Home Technical Talk

Photoshop CC TGA error

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Lamont polycounter lvl 15
Has anyone encountered this error:

Layered PSD file with alpha channel, do save-as and image will retain the alpha channel. If you flatten the image and do a save-as, the alpha channel is lost. Will give it a shot when I get home (latest at home)

I would hope this isn't in the latest.

Version 2014.2.1

It's like 2002 all over again...

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Doing a Flatten then Save As works for me in 2014.2.2. There is an alpha channel in the saved file.

I'm sure you know this but make sure Alpha Channels is checked in the Save As window, and you are saving as a 32-bit file.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    was that in 2002? i remember getting screwed by PS dropping the alpha channel. made it a habit since to double-check freshly created TGA's to see if it sticks around after saving.

or are you referring to their interpretation of some spec that caused TGA's to import with the transparency pre-applied, forcing people to re-use the TGA plugin from older versions? typical coder prank. :)
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    thomasp wrote: »
    or are you referring to their interpretation of some spec that caused TGA's to import with the transparency pre-applied, forcing people to re-use the TGA plugin from older versions? typical coder prank. :)
    This one. Those were dark days.

Monster I will give it a shot now.

I did it and of course it is working... I know exactly what.

Saving from PSD/Flattened PSD to TGA the Alpha Channels option is checked.
    Saving from non-flattened PNG to TGA the Alpha Channels option is checked as well, but..

Saving from flattened PNG to TGA the Alpha Channels option isn't checked by default.

Thanks for the heads up Monster.