Home Technical Talk

Zbrush - does not handle 2 uv channel

dyo_ooo
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
dyo_ooo polycounter lvl 9
I did a sofa in 3d with zbrush, made a low poly version, ready for working with unreal engine 4 so with 2 UVs channel.

Then I found some mistake in the anatomy of my sofa so why not export the low poly to zbrush with the move brush arrange a little bit; and surprise, surprise, I export in fbx and re-import into unreal and my uv 0 (where I have my normal map) are now the uv 1 for the lightmap, and where is my original uv for my texture ?
No where !!!

anyway I test to export my mesh from max in obj to test and same thing.

So to conclude zbrush keep only one uv channel.

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    The obj format also only supports 1 UV channel.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Yes Zbrush only handles one UV channel, this isn't news.
    If you didn't change your topology it should take you 5 seconds to transfer your extra UV sets in any proper 3D app after having modified the mesh in Zbrush though.
  • dyo_ooo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dyo_ooo polycounter lvl 9
    I didn't know that.
    Yes of course bal.
    Anyway thanks
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    out of curiosity - how does zbrush handle uv channels when using the FBX format? anybody know what it retains?
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    thomasp wrote: »
    out of curiosity - how does zbrush handle uv channels when using the FBX format? anybody know what it retains?

I just tried it. Exported a sphere with 2 different UV channels, brought it into zbrush with the fbx plugin, sculpted a bit, exported it back out with the fbx plugin, and imported back into maya.

It only came back in with one UV set called DiffuseUV, this UV set was the more recently created set too, and the little sculpting I did within zBrush changed the UVs, didn't really know if it was any good because it was simply a planar projection.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    m4dcow wrote: »
    I just tried it. Exported a sphere with 2 different UV channels, brought it into zbrush with the fbx plugin, sculpted a bit, exported it back out with the fbx plugin, and imported back into maya.

It only came back in with one UV set called DiffuseUV, this UV set was the more recently created set too, and the little sculpting I did within zBrush changed the UVs, didn't really know if it was any good because it was simply a planar projection.

thanks for trying. looks like it will drop any channel other than the first.

as for your UVs having changed, i suspect it'S not FBX's fault but rather you accidentially had 'suv' - smooth uv, next to the divide button - toggled on:
    http://docs.pixologic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/4R6-Geometry.jpg