Home General Discussion

Do you prefer Video or Text tutorials?

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
Hi Guys,

I am thinking of preparing some tutorials, but I am not sure about what is the best format. I would like to know your opinion before spending some time on them, and also if you can come up with further pros and cons for either type.

Video - (i.e. Substance Designer #9 - Working with FX-Maps part 01)

Pros:
- Requires less effort to follow than text
- Shows the full procedure step by step

Cons:
- Difficult to retain all the information seen (usually requires multiple views)
- Difficult to browse and search for specific information
- More difficult to make right and edit (plus I am not a native English speaker)

Text - (i.e. Analysing a Stone Texture)

Pros:
- Can go deeper in details by adding further information, i.e. maths
- Simple to browse and search, all the information is available at the same time

Cons:
- Requires more effort to follow than a video
- Might skip on some simple operations that could make a beginner stumble
- Probably requires more time to make than a video

Thank you

- Enrico

Replies

• Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    text with short embedded videos if you need them
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    step by step text, pictures, short video clips where necessary.

i find it tiring to sit through videos unless they are really quick and to the point feature demonstrations. worse if you have to listen to audio to be able to follow (it's not always on at the machine).
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    It depends on the subject. For something like Zbrush, or painting in photoshop I generally prefer videos. But Substance Designer, or node network stuff (material editor, blueprints) looks much clearer in the text format.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    When I was still newer to 3D I preferred Video and I liked seeing how people worked and moved around the program. Now I prefer text because it seems a lot faster. Alot of times video tutorials have a good chunk of information I already know and have to sift through.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    coots7 wrote: »
    When I was still newer to 3D I preferred Video and I liked seeing how people worked and moved around the program. Now I prefer text because it seems a lot faster. Alot of times video tutorials have a good chunk of information I already know and have to sift through.

This initial learning of a package ya sure a video can help a lot. But once you already know your shit, and am just looking for a new way to approach a problem. Text is much more efficient.
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Allegorithmic's video stuff has been fantastic to get into the software with, but looking up a specific function later is a pain. Trying to remember which video it's in and where is very hard. The tutorials that I keep coming back to for years is text w/ good pictures.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Text tutorials mainly, but if they are supplemented by video its a plus, as long as there is text regarding whats going on in the video.

The main reason is that it's much, much easier to search for specific subjects in a text tutorial, which you can't do in a video, unless you fast-forward through it all to see IF the video actually have anything about the subject in hand covered.

On the other hand, videos is much better at showing exactly what you need to do, and how it's done, especially as mentioned with tutorial like ZBrush, about brush strokes ect.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm a speedreader, so getting the information I need from a text tutorial is so much faster then having to watch a video.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    depends on the tutorial,

I like both text and video tutorial,

I made text tutorial with interactive image because , in my personal experience, I always want to skip video because I understand most of the step , but often in video i dont have option to do this.

( i even state this on my tutorial : " if you know about zbrush sculpting you can skip to next point )

if you make tutorial on YouTube you can always divide the tutorial by time section ( with explanation ) in video description , that would help a lot
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Videos are much better for beginners but when I need something now I prefer text/images. Much quicker.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Painting - video.

Almost every thing else - text.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Both for the same reasons everyone else said. Beginner tuts definitely work better as videos imo, but more for more advanced tutorials or anything blueprint/programming/material related text is the way to go.

Probably also depends on the individual producing the tutorial, IE some people are better at presenting in real-time, speak clearly, etc. whereas others are great at describing their process in text/image format.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    text.
    because it can be translated, which is great for the 100s of artists in my studio who don't speak English
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Video. All day.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I personally like videos, but only when they're straight and to the point. If you really want it to be good, script out what you are saying in the video.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Videos, so I could take my own notes about the process.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I like professional videos or at least approached professionally. If someone wants to spend the first 4 minutes getting their PC set up and talking about their cat, I'm not interested.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Videos for learning software, as long as they aren't over explaining basic things.

Text + pictures for things that aren't application specific, or take a lot of time to setup, but very little time to explain.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Usually text so I can go on my own pace. Videos are often too slow and I get sleepy/bored
  • .nL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    I really like having text with a sped-up video of what's happening. That way you can scrub through the video for illustrative purposes, while reading at your own pace, instead of the speaker's.

I used to like video tutorials, but after the introduction of youtube's 2x playback feature, I just don't have the patience to sit down and wait for someone to finish their sentence before I get the information, so I just don't use most video tutorials.

I think ZacD's description perfectly illustrates where each is most effective, though.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Yeah, I like professional videos or at least approached professionally. If someone wants to spend the first 4 minutes getting their PC set up and talking about their cat, I'm not interested.
    But what if the cat is really, really cute?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unless the cat knows how to use MODO, the cuteness doesn't factor in.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sites like lynda.com have a feature where you can adjust the video playback speed. That helps if the speaker is a slow talker. Jack it up to 1.5x or 2.0x and it's still understandable but over in half the time.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I can filter faster through a good text tutorial, with images.

If the video is bookmarked, which has been rare for items like Youtube videos, I put them at equal footing with good text tutorials. Otherwise, I sort of balk at even spending 15 minutes of my time trying to scrub through for what I exactly need. Everyone who bookmarks the timecodes on their youtube videos, ya'll are super cool. :)
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    99% of tutorial videos on youtube is a pure torture to see.

Or maybe I just don't have a patience to see 30 minutes of video with a core information that could be passed in just a few clever structured paragraphs.

Perhaps just because the writing something down requires you to think a bit more of how make the information clear and not "war and piece " size.

Although once the video would have a kind of tags to core sentences /information so I could skip all the mm...., oh..... and "it should be there" I would prefer video in such case
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Short videos with marked chapters (such as time markers in the youtube description) so you can skip to a particular point.

I can't stand tutorials that don't skip things or at the very least fast forward through the redundant content.

Explain something, give a few different examples of where/how you might use the thing then move on. I don't need to see 40 minutes of you doing the same shit over and over.
  • Shadowstep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadowstep polycounter lvl 9
    Text. Easier to parse, faster to read, lets me go at my own pace.

Video tutorials are never useful unless motion is important and if that motion cannot be conveyed by a series of pictures.

Practical examples: I want to find out more about support loops for hard surface modeling. I'm not going to watch a 30-minute tutorial for 15 seconds of information. With text it's just Ctrl+F, 'loop', done.

Example 2: I want to find out more about what each option does for the smoke simulator. Text can describe vorticity and temperature or whatever, but a video tutorial can show me what each option does in motion.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't go overboard. If you don't like videos, that's fine. Just move on. :)
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    It depends on the tutorial.
    I find painting/sculpting tutorials easier when its realtime in a video format.

However, if it were a tutorial on baking texutures from xNormal, it would be much more helpful as a text document.

Essentially if the tutorial is based on technique then a video would be better. If its about a framework of some sort, text would be better.

Basically its what everyone else is saying here.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Typically, you're not watching a video tutorial to find out about a specific keypress or how a specific button works. You're watching it to learn a technique or get an intro to a piece of software or something.

Using videos for quick info is probably going about things the wrong way.

EDIT : See this sort of thing is better handled by the documentation your app comes with:

"Practical examples: I want to find out more about support loops for hard surface modeling. I'm not going to watch a 30-minute tutorial for 15 seconds of information. With text it's just Ctrl+F, 'loop', done."

However, if you want to know what support loops do, how subd modeling behaves, etc. then you can't beat a video.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Gifs. With explanation text.
  • xrg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    If they're done well, I don't have a preference at all. I do seem a lot more likely to casually watch a video even if I feel I'm pretty knowledgeable on the subject though; so I voted video.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    It depends, IMO with zbrush techniques (or painting type stuff) it really helps to see how strokes are laid down, and hear a description of why to do it that way or how certain settings affect the result etc...

Whereas more technical stuff tends to be better suited to text and images.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Definitely video.

Some text tutorials feel just like this image.
    GEyZB9z.jpg
  • dougj7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dougj7 polycounter lvl 6
    I prefer video tutorials if they are done correctly. Here's what I consider to be an ideal example of a video tutorial:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q93pE5jB1Uw[/ame]
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I hate videos where they are speeded up to show for example a four hour sculpt in 2 minutes. it shows me nothing really. you can't even tell what buttons/brushes they are pressing half the time.

Also i don't need to know how/where the guy saves his files to his hard drive. surely they must think it's a good idea to edit out any non relevent stuff.

I really prefer text based with a few pics, It's just easier on the brain and eye.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    dougj7 wrote: »
    I prefer video tutorials if they are done correctly. Here's what I consider to be an ideal example of a video tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q93pE5jB1Uw

That would be a nice tutorial if I could skip all the basic stuff of how to create material , extrude the text ,blah blah.. and it give a tag or frame number directly to dissolving part

As of OP tutorial video (fx maps) it's not bad but still have a lot of parasite information noise. Could stil be compressed a lot if you get rid of all that advertising parts of how it's cool and simple etc and keep only how it works
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think some of you view video tutorials in the wrong light. If you need a fast answer right now because you're blocked at work, a video tutorial isn't the right choice. However, if you're winding down at night with your ipad on your patio with a beer in hand, then watching a video on something you aren't totally familiar with is a solid choice.

Focusing on how quickly the information enters your head means that video is really never the right choice for you.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz wrote: »
    I hate videos where they are speeded up to show for example a four hour sculpt in 2 minutes. it shows me nothing really. you can't even tell what buttons/brushes they are pressing half the time.

Also i don't need to know how/where the guy saves his files to his hard drive. surely they must think it's a good idea to edit out any non relevent stuff.

I really prefer text based with a few pics, It's just easier on the brain and eye.

Speed modeling/sculpting videos are just masturbation. I don't count those as information sources. Entertaining perhaps but, as you said, the odds of you learning anything is low.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I think some of you view video tutorials in the wrong light. If you need a fast answer right now because you're blocked at work, a video tutorial isn't the right choice.

But this is precisely the issue - sometimes, videos are the only source for a given piece of information, in which case they become quickly frustrating. It happens often for Zbrush stuff for instance.

Regarding the original question : I can't really vote, as I like both depending on the subject matter. That being said, video tutorials should come with timestamp/bookmarks more often.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sometimes, videos are the only source for a given piece of information, in which case they become quickly frustrating.
    Well, that can't be helped then. But it doesn't mean that video tutorials as a resource are a problem - it more means that the app you're using has poor documentation.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    kary wrote: »
    Allegorithmic's video stuff has been fantastic to get into the software with, but looking up a specific function later is a pain. Trying to remember which video it's in and where is very hard. The tutorials that I keep coming back to for years is text w/ good pictures.

Its basically this.
  • CafeNight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CafeNight polycounter lvl 5
    best video tutorials I ever seen Its was zclassrrom series provided by Joseph Drust
    he is not trying teach you how sculpt but he teach metods of sculpting anything
  • Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gungriffon Geona polycounter lvl 18
    I've never found a video tutorial for Zbrush that isn't either long-winded as all hell or the person isn't actually interested in teaching. Atleast when it comes to youtube anyway. Traditional subdivision modelling goes by alot better, atleast.

Honestly though, text+image tutorials aren't much better. Why does the Joan of Arc tutorial STILL get recommended when A: the subdivision model is outdated and parts of it just don't work, and B: 80% of the poly flow for it is not up to modern standards? It's really weird.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I suppose because nobody has created a better one yet.
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks Guys,

lots of good points I didn't consider. It is clear that whether it is better a video or a text and images tutorial depends on the content that needs to be shown. Sculpting and painting tutorials work better in video format, while technical and more abstract tutorials are better represented in text format. In the former case, the procedure itself: specific teacher's gestures, strokes and step by step instructions are a relevant part of the lesson, while in the latter case the information provided do not depend on the teacher's skills.

It is also interesting that introductory to intermediate tutorials can benefit from the video format, because they guide through every single operation and show them happen. They should not provide too much information, but rather give a general idea and let the user pick up the software without being completely clueless. On the other hand intermediate to advanced tutorials work better in text and images form, because the user often refers to specific parts and the ability to search and quickly find the information needed is crucial. On top of that the text generally does not set a pace -unless it's very verbose, therefore slow- and the reader is able to set it for himself.

The links I added in the opening post are not random. I selected something comparable and close to what I would like to work on. Given the nature of the subject matter, I think I will stick with text and images.

Thank you very much

- Enrico
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    With text you also have an easier time with expanding or editing a tutorial after you made it.
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    I really prefer text. Videos do have their uses (I used a lot of videos in leanring how to Max for example) but I always, always use a text version if it's available. I find it much easier to follow and I can go at my own pace. Having to Start/Stop a video constantly quickly becomes a chore and puts me off what I'm focusing on.

A good example is Substance Designer. I'm trying to learn it but almost all the tutorials I find are video and given it's node based, the narrator will often speed through elements without saying why they're important or simply won't mention it at all.

I remember one tutorial I tried following where the narrator was suddenly having a box appear letting him choose a new node but he didn't explain what he'd done to bring it up. I had to pause the video, Google how to add new nodes, come back when I figured it out and start again, completely breaking any flow I had going.

That being said, if they're planned out well, they can be really good. Whalebone's tuts are awesome, for one.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I remember one tutorial I tried following where the narrator was suddenly having a box appear letting him choose a new node but he didn't explain what he'd done to bring it up. I had to pause the video, Google how to add new nodes, come back when I figured it out and start again, completely breaking any flow I had going.

Yeah, this kind of situation is extremely frustrating. I can tell that them making video guides comes from a good intention, but it really is less than ideal.

There is however one way to make things a little bit better, which is to include keyboard and mouse input in the corner of the video. Blender has this with the "screencast keys" add-on, and there are a few third party programs available for this purpose too. It's far from a perfect solution since it doesnt cover the issue of a video not being searchable, but at least all the information is displayed on-screen for the viewer to look into.