer, i would take the whole option of making it different colors out altogether because making it different colors just takes away from the newspaper appearance altogether - which is what its supposed to be in the first place.
  • ComfyCushion
    I'm okay with people wanting to color it. If I had one, I'd keep it the original color, but that's me. I'm willing to give people the option.
  • Dashtoronto
    I'm okay with people wanting to color it. If I had one, I'd keep it the original color, but that's me. I'm willing to give people the option.

why would anyone want to color a newspaper?

okay. nevermind. forget it.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe.

but even having it as an option takes away from the newspaper 'feel' of the whole thing. i really don't understand why you would go through all the effort of making it different colors in the first place. sometimes you model designers go too far with your projects.

like, why in the world would a newspaper be colored pink, green or yellow?

like, if i was the designer, i would take the whole option of making it different colors out altogether because making it different colors just takes away from the newspaper appearance altogether - which is what its supposed to be in the first place.

He didn't really have to go through a ton of effort to make it paintable. Just a simple alpha map controls what areas are colored. The entire coloring part of it is done through a shader that Valve made. It's not like he had to create a new texture for every paint color.

It's not really his choice whether or not the hat is paintable in the end either. It's Valve's. I submitted Sober Stuntman before the painting system even existed, and when it was introduced in the Mannconnomy update it was paintable. If he were really adamant about not having it paintable he could ask Valve to have it not be paintable, but why not give players the choice for the small amount of effort it takes.

EDIT: In response to the question you posted while I was typing this:

Why would anyone want to rename their item? Why would they want to change the description?

In real life, why does anyone get custom paint jobs on their cars? Why do people name their pets instead of calling them by their species name?

It makes it their own special item when they name it or paint it, not just a copy of the thousands of others that exist. Even if there are thousands of the same hat painted orange or purple, it still makes it feel like it's their own special version of it. They chose to apply the paint to the item so it would be more unique and special.
  • ComfyCushion
    The bottom line is these items aren't for their creators. They're for the players. And if they want to paint them, there's no reason not to let them.
  • The Scrub
    now presenting the "wheel deal" (whipped up in a day and not integrated ingame yet)

thewheeldeal.jpg

some caravan wheel ripped off by the Soldier and twisted into a weapon

alternate name would be the Frontier Spirit but I think wheel deal fits better

in case anyone is wondering the wheel is segmented so if you notice up to 4 segments on one part it's possibly not a smoothing error

waiting for registering of MS3D to complete this model because blender woefully fails for me where MS3D succeeds (rigging models)

Does this model look noisy to any of you? I think I kept it basic and at frying pan dimensions it shoudn't block to much action.
    ~2700 Tris so well below the limit
  • aivanov
    Offline / Send Message
    @The Scrub, the wheel looks great, except unbalanced - there's no way two spokes taped to each other will hold up the rest of the weight, especially when swinging. Perhaps reinforce the handle some more?
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, Valve makes choice on whether or not it's colorable. At least if you make it colorable you probably have a better chance making it look like you want with colors.

If he hadn't done the print only, Valve would probably make the entire thing colorable.
  • LVG
    Offline / Send Message
    LVG polycounter lvl 12
    First texture version, not perfect, and the seem is very noticeable, chin strap is jiggleboned
  • The Scrub
    aivanov wrote: »
    @The Scrub, the wheel looks great, except unbalanced - there's no way two spokes taped to each other will hold up the rest of the weight, especially when swinging. Perhaps reinforce the handle some more?

MILKSHAPE 3D IS IN MY GRASP!

Here is my slightly less flimsy model

fryingpan.jpg

but I think it needs enlargement
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Brass Knuckle Sandvich - just over 700 tris, 512x2, needs rigged.

BrassKnuckleSandvich.jpg

Feed your enemies some PAIN.

I figure something like:

Bleed 10% every second for 5 seconds, feed heavy 5% for 5 seconds, no krits? (basically over 5 seconds a hit enemy would lose 50% of their health and the heavy would gain 25% health.

Right now the color is overlayed on the brass, So I guess that'll have to be ao, team colored at start and someone can paint yellow for all brass.

Is there a way to make it start painted yellow?
  • Dashtoronto
    Baddcog wrote: »
    Brass Knuckle Sandvich - just over 700 tris, 512x2, needs rigged.

BrassKnuckleSandvich.jpg

Feed your enemies some PAIN.

I figure something like:

Bleed 10% every second for 5 seconds, feed heavy 5% for 5 seconds, no krits? (basically over 5 seconds a hit enemy would lose 50% of their health and the heavy would gain 25% health.

Right now the color is overlayed on the brass, So I guess that'll have to be ao, team colored at start and someone can paint yellow for all brass.

Is there a way to make it start painted yellow?

"EAT THIS"

would've been cuter.
  • The Scrub
    "EAT THIS"

would've been cuter.

Heavy's left hand only has 3 fingers and a thumb
    WAT
  • Dashtoronto
    The Scrub wrote: »
    Heavy's left hand only has 3 fingers and a thumb
    WAT

Even better.

"EAT DIS"
  • The Scrub
    Even better.

"EAT DIS"
    Great, so now he's missing a total of 2 fingers and is being played Schwarzenegger or something
  • pear
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    is that a pretty texture for my racoon fur hat?
    lolfur.jpg
  • Dashtoronto
    The Scrub wrote: »
    Great, so now he's missing a toal of 2 fingers and is being played Schwarzenegger or something

ha ha ha Schwarzenegger ha ha ha.

that would be awesome if they put in the voice and famous quotes of Schwarzenegger as the heavy's phrases.

and let me remind you, Schwarzenegger is Austrian. So that's close to Russia as you can get.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    "EAT THIS"

would've been cuter.

and call it a brass knuckle eat this?

You know what a knuckle sandwich is right?
  • The Scrub
    @pear aside from the disturbing red letters (especially the mmmmmm) my unprofessional opinion says that I think it's neat but would have to see it on a model first
    try to keep the noise down though because TF2 design philosophy (at Valve HQ: OUT THE WINDOW!) states that characters and weapons are less noisy compared to the backdrop or etc.

And now it's time for the real "Wheel Deal"
    It may seem weird because it is at an angle.
    I have now submitted "The Wheel Deal"
    fryingpan.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    pear wrote: »
    is that a pretty texture for my racoon fur hat?
    lolfur.jpg

Would be best to see it on hat, but I think it needs more contrast AND color. Skunks are black and white, Racoons are brown/white
    raccn2.jpg

Oh, and it looks like your fur goes both ways on the tail, should just go one way.