Home General Discussion

Using plugins in studio environment

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
I want to buy a couple of plugins for 3d Max and I was wondering if it is a common practice in most studios to let people use their own plugins in the 3d package that studio licenses? Quad chamfer for example.

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    very much depends on the studio, like at my work i got full access to my computer and can put what ever i want on it.

as long as you can still fit your art into the pipeline it should be fine
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Simply ask your lead, whom will bring the request up to IT and purchasing.

This has been brought up in the Paintstorm thread - I personally have never encountered *any* software with a license allowing for both "home and studio" use. Some do allow for multiple installs on different machines, but that's not the same thing as multiple licenses ...

Also, another reason for simply asking your lead about it is that if you don't do things by the rules and the studio gets audited, the studio could be in trouble. Now of course a tiny plugin would likely slip between the cracks, but that's not an excuse to not do things properly...

Last but not least, your team might have a spending budget to meet in order for said budget to be approved for the next year, therefore buying some copies of a useful plugin might actually be a good thing for everybody.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    pior wrote: »
    I personally have never encountered *any* software with a license allowing for both "home and studio" use. Some do allow for multiple installs on different machines, but that's not the same thing as multiple licenses ...

IPackThat, Marmoset Toolbag, Pro version of Substance Deisgner/Painter?

And to get back to the question. I'm more or less able to install anything on my machine as long as it's not pirated. It's actually pretty nice as some people will find a plug-in or software that really improves a certain workflow and before you know it licenses are purchased for people.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beef, I really don't think so ... Taking Toolbag as an example, the website states this :
    Toolbag 2 introduces a new, flexible licensing method: the Marmoset ID. Upon purchase your entered email address becomes your Marmoset ID. Wherever you go, your Toolbag license comes with you. Activate your license on any machine, Mac or Windows, logging in with your Marmoset ID.

To me that means that a person with a license can *run* the program easily on any computer (which is very handy when it comes to showing a quick demo to anyone interested), but that does not mean that buying the program/license once allows anyone to use it both at home (for, say, freelance work, or even just personal portfolio art) and at a studio working on other projects. I would think that anyone doing so is basically abusing the flexibility of the system.

On Substance :
    One User per License
    Users must purchase a license for each individual using Substance Designer Pro and any other paid Substance products. For Substance Designer Pro and all other paid Substance products, you may install such products on as many computers as needed for use only by the same user. You may not use installations simultaneously.

To me that's the same thing here ... I wouldn't consider "John Smith working on his own stuff or contracts at home" to be the same "user" as "John Smith working at studio X on a given game project".

Another way to look at the issue would be to imagine the reverse scenario : I wouldn't expect to be able (or more precisely, legally allowed) to use a piece of software from work on personal projects at home.

But then again, the only safe thing to do is to always ask the IT and purchasing departments.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually don't have a lead to ask yet, I just want to avoid a situation where I become fully reliant on a plugin and then the rug is pulled from under my feet.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There might be cases where you just won't have the choice though. Some people have to use Max when they would prefer to use Maya, and vice versa ...

That being said, it would be very foolish for anyone running the purchasing department of a studio to refuse the purchase of a $40 plugin, therefore you don't have much to worry about really :)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another way to look at the issue would be to imagine the reverse scenario : I wouldn't expect to be able (or more precisely, legally allowed) to use a piece of software from work on personal projects at home.
    So you believe that if you purchase, say, a copy of 3DS Max you can't use it for professional and hobbyist projects both? You have to pick one?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am not sure what you are getting at here ? Of course if you purchase a license of the software, you can use it on your own hobbyist stuff as well as contract work (although with the current rental systems, studios outsourcing work to freelancers could very well provide temp licenses for the duration of a project, which is great !)

I just wouldn't expect to be allowed to, say, use my own license of MayaLT or Modo (that I can use at home, on personal projects as well as contract work) at a studio that I am a fulltime employee of.

Now of course I would be more than happy to be proven wrong on this - it's just that at all the places I worked at it in the past it was clearly not possible/allowed, for multiple reasons. Legal reasons first and foremost, but also as mentionned above for the sake of budgeting.

I actually witnessed the case of people using the multiple installs allowance to, indeed, install a given program that they originally purchased for themselves on their workplace computer ... only to be told later on to stop doing that. It sucks, but it happens.

One simple reason for that : Let's imagine that someone "brings over" one's own license of a given package, ultimately establishing a very solid pipeline saving a lot of time. If this program has been installed behind the back of IT and purchasing, then this expense just isn't in the books. This can cause major issues when the next year comes around, since all of a sudden the budget attributed to an artist workstation + the relevant software licenses doesn't match the reality of the project anymore.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i think bigger companies always view this with suspicion and will prefer to acquire a license themselves even if the licensing terms might suggest it's doable to use a personal license.
    in a small/indie studio obviously anything goes.

i've seen past employers of mine bend over backwards to e.g. buy somebody a seat of modo (the only one in a 300 person studio) or softimage when the teams and internal pipelines generally required max or maya.

i would advise against getting too reliant on plugins or closed source utilities and scripts in general though. they might just vanish one day or stop being compiled for the host application and suddenly you'd have a problem on your hands.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp wrote: »

i would advise against getting too reliant on plugins or closed source utilities and scripts in general though. they might just vanish one day or stop being compiled for the host application and suddenly you'd have a problem on your hands.

I don't think it's possible for me though. Most apps have very lacklustre features but it's fixed by community.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    pior wrote: »
    I just wouldn't expect to be allowed to, say, use my own license of MayaLT or Modo (that I can use at home, on personal projects as well as contract work) at a studio that I am a fulltime employee of.

I actually contacted The Foundry customer support and specifically asked if I could use it both at home and at work. They basically said yes, as long as I am the only one using the license and told me to make sure to uninstall if I ever left the company.
  • Clos3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clos3d polycounter lvl 17
    If the said software you want to add have a commercial license and you are using anything else than that, you should not install it.

In any other cases, it shouldnt be any problem unless the studio have a different code.

Remember that the studio make the game, not you
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lefix, Clos : that's exactly my point. It might be possible, and even in some cases, legal (as in the example of Modo here) but chances are that the policy of the studio itself might be different ; and the bigger the studio, the more strict these things get.

... and then of course there's Blender :)
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    Ah, well, If the studio won't allow it, even though the license does, there is not much you can do :D
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Ask IT

They will want to check the tool to make sure it doesn't have anything suspicious in it as well as to make sure it wont break any proprietary tools your studio has.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    The only answer to this is asking people at your studio like IT or your Tech Artist, rules change per Studio.

Like one of my old coworkers really has no control over what apps and plugins he gets access too. Where in my situation I'm aloud to use any tool i want as long as my work that goes into version control is compatiable with Maya in the end.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Ask yer' future boss, problem solved.

I'm pretty sure a company that knows what they're doing would pay for a plugin if the amount of time saved by using the plugin is greater than the amount it costs for the plugin. Production = Time, Time = Money. Software is probably the least expensive cost for most things when you add it all up (well, maybe coffee..)

Probably the only time they might not buy it if it's either ridiculously expensive for what it does, already have a better solution than what the plugin offers in their pipeline, or is something that is so damned specific that it really would only be used one time. Just my 2 cents anyways / haven't actually worked at a large studio yet.

Hell I'd just buy another copy of quad chamfer myself if a company wouldn't pay for it.